Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval

Options
  • 13-11-2017 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭

The "The Waterford Eye" looks great on the Quay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The "The Waterford Eye" looks great on the Quay.

It sure does. A nice little splash to get us all in the mood for Winterval!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Right never been down to this but thinking of it this year. Heard good things about it, is it worth the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Looking forward to going on it with the girls and a bottle of Prosecco!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

road_high wrote: »
    Right never been down to this but thinking of it this year. Heard good things about it, is it worth the trip?

I would think so! It has been jigged up a bit this year and seems to be lots to see and do, lots of free activities too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Plans for Winterval 2017 look great. can't wait to get in & see it. Starts this weekend!

http://winterval.ie/

• Advertisement

poppies2 wrote: »
    I would think so! It has been jigged up a bit this year and seems to be lots to see and do, lots of free activities too :)

Yes I think I'll pop down this year, web site looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

I'd say the applemarket is going to look fantastic at night. Passed through today and the lights/tree and post box look really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

914 wrote: »
    I'd say the applemarket is going to look fantastic at night. Passed through today and the lights/tree and post box look really impressive.

Im looking forward to seeing it all lit up. I agree i think it will look fantastic. Anyone know what is going down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

alta stare wrote: »
    Im looking forward to seeing it all lit up. I agree i think it will look fantastic. Anyone know what is going down there?

Theres a few gigs going ondown there think kila are playing over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Big Ferris wheel / Waterford eye looks great/big, will definitely be doing that with the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

914 wrote: »

Yes! I saw them putting up the lights on Tuesday so I can't wait to see it all finished and lit up. The decorations, lights etc are a good way to connect that area with the more central part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Shame there is no Toy Museum this year. It was my favourite part of Winterval

• Registered Users Posts: 38,352 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the vip experience for the wheel €50 each or for the whole group ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is the vip experience for the wheel €50 each or for the whole group ???

I'd imagine fifty between group,

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'd imagine fifty between group,

Cool should have beer/cider instead of processco lol

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Personally, I would advise visiting after dark - for me, the best thing about it is simply the atmosphere - there's a really nice vibe around. There's a touch of magic in the air with all of the lights and displays which you really see best after sundown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Was in around for a stroll earlier. Nice buzz about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Yes I think I'll pop down this year, web site looks impressive.

Will the mobile app be updated this year? It seemed not to be current or updated last year. I emailed the website people about it but no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Was in around the apple market.place is looking great and the big green post box is just fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

THE KIDS LOVED IT AGAIN THIS YEAR WELL DONE ALL INVOLVED REGARDS BRIAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

THE KIDS LOVED IT AGAIN THIS YEAR WELL DONE ALL INVOLVED REGARDS BRIAN

Did you shout that all the way from Enniscorthy ? :D

No but seriously glad ye liked it do come again. The buzz around makes Waterford come alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The wheel looks good with the animated lights.

Looks to be the very same as the one that got stuck in Galway. They can keep the broken one ;)

JohnC. wrote: »
    The wheel looks good with the animated lights.

Looks to be the very same as the one that got stuck in Galway. They can keep the broken one ;)

Was on it, kids enjoyed it, worth a spin.heard about galway, nightmare, don't know if they same, said on radio, one on quay is biggest in country so I dunno, good views up top anyway.
    I hope all the stuff in Apple market well barriered off, what with the rubber men and women out later.

Personally, I would advise visiting after dark - for me, the best thing about it is simply the atmosphere - there's a really nice vibe around. There's a touch of magic in the air with all of the lights and displays which you really see best after sundown.

Thanks that’s a good tip! I definitely want to see the Markets, I kinda gather from the website they alternate between three different streets/places but I’m sure we’ll fugure it out. One of the things I like about Waterford. It’s very easy get about. I usually park in the car parks along the Quay, cross the road and you’re in the main shopping area. 5 mins in light traffic and you’re out on the M9 (non rush hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mankelland

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Was in around the apple market.place is looking great and the big green post box is just fantastic

Took the kids in and the place is looking fantastic. Very exciting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Was on it, kids enjoyed it, worth a spin.heard about galway, nightmare, don't know if they same, said on radio, one on quay is biggest in country so I dunno, good views up top anyway.
    I hope all the stuff in Apple market well barriered off, what with the rubber men and women out later.

They look identical, and in size too. Don't fully know what happened to the one in Galway.

And I hope so for Witmiss too, I imagine the students would love to tear down the giant tree for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Any chance of some pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I heard some people online kicking a fuss about how the horses are treated.

post from on facebook with over 1.k likes.

"I was in town yesterday enjoying all that Winterval has to offer, It gives a wonderful Christmas vibe around the city. Our day was ruined when those poor horses carrying the horse-drawn sleigh came past the carousel, where we were standing. One looked like it was going to collapse, it looked completely bet. The horse then came skidding towards us with its four legs sideways. I had a one year old in my arms and I thought it was going to crush us up against the carousel gates. Other children and adults around were also traumatised too, by the experience. My sister was so upset she ran after the horses and tried to plead with the workers to stop it, as the horse was still collapsing and sliding against the other horse beside it (the poor horse was completely unsteady on its legs). Of course her pleas fell on deaf ears and the sleigh continued to be dragged around for the afternoon. There has been so much controversy around animal cruelty and the rights of animals over the past few years. I have seen petitions, signed by thousands to ban horse and sulkies on the roads. It baffles me how anyone thinks this horse-drawn sleigh is acceptable to have at winterval every year! WHY isn't there more controversy over this! HOW IS THIS OK!!!!"

• Advertisement

I heard some people online kicking a fuss about how the horses are treated.

post from on facebook with over 1.k likes.

"I was in town yesterday enjoying all that Winterval has to offer, It gives a wonderful Christmas vibe around the city. Our day was ruined when those poor horses carrying the horse-drawn sleigh came past the carousel, where we were standing. One looked like it was going to collapse, it looked completely bet. The horse then came skidding towards us with its four legs sideways. I had a one year old in my arms and I thought it was going to crush us up against the carousel gates. Other children and adults around were also traumatised too, by the experience. My sister was so upset she ran after the horses and tried to plead with the workers to stop it, as the horse was still collapsing and sliding against the other horse beside it (the poor horse was completely unsteady on its legs). Of course her pleas fell on deaf ears and the sleigh continued to be dragged around for the afternoon. There has been so much controversy around animal cruelty and the rights of animals over the past few years. I have seen petitions, signed by thousands to ban horse and sulkies on the roads. It baffles me how anyone thinks this horse-drawn sleigh is acceptable to have at winterval every year! WHY isn't there more controversy over this! HOW IS THIS OK!!!!"

I'd say because people have more stuff to be worrying about is the short answer.another fella was in paper saying how well they are treated, they rotate horses, fed and rested down by gasworks, bedding etc.he was basically saying people don't have a clue.another fella was saying how he saw horses pawing the ground when stopped indicating he wants to go, not stop.these horses are bred for millennia to do pulling work, used to be ploughs, etc.I'm no horse expert but he was convincing.I think they look well,if I hear them coming,I stand in out of way to watch them, impressive animals.I can understand some thinking its cruelty but as far as animals go, its fairly low, benign in my animal uneducated opinion.

Advertisement