Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

optogirl wrote: »
    Is one of the things you dislike about LO'N that she tends to generalise and put words in people's mouths?

You came to the thread to pass judgment on the posters...

You said...
    "this thread is beyond weird. Ye are obsessed"

Do I owe you some duty of care now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Relikk wrote: »
    It's not weird, at all. It just means the scope of your internet usage doesn't include the numerous other places where she would appear, or where her name would be mentioned.

The scope of my internet usage includes other places online where she would appear, or where her name would be mentioned, and yet her name appears more here than anywhere else. Weirdly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I keep thinking that people keep starting new threads on her but then I realize someone changed the title of this one again. Maybe that's it...

Just rename it "The Louise O'Neill Fan Club" and be done with it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The scope of my internet usage includes other places online where she would appear, or where her name would be mentioned, and yet her name appears more here than anywhere else. Weirdly.

It's one of the few truly anonymous spaces left on the internet. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable airing their views about her on social media with their real names attached, since rather sadly, we're living in an age in which the repercussions professionally, academically, and socially of going against the Twitterati can be rather extreme.

The BS that opposing any aspect of feminism automatically means someone wants to see women return to being imprisoned in the home and not being allowed to work, vote or f*ck as they please is still rather endemic. Even though feminism no longer just means equality, being anti-feminist still means being anti-equality. So many people I know and I suspect far more than just them, simply keep their mouths shut about it and remain glad that they're not the latest in a long line of people in recent years to be fired, or banned from social media, or their work banned from having a platform if that includes speaking, writing, singing, etc, for the mortal sin of publicly disagreeing with the hive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I have to say I'm enjoying the name changes, I dont post in the thread much, or read it at all, but it still gets a smile out of me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I think there’s a culture of misandry in Ireland. Don’t ask me to prove it though.

Take any Irish newspaper. Count all the negative articles about men : toxic masculinity, how boys and men need to change and be reeducated, on consent solely framed as the man's responsibility. Now count all the negative articles about women. Even Michael McCallum, a convicted drug smuggler, was celebrated as some kind of hero.

Now do the same with positive articles. Misandry is rampant in Ireland.

QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I have to say I'm enjoying the name changes, I dont post in the thread much, or read it at all, but it still gets a smile out of me

I secretly love LON. My guilty pleasure. Without her I'd have nothing to post about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Andrei Sisko

It's not weird at all. People on after hours discuss things the mainstream often do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Weirdly.

Nope. Still not weird. It's a discussion forum. I try to avoid anything related to MMA and Conor McGregor during my daily browsing, yet I see his name here more than anywhere else, simply because my original point stands. Do I think that's weird? Certainly not because I understand what Boards is and don't feel the need to put unnecessary labels on topics just because I don't see them elsewhere or agree/disagree with their content.

professore wrote: »
    Now do the same with positive articles. Misandry is rampant in Ireland.

I wouldn't agree that Misandry is rampant in Ireland as such. I'd say that there is a definite movement in the media and official circles to bring about Misandry. Thankfully, most women I've encountered have the brain cells and personal experience required to realize it's only a relative minority of men who are sexist, aggressive, etc.

TBH at some stage we're going to have to tell the media and the government that feminism is not fashionable anymore and genuine equality is the aim. Otherwise, within a few generations, you will see misandry rampant in Ireland due to media conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

optogirl wrote: »
    it's just that each time I log into Boards I see her name but rarely see it anywhere else. It's a weird thing.

I always thought it was just me but obviously not..

Outside of boards I never hear her name mentioned at all. In fact the only reason I have any notion at all about who she is, is from reading boards.

I'm neither seeking validation for this view nor casting judgement on anyone else's lest anyone of the more "liberal" among us get their knickers in a twist.

Just agreeing with the other posters who've also noticed that strangely, she seems to get a lot more coverage here then anywhere else where you might expect to see her sorts of views in abundance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Swanner wrote: »
    I'm neither seeking validation for this view nor casting judgement on anyone else's lest anyone of the more "liberal" among us get their knickers in a twist.

I don't think it would be the more liberal among us that would get their knickers in a twist about that view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Relikk wrote: »
    It's not weird, at all. It just means the scope of your internet usage doesn't include the numerous other places where she would appear, or where her name would be mentioned.

I have honestly never seen her name except for here. Everytime I see the thread I'm amazed that it's still going and that people are still posting about her.

And I'm left wing. I should technically see where she's active but I don't. I think it's because it's right wingers who obsess over her and so because I don't go to right wing sites i don't see people bitching and obsessing over her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Grayson wrote: »
    I have honestly never seen her name except for here. Everytime I see the thread I'm amazed that it's still going and that people are still posting about her.

And that's fine... It's really nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

And I'm left wing. I should technically see where she's active but I don't. I think it's because it's right wingers who obsess over her and so because I don't go to right wing sites i don't see people bitching and obsessing over her.

She was on the Late, Late a few times. She writes for a national paper. She was on with Daithí O Shea the other day. She has written books that for some reason sell very well.

So if watching TV, reading the paper or opening up a book makes someone right wing...

She was on the Late, Late a few times. She writes for a national paper. She was on with Daithí O Shea the other day. She has written books that for some reason sell very well.

So if watching TV, reading the paper or opening up a book makes someone right wing...

I don't watch TV and if I did I wouldn't watch the late late. I don't own a radio either. I'm not even sure who Daithí O Shea is.

I get all my news online. Through news apps, websites and twitter. And I'm a news junkie. I spend most of my day online, either at my desk in work or on my phone.

Plus, and this is important, the poster I replied to specifically mentioned internet usage. Which is why I specifically mentioned internet usage. Neither they, nor I, ever mentioned the TV. So you can draw whatever conclusions you want from your TV usage but don't put words in my mouth.

It seems like every tweet or article she writes is posted here. It's very weird that people obsess over a c rate blogger in that way. And this is the only place I've ever seen her mentioned. There's thousands of posts in this thread about her and it's the second thread.

If people are seeing her stuff online it's not on any of the left leaning sites that I frequent. And it's not left wing people who post her stuff here and obsess about her.

I'm not even sure who Daithí O Shea is.

Off-topic, but I'm very jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a certain kind of person that watches the Late Late and Daithî OShea. They are three times more likely to be right wing than liberal. That's according to a Red C pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It seems like every tweet or article she writes is posted here. It's very weird that people obsess over a c rate blogger in that way. And this is the only place I've ever seen her mentioned. There's thousands of posts in this thread about her and it's the second thread.

Yeah, it is very odd the amount of stick she gets from posters here.
    I watched her on the Late Late a few weeks ago and she came across quite well.
    That stuff she said about her grand dad was disgusting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I wouldn't vote for her because I don't even know what she looks like. I just keep seeing this dumb thread in AH that someone keeps changing the title of.

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I wouldn't vote for her because I don't even know what she looks like. I just keep seeing this dumb thread in AH that someone keeps changing the title of.

Grow up.

Sounds like a bad case of the boo-hoos and minus-craic syndrome.

Off-topic, but I'm very jealous.

between netflix and torrents etc I watch a lot of TV shows but I don't ever watch a TV channel. On the few occasions I'm at someone else's house and I end up watching TV I get insanely irritated by the number of adverts. :)

btw, I googled him and he has an annoying face.

I heard that Louise O'Neill sleeps in an oxygen tent which she believes gives her sexual powers

I heard it gives her sexual powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I heard it gives her sexual powers!

Ah bollocks I meant to edit and deleted it. My Simpsons reference, gone to waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is she actually planning on running, or is this just some misleading creative take on the thread title?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The thread title changes are annoying. I keep thinking I'm subbed to a thread I don't remember reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don't watch TV and if I did I wouldn't watch the late late. I don't own a radio either. I'm not even sure who Daithí O Shea is.

I get all my news online. Through news apps, websites and twitter. And I'm a news junkie. I spend most of my day online, either at my desk in work or on my phone.

Plus, and this is important, the poster I replied to specifically mentioned internet usage. Which is why I specifically mentioned internet usage. Neither they, nor I, ever mentioned the TV. So you can draw whatever conclusions you want from your TV usage but don't put words in my mouth.

If people are seeing her stuff online it's not on any of the left leaning sites that I frequent. And it's not left wing people who post her stuff here and obsess about her.

Yeah well most people do watch tv and the LLS is one of the most watched shows in the country so to insinuate only ‘right wingers’ are encountering her in their nazi websites is dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Is she actually planning on running, or is this just some misleading creative take on the thread title?

Like all of the recent title changes, pretty sure it's just a p1sstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,423 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes of course she is running

• Advertisement

No official announcement has been made yet, as far as I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement