Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circulation pump problem

Options
  • 12-11-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi I have a query about a problem with central heating. One of the circulation pumps seems to be tripping the contactor/breaker when I switch it on. The contactor is a hager es220. I am wondering if the pump needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yes, I have changed a few recently that were popping fuses and tripping breakers.
    New pump, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭deise man

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Yes, I have changed a few recently that were popping fuses and tripping breakers.
    New pump, problem solved.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭deise man

deise man wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Hi I've changed the pump but still tripping off.

Just wondering if there are any other ideas

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The hager es220 is a contactor not a circuit breaker, what is tripping?

Most likely fault was the motor, but of course that doesn't mean it is as you have found out.

There could be a problem with the cables? It could be you have wired it incorrectly?

However without carrying out tests and fault finding properly you could end up completely rewiring and replacing everything before fixing the fault.

Throwing parts at a problem can easily become a lot more expensive than getting someone competent to look at the issue in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I went to a boiler that which had a new pump fitted (not by me), but still tripped out the fuse.
    Turn out a couple of stray strands on the pump wiring were touching and caused the trip.
    Best to get someone in who can fully diagnose the heating system wiring and trace the fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

The hager es220 is a contactor not a circuit breaker, what is tripping?

Most likely fault was the motor, but of course that doesn't mean it is as you have found out.

There could be a problem with the cables? It could be you have wired it incorrectly?

However without carrying out tests and fault finding properly you could end up completely rewiring and replacing everything before fixing the fault.

Throwing parts at a problem can easily become a lot more expensive than getting someone competent to look at the issue in the first place.
    My reason for moving it here from Plumbing and Heating.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

The op has clearly said the Hager es220 is a contactor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

The op has clearly said the Hager es220 is a contactor.

What’s so clear about “ contactor/breaker”?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement