Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Arts degrees really such a bad idea?

Options
  • 12-11-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I really want to do something that involves working with children, I have a passion for it.
    I found out about the Arts with Children's Studies course in NUIG. It sounds right up my alley! I can also get a degree in French/German & Law if I do it.
    My parents want me to do a business or science degree but I really have no interest in either.
    I'm one of the top students in my year, so people just assume I'm going to go into medicine or something because I "will get the points for it" or whatever, despite the fact I'm really weak at maths, it's my only pass subject & I usually get 70% in tests

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Not sure I understand what you are asking.
    Are you asking, I want to work in childcare, is this the best course to take? Or, I might want to work in childcare, is this course a good all rounder without dedicating myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chailatte99

I guess I'm more so asking if Arts as a whole is a bad idea? Sorry I rambled a fair bit. This appears to give you the benefits of an Arts degree with an area I'm interested in. It's just that so many people are saying I may as well smoke weed in Amsterdam if I go on to study art haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think arts degrees are good for developing critical thinking and getting an all round education. However they don't really qualify you to do any particular career. You would almost definitely have to do a masters afterwards to get a decent job. Business and science degrees are more career focused so you may (or may not) have to do a masters after. However there is no point choosing a degree just because your parents want you to do it. You could end up dropping out if the maths is too hard or you hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

What type of job with children are you thinking of? Teacher? Social worker? Occupational therapist? Paediatrician? Doing science doesn't mean you can't work with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If you know what job you want then call around and find what the ideal qualifications are.

Then find a course which matches the qualifications and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

There are a lot of lazy and silly jokes about arts degrees. I heard the same things when I was in Leaving Cert. Ignore them and focus on your life goals and what you're interested in.

As has been said, arts degrees can be very valuable in terms of the skills they teach but you may need subsequent qualifications to get to where you want to go. I had a friend who did that specific course and subsequently got a teaching qualification in England after a period teaching English in South Korea. What you definitely shouldn't do, as has been said already, is do something you have no interest in but that your parents like or see as prestigious. That's a sure fire route to unhappiness in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What you definitely shouldn't do, as has been said already, is do something you have no interest in but that your parents like or see as prestigious. That's a sure fire route to unhappiness in the long run.

Picking the right course can be a balancing act. On the one hand you want to do something you're interested and passionate about.
    On the other hand you need to get a job at the end of it.

Nothing as bad as getting a crap job after 4 great years in college. So take your time. Id even take a year out if you're not sure.

I know people who are rich and miserable, i know people who are poor and happy, but rich and happy is the goal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Don't mind your parents or anyone else. It's not them that will be doing a business or science degree they have no interest in!

I can never understand people who make a choice like this based on what the perceived "decent careers" are, as opposed to something that interests them or something that will get them into a career that excites them.

I know exactly what you're saying as I was in the same position in the past. People thought I was mad choosing arts and that it would be a "waste of points". What a waste of life it would be to do something you have no interest in!

In the end I got 515 points and did my arts degree despite everyone's "advice". It was the best decision and the best time of my life. Afterwards I traveled for a couple of years and then did a hDip in primary teaching.

There's not a thing wrong with having to do a masters or whatever after a broad degree. The extra life experience is invaluable and I think people who take a longer route into their careers tend to be more well rounded and bring a bit extra to their jobs.

I can highly recommend working with children. Not everyone is cut out for it but if you're passionate about kids it's the most rewarding job in the world.

Arts with Children's Studies sounds like it could get you into a number of different careers involving children but would also be broad enough to not limit your options. If, as you say, it's right up your alley, then it sounds like a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chailatte99

There are a lot of lazy and silly jokes about arts degrees. I heard the same things when I was in Leaving Cert. Ignore them and .......
    Thank you, you're dead right, no use in doing a course I'll dislike, just to please others.
    Don't mind your parents or anyone else. It's not them that will be doing a business or science degree they have no interest in!

I can never understand people who make a choice like this based on what the perceived "decent careers" are.......
    Thank you, it's refreshing to hear of people doing what they wanted to do & finding success in it :)

Advertisement