Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    I heard some people online kicking a fuss about how the horses are treated.

post from on facebook with over 1.k likes.

"I was in town yesterday enjoying all that Winterval has to offer, It gives a wonderful Christmas vibe around the city. Our day was ruined when those poor horses carrying the horse-drawn sleigh came past the carousel, where we were standing. One looked like it was going to collapse, it looked completely bet. The horse then came skidding towards us with its four legs sideways. I had a one year old in my arms and I thought it was going to crush us up against the carousel gates. Other children and adults around were also traumatised too, by the experience. My sister was so upset she ran after the horses and tried to plead with the workers to stop it, as the horse was still collapsing and sliding against the other horse beside it (the poor horse was completely unsteady on its legs). Of course her pleas fell on deaf ears and the sleigh continued to be dragged around for the afternoon. There has been so much controversy around animal cruelty and the rights of animals over the past few years. I have seen petitions, signed by thousands to ban horse and sulkies on the roads. It baffles me how anyone thinks this horse-drawn sleigh is acceptable to have at winterval every year! WHY isn't there more controversy over this! HOW IS THIS OK!!!!"

I'd say because people have more stuff to be worrying about is the short answer.another fella was in paper saying how well they are treated, they rotate horses, fed and rested down by gasworks, bedding etc.he was basically saying people don't have a clue.another fella was saying how he saw horses pawing the ground when stopped indicating he wants to go, not stop.these horses are bred for millennia to do pulling work, used to be ploughs, etc.I'm no horse expert but he was convincing.I think they look well,if I hear them coming,I stand in out of way to watch them, impressive animals.I can understand some thinking its cruelty but as far as animals go, its fairly low, benign in my animal uneducated opinion.

I bet those complaining went in for a lovely chicken dinner after that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

They even started a Facebook group. Incredible. Bet they feel real good about themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Deiseen wrote: »

So you have to be vegetarian to care about animal rights now? Christ above

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You have to be vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Not saying that but these people have gone out of their way to complain about animals beint mistreated when, from the sounds of it, they are treated very well.

No problem with raising animal rights, im all for it, but people are EXTREMELY selective when it comes to which rights they want to bring up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Not saying that but these people have gone out of their way to complain about animals beint mistreated when, from the sounds of it, they are treated very well.

No problem with raising animal rights, im all for it, but people are EXTREMELY selective when it comes to which rights they want to bring up

Exactly and now people want to get rid of the main attractions to Winterval. People are selective in their mourning. They only pay attention to most overt things. Wonder when they're going to make the Facebook group against the butchering of horses for human consumption. All they want is pat themselves on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I was in around town today, there was a good buzz around good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

The same people probably leave their dog at home alone all day while they are in work. Which is very cruel for social animals like dogs.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I know the man quite well who works on the horse drawn sleigh and I can assure you that he has worked with horses for as long as I know him with is more than 30 years and he would not put up with any horse been mistreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I think it's actually €25 between group or am I wrong?

That aside, fair play to 'Winterval Waterford' they have the place looking better than ever, they did an absolutely fantastic job on the 'Winter village' in the apple market, really feels like I'm away somewhere!

The festival seems to be getting 'bigger and better' every year! I do wish there were more stalls though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Are the reg showing movies this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

They even started a Facebook group. Incredible. Bet they feel real good about themselves
    Unfortunately that is the way the world and most people's daily lives have become with social media. These days "everyone" has to be careful i.e stop + think before uttering a response to absolutely anything albeit in person and most especially online. The snowflake generation holds sway I am afraid. I know by posting a response on these boards I am participating in the conversations but does anyone else (then again anyone over the age of say 25yrs) long and yearn for a return to more innocent times? With the advent of the aforesaid social media together with the rise of Political Correctness it is nearly impossible to have a bit of slagging or a joke without someone jumping down your throat. To date I have resisted the urge to join facebook and twitter and will continue to do so. It's not healthy to be online, on the grid and constantly connected to a device. In that vein I suggest that for a change next weekend why not leave the car (and phone!) behind, walk down town and enjoy an old fashioned Christmas Winterval style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

There are many positives about being online. In fact it's stupid to stay off line just because there are morons online. What we need is more people with common sense posting online on facebook and twitter also. The more common sense people we have the stronger we become and the more mature the content becomes.

Don't be an avoided be a changer.

That all aside I use to live in Waterford and my girlfriend is from the city. We are often down and love the place. We can't wait to join the festivities this year. My only regret is that might not be showing movies in the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Went on the Waterford Eye at the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and will probably go once more while it's there - maybe at night this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Any reports/feedback of the Winterval Santa? Was thinking of bringing the kids there this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

poppies2 wrote: »
    Any reports/feedback of the Winterval Santa? Was thinking of bringing the kids there this weekend.

Was there last year, very good, did the solas centre one this year.probably be back to winterval one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Was there last year, very good, did the solas centre one this year.probably be back to winterval one next year.

Thanks Max Powers! It's moved to a new location this year, I haven't been to it in a couple of years so was thinking of doing it this year while at Winterval at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

poppies2 wrote: »
    Thanks Max Powers! It's moved to a new location this year, I haven't been to it in a couple of years so was thinking of doing it this year while at Winterval at the weekend.

Its a different santa than previous years,the santa that used to be there is out in activate on the dunmore road now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Have to say that the lights around the apple market are excellent this year. The buzz around that area on Saturday was unreal. There was a kids dance performance to Christmas songs, elves zooming around in and out while the letters in the giant post box were being emptied, the horses coming though at different times as well. Michael Street was heaving as well. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

On a train earlier and a group of 50 young children were coming down from Dublin for the day. The leaders with them said they have been to Galway the last few years and they were disappointed last year hence the change. Hopefully it goes well down here for them...

• Advertisement

Anyone around town today...are market stalls open cathedral square area?
    Cheers
    Just checked website, no , open tomorrow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Heading to this during week. Any recommendations what is good for 2 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Heading to this during week. Any recommendations what is good for 2 year old.

The carousel should be a big hit. You'll need to accompany them on it though. My 20 month old niece has been on it more this year than I have over all the other years!
    We've not done anything else with her yet but the Snowglobe in George's Court looks fun, there's a helter skelter by Theatre Royal and you have the Winterval Train and the sled horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Went around town yesterday from about 4:30 to 6:00 with the kids. Crowds weren't heaving so it was good. Nice atmosphere and the kids loved the helter skelter and the carosel. Caught the last few minutes of the dance show in the applemarket ( which looked great) and caught one the the light shows in cathedral square. My 5 year old was dancing away. Simple things in life really. One thing I missed seeing was the toy museum...loved that looking at the old toys....brought back great memories, wonder why it wasn't on this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It was the Retro Gaming last year, maybe it was too hard to get everyone to donate their toys again this year.

My kids were asking about the movie and hot chocolate, it's been a favourite of theirs, I thought it wasn't on this year, but it's in Polish Christmas.

I had a little chuckle even thinking of my kids panned out (watching the movie) on the floor of the 'Roxy'!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Really enjoyed visiting Winterval, well done to all involved.

The cousins were down from Dublin the week before last & were highly impressed too!

Happy Days!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is the Waterford Eye packing up on the 23rd along with the rest of Winterval, or does it stay on like Waterford on Ice and the Carousel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is the Waterford Eye packing up on the 23rd along with the rest of Winterval, or does it stay on like Waterford on Ice and the Carousel?

Staying till 7th Jan.

Did anyone try the Sicilian style doughnut type thing down by bishops palace, delicious, never had it before, he does canoli too.I'll be back, well worth 3 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Did anyone try the Sicilian style doughnut type thing down by bishops palace, delicious, never had it before, he does canoli too.I'll be back, well worth 3 quid.

Nope but now I must, I'll try some tomorrow :D

Advertisement