Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe mode on a FullHD monitor

• 12-11-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't know whether this is the right forum, please move where appropriate if needed.
    I have recently had my PC rebuilt (case, mother board, SSD, RAM) at a PC shop and they installed an OEM version of Win10 Pro, the previous PC had Win7.
    I'm working on a job that requires more windows opened at the same time (Internet browser, Excel, Image editor, File manager, etc). All these windows are sized to my need and placed in different places over the monitor workspace, even if they all overlap somewhere.
    Now, it happens that when the monitor output goes into energy saving mode (monitor OFF) and I wake it up later, all windows are reduced to a smaller size and piled up in the top left corner of the monitor.
    They told me it's a Safe Mode engaged by the video card, which is embedded in the mother board, and that resize all windows to an 800x600 size and move them to where any monitor can handle them. But to me it's a bit of a nuisance. Any idea on how to solve this problem?
    The PC has an ASRock mo.bo. , 8GB RAM, CPU Intel I5-7500 3.4Ghz.
    The monitor is an Acer H243HX (Full HD) connected via HDMI.
    If you need more info, please ask me (and explain me where/how to find it).
    Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi all,
    I don't know whether this is the right forum, please move where appropriate if needed.
    I have recently had my PC rebuilt (case, mother board, SSD, RAM) at a PC shop and they installed an OEM version of Win10 Pro, the previous PC had Win7.
    I'm working on a job that requires more windows opened at the same time (Internet browser, Excel, Image editor, File manager, etc). All these windows are sized to my need and placed in different places over the monitor workspace, even if they all overlap somewhere.
    Now, it happens that when the monitor output goes into energy saving mode (monitor OFF) and I wake it up later, all windows are reduced to a smaller size and piled up in the top left corner of the monitor.
    They told me it's a Safe Mode engaged by the video card, which is embedded in the mother board, and that resize all windows to an 800x600 size and move them to where any monitor can handle them. But to me it's a bit of a nuisance. Any idea on how to solve this problem?
    The PC has an ASRock mo.bo. , 8GB RAM, CPU Intel I5-7500 3.4Ghz.
    The monitor is an Acer H243HX (Full HD) connected via HDMI.
    If you need more info, please ask me (and explain me where/how to find it).
    Thanks for your help!

That sounds like something I'd say to someone if I wanted to get rid of them, to be honest.

How okay are you with using regedit? Try this here, as it seems to fix the issue you have.

EDIT: It's also possible that you need to update your graphics drivers, even if there's nothing showing in Windows Update. Pretty sure that you're using the Intel Graphics, but either way, just go to the manufacturer website and download the latest drivers for your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

CatInABox wrote: »
    That sounds like something I'd say to someone if I wanted to get rid of them, to be honest.

How okay are you with using regedit? Try this here, as it seems to fix the issue you have.

EDIT: It's also possible that you need to update your graphics drivers, even if there's nothing showing in Windows Update. Pretty sure that you're using the Intel Graphics, but either way, just go to the manufacturer website and download the latest drivers for your card.
    Hi, thanks!
    I'm never very comfortable when stepping into regedit, however that article sounds like the issue I have.
    What if I do any damage to the register?
    Yes, it says Intel HD Graphic 630. I will also check for update in the Acer website, provided that my monitor is still supported :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd check Acer's website, but also look at Intel's as well. Intel will probably have newer ones, so I'd use those.

If that doesn't work, then the regedit option is still there. Regedit can totally screw up your computer if you're just messing around in there, but following a guide, you should be ok. Just double and triple check everything to be sure.

It's also entirely possible that it's not related to those registry settings, so I'd definitely explore other options first actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

d31b0y, I wouldn't like to entrust this issue to an external app. Furthemore, by what I have read in the comments, not all users were satisfied with it.
    As soon as I have some spare time I will search the new drivers, if any. I'm sure that the solution must reside in the operating system.

• Advertisement

OK, so I checked online for new drivers for the monitor and the graphic card.
    Acer website had the last updated driver in 2010. Intel had a very recent update, that I have downloaded an installed, but nothing changed...
    Well, I guess I have to stay as I am.

If you can get hold of a real video card, even a low end one, you could try that instead. It sounds to me like the screen resolution is changing alright, what could be happening is that the monitor is no longer being detected when it is turned off.

I do have an old video card, the one I had in my old PC. I hope it is supported, I mean, it's 10 years old...

I could have a try as soon as I have some spare time to open the new PC and insert the card in it.

Why isn't he monitor being detected again when it is turned on?

I do have an old video card, the one I had in my old PC. I hope it is supported, I mean, it's 10 years old...

I could have a try as soon as I have some spare time to open the new PC and insert the card in it.

Why isn't he monitor being detected again when it is turned on?

The problem is when the monitor/Windows goes to sleep, it thinks that the monitor is disconnected, and so reverts to rendering a much smaller resolution. When everything starts back up again, it thinks you've reattached the monitor, but the changes made to the windows due to the resolution change are still there.

Perhaps you monitor has an On Screen Menu? Try out a few of the power/sleep settings in there if possible? In fact, what is your monitor?

Advertisement