Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options
  • 13-11-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So over on Reddit...yes I know...reddit....the EA Community Managed posted a response to the complaints and arguments about PAY2WIN and how long it takes (40hours average - saving up all your credits) to unlock an extra main characters such as Vader etc.
    -Some guy did really good research and made a spreadsheet and all detailing how long it takes etc
    Original post : https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7c6bjm/it_takes_40_hours_to_unlock_a_hero_spreadsheet/

The EA Community Manager response was
    The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.
    As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.
    We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.
    Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can

Well this didn't go down well.

Previously the most DOWNVOTED comment EVER on all of Reddit...was 24,333...and that was a guy asking to set the record.
    This currently has 94,600 downvotes and counting in 12 hours.

Thread is here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/

Hopefully this teaches EA a lesson somewhat and they remove, curb or at least somewhat stop these ****ty practices.

Edit : In the time it took me to write this it's not at 98k lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

SeantheMan wrote: »

Hopefully this teaches EA a lesson somewhat and they remove, curb or at least somewhat stop these ****ty practices.

It absolutely will not though. EA don't give a toss about downvotes, because they know people will continue to play their games, pre-order constantly and still buy lootboxes/microtransactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

110k now

I think this will make a difference. I can see it being picked up not only by every major gaming magazine and news outlet, but some general news outlets too.
    I reckon they are in serious damage control mode now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Read this morning that one of the EA twitter accounts called people complaining "armchair developers". Needless to say the tweet was pretty quickly deleted. Will try find the screenshot of it I saw this morning.

Edit:
    http://archive.is/DenaU
    Apologies, it was the EA community manager for the game on his own twitter account, not an official EA account.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

And of course he backtracked on his deleted tweet to say it was a general tweet and nothing to do with BFII. Certainly not doing himself any favours and their community team posts on Reddit saying that Everett doesn’t post there yet he offered alpha codes for the original release to the mods and introduced himself by name to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Saw this on twitter from someone reviewing the game:

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/930024723706245120

Its pretty clear, that EA and Dice know that the progression is bull****, and made sure to hide it from reviewers.

I hope reviewers respond accordingly to this deception, and give the game low scores.

• Advertisement

Post now almost at 190k downvotes. Will likely get to 10x the number of downvotes of the previous most downvoted comment in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Whomever thought 40hrs was ever going to be acceptable for a single Hero unlock needs their head examined. I wouldn't even put that limit on a skin, nevermind a character so integral to the franchise.

Not only is the raw credit balance required for those unlocks crazy but the credit generation itself occurs over time played, not actions in-game, so as one user pointed out, if their team pulls a blinder in the early stages of a match and wins it, they'll get less points than they would if a match was dragged out and they limped across the finish line.

It's incredibly poor design throughout but, as Sonics2k points out, it will only change if their bottom line is affected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Penn wrote: »
    Post now almost at 190k downvotes. Will likely get to 10x the number of downvotes of the previous most downvoted comment in a few hours.

An impressive amount of annoyance, but I'd be utterly shocked if it made any form of difference to EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I may register a reddit account just to downvote this

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I may register a reddit account just to downvote this

cMfkFGP.gif

• Advertisement

Ara it won't make a difference.

Do you really think EA gives a sh1te what people downvote on Reddit? The only real way to get it through to them is to just not purchase the game.

If the 158K people don't buy the game, then it'll have a huge effect.

If you assume a $60 pricepoint, then 158K of those not buying the game gives EA a loss of $9,480,000.

Vote with your wallet, not your downvote.

Edit: Seems to have pretty much reached 200K, which would be $12,000,000.

gizmo wrote: »
    Whomever thought 40hrs was ever going to be acceptable for a single Hero unlock needs their head examined. I wouldn't even put that limit on a skin, nevermind a character so integral to the franchise.

Not only is the raw credit balance required for those unlocks crazy but the credit generation itself occurs over time played, not actions in-game, so as one user pointed out, if their team pulls a blinder in the early stages of a match and wins it, they'll get less points than they would if a match was dragged out and they limped across the finish line.

It's incredibly poor design throughout but, as Sonics2k points out, it will only change if their bottom line is affected.

It's incredibly sneaky, they target the maximum amount of players that way not just the usual soft targets of impatient players or poorer ones looking for an easy leg up and are willing to pay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

EA wont care in the slightest.
    They also wont care that in my opinion the game is utter garbage.

I stopped buying COD in 2012 and the game just went from strength to strength. Still it cost Activision about €300 plus the DLC which I would invariably have bought while drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

EA do care, just look at how much they cried about getting voted worst company 2 years in a row, they're still bitter about it even now.

They just wont actually do anything to change their business practices. They'll be on to reddit admins to change the rating and get their journo friends to pump out a few dozen articles about how anyone who doesnt like lootboxes and microtransactions is some kind of evil person

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I stopped buying COD in 2012 and the game just went from strength to strength

Really?

:eek:

In terms of sales I meant. Probably should have clarified that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They're just too big to fail at this point.

They might take a minor hit in sales for Star Wars but Ultimate Team packs in Fifa will probably rise again to cover any losses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

EA are the biggest ****tiest game developer going imo. They release broken games every year, only care to fix the games where you pay micro-transactions. So if a game mode doesnt make them money and its broke, they probably wont fix it or take their sweet time to fix it.

Will think twice, three times about buying their poisoned products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yakult wrote: »
    Will think twice, three times about buying their poisoned products.

Why even think, if your opinion of them is that low?

Just don't buy it. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you really think EA gives a sh1te what people downvote on Reddit? The only real way to get it through to them is to just not purchase the game.

It's about more than just a reddit downvote though. It'll get picked up by all the gaming websites and some general entertainment sites as well.

EA would care very much about this sort of mass negative publicity just ahead of the games release.
    EA are the biggest ****tiest game developer going imo. They release broken games every year, only care to fix the games where you pay micro-transactions. So if a game mode doesnt make them money and its broke, they probably wont fix it or take their sweet time to fix it.

I can't understand why they're doing this to the extent that they are with BF2 - they ****ed up the first one and promised the sequel would be the game it should have been, but then pull this?

I've no problem with loot boxes and microtransactions, but I do have a major issues obviously when they seriously affect core gameplay for those who've already paid full price for the game.

In fairness, comparisons to COD or Battlefield aren't fair as neither game - like most games with microtransactions - have a 'pay to win' element to that content like Battlefront 2 very much does.

They're essentially saying "You don't have to pay to win but if you don't.....the game will only be half as fun".

Sieghardt wrote: »
    They just wont actually do anything to change their business practices. They'll be on to reddit admins to change the rating and get their journo friends to pump out a few dozen articles about how anyone who doesnt like lootboxes and microtransactions is some kind of evil person

They don't need to get anyone to defend them. Plenty of fanboys to do it for them.

In fairness, comparisons to COD or Battlefield aren't fair as neither game - like most games with microtransactions - have a 'pay to win' element to that content like Battlefront 2 very much does.

Yeah my gripe with COD wasn't micro transaction related. I did disagree with certain things that happened which led me to make a conscious decision not to buy it anymore. Things like allowing their games to be hacked to hell and back. In fairness it makes sense from their perspective as otherwise I'd have stayed on MW2 rather than buying the next instalment. It was just so suspicious that their games seemed to be hacked just as the new one was going to get released.
    Putting tin foil hat away now but seven years on I'm still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If the 158K people don't buy the game, then it'll have a huge effect.

If you assume a $60 pricepoint, then 158K of those not buying the game gives EA a loss of $9,480,000.

Vote with your wallet, not your downvote.

Edit: Seems to have pretty much reached 200K, which would be $12,000,000.

What about the other 10million sales from people who don't read up on these things?

Companies do this, because people pay it. If 10million stopped paying then they 'might' stop.

But yeah, nothings going to change with downvotes.

People need to talk with their wallets, gamers seem to have a major problem with that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

wes wrote: »
    They don't need to get anyone to defend them. Plenty of fanboys to do it for them.

True, they gilded the post dozens of times like some kind of strike back against the downvotes, trying to pay2win even on reddit :pac:

True, they gilded the post dozens of times like some kind of strike back against the downvotes, trying to pay2win even on reddit :pac:

Really. Didn't even notice that. Something profoundly wrong with these fan boys.

It's about more than just a reddit downvote though. It'll get picked up by all the gaming websites and some general entertainment sites as well.

EA would care very much about this sort of mass negative publicity just ahead of the games release.

Has that ever had a proven negative impact on an EA games' release?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Most telling comment in the Reddit thread.

It's sickening but he's spot on. Things ain't gonna change.
    That's the problem. This type of stuff is not targeted at the average gamer. This type of stuff is targeted at the non-average, the "whales".
    One person spending $1k on a game is worth almost 200 of those that just buy the game alone. And make no mistake, there are those that spend that, and more.
    It is those people that thus stuff is aimed at.
    All EA has to do is make sure enough average gamers play to draw in the whales so that they can enjoy their pay to win against those that haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Has that ever had a proven negative impact on an EA games' release?

Negative publicity? Yes. Mass Effect Andromeda springs to mind.

If reviewers slate the game on release for this approach to gamers who've already paid full price for the game, it will affect sales.

EA do care that every gaming website going is now carrying stories that paint one of their biggest releases of the year in a terrible light.

It doesn't mean the game will flop obviously, but it will dent sales.

Also, there's never been such a unified backlash against an upcoming game this big before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It was gilded to increase the visibility of the issue, it wasn't EA that did it as it only increases the bad PR.

Advertisement