Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil found in Co. Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Hmmm maybe coral

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think it's a coral. If I were to guess I would say it's a part of a plant(the root system) from the carboniferous era(the time that gives us coal), when Ireland would have been covered with dense tropical jungles. To narrow it down further I'd say it's part of a root of the Lepidodendron tree. Here's an example from the interwebs.

fossil26.jpg

A reconstruction of what they looked like:

4d6ebe81-7409-4ad0-a73c-5b4d3ae0ce8e_l.jpg

And big buggers they were too, could reach nearly 100ft in old money(30M) in height. Very cool fossil to have.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Brilliant information. Thanks Wibbs.

Advertisement