Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

As for the whole, we have to protect the vulnerable members of society who may be addicted or get addicted to gambling thing goes, I don't see people on here pushing for bookies to be closed or online gambling to be outlawed. Surely if you are this concerned about kids and vulnerable people you can't just stop with games.

You do understand bookies are heavily regulated don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

IIRC, its actually less powerful as you have to infuse something good into it to get up to a half decent power level.

Indeed, but in destiny 2, power level only matters in relation to recommended levels for the Raid and Strikes / NF. There are no power level advantages in PvP, so you could wear all loot box armour (power level 10) and be at no disadvantage outside of your ability to aim your gun (Thumbs dependant)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Penn wrote: »
    It's why I take such issue with how much additional revenue-generating systems Destiny 2 has. Season Pass, lootboxes and microtransactions... yet so much of the game is hugely copied from the first game. Same game engine (obviously), the vast majority of the enemies are the exact same, game maps reuse so many assets, skills and abilities are largely reused etc.

It has implemented more ways to get money, yet it obviously cost less to make than the first one.

Exactly!

I bet Battlefront 2 plays exactly like Battlefield 1, just reskinned and resounded. Makes me sick..

Dont even get me started on the yearly release of their sports games :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

nix wrote: »
    I bet Battlefront 2 plays exactly like Battlefield 1, just reskinned and resounded. Makes me sick..
    Until a year ago, I had not played any games since maybe Gears of War 2 with a tiny handful of exceptions - GTAIV (about when I stopped), GTAV, COD:MW2 and 1-2 Pro Ev or Madden sports games.

GTAV blew my mind with how much it had grown on the previous iteration. I've played Witcher 3 which finally overtook Mario 64 as the best game I had ever played. The really visceral feel on games like Doom and the sheer cinematics of Wolfenstein are unlike much of anything I had seen before I took a break from gaming. Mario Kart 8's middle finger to the concept of physics was tonnes of fun. The likes of ABZU were such visual treats, and indie games have come on a lot (really looking forward to Hellblade at some point in the coming months, though referring more to the likes of Inside etc). The look of Zelda, Rime, the PS4 one from last December is mesmerising. In racing games which usually isn't too appealing to me I plan on getting around to Forza Horizon 3 at some point. The Arkham games were such a leap forward that I didn't see coming (and Mad Max, which I played before them, is another example). Civ games which I've been playing since the first one have evolved so much, and the Total War and X-Com games really give a deep feel of immersion hard to come by. Despite it's story coming to the most abrupt end of about any game I can remember and the lazy last 20-odd missions that I would prefer to just not even be in he game, Metal Gear Solid V blew me the f*** away. Games across all genres and at all levels from Indie to AAA have come so, so far in my time off playing.

And yet more or less every single FPS multiplayer game still looks absolutely identical to how MW2 did over nine years ago.

Billy86 wrote: »
    And yet more or less every single FPS multiplayer game still looks absolutely identical to how MW2 did over nine years ago.

Oh im not saying all fps games arent similar, thats not why i play fps, its for the competitive aspect, id much rather if a company made an fps, that they just support that fps game for years and help the community within grow, like how its done with the likes of Counter strike and how Overwatch will be..

Unlike EA who pump out an FPS and replace it with a sequel within a year or two, and its just the same thing with minor graphics improvements, pretty much preventing any long terms competitive/casual communities growing.

My comment above comparing Bfront 2 to Bfield 1, im saying they are ultimately the same game down to the wire, just different graphical designs.. Think of how Battlefield 2 was exactly the same game as Battlefield 2142, just reskinned, its kind of disgusting :eek:

I stopped paying attention to EA games after 2142 for fear of being burned again, i did try the others i think but it would have been years after release or if i was able to try/get it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lack of discussion about the game in general here speaks volumes but figures now show that BF2 only sold 800k physical copies in November - compared to 2.1m for the first Battlefront, and 4.4m for Call of Duty.

Has to be one of the best examples of gamers voting with their wallets and actually standing firm on a boycott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This is on the christmas sale on PSN... Should I buy it or should I stand firm against loot box tyranny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

This is on the christmas sale on PSN... Should I buy it or should I stand firm against loot box tyranny?

Please!

As said before, I much prefer the likes of how Battlefield(s) handle lootboxes/weapon unlocks.

The lootboxes are awarded for playing well in matches. They're all cosmetic.

Weapon unlocks only happen when you play well or achieve certain prerequisites, such as unlocking X pistol for killing 10 people in a round with Y pistol.

As said before, I much prefer the likes of how Battlefield(s) handle lootboxes/weapon unlocks.

The lootboxes are awarded for playing well in matches. They're all cosmetic.

Weapon unlocks only happen when you play well or achieve certain prerequisites, such as unlocking X pistol for killing 10 people in a round with Y pistol.

In Battlefield you can buy shortcut kits and get all the weapons and add ons for a class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In Battlefield you can buy shortcut kits and get all the weapons and add ons for a class.

Yeah, always thought that was a bit ****ty as well but at least in Battlefield there's no major inherent advantage to most of the weapons, it's more of a preference thing between different characteristics.

I don't like it but I can live with that one. You could also do it in BF4 but like BF1 most people didn't care because a) very easy to unlock newer guns and b) starter guns are pretty good anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Yeah, always thought that was a bit ****ty as well but at least in Battlefield there's no major inherent advantage to most of the weapons, it's more of a preference thing between different characteristics.

I don't like it but I can live with that one. You could also do it in BF4 but like BF1 most people didn't care because a) very easy to unlock newer guns and b) starter guns are pretty good anyway

True to an extent. The weapons you get access to as a premium member are imo opinion a lot better. The medic has what is essentially an assualt rifle with premium. The assualt has a double barrell shotgun that is game changing when used with slugs. Now thats not to say you'll win every fight but I have noticed a mark difference in my k/d since I got premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Battlefield 4 has some very good DLC weapons as well. Just looked at this online and it had some of the best weapons. The M-Tar was a go to gun for a long time.

Rory28 wrote: »
    True to an extent. The weapons you get access to as a premium member are imo opinion a lot better. The medic has what is essentially an assualt rifle with premium. The assualt has a double barrell shotgun that is game changing when used with slugs. Now thats not to say you'll win every fight but I have noticed a mark difference in my k/d since I got premium.

Really?

TBH shotguns are mostly awful. If you're quick and able to move, then it's pretty hard to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Really?

TBH shotguns are mostly awful. If you're quick and able to move, then it's pretty hard to get you.

Slugs. If you dont get the kill you'll get counts as kill assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Anyone still holding out over the loot boxes don’t worry, you’re not missing much.

It’s very...... meh, and I loved the last BF. I platinumed the last one and all the dlc, I really enjoyed every minute If it. My copy of BF2 is being traded back tomorrow morning after 4 days of trying to enjoy it. The entire progression system, credits and crates really does nothing but add unneeded fustration. The career mode seems excellent but not for the asking price and when the multiplayer is this dissapointing.

I’ll probably buy again once it’s cheap enough but yeah, disappointed.

Loot boxes can be done right, fortnite has surprised me with is loot system, but this... meh.

I'm finding the progression to be a real slog. I could get 12 kills in a game but when I check my progression it tells me I got 2. I need 150 more kills to get a new weapon, at that rate of progression I'm looking at hundreds of hours into this game. I should be progressing at a swift pace. I'm guessing that was the original idea. Make it a real slog so that you cave in and purchase loot boxes for real world cash. They should have looked at TF and TF2 to see how to do progression properly. It's put me right off what is otherwise a fantastic game. This and the fact that they have banned child accounts from multi-player. EA are a scourge to the gaming world.

I'm finding the progression to be a real slog. I could get 12 kills in a game but when I check my progression it tells me I got 2. I need 150 more kills to get a new weapon, at that rate of progression I'm looking at hundreds of hours into this game. I should be progressing at a swift pace. I'm guessing that was the original idea. Make it a real slog so that you cave in and purchase loot boxes for real world cash. They should have looked at TF and TF2 to see how to do progression properly. It's put me right off what is otherwise a fantastic game. This and the fact that they have banned child accounts from multi-player. EA are a scourge to the gaming world.

Are you looking at kills or assists when playing the game? I know that when I played the trial I would often see that I had a score of 20 but that 10 only 10 of them were kills, the others were assists. As for child accounts being unable to play, I think that has always been the case. I don't think an underage account can even play the Plants Vs Zombies game.

Are you looking at kills or assists when playing the game? I know that when I played the trial I would often see that I had a score of 20 but that 10 only 10 of them were kills, the others were assists. As for child accounts being unable to play, I think that has always been the case. I don't think an underage account can even play the Plants Vs Zombies game.

When you think about it, Disney owning SW and all, It's quite silly that kids cant play a star wars game, i can see disney kicking EA to the kirb at their earliest convenience. And hopefully so, i would love to see a star wars MMO done proper. Star wars galaxies was great back in the day.

I'm looking at kills. I could get 12 kills in game, come out and look at progression and It'll only have gone up by 2. I've even manually counted how many kills I've gotten as opposed to assists. Sure enough, it's not tallying in my progression. Others complaining of the same online.

Child accounts can play PVZ, TF2 and Battlefield 1, all EA games. To be fair, the finger of blame should probably be pointed at the developers for not respecting parental controls. EA have told me it's EA policy but clearly not as you can play other EA games which respect the parental control settings. But what really stinks is their attitude. They really couldn't give a crud about their customers.

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    When you think about it, Disney owning SW and all, It's quite silly that kids cant play a star wars game, i can see disney kicking EA to the kirb at their earliest convenience. And hopefully so, i would love to see a star wars MMO done proper. Star wars galaxies was great back in the day.

Considering it's a game about killing people I can see why the age rating is there. I also think that the restriction on child accounts is to do with things like the coppa law. With the changes coming into effect in the EU as to how companies gather customer information expect to see other game companies restrict access to online games.
    Child accounts can play PVZ, TF2 and Battlefield 1, all EA games. To be fair, the finger of blame should probably be pointed at the developers for not respecting parental controls. EA have told me it's EA policy but clearly not as you can play other EA games which respect the parental control settings. But what really stinks is their attitude. They really couldn't give a crud about their customers.

An EA child account can't play any of those games. I tested it a couple of weeks back and made an EA account with an date of birth that made it underage, no matter what I changed on the Xbox or PS4 the account could not go online on any of those games. Could access all the offline modes and co-op in PVZ but any online mode in any game bar FIFA would not work.

Considering it's a game about killing people I can see why the age rating is there. I also think that the restriction on child accounts is to do with things like the coppa law. With the changes coming into effect in the EU as to how companies gather customer information expect to see other game companies restrict access to online games.

An EA child account can't play any of those games. I tested it a couple of weeks back and made an EA account with an date of birth that made it underage, no matter what I changed on the Xbox or PS4 the account could not go online on any of those games. Could access all the offline modes and co-op in PVZ but any online mode in any game bar FIFA would not work.
    Child accounts can play those games if you allow them in the parental controls. The parental controls are fully compliant with Copa (on the Xbox anyway). Copa, when implemented properly will allow granular parental control such as blocking communication.

As for a game about killing being blocked, it's up to the parents. I'm on Xbox and I make a call on a game by game basis. I'm lucky that I'm a gamer too so it's a very informed decision. For other parents they can choose not to allow any over age games. Point is, its up to the parent not the developers. This is in line with COPA. Which, by the way, is US legislation. Again, poor implementation to subject the whole world to US legislation.

In fact, what they are doing is avoiding their obligations to comply with COPA. rather than have to comply with it they simply block all underage accounts.

The movies are littered with senseless violence and global genocide, playing a video game is the same thing, it's an entertainment outlet.

Child accounts can play those games if you allow them in the parental controls. The parental controls are fully compliant with Copa (on the Xbox anyway). Copa, when implemented properly will allow granular parental control such as blocking communication.

As for a game about killing being blocked, it's up to the parents. I'm on Xbox and I make a call on a game by game basis. I'm lucky that I'm a gamer too so it's a very informed decision. For other parents they can choose not to allow any over age games. Point is, its up to the parent not the developers. This is in line with COPA. Which, by the way, is US legislation. Again, poor implementation to subject the whole world to US legislation.

In fact, what they are doing is avoiding their obligations to comply with COPA. rather than have to comply with it they simply block all underage accounts.

What you mean is that child accounts can play if when creating the EA account you enter a fake date of birth.

I don't think that it is a case of it being up to a parent, if a developer does not want children playing their games then they are fully entitled to block access. Sure it's not ideal and no doubt annoys many parents but at the end of the day the developer or publisher is under no obligation to grant access to their game to anyone they should choose not to. It's like saying, you should be allowed to take my kid to a 16 or 18s rated film because you as the parent get to make the choice. You can decide that they can see the film and argue all you want but no cinema will let you take your kid to see a film such as Green Room.

What you mean is that child accounts can play if when creating the EA account you enter a fake date of birth.

I don't think that it is a case of it being up to a parent, if a developer does not want children playing their games then they are fully entitled to block access. Sure it's not ideal and no doubt annoys many parents but at the end of the day the developer or publisher is under no obligation to grant access to their game to anyone they should choose not to. It's like saying, you should be allowed to take my kid to a 16 or 18s rated film because you as the parent get to make the choice. You can decide that they can see the film and argue all you want but no cinema will let you take your kid to see a film such as Green Room.
    No there's no fake Dob involved. You simply set permission to allow them to play the game.

It's got nothing to do with violence. They can play offline with the same level of violence. They are only blocked from online play.

I see your point comparing it to a 16 rated movie but video game ratings are not subjected to the same laws.

Besides, all this is doing is discouraging parents from using child accounts and hence parental controls. It's pointless and has no logical basis other than EA/developers avoiding the overhead and hassle of having to comply with legislation.

Take a look at Roblox. An online game for kids done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

being playing it the last week or so... The progression system is awful, a couple of the maps are good the rest are rubbish, I am going to bin it, it does not give me that one more go feel,

No there's no fake Dob involved. You simply set permission to allow them to play the game.

It's got nothing to do with violence. They can play offline with the same level of violence. They are only blocked from online play.

I see your point comparing it to a 16 rated movie but video game ratings are not subjected to the same laws.

Besides, all this is doing is discouraging parents from using child accounts and hence parental controls. It's pointless and has no logical basis other than EA/developers avoiding the overhead and hassle of having to comply with legislation.

Take a look at Roblox. An online game for kids done properly.

If your underage child can play BF1 online then when setting up the EA account you entered a fake date of birth. If you entered a date of birth on the EA account which makes the account underage then it will not be able to play online games such as BF1, Battlefront or TF2. Why not try creating a new EA account with a dob of 2008, no matter what you change on the Xbox or PS4 the account will not be able to access any online modes in those games.

If your underage child can play BF1 online then when setting up the EA account you entered a fake date of birth. If you entered a date of birth on the EA account which makes the account underage then it will not be able to play online games such as BF1, Battlefront or TF2. Why not try creating a new EA account with a dob of 2008, no matter what you change on the Xbox or PS4 the account will not be able to access any online modes in those games.
    Mot true. DOB is genuine and in my case taken automatically from the Xbox profile. Those games can be played because they check against the parental controls. Sw BF2 does Not, they just block you outright. You can argue that's their prerogative to do so, but they need to state it clearly on the box and parents like me simply won't buy it.

Mot true. DOB is genuine and in my case taken automatically from the Xbox profile. Those games can be played because they check against the parental controls. Sw BF2 does Not, they just block you outright. You can argue that's their prerogative to do so, but they need to state it clearly on the box and parents like me simply won't buy it.

If it is taking it from the Xbox then the dob is overage. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Make an EA account with a dob of 2008 and then link it to an Xbox or PS4 gamertag. Then try to play BF1 online

• Advertisement

If it is taking it from the Xbox then the dob is overage. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Make an EA account with a dob of 2008 and then link it to an Xbox or PS4 gamertag. Then try to play BF1 online

DOB is genuine. Confirmed by EA support. I did ask them to change it and they asked for photo ID.

Of course if you set the DOB to the appropriate age it will work. Not really sure what your point is. I prefer to keep it at a genuine age and have parental control than yo lie and give him free access to whatever he likes.

Advertisement