Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Hair Dryer after 11 months

Options
  • 12-11-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

The missus hairdryer just packed in. I dug out the receipt for 21st Dec 2016 and when she brought it back she was told that she would have to return the item to Bosch. My understanding is that the contract is with the retailer and it is they who should offer a remedy, at least a repair? Is this true?

Thanks
    Kerril

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You're right it's the retailer you have a contract with and who has to fix the problem by offering you a repair, replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

kerril wrote: »
    Hi all,

The missus hairdryer just packed in. I dug out the receipt for 21st Dec 2016 and when she brought it back she was told that she would have to return the item to Bosch. My understanding is that the contract is with the retailer and it is they who should offer a remedy, at least a repair? Is this true?

Thanks
    Kerril

Straight back to the retailer with the receipt, if they want to send it off to Bosch then they can do that!

You’re correct. Your contract is with the retailer so they can’t refuse to take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kerril

Thanks,

I'll send her back in stating the sale of goods act.

Does it make a difference that the fault occurred 11 months after purchase? This retailer operates in the UK and I think in the UK after 6 months the onus is on the consumer to show the product was faulty? They may well be stating company policy that they have adopted from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,088 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your contract is with where you bought the item. However if you buy a TV, fridge, washing machine etc in Power City you usually contact the manufacturer as it'll be covered under the warranty.

I would have thought that for a small item like a hairdryer the retailer would send it off for you. I bought a coffee machine in Power City. I knew I had it close to a year but asked them anyway. They tracked the receipt through my phone number. It was 2 months out of warranty but they just swapped it for a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,088 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you bought it online from the UK it falls under EU law, not UK law and if bought here in Ireland you can use EU or Irish law but Irish sale of goods act is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you have a contract with retailer, and can use that avenue for redress. they should offer you one of the 3 r's repair/replace/refund.

However if it suits you you can also contact the manufacturer and use their warranty. this is on top of your consumer rights. Bosch may offer a replacement. If your wife doesn't want to make a claim at hairdresser or its quite a trip etc. then manufacturer route might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

You're right it's the retailer you have a contract with and who has to fix the problem by offering you a repair, replacement or refund.

Can you refuse a repair and insist on a replacement if say the device was newer?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vudgie wrote: »
    Can you refuse a repair and insist on a replacement if say the device was newer?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Retailer is not saying it correctly.

Whilst they are responsible for correcting the issue, they can request you to contact the manufacturer's agent directly to ensure best and quickest result for the customer.

You can refuse this and insist on the retailer taking the item, returning it themselves to the agent / manufacturer and the agent / manufacturer sending back to them repaired for you to collect.

Choice is yours, but in most cases the best option will be direct contact.

Btw - I presume you checked that it doesn't just need a fuse replaced in the plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What is the guarantee period for the hairdryer. How much did hairdryer cost. How much will it cost you to go and do all the faffing after eleven months. What happened to hairdryer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Bosch website says they will repair / replace small appliances under warranty within 5 days.

A further 12 months warranty is then provided.

http://www.bosch-home.ie/customer-service/repair-service

Advertisement