Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I fix these brakes

Options
  • 12-11-2017 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

My brakes are not working on the front wheel and I made an agreement with myself a while ago to make all attempts to fix minor problems myself before bringing it to the bike shop.

I have tinkered with it but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Video attached.

https://youtu.be/dqAd11wT7ic

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SurlyBoy wrote: »

Video attached.....
    No video.

(I think you need to have 50 posts before posting a pic/video).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SurlyBoy

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried uploading a file directly but it just won't work. Do you have any suggestions??

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The pads need to be near to the rim (like a couple of mm) before you pull on the brakes. They're far too far out.

There are several possible causes. Some brake levers (or brake calipers) have a quick-release lever or button which is designed to help you remove a wheel without letting air out of the tyre. If you have one of those it could be in the open position.

Failing that your cable is just too slack. Slacken it even more by screwing that barrel adjuster most of the way in. Then loosen the retaining bolt that clamps the cable, pull more cable through, tighten it up, use the barrel adjuster to fine tune.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Some brake levers (or brake calipers) have a quick-release lever or button which is designed to help you remove a wheel without letting air out of the tyre. If you have one of those it could be in the open position.
    i'm guessing that's it - you can see what looks like such a mechanism in the open position just where the cable is clamped.

Yeah I'd 99% it is as suggested the break release left open. Happened to me a few months back after I'd patched a puncture on the road as I'd not remembered a spare tube. I closed it then but left it open after I'd changed the tube at home.

I always give my breaks a pull before heading out and was like what the hell is up there. Felt like some dope when after over an hour of messing around herself arrived home and immediately said the release was open :o

A few weeks prior shown her how to change a tube etc and made a point of telling her to double check the breaks afterwards, the smug in her lasted about a week after that one :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, but my SRAM and compog brakes work even when the release is fully open, which suggests to me the cable needs a tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My Ultegra brakes also work if the release is left open, just not as well. The Sora bike just doesn’t work if I leave the release open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

My Ultegra brakes also work if the release is left open, just not as well. The Sora bike just doesn’t work if I leave the release open

Given that the video is tektro brakes on a viking bike, I suspect the Sora behaviour is a better frame of reference :pac:

Ok, well that explains the frenzied shrieking I got from someone on a group ride a few years ago who discovered my brakes were "open" despite working perfectly well. Obvs it's more of an issue on some brakes than others.

Advertisement