Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever 21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

According to some media reports it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murrrrrrrrph

It's a 'proposal' but likely.... I will cry.
    Also, don't really understand why?! It's the only one in Ireland, isn't it? It does really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Was in there today and no sign of it closing, feck all sales etc ...

Got loads though (as always!), I'd be really disappointed if it were to go. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They seem to be losing a fortune. Maybe the rent is too high and they are trying to get a better deal.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/losses-up-fivefold-at-forever-21s-irish-store-34656101.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id say jervis centre will nearly offer free rent or anything they can to make them stay, thatd be their biggest footfall magnet in the centre Id assume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Lux23 wrote: »
    They seem to be losing a fortune. Maybe the rent is too high and they are trying to get a better deal.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/losses-up-fivefold-at-forever-21s-irish-store-34656101.html

The clothes are so cheap they must have almost no margins on them, so the multistorey space with high levels of staff required must be killing them. They are almost like a department store in terms of size, but how much can you make on a dress you sell for a tenner? Penneys has the scale at least to help spread out their costs, this is a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are closing just heard it today on RTE news. No idea when do could be the weekend, next or a month away. But yes the reason they are closing is they are losing too much money.

https://www.her.ie/news/one-biggest-clothing-stores-dublin-closing-doors-soon-374071

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0109/931960-forever-21-ireland/

They lost 15 million euro here in 2016. Yo can't keep having losses like that.

Very sad that it will be closing and for all the employees but at least there might be some great deals before it closes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It's a 'proposal' but likely.... I will cry.
    Also, don't really understand why?! It's the only one in Ireland, isn't it? It does really well.

It cut staff very early on it's not gone anywhere near as well as they needed by the looks of it. They've closed Glasgow too and the unit was immediately snapped up by h&m. I think they thought they could find room in the market between penneys and the slightly higher high St chains but have found it's not as good as they hoped!

Looks like it's definitely happening now it's being reported everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Thich Nhat Hanh

Awful throwaway rubbish clothes. The less of these places the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jimmii wrote: »
    It cut staff very early on it's not gone anywhere near as well as they needed by the looks of it. They've closed Glasgow too and the unit was immediately snapped up by h&m. I think they thought they could find room in the market between penneys and the slightly higher high St chains but have found it's not as good as they hoped!

Looks like it's definitely happening now it's being reported everywhere.
    I was reading the staffing levels. They were crazy with 250 staff when it opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I was reading the staffing levels. They were crazy with 250 staff when it opened.

In reality its probably just hundreds of students getting maybe ten part-time min wage hours a week
    But still 250 on a payroll does seem like a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeah think that lasted about three months and they realised yeah lads that's a bit crazy. The rent they were paying seems just as mad guessing it'll be hard to fill the unit at the same rate.

Advertisement