Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If she's an author am I the next Stephen Hawking for being able to use a calculator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

chrissb8 wrote: »
    If she's an author am I the next Stephen Hawking for being able to use a calculator?
    I don't get the questioning her being an author - she clearly is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Zulu wrote: »

Cool

Zulu wrote: »

I agree 100%. She is a great fiction writer.

She is convinced what she writes about is real so much so that she reports on it in her column as if it is real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I agree 100%. She is a great fiction writer.

She is convinced what she writes about is real so much so that she reports on it in her column as if it is real

Original%252520Oh%252520You%252521%25255B5%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Because the lads blessed with massive dongs and who can get hard on command may not be all blessed in the looks department.

And usually have something messed up in the mentality dept. Like rapists or violent towards women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I agree. And people who say Ireland has a rape.culture have justified it. You just don't agree with their justification. Which is fine. But don't pretend that they haven't justified it.

'Flat Earthers' believe what they believe is true too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

She should stick to writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Her party might be called Men Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dangerous is defo an extreme. Louise, given that she has a following, some might say that she has responsibility to be a role model, and give a little more thought before posting or stating an extreme position on something.

Does she have that much of a following? I'd expect it to be relatively minor. There are probably youtubers who make slime that have bigger followings (This week I found out that apparently slime is a huge thing and there are youtubers who make their livings making slime videos). Plus are her positions that extreme? Is she worse than Brenda O'Brien or Katie Hopkins (Just to mention two controversial female authors)

Incidentally, earlier this week I said I had never seen here mentioned online anywhere except here. Today I saw a photo of a book called "repeal the 8th" and her name is on the cover as one of the authors. So now a photo of her name appeared on my twitter feed. It's no longer accurate to say this is the only place I've seen her.

• Advertisement

She's gonna have a month of material to write about now, with that secondary school 'rape list'. She'll also manage to relate it to Northern Ireland, Listowel, Powerful white men, Toxic masculinity etc.

Instead of disciplining the kids, and telling the parents to sort out their crap...nope, you'll get LON trying to destroy them, like she did the people of that 'facebook group' that never existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

She's gonna have a month of material to write about now, with that secondary school 'rape list'. She'll also manage to relate it to Northern Ireland, Listowel, Powerful white men, Toxic masculinity etc.

Instead of disciplining the kids, and telling the parents to sort out their crap...nope, you'll get LON trying to destroy them, like she did the people of that 'facebook group' that never existed.

I'll wait to see what she actually says before castigating her for it. The school have come out and said it happened and is trying to help the girls targeted.

I have to say I do find the story disturbing and not one I can shrug off in a 'boys will be boys' manner. That's not the behaviour of well adjusted young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Has it been proven its definitely a boy who has done it, or was it a girl as a prank or even the School caretaker who was using the toilet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Grayson wrote: »
    Does she have that much of a following? I'd expect it to be relatively minor. There are probably youtubers who make slime that have bigger followings (This week I found out that apparently slime is a huge thing and there are youtubers who make their livings making slime videos). Plus are her positions that extreme? Is she worse than Brenda O'Brien or Katie Hopkins (Just to mention two controversial female authors)

Incidentally, earlier this week I said I had never seen here mentioned online anywhere except here. Today I saw a photo of a book called "repeal the 8th" and her name is on the cover as one of the authors. So now a photo of her name appeared on my twitter feed. It's no longer accurate to say this is the only place I've seen her.

Well, she writes articles for nationally distributed magazines and newspapers, appears on nationwide TV and has an online presence enough to merit threads on boards.ie (not just in AH) and other fora.
    So yeah, I'd say she has a bit of a following alright.

I'm not going to compare her to others, as that's just not what I do. But yes, I would think that she takes an extreme side on what she is vocal about and posts/writes about it.
    I think that a little more thought and balance put into her opinions would probably lessen the abuse that is thrown her way, and probably offer a better conversation on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Her party might be called Men Out!

I heard in a surprise move, they're opposing the repeal the 8th amendment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

So.. she's ranting over Chris Brown but still hasn't addressed her gushing praise of 2pac?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So.. she's ranting over Chris Brown but still hasn't addressed her gushing praise of 2pac?

You do know that 2Pac's sentence was reduced and he was released from prison early as new evidence was presented that showed that he did not commit rape?
    I think his charges were reduced to 'groping' or something like that. Still not cool, but, there's a lot of other factors in that particular case that don't add up.

It's rather unfair that he has been called out as being a rapist on this thread a few times now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You do know that 2Pac's sentence was reduced and he was released from prison early as new evidence was presented that showed that he did not commit rape?
    I think his charges were reduced to 'groping' or something like that. Still not cool, but, there's a lot of other factors in that particular case that don't add up.

It's rather unfair that he has been called out as being a rapist on this thread a few times now.

Beautiful irony.

#IBelieveHer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Absolutely, and that's why he came out and said he would never right a song about female struggles again as during the trial he felt women (some that were his friends) just took the female's side and all he had done before was somehow forgotten. Brenda Had A Baby, Keep Ya Up and Dear Mama were songs written about issues women face. I've always been surprised that feminists in particular never latched onto Keep Ya Head Up as there's a prochoice line in it that basically says it's abortion is none of men's business.

But anyway, yeah, it's unfair that people speak about him as some rapist when in all likelihood is account is far closer to the truth than the what the woman's was (if her statements since his death are anything to go by at least).

Ah thats ok so. He's a true woke bae

• Advertisement

Louise O'Neill has not made one comment about the rape of the girl out in Prague on her twitter feed. Not a single one. And yet she has plenty to say when a poor irish damsel tweets her to relay a story of what she heard an Irish man say at the weekend :confused:

The level of hypocrisy is off the scale. The girl is rancid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Louise O'Neill has not made one comment about the rape of the girl out in Prague on her twitter feed. Not a single one. And yet she has plenty to say when a poor irish damsel tweets her to relay a story of what she heard an Irish man say at the weekend :confused:

The level of hypocrisy is off the scale. The girl is rancid.

By far the worst was the deafening silence from her Twitter feed when Ali Selim publicly defended female genital mutilation. For someone who apparently considers themselves some sort of feminist advocate that's quite shocking. I mean, she'd have been quite right to call him out on it, and would certainly have gotten a lot of support on here for speaking out. But no...

I'll wait to see what she actually says before castigating her for it. The school have come out and said it happened and is trying to help the girls targeted.

I have to say I do find the story disturbing and not one I can shrug off in a 'boys will be boys' manner. That's not the behaviour of well adjusted young lads.

Oh I completely find it disturbing-to say the least. We can tell if someone's screwed up in the head from a very young age-and these guys and their 'list' is completely indicative of a screwed up nature-Not mental Illness, more like psychopathy or sociopathic nature.

If someone relates this to 'boys will be boys' then they've also got it all wrong. Boys will be boys would be 'who's the hottest girl' list-not 'who's the one you'd violate and permanently destroy their life' list.
    By far the worst was the deafening silence from her Twitter feed when Ali Selim publicly defended female genital mutilation. For someone who apparently considers themselves some sort of feminist advocate that's quite shocking. I mean, she'd have been quite right to call him out on it, and would certainly have gotten a lot of support on here for speaking out. But no...

I've said it once, I've said it again-including the 'Prague' case. She doesn't expect anything 'better' from those involved in the Prague case because she's intrinsically racist herself.
    She expects no better from em. It's the sjw mindset.

The rest of us see good and bad people-not skin colour, not sexuality, not gender or sex-just good and bad people.
    I don't care who you are-when you hurt someone else, you're a piece of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

All I can think of right now is what feminist friendly socks would look like...

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

py2006 wrote: »
    All I can think of right now is what feminist friendly socks would look like...

blue_q_womens_more_feminism_crew_socks_grande.jpg?v=1502472431

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

Surprised that Louise O'Neill novels aren't available as audiobooks yet, I've been checking Audible all month and there are none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Surprised that Louise O'Neill novels aren't available as audiobooks yet, I've been checking Audible all month and there are none
    Read by Joan Burton

Ah thats ok so. He's a true woke bae

Just a bit of sexual assault but he was a woke bae so it's classed as "not cool"

Is there not a lot of female voices on rte, tv3 and irish radio? This taken from today's guff in the examiner
    It does make me wonder if perhaps it’s not my accent that is annoying these people, but my voice. Perhaps they don’t like the fact that I am a strong woman with strong opinions and I am not afraid of expressing those opinions.

There has been much discussion around the lack of female voices in Irish media, particularly in radio, with the oft repeated apocryphal wisdom that people turn the station when they hear a woman speaking. Women are criticised for speaking too quickly, for indulging in vocal fry, that our voices are too high pitched and ‘girly’ and annoying. Is it our voices that are annoying? Or the fact that we are actually using them? People used to say that the secret to Kate Moss’s success was that she never spoke. Is that what people want from women? Do they want us to be seen and not heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^I grew up with Anne Doyle and Evelyn Cusack delivering the news and weather to me. The patriarchy is slipping

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement