Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Not sure Greystones is any worse in terms of the commuter pain than any other comparable town. Even from likes of Stepaside takes about the same time to IFSC. Dublin roads are jammed everywhere so unless your pretty close to town a painful commute is inevitable

about tenfold worse. you are delusional if you think stepaside to Ifsc is anything like greysontes to there. spent four wasted years of commuting that short distance with delays, late for work, additional child care costs, endless apologies to colleagues and child minders...greystones is a great spot...to retire in, and occasionally go into
    town on the weekend.

that junction at glen of the downs to kilcroney is bumper to bumper from 7:30am on. Southern cross road just as disastrous. It’s only going to get worse, the infrastructure just can’t handle it, roads, public transport...no long term planning, no foresight, get banks recapitalised and namas hands washed clean of land they need to get rid of just build, build, build, because people need homes. here we go again folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

What's the name of this thread again ?

Sasso wrote: »
    What's the name of this thread again ?

First time buyer in the Greystones and Charlesland forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Everyone has their own commuting experience. Some people have been commuting for years and don't complain too much and others can't stand it. It depends what's important to you.
    I think Greystones has a lot to offer but it's not for everyone.

Blingy wrote: »
    Everyone has their own commuting experience. Some people have been commuting for years and don't complain too much and others can't stand it. It depends what's important to you.
    I think Greystones has a lot to offer but it's not for everyone.

no, you’re completely missing the point. I’ve commuted very long distances in various countries and it has for the most part been a smooth, reliable and punctual experience over long distances which I have been more than happy to endure because it was dependable and I knew when I had to get up to be on time and when I would or could be home.

I rarely had this experience in a 25km journey which regularly took over an hour and half. I agree greystones has a lot to offer, but very little if you work in Dublin city centre and intend on commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I work in Skerries and it takes me about an hour in the morning and an hour and twenty minutes in the evening. I must be doing something wrong.

FirstIn wrote: »
    You’re right. And some are perilously close to Kilcoole!
    Greystones is saturated. Over developed. Ruined. Bad planning. Traffic jams , oversubscribed clubs, waiting lists, difficulty getting in to preferred schools. Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse.

It’s a pity. A shame. I can reminisce when this wasn’t the case. We had a hotel, in fact we had 2, a great night club, no traffic jams, a park and ride you could actually park in, people knew each other , no Dublin flags flying from houses and a beautiful harbour you could leave you’re boat in without paying a fortune.

The only thing I can think of that is an improvement is shoreline and the swimming pool.

I see you still have that MASSIVE chip on your shoulder.

I work in Skerries and it takes me about an hour in the morning and an hour and twenty minutes in the evening. I must be doing something wrong.

what hour of the morning and evening is this 2am and 10pm or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

That makes, at least, two us so!

I do empathise with the sentiments expressed although wasted energy perhaps because that scenario is irretrievable. Not sure about the reference to Kilcoole although I take it to mean the greater expansion co-joining the towns.
    On a positive note, perhaps other towns will do a case study of Greystones, then and now, to learn from the blundering and deleterious exploitation of our village/town.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I have an opinion predicated on facts. Please point out what you believe is factually wrong with what I’ve written. I know what it has been like to live in Greystones for over 40 years.

I know many people in greystones have the same opinions. In fact it is clear to see contributors to this thread have the same opinions.

The town is choking and it will deteriorate further.

And to add, if you can get on the road at some crazy red eye time (who wants that every day!) you’ll get to skerries in an hour. Try dropping the kids to school and then getting to skerries in an hour. Not a hope. Most people moving to Greystones have school going kids or will do shortly. They won’t all have the luxury of leaving home when it suits them.

I have to drive some days and it can take 10 minutes to get from one end of the Main Street to the other and then it’s up Jinx’s hill and Blacklion, another traffic jam. Some mornings the tail back to the southern cross is back to the top of windgates and at Hill’s garage it’s another disaster. All told to get on to the N11 at Kilcroney can , and does , easily take close to an hour. Choking Mr Don’t Chute. The place is choking. The infrastructure isn’t up to it.

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    I have an opinion predicated on facts. Please point out what you believe is factually wrong with what I’ve written. I know what it has been like to live in Greystones for over 40 years.

I know many people in greystones have the same opinions. In fact it is clear to see contributors to this thread have the same opinions.

The town is choking and it will deteriorate further.

And to add, if you can get on the road at some crazy red eye time (who wants that every day!) you’ll get to skerries in an hour. Try dropping the kids to school and then getting to skerries in an hour. Not a hope. Most people moving to Greystones have school going kids or will do shortly. They won’t all have the luxury of leaving home when it suits them.

I have to drive some days and it can take 10 minutes to get from one end of the Main Street to the other and then it’s up Jinx’s hill and Blacklion, another traffic jam. Some mornings the tail back to the southern cross is back to the top of windgates and at Hill’s garage it’s another disaster. All told to get on to the N11 at Kilcroney can , and does , easily take close to an hour. Choking Mr Don’t Chute. The place is choking. The infrastructure isn’t up to it.

I have a child in school I leave about 6-50am. If you you think that is some crazy "red eye time" then you live a very cosseted life. People cannot expect to leave their house at 8-30 and arrive in the city centre at 9-00. I have lived in Greystones for 13 years and not once have I been stuck in traffic, not once! <Mod snip>

<Mod snip>

Im glad the town is full of people like me. People that can see the damage excessive housing is now doing. Of course there was going to be new housing in Greystones and around Greystones. The problem is there is too much , the town can’t cope. Do you think the town is coping now and well positioned to do so with the new estates coming on stream ? I don’t.

The details of driving I gave above are accurate. Real. I don’t expect to get to the city centre in 30 mins leaving at 8.30. That’s daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pedanticness

I've bought a 4 bed in Glenheron, its about 19 square feet smaller than the same in Waverly, but based on the last phase is was 30k cheaper so I'm happy out.
    Having lived and grown up in Greystones & Kilcoole my whole life (bar a brief stint in the city centre) I don't think its any worse then every other commuter town. I commute to the city centre daily, takes me about an hour and ten minutes door to door on the dart, including the drive and walk from the park and ride.
    The odd day I drive, I leave about 6:50 and would be at my desk by 7:30. Leave at 4:30 be home by 5:30. 
    Personally I think a commute of between 1hr - 1hr 20 is reasonable. When I lived in Dublin it was between Teneure and Kimmage (about 8k from work) it would often take over an hour on a bus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: Don't Chute! either post in a civil manner or don't post at all.

FirstIn is entitled to express the widely held view that some poor planning decisions have been made in Greystones just as you are entitled to express an opposing view.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Hey!! Don't be getting all positive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Hello All,

We were in Charlesland Park today for 4 bed duplex viewing and seriously thinking to buy the place as it ticks all boxes. I re-read all the comments and we are too concerned about the morning commute. Today it only took us 5 mins to Dart station but I believe is not the case of weekdays, what is the other option if free park and ride gets full ? is 84x and 184 very frequent before 10 a.m.? This will be imp for our decision. I asked around in shops, locals today and nobody seemed to raise any real concern, all said it is not that bad. One of our friends leaves around 07:45, parks in free parking and takes 08:00 dart from last 2 years with no issues.

With price of around 400K should we wait for new houses in Waverly, Glenheron, etc or close the deal assuming all works fine. We were told Charlesland was built in 2003 so not that old for first time purchase. Any other things to consider please (apologies if repeating)

your views please

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The 184 is every 30 Minutes.

In the mornings the 84x is approximately every 10 minutes between 7am and 8am.

Morning traffic can get hectic because of the schools.

If it was me I would be torn between Charlesland being nearer to Greystones and Glenheron being a brand new build.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

thanks, quickly checked the timetable for 84X, wonder why is it not every 10 mins atleast till 9:00 a.m., would have been much easier to completely avoid free park and ride.

Any ideas if 84X is punctual every 10 mins or is in theory only ? Either ways looks like need to depart around 7:30 for city center commute

If it was me I would be torn between Charlesland being nearer to Greystones and Glenheron being a brand new build.

you could literally spit on the houses in charlesland from glenheron.

sightband wrote: »
    you could literally spit on the houses in charlesland from glenheron.

They are much further up the Farrankelly road

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

thanks, quickly checked the timetable for 84X, wonder why is it not every 10 mins atleast till 9:00 a.m., would have been much easier to completely avoid free park and ride.

Any ideas if 84X is punctual every 10 mins or is in theory only ? Either ways looks like need to depart around 7:30 for city center commute

You wont get a space in the park and ride after 8am most days

Terry Pratchet

Hello All,

We were in Charlesland Park today for 4 bed duplex viewing and seriously thinking to buy the place as it ticks all boxes. I re-read all the comments and we are too concerned about the morning commute. Today it only took us 5 mins to Dart station but I believe is not the case of weekdays, what is the other option if free park and ride gets full ? is 84x and 184 very frequent before 10 a.m.? This will be imp for our decision. I asked around in shops, locals today and nobody seemed to raise any real concern, all said it is not that bad. One of our friends leaves around 07:45, parks in free parking and takes 08:00 dart from last 2 years with no issues.

With price of around 400K should we wait for new houses in Waverly, Glenheron, etc or close the deal assuming all works fine. We were told Charlesland was built in 2003 so not that old for first time purchase. Any other things to consider please (apologies if repeating)

your views please

thanks

We paid 400k for a 3 bed in Glenheron but I would expect phase two to go up considerably more. We lived in Seabourne View in Charlesland for 12 years and my wife got the dart every morning for most of that time and never had a problem with parking in the park and ride.

The park and ride is full at 8am. To be fair to WCC, they have added a small number of additional spaces. However that’s it I reckon.

Parking in the south beach carpark and paying, I think it’s 3 euro for the day, is an option.

It’s likely with more and more people looking to park that the south beach carpark will also fill with commuters , which will be problematic come summer time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The build quality for Waverly and Glenheron is in a different league compared to Charlesland, things have moved on significantly since 2003. The most notable differences are the quality of insulation, doors, windows, wiring, plumbing, heating systems (superior condensing boiler for Glenhorn or heat pump Waverly), PV solar panels in Glenhorn, A3 BER rating (both), as well as superior quality of workmanship.

thanks all for your response, appreciated, need to think hard again

will check for any cancellations in glenheron / waverly which i doubt. Not sure if i should wait for Phase 2, 1 because of increased price and availability and 2nd mainly due to overnight queuing as nowadays there is no guarantee even after having the asking deposit money due to extreme demand

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Any idea when the next phase is due to launch in Seagreen, waverly, or glenheron?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wantahouse

Blingy wrote: »
    Any idea when the next phase is due to launch in Seagreen, waverly, or glenheron?

Next phase of Glenheron to launch in February. Mostly, maybe all, 4 bedroom in this phase and mostly the dormer bungalow 4 bedroom type. Around 25-30 houses. Prices will be up E25K and more in this second phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

Hello All,

your views please

thanks

Both myself and fiancé take the bus from Charlesland to the dart station during the week. We both catch the dart anytime from 7am-8am depending. The 2 busses, 184 and 84x, are well synced up so there is always a frequent bus in the morning. That you need not worry about. In the summer we like to cycle odd the day as well.

:-)

thanks, wasnt aware that there will be very slim to none probability if we want to start after 8 am. 84x isnt there and 184 every 30 minutes and park and ride full, so will seriously need to think of these limitations before investing 400K :)

On lighter note, why hasnt anyone started sort of a local bus from Charlesland to dart station mornings and evenings, seems like a good business opportunity

• Advertisement

On lighter note, why hasnt anyone started sort of a local bus from Charlesland to dart station mornings and evenings, seems like a good business opportunity

There was a bus from Charlesland to Greystones when Charlesland was first built but it didn’t survive.

Advertisement