Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 12-11-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi
    Quick query, I am wondering is this the normal procedure for an car insurance
    company.

Filled out an incident form online, was contacted by the call centre the next day.
    Claims handler would contact me in due course.

One month later, a claims handler informed me there was a solicitors letter and a claim against me. He had not received my online form.
    Met with assessor, certain road situation had to be verified based on the claim ie one way system

One month later I am informed the claim is closed, claims handler couldnt contact solicitor.

Roll on another month,solicitor is in contact again, claim reopened.
    The road layout had yet to be confirmed, one way system.
    New claims handler appointed to the claim.

So nearly 4 months later, we are back at square one

Is this the norm for the industry.

Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Sounds very odd. The bit that sticks out for me is that they acknowledged receipt of a solicitors letter, yet closed the claim a month later because they could not contact him/her. Unfortunately, solicitors do not give up and go away so easily and insurers usually leave files open for at least 6 months in case of developments.

Are different claim reference numbers used in the various correspondence sent to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 seandive

No, its the same claim number.

From filling out the online form within 24hrs
    Taking the call from the claims handler to meeting the assessor, supplying details, photos, GPS coordinates took 6 hours in total.

Its now 4mths down the line, the other insurance company has not seen any of my details. A solicitor has sent 2 letters.

To me an outsider(in the insurance game), has my insurer dropped the ball and will playing catch up?

seandive wrote:
    Roll on another month,solicitor is in contact again, claim reopened. The road layout had yet to be confirmed, one way system. New claims handler appointed to the claim.

Firstly, your insurers duty is to defend your position. I assume you are not accepting responsibility for the incident. Therefore, I wouldn't be concerned that they delayed correspondence with the other side. The letter you got from your insurer advising that the claim was closed, was it something along the lines of "having investigated the matter, we do not consider you liable and therefore we have closed our file".? That often happens but needs to be reopened when the solicitor doesn't give up. You haven't been disadvantaged by any delay here, the facts will be established eventually. It does seem odd though.

A shot in the dark here, is AXA your insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 seandive

Bullseye, company wise.

It seems the claims handler could not contact the solicitor and closed the file, no mention of liability.

I cant get my head around, an online reporting system, where the report goes nowhere.

Something that should have taken 2 days has been delayed by 4 months.

I don't know, is it an inefficient system or just incompetence.(my thoughts out loud, does not require an answer)

Thanks for your reply

Right, that clears it up a bit. AXA have a practice of investigating a claim and if they don't consider you to be liable, they notify the other side of their decision and close the file. This does not mean that if the 3rd party persists and start proceedings, that will be disadvantaged. They will reopen the claim and handle it to a conclusion. I am surprised that they don't have the report from your meeting with the assessor, but it will be located

It is not unusual for a different handler to be appointed if the subsequent correspondence from the solicitor indicates that the claim will be more substantial than initially thought, as a more senior handler will take it over. Don't worry about responses not being sent to the 3rd party's solicitor. It could be tactical by your insurer. Remember, the other side are not your friends in all of this

• Advertisement
Advertisement