Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten-Free Cafes in Dublin 1?

Options
  • 12-11-2017 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just taken up a new job in Dublin 1 and I'm trying to find places I can eat on my lunch.

Can anyone recommend casual places to eat on lunch in the area? I'm pretty close to O'Connoll St. I spent my first week of lunches dropping in and asking and it was a huge waste of time. I've Googled and much info. is years out-of-date. Last week I brought in lunches which was great until I noticed I keep getting asked to do work on my lunch so I want out of the office.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Beshoffs on O'Connell Street have a separate fryer for GF, and can do GF Fish and Chips. So can Beshoff Bros over on Dame Street.

Couple of places in the Italian Quarter; Koh, Bread & Bones, Cactus Jacks, Boojum, Pitt Bros - all have GF options.

Not really Cafés, but all will have lunch options. In my experience, Cafés are so focussed on bread, wraps and cakes etc.. it's not really worth the effort.

I know places like Itsa and O'Briens will make up GF sandwiches etc, but you have to ensure they change prep tools etc.. and crazily, O'Briens even advertise that they don't use a separate toaster for GF toasted sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not sure how reliable this is, hope it helps.

http://www.glutenfreedublin.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Thanks all.

In the area, if you're looking for a sandwich to go etc.:

Supervalue on Talbot street.
    Unlike most places, they don't ask you to buy your own gluten-free weirdo bread, they'll open a pack for you on request and make whatever you want, and they don't charge extra. The only strange looks you'll get are from other ppl in the queue who think you're a dummy being trendy.

O'Briens
    They charge extra for gluten-free, which is ****ing ridiculous.

Soma
    O'Connoll St., by the Spire. It's an American burger joint I think I heard. I asked for a salad and fries (huge selection of types of fries) with a milkshake and I was happy.

Avoid - Dunne Stores. One I was told buy your own bread we'll make it, the next, they were like nope **** off. Done with that.

I met a girl getting a gluten-free sandwich right after me, I was delighted to meet another. She told me she had to eat at the same place every day. I told her all the places I tried, she was over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Thanks all.

In the area, if you're looking for a sandwich to go etc.:

Supervalue on Talbot street.
    Unlike most places, they don't ask you to buy your own gluten-free weirdo bread, they'll open a pack for you on request and make whatever you want, and they don't charge extra. The only strange looks you'll get are from other ppl in the queue who think you're a dummy being trendy.

O'Briens
    They charge extra for gluten-free, which is ****ing ridiculous.

Soma
    O'Connoll St., by the Spire. It's an American burger joint I think I heard. I asked for a salad and fries (huge selection of types of fries) with a milkshake and I was happy.

Avoid - Dunne Stores. One I was told buy your own bread we'll make it, the next, they were like nope **** off. Done with that.

I met a girl getting a gluten-free sandwich right after me, I was delighted to meet another. She told me she had to eat at the same place every day. I told her all the places I tried, she was over the moon.

Thanks for the report back!
    You probably know this already if you're Coeliac, but if getting chips anywhere, check what else is fried in their fryer. They're very often boiling gluten baths.

And keep an eye on the surfaces/utensils used for GF sandwich making.

(apologies if I'm preaching to the choir!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Thanks for the report back!
    You probably know this already if you're Coeliac, but if getting chips anywhere, check what else is fried in their fryer. They're very often boiling gluten baths.

And keep an eye on the surfaces/utensils used for GF sandwich making.

(apologies if I'm preaching to the choir!)

No thank you! I really didn't think about that. I've got some of it under wraps but not all. It's the most innocent things...that has gluten sometimes.

Oh by the way Tesco has a great selection of Christmasy foods for us and not all of it that pricey. Puddings, pies, everything. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement