Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon November 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dealerz wrote: »
    My god the wind on the beach- enjoyed the race but found it really tough.

Where and when are results available?

Red Tag Timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

That was a tough one for the last 4k or so. Target was 1.28 but was happy with been a minute ten over. Had 25secs in the bank hitting the beach on the way back. That was gone by the end of the beach and then that stretch down the path was a killer. Missed a pb by a second. I think the wind adds to this race greatly, it makes it a good bloody challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Results
    5 mile
    Half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Dealerz wrote: »
    My god the wind on the beach- enjoyed the race but found it really tough.

Where and when are results available?
    Up now
    Redtagtiming.com

A minute off my desired time, but I'm happy enough considering that wind, at least it was sort of across the beach. Other than that wasn't it a great day for the run

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

1:59:45- new PB- chuffed as that wind was savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Wow. Blown away for my first Half Marathon. It was a bit emotional if I'm honest!

It was really well organised. My only issue would be that you couldn't hear the race instructions from further back so it was a little disorganised at the start but it worked out fine.

I had a comprehensive pacing strategy targeting 1:50 although in reality I was just hoping for sub 1:55. Glad I allowed a good bit for the soft sand and the water stations as the sand was fine on the day and the stations were well organised, although I did manage to nearly choke/drown myself at the halfway mark!

I was thinking the wind wasn't too bad but jaysus the beach on the way back was a killer! I tucked in behind a few people but lost a couple of minutes there that I didn't expect (even though I had been warned repeatedly). Strava had me on target to go sub 1:50 but was about 300 meters off and I cramped up in the last 500 meters. However, extremely happy with my 1:51:15 (and leaves me with a realistic goal for my next half!)

Well done to everyone who participated and thanks to everyone on this thread for all their tips and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Very tough second half with the wind, very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Great pace from the winner. He averaged 3.38 per Km. That's some performance considering the wind. My mind can't even comprehend the determination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I enjoyed it - it was my first half marathon in over a year after having a tough time with injuries, so I did not pay too much attention to time. The second half was very tough with the wind, but made the race more worthwhile too.

Pretty well-run, although the Qs for the numbers and toilets were both very long and the pre-race info could really be summarised into a couple of pages rather than a long, winding essay. I'd do it again next year, but would definitely wear a hat :)

• Advertisement

Great pace from the winner. He averaged 3.38 per Km. That's some performance considering the wind. My mind can't even comprehend the determination :)
    Ahh that's nothing, my pace was nearly double that :-P

met him coming onto the causeway as I was just turning back onto the cycle track, smiling too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

First time to ever set foot in Clontarf, beautiful place. Well organised, great crowds there. I agree with what another poster said, they could do without the essay of instructions, we really don't need that much information or even just summarise the main points on the front page, main things people need to know are start times and where to park.

Did the 5 mile and my time wasn't as good as I hoped. I've put it down to the fact that I hadn't a good sleep the night before and the wind coming back the way was bitter - out of the organisers control of course! The bit where we were on Bull Island and in single file out and back was very tight, little or no overtaking room and I was near clipping the heels of the girl in front of me a few times.

Great spread of food at the end, the soup was a nice touch on such a cold day and it was really yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

First time to run in this event. Lovely part of the country. Had a fairly limited training schedule for it so took it handy enough going out but felt comfortable enough after the beach so picked it up a bit to halfway. Missed getting a water bottle at that point because of some elderly pedestrians deciding to stop and stand right in front of the people giving out the bottles!
    Picked up my pace from then back to the beach but my God what a head wind once ya hit the sand! There were no groups in front of me just individuals chugging along as best as they could but managed to put my head down and mentally just pick one off after another.
    Tough little mini climb back off the beach! Nice to get the support of people heading back in because it really wasn't a morning for standing around!
    Really nice medal at the end too.

Defo one I will be looking to do again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I can second that literally. I train in the area all the time and was hoping good pacing in the wind might get me a good placing or even a win.

The winner put 55s on me in the first 4k which was well out of my class. I passed 5k in 16:22 so he must have been nearly a minute quicker.
    At the turn he was 45s ahead and having saved a lot of energy for the return I was optimistic and determined to push him into the wind to make his early pace hurt him later on. He didnt buckle at all and was about 50s ahead at the end, in control throughout.
    I checked his results out after in other races and he ran 2:33 for Dublin, making it well into the marathon race at 2:30 target pace. That would explain him being able to keep running stronger even after a very fast start.

Very tough half. My sister in law and a big group of her mates were out in force and suffered on the way back. 10.5 km is a long distance back with almost every step into the wind especially on beach and after.

Advertisement