Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon November 2017

Options
  • 13-11-2017 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I searched hard but could not find a thread for the November race. I've read the threads from previous events but thought it would be good to start one for this specific event.

(If anyone who is attending and is a regular Strava user then you might be interested in joining the club or the race event on Strava!)

I know the route varies slightly and there is much trepidation about the terrain with the sand. As this is my first Half, I'm just looking for a couple of tips on pace. I'm fairly confident I can go sub 2 hours or better but how much should I bank before the sand (in each direction) and how many km out do you hit the soft sand?

I've conflicting advice about going out slow and saving something for the way back or just going out at your pace and trying to hang on! Again, any advice from those with some experience would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

It really depends on the wind. The sand is very compact and nice to run on apart from a small bit of soft sand going onto and off the beach.

If you're pretty confident about 2 hours I would get behind the 2 hour pacers. They'll keep you honest in the first half when the wind is generally behind you. Good idea to stick with them on the sand on the way back as you'll appreciate the shelter running in a group. You do not want to get isolated on the beach if the wind is against you.

Good luck, it's a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Sounds like great advice. Thanks very much. I'll keep an eye out for big fellows to run behind then!

I've managed to have a good look at the course from the gpx in the sticky and have a much better idea about where the sand is now. Hopefully conditions will be kind on the day!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Be prepared for the wind when you turn at half way. I've got caught out before running too fast thinking i'm superman with the wind at my back only to be brought back to reality on the turn. It is a very flat course but the wind can make it interesting as pacing strategy has to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Current forecast show it to be fairly cold (4 or 5 deg at 9 o'c), but dry with possibilities of sunny spells.

Wind though is 20-25km/h from the west, so strong crosswinds for most of the course.

I know this might change daily until then, but it'll be great if it stays dry

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Yeah, I was looking at the long range and I'd take cold and dry over warm and wet any day!

Also, it does look like it will be an offshore wind, although it would seem better to have a crosswind rather than a headwind I suppose. However, it will still be smack in your face coming up from the beach.

Fingers crossed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Also worth pointing out that from around mile 5 (back on to the coast road) the path way is pretty narrow. In the 2 hour bus there wont be massive space to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Doing the 5 mile on Saturday, what's it like. All I've been told is it's scenic!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Doing the 5 mile on Saturday, what's it like. All I've been told is it's scenic!

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.352609,-6.165679,260.88h,-15.36p,1.92z,xahl7EI7Cf2qWF5cf8NzrQ

Should give you an idea.
    I've only run along the sea front once but there's something about running along looking out over the bay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Pretty scenic, but you will be running with the Sea fully out, so there is lots of mud and marsh.

This route is best, when there is high tide and a strong east wind...

The beach section can feel deceptively slow when racing, due to the large vista (Dublin bay and Howth Hill).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Cheers. When you live in the midlands then running near the coastline will be a novelty at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Pretty scenic, but you will be running with the Sea fully out, so there is lots of mud and marsh.

This route is best, when there is high tide and a strong east wind...

The beach section can feel deceptively slow when racing, due to the large vista (Dublin bay and Howth Hill).

The five mile doesn't go on the sand or beach. It is all one a hard surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I did this half-marathon in the Summer and it was definitely one the toughest's halfs I've ever done. The beach on the return leg came at the wrong time for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thisismy

Is it possible to sign up on the day? Says it's sold out on the site but I'm guessing there will be a few no-shows because of the weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Sorry - no.
    You can't sign up on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

what time does this start.? Is there an online map of the course anywhere.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    what time does this start.? Is there an online map of the course anywhere.?

All the info is on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Cheers J

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Any advice from people who have run this course before?

Looks like it'll be a nippy one with this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi guys

What's the parking like out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Sunjava

Ran this race last year, the wooden bridge in the cold conditions is a death trap. Any benefit of the flat course is far outweighed by the strong wind and running on sand. Wouldn't recommend it.

Sunjava wrote: »
    Ran this race last year, the wooden bridge in the cold conditions is a death trap. Any benefit of the flat course is far outweighed by the strong wind and running on sand. Wouldn't recommend it.

Well this has me hyped :eek:

doughef wrote: »
    Hi guys

What's the parking like out there?

Parking isn't great - the DART station might have space if you are there early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Best of luck tomorrow lads and ladies.
    Hope the bottles will be still liquid :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

A tough tough race !

Strange that it started on footpaths - most people just ran on the grass., but it seemed to work out fine
    The beach was amazing, such a scenic course also.
    Water stations were perfect

then came the second half 🙄
    Unreal wind- absolutely crazy on the beach but I had enough in the tank to cling on and keep up so I was thrilled.
    Hit my desired time too.

Nice water /bars at the end and the soup was most welcome !!

A great race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done B, XC racing stood to you. Couldn't go today, hopefully I'll be there again next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Well done everyone.
    A very scenic route and running on the beach (twice) was awesome.

Was pacing 1:45 which went OK but lost quite a few runners on the beach on the way back due to the wind. Had a minute in the bank at half way which I think is reasonable. Finished with a positive split due to the wind just under 1:45.

Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

My god the wind on the beach- enjoyed the race but found it really tough.

Where and when are results available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

echancrure wrote: »
    A very scenic route and running on the beach (twice) was awesome.
    Was it? :) For a flat half, it must have been one of the toughest I have done and I wasn't even going at race pace as I was pacing 1:30. Had 30 seconds in the bank at the half way mark but in hindsight I would have preferred to have had a minute as I too lost a lot of runners, although not on the beach, but on the road off the beach where the wind seemed to be at it's strongest. Soup afterwards was much appreciated! Really well organised race...couldn't fault it. 30 minute shower when I got home and I'm only starting to feel warm :eek:

Advertisement