Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options
167891012»

Comments

DOB is genuine. Confirmed by EA support. I did ask them to change it and they asked for photo ID.

Of course if you set the DOB to the appropriate age it will work. Not really sure what your point is. I prefer to keep it at a genuine age and have parental control than yo lie and give him free access to whatever he likes.

My point is that on an EA account, if the dob is under age then no online mode will work, no matter what age is on Xbox. If you had to provide a photo ID to change dob then the account is overage.

• ziggyman17 wrote: »
    being playing it the last week or so... The progression system is awful, a couple of the maps are good the rest are rubbish, I am going to bin it, it does not give me that one more go feel,

Just goes to show how much the progression system was built around purchasing lootboxes in the first place.
    Fact you can't buy them now so the rebalancing act had to be done to actually improve the progression is evident to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

The game is riddled with hackers of varying kinds on PC and is not even remotely enjoyable as a result. Wallhacking, aimbotting, damage boosting and reduction hacks. There's at least a couple of them per team in every match. For once I've found an online FPS where I'd like to try playing the console version instead.

And then there's fully upgraded heroes like Palpatine...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Progression overhaul coming to Battlefront 2

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/progression-update
    With this update, progression is now linear. Star Cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay and will not be available for purchase. Instead, you’ll earn experience points for the classes, hero characters, and ships that you choose to play in multiplayer. If you earn enough experience points to gain a level for that unit, you'll receive one Skill Point that can be used to unlock or upgrade the eligible Star Card you'd like to equip.

You'll keep everything you’ve already earned and unlocked. You will keep all of the Star Cards, heroes, weapons, or anything else you have already earned. What you have earned will still be available to use with this update regardless of how much or little progress you have already made.

Crates no longer include Star Cards and cannot be purchased. Crates are earned by logging in daily, completing Milestones, and through timed challenges. Inside of these crates, you'll find Credits or cosmetic items, such as emotes or victory poses, but nothing that impacts gameplay.

Starting in April, you’ll be able to get appearances directly through in-game Credits or Crystals. The first new appearances are coming soon, meaning you'll be able to grab new looks for your heroes and troopers directly by using either Credits (earned in-game) or Crystals (available to purchase in-game and through first-party stores). If you’ve ever dreamed of being a part of the Resistance as a Rodian, your chance is right around the corner.

So it keeps some microtransactions for cosmetic items only (and direct purchase rather than buying loot crates) and progression now tied to XP and in-game progress.

It's pretty much how the game should have been to begin with. I don't think many people would have issue with this new system. However, I think by this point, the ship has already sailed, crashed and exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Well done for holding out everyone! We Won!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Penn wrote: »
    So it keeps some microtransactions for cosmetic items only (and direct purchase rather than buying loot crates) and progression now tied to XP and in-game progress.

No problem with that kind of micro transaction. I would even pay money if I wanted the cosmetic, and it was a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To be honest, the way even this thread died out, just shows how no one gives a **** anymore. The ship has sailed.

When they will introduce update and put it on sale for 20eu, I might look in to it. Most likely I will look in to it when it hits ea acess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think consumers can consider this one a fairly big win, the hopefully this announcement barely even being talked about is enough to scare some others off even flirting with the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When they will introduce update and put it on sale for 20eu, I might look in to it. Most likely I will look in to it when it hits ea acess.

Exactly my plan, on principle I refuse to pay for it.

The game still sold truckloads and was massively profitable, but EA a) realise they could've sold millions more copies and b) have generated massive bad-will that could impact on future sales of a potential sequel c) done damage/brought ill-repute to 'Star Wars' as a brand in gaming.

So still a huge win for gamers/consumers.

• Ubsioft as bad as EA
    Worse it's getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ubsioft as bad as EA
    Worse it's getting

Ubisoft have always been awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Can't watch the video at the minute - anyone able to give a quick synopsis? I've never played FC and was kind of looking forward to jumping in with this one, but if it has the SW:BF2 sh*te going on in it, I'm taking it off my radar entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the thing about purchasing stuff to save time is that the developers have to make the game grindy and perhaps painful grindy to entice you to buy that stuff, maybe FC5 will be fine but it's not a positive development

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the thing about purchasing stuff to save time is that the developers have to make the game grindy and perhaps painful grindy to entice you to buy that stuff, maybe FC5 will be fine but it's not a positive development

I'd say a good middleground for single player games would be to not allow in game purchases until the game has been completed at least once.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can't watch the video at the minute - anyone able to give a quick synopsis? I've never played FC and was kind of looking forward to jumping in with this one, but if it has the SW:BF2 sh*te going on in it, I'm taking it off my radar entirely.

Similar to AC Origins from the sounds of things. Speeds up progression in single player (extra currency, crafting mats, ability points etc...). Prices for items are just above the price for each tier of currency (i.e. Bow costs 550, lowest currency price gives you 500). Loads of cosmetics as well, though there's no info as to what these do (i.e. stats).

Basically what you'd expect from Ubisoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

gimli2112 wrote: »
    They don't though because the potential market for people willing to pay for those kinds of "time savers" is completely different, nevermind massively smaller, to the one that would pay for cosmetics. If you start messing with the core game loop and making everything grindy you'll turn off those who are actually willing to buy and play your game at all.

In the case of Ubisoft, Time Saver DLC has been in the Assassins Creed series since Black Flag, released five years ago, and Rocksmith, released six years ago while on the EA side, these kinds of instant unlocks have been in the Battlefield series since BF3. They're not exactly new really.

Advertisement