Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I have two questions...
    What's a Woke Bae?
    and
    What's a Blindboy?

A woke bae is a boyfriend or (usually male) significant other who is progressive and enlightened in general.

Blindboy Boatclub (to give his full name) is a Limerick "Comedian" with a Spar Bag over his head that has somehow become the "voice of a generation" of young men.......in his own head anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

A woke bae is a boyfriend or (usually male) significant other who is progressive and enlightened in general.

A Blindboy Boatclub (to give his full name) is a Limerick "Comedian" with a Spar Bag over his head that has somehow become the "voice of a generation" of young men.......in his own head anyway.

Ah sh*t - I knew that one!

Thanks UG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do I want to know what a woke bae is ???

Isn't bae Danish for sh1te?

McGaggs wrote: »

I thought it was a British defence contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

McGaggs wrote: »
    Do I want to know what a woke bae is ???

Hopefully tell ya after we win tomorrow night!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Blindboy Boatclub (to give his full name) is a Limerick "Comedian" with a Spar Bag over his head that has somehow become the "voice of a generation" of young men.......in his own head anyway.

It's upon reading things like this that makes me proud not to be on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ipso wrote: »
    It's upon reading things like this that makes me proud not to be on twitter.

Its getting harder to escape the stupidity. These days, someone saying something unfortunate on Twitter can be the basis of an entire article or news segment.

As for LON, its difficult to say where the blame lies. She may be the one grunting and huffing over the bucket, but its everyone else tucking in with spoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm hoping that as this nonsense increases and as they retreat deeper into their echo chamber, that these morons will start to have some kind of purity test to prove their ideology to each other and they will eventually eat each other when someone doesn't say the right thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    I still don't see how rape fantasy means wants to be oppressed. It's a fcuking horrific phease to use. Implying that certain women want to be raped.
    That is not what it means. FFS. *heads desk* Did you even read the link regarding rape fantasy? Clearly not. You just read "rape" and that's enough for you to go off all word pavlovian, no nuance, no understanding.
    "Men need feminism". No, they don't. They need "feminism", a sociopolitical doctrine that lays the blame for all the bad in the world at the feet of men/patriarchy, like they need a hole in the head. It's akin to asking the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia to advise Catholics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Grayson wrote: »
    I think it's very rare anyone says all men are responsible.
    It is rare but not that fringe either. It's appearing currently - for instance that thing with the 15 or 20 rules men should follow in order to show that they're not sexual predators. I mean, I'm a woman (and would probably be seen by some as a feminist) and that stuff is just downright astonishing to me, so I can only imagine what it's like to men.
    As for a drunk guy grabbing you, is it assault or something less. Well, can't it be both. No-one is saying that it's the same as rape but if sexual assault was a spectrum it would be on that spectrum. And it shouldn't be acceptable no matter what gender or orientation does it.
    It shouldn't be accepted. I didn't accept it and told them get their hands off me and do not do it again. But people can be arseholes unfortunately and we need to deal with them instead of wondering whether it's a police matter.

If any such man were verbally abusive to me, I would put money on other men nearby absolutely dashing to my defence. That is how I experience men for the most part.
    I can understand why some men feel under siege when they see all the #metoo stuff. But the correct response to hearing this stuff isn't "But we're all not like that". The correct response is simply saying "that is unacceptable. Those guys are cnuts". To say "not all of us are like that" is making the situation about yourself rather than the victims and the perps.
    Yeah but whenever I see this stuff about false rape allegations being through the roof, I get so annoyed because I wouldn't dream of doing such an horrific thing, neither would any woman I know... crikey, it's not even in our vocabulary.

It goes without saying that such women are c*nts.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

anna080 wrote: »
    I think she's trolling. Surely nobody could be that much of a gobshlte?

No and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Id love for RTE to commission an interview with her father and any male relatives and see what caused her to have this much disdain for males....It would be fascinating

Id love for RTE to commission an interview with her father and any male relatives and see what caused her to have this much disdain for males....It would be fascinating

She'd block it before your head could start to spin!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno how informative it would be TBH TD. The seed can grow in all sorts of ways, both good and bad, regardless of the soil that is tilled for it.

I've personally seen that with families I've known. Where there was a solid home life, with good parents on form, where one kid out of a few went AWOL for no obvious reason, or families that were less than healthy and the kids turned out fine. Many scenarios can certainly affect the outcome within families.

In my humble the more oddball stuff wearing the mask of majority thinking we see these days is more about the natural angst of growing up, mixed with some familial issues, or not, but the social environment plays the biggest role.

Anyone with any tendencies to over passionate introspection, even to the point of narcissism is well served by what can appear to be a groundswell of similar minded folk, easily found by a cursory search on Google. As the pro ana sites encourage eating disorders, so the Tumblr/Twitter/Facebook muppets encourage echo chambers of various nonsenses and ego reinforcement just as readily. The worry being that some are seen as more "acceptable" and worthy of promotion than others. Particularly if they get the clicks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Men need feminism". No, they don't. They need "feminism", a sociopolitical doctrine that lays the blame for all the bad in the world at the feet of men/patriarchy, like they need a hole in the head. It's akin to asking the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia to advise Catholics.

I'm all for feminism as in genuine equality, but that's not what feminism has become. The new feminism isn't interested in equality; it just wants to create a different set of inequalities. If I'm being told that real equality isn't an option and that I can only choose between inequalities, then I'll chose the one that benefits me, because if it's just about a privilege-grab, then why not?

“From now on I'm thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?”

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

You're just another male feminist, unable or unwillingly to admit that the misogyny in Islam is a far greater threat than anything in the west.

Parts of Europe are becoming unlivable for women. Case in point the parts of Paris where women are invisible,the Muslim dominated areas. And fair play, there were some French feminists fighting that.

I hope women see you 'allies' for what you are, cowards.

And 'where are these feminists that defend cultures that oppress women?' They do so through their silence. Where were the slut walks in Rotherham?

In the case of the sexual assaults on women by muslim refugees in Cologne a couple of years ago and similar cases in Sweden the reaction from the left was either silence or mealy mouthed statements about racism like in the link below.

http://time.com/4182186/sweden-feminists-sexual-assault-refugees/

In the case of the sexual assaults on women by muslim refugees in Cologne a couple of years ago and similar cases in Sweden the reaction from the left was either silence or mealy mouthed statements about racism like in the link below.

+100

Amazing how hordes of men can actually prey on women, committing actual sexual assaults and nothing.

Sky News had a "heart wrenching" story yesterday about the trafficking of women by Rohyngan men. Outrage, prayers, thoughts, what can we do....

Yet when its in Rotherham - silence.

Neither is right but look to yourselves first.

In the case of the sexual assaults on women by muslim refugees in Cologne a couple of years ago and similar cases in Sweden the reaction from the left was either silence or mealy mouthed statements...[snip]

Sorry but I can't let that go unchallenged. Una Mullally wrote a piece on it....several days later, granted, but better late than never, I suppose. She was quite forthright in her condemnation, and concluded that the problem was...wait for it...all men. <boggle>

storker wrote: »
    She was quite forthright in her condemnation, and concluded that the problem was...wait for it...all men. <boggle>
    If you read the Swedish link above that's the conclusion the Swedish "feminists" came to as well. Regardless of the background it was just the usual excuse to say "it's men!". Again the "feminist" credo remains intact: women are always agentless victims and it's always men's fault.

In the case of Cologne, some feminist groups marched with Pegida in a protest against the New Years Eve Attacks....

....and got Water-Cannoned for their troubles.
    If you read the Swedish link above that's the conclusion the Swedish "feminists" came to as well. Regardless of the background it was just the usual excuse to say "it's men!". Again the "feminist" credo remains intact: women are always agentless victims and it's always men's fault.

The problem Wibbs is that Third and Fourth Wave Feminists see only two groups of people.

Victims and Perpetrators.

And if you do not 100% support everything that the victim group believes, you are a perpetrator.

For them, there are no shades of grey. You are either one or the other.

• Advertisement

In the case of Cologne, some feminist groups marched with Pegida in a protest against the New Years Eve Attacks....

....and got Water-Cannoned for their troubles.

Really ??? That's nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I seriously doubt there is anything like that in her past. I listened to her Irishman Abroad interview and read a few of her articles and she seems to come from a very normal background. She's just a great wind up merchant, which is different from a troll, she believes the core arguments of what she says but exaggerates and pushes buttons at all the right moments to stir up controversy. She's more of a Lauren Southern than a Katie Hopkins.

Wibbs wrote: »

"We want education on gender equality for refugees. But when we demand this, we are countered by other feminist groups who say that when you make this argument, you are supporting anti-immigrant groups."

So, something that would directly support refugee women gets jettisoned because it might indirectly support anti-immigrant groups.

No wonder the latest wave of feminists have also declared war on logic itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Oh, is she back? The last I heard of her was when she was complaining about culturally appropriated Halloween costumes. Native American Indians and so on.

You're not allowed to admire anything about a historical character or group because since they happen to have black skin, you are only allowed to feel the pain of their collective history. 'cause that's all there is to black people, apparently. Slavery. American Indians = the pain of colonialisation. According to her anyway

Oh, is she back? The last I heard of her was when she was complaining about culturally appropriated Halloween costumes. Native American Indians and so on.

You're not allowed to admire anything about a historical character or group because since they happen to have black skin, you are only allowed to feel the pain of their collective history. 'cause that's all there is to black people, apparently. Slavery. American Indians = the pain of colonialisation. According to her anyway

I guess we have to stop eating potatoes. "Cancel that order of chips!"

That cultural appropriation malarkey is such BS. This history of humanity is one of cultural appropriation. People see things that work, look nice, improve things, etc and decide to use them too. It's a compliment, for crying out loud.

Let's stop white kids from listening to rap music too. Actually, yes let's, seriously but because it's sh1te. Or is that a racist comment now...?

storker wrote: »
    I guess we have to stop eating potatoes. "Cancel that order of chips!"

That cultural appropriation malarkey is such BS. This history of humanity is one of cultural appropriation. People see things that work, look nice, improve things, etc and decide to use them too. It's a compliment, for crying out loud.

Let's stop white kids from listening to rap music too. Actually, yes let's, seriously but because it's sh1te. Or is that a racist comment now...?

I'm reliable informed it is because it's their way of expressing how they feel about their mistreatment and to denigrate it is to minimise their struggle.

Or some such ****e like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

My primary school teacher coloured my face brown to play a wise man in the school nativity play.
    #imsorry

I'm trying to infiltrate the cultural appropriation fearing feminists to have them cancel Halloween as it's the appropriation of a pagan Irish religious festival.

I've been meeting deaf ears so far, they seem to enjoy dressing in lingerie then daring men to look at them too much!

My primary school teacher coloured my face brown to play a wise man in the school nativity play.
    #imsorry

When the Wayans Brothers are done for "whiteface" then I"ll take ****e like cultural appropriation seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

....what caused her to have this much disdain for males....

Well, long story short: Louise had a couple of negative experiences with guys growing up, along also with some health issues which she struggled with for well over a decade and indeed at some level I'm sure still does. Her turning point appears to have come when at a really low point (whilst working for Elle magazine in New York) she met a therapist who helped her. While it's of course cool that she helped Louise, and genuinely hope she doesn't ever feel that low again, the downside is that the therapist was a feminist and it would appear that part of her recovery involved adopting a third wave feminist mindset.

All just my opinion of course but here are some extracts from a few interviews which perhaps explain why I arrived at that view:
    "I was walking down St Patrick's Street in Cork, wearing a vest top, because it was summer. You know when you're that age, you're not conscious of your body in that way. I just remember these guys walking past and one of them brushed his hand against my breast and said, 'Oh look at the t*** on that'. And I was 12. I was a child. I think it was the first time I had this sense of 'Oh I'm not actually a human being, I'm a 'that', I'm a collection of body parts'. And they can be touched without my consent."
    "I had had anorexia and bulimia as a teenager.

"When I was 18, I was sexually assaulted. I couldn't quite piece together what had happened, so I just put it in the back of my mind. When I got older, I was telling my therapist the story, and she said, 'You know, you didn't give consent in that situation.' I was like, 'I don't really understand what you're saying.' It just wasn't even a conversation I was used to having."
    Then 21, she became a residential patient in Saint John of God Hospital. "It doesn't define me because most of the time I don't think about it. But three months in this hospital environment, I cannot explain the experience of that. The middle of the night, people coming in with torches to shine in your face. Other people in the ward trying to escape from their room.

"At Christmas I remember they put up the trees and had Christmas music, and it was just the most depressing thing. I drank a litre of water before they weighed me, because I was like 'please just let me home for Christmas." Her friends were a wonderful support but also a reminder of all she was missing.

"There was never one day that people didn't visit. They'd be talking about boys or what they'd done that Saturday night, and it was just this horrible feeling of, they'd leave, and I'd go to bed, and be like 'I'm 21, this is not supposed to be my life'."
    I had a massive relapse with anorexia while I was working in Elle, and then I started seeing a really good therapist. She was a really strong feminist, and tried to get me to understand how my idea of my place in the world as a woman, and my idea of what my body should look like, was playing into the fact that I'd had an eating disorder."

It was a "feminist awakening" that would go on to inform all her work from that point.
    I wasn’t sure what to do when I came home. I decided to take a year out and said this is it, I’m going to write, now or never. Having taken the year off I felt I had to give it 100%. I became like a hermit, just me and my laptop and my book. I was able to write full time, five hours a day, six or seven days a week.

Writing Only Ever Yours was cathartic. The process of going back to it day after day, working through it and letting it come, forced me to face my greatest fears of not being good enough, or not doing something perfectly. I started in March 2012 and had a draft by the end of August.
    While I feel eating disorders are normalised in the world of the story, I would hope that the reader realises that my intention was to highlight how seductive dieting can be, and how dangerous it can be to be seduced by that. The School uses weight as another tool with which to control the girls, the same way that the ‘Beauty Myth’ is used in a patriarchal society to manipulate and oppress women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement