Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wonder will we see EA stepping back from the 5 day early play for people with EA access? It certainly hasn't done them any favours with regards to This or Mass effect.

Already starting to make news on other sites

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Already starting to make news on other sites

you mean there's other sites? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

433401.jpg

What ever about outrage that's not right.

https://twitter.com/BiggSean66/status/930058496216670211

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Comment is at -391k now

e84a6417-66b1-4122-bf5c-891011fd0a53.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

FFS there is always some bloody idiots slinging out death threats on pretty much anything these days. I don't care how bad the micro transactions are, that kind of carry is simply out of order. What the hell is wrong with some people.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Comment is at -391k now

e84a6417-66b1-4122-bf5c-891011fd0a53.png

Here is hoping that 391k don't buy the game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

EA don't give a fig, they'll pay some lip service cause they have to, but if being voted the worst company on earth twice didn't put any kind of dent in their image (and it didn't), this too shall pass and people will buy the product anyway because people always buy the product anyway. Downvoting a Reddit comment is about as effective as a fart in a hurricane because there are so many fkwits that'll threaten individual staff with death threats over anything, it means the whole thing can safely be explained away to the investors and board of directors as "typical internet hate" and if they're clever (and they are), it'll be spun into a story about how big a percentage of the news was dominated by EA products for the month of October and November "making it our most successful media campaign and launch of the year."

No, if people want to get something done about this, they need to go after the Star Wars caretakers at Disney for allowing this to happen and ruin the brand. There are few companies on earth that will rain the sort of unholy fire upon those that would attempt to damage their brand as Disney. Disney is one of the wealthiest companies in the world too, they could slap EA down without breaking a sweat if it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Death threats" Yeah, from edgy 13 year olds who think they're being funny.

Clearly shouldn't happen but if he actually fears for his life, he's an idiot.

If I was in his position and got a message saying "I'm going to kill you" and another saying "You're a cúnt." I know which one I would roll my eyes at and which one might annoy me.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Death threats" Yeah, from edgy 13 year olds who think they're being funny.

Clearly shouldn't happen but if he actually fears for his life, he's an idiot.

If I was in his position and got a message saying "I'm going to kill you" and another saying "You're a cúnt." I know which one I would roll my eyes at and which one might annoy me.

Except he lives in America where mass shootings by deranged angry white men are a weekly occurrence...

Anytime someone threatened my life when I was working here on Boards, I immediately reported it and all the relevant data I had to the Gardaí, you'd be an idiot not to.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Except he lives in America where mass shootings by deranged angry white men are a weekly occurrence...

But I'm guessing the cross-section between very upset Star Wars fan and deranged gun nut is teeny.

But I'm guessing the cross-section between very upset Star Wars fan and deranged gun nut is teeny.

lol, I don't know what rock you're living under, but Star Wars fans are amongst the most rabid and deranged of fandoms, it's just that they've been going for so long there are enough older members to make it look respectable. Just look at the sort of hate poured on George Lucas over the prequels.

Shiminay wrote:
    lol, I don't know what rock you're living under, but Star Wars fans are amongst the most rabid and deranged of fandoms, it's just that they've been going for so long there are enough older members to make it look respectable. Just look at the sort of hate poured on George Lucas over the prequels.

The way fans spoke about and treated Jake Lloyd contributed to him having serious mental health issues. He was a child and fans were horrible to him because of his role in the film. Star Wars fanboys are amongst the most rabid and it would not surprise me if one of them went full on postal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

wes wrote: »
    FFS there is always some bloody idiots slinging out death threats on pretty much anything these days. I don't care how bad the micro transactions are, that kind of carry is simply out of order. What the hell is wrong with some people.

If you're singled out by a population of 250000, or a million, or 5 million people, you're going to get some proportion of those that are gob****es, weirdos or psychopaths.

It doesn't make sense to you because people don't regularly interact with those numbers.
    We're literally not capable of comprehending it.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the concentrating power of social media but there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.
    I suppose the good news is that it's actually so incredibly rare given the numbers of people involved.

Sucks for those it happens to but there's no helping it really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This sort of **** is just unreal. Anyone who actually threatens someones life over something like this is seriously ****ed up. Don't threaten violence, because not only is it wrong, it won't in any way help your 'cause' in any way.

Even a teeny amount of people who might actually be stupid/crazy enough to do something like this would be a teeny bit too many. And unfortunately, people have been killed for less. Now i don't for any minute actually believe his life in in danger, and neither does he (probably), but this sort of carry on is absolutely unacceptable (not accusing you of saying it was :)). He didn't personally decide the loot box strategy, he just told people about it.

If you don't like the decision, don't buy the game, and as was suggested, maybe send a tweet/comment/whatever to Disney. Simple as that.

Gbear wrote: »
    If you're singled out by a population of 250000, or a million, or 5 million people, you're going to get some proportion of those that are gob****es, weirdos or psychopaths.

It doesn't make sense to you because people don't regularly interact with those numbers.
    We're literally not capable of comprehending it.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the concentrating power of social media but there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.
    I suppose the good news is that it's actually so incredibly rare given the numbers of people involved.

Sucks for those it happens to but there's no helping it really.

Oh I understand that, but I think a hard line needs to be taken against people who harass and make death threats. I they need to be made examples of legally. That kind of carry on needs to be dealt with severely. I think society at least needs to try and shuttle these people down.

I get that we as well be pissing in the wind got all the good it will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cost of unlocking heroes to be reduced by 75%

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-launchchangesblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=41287&ts=1510608729384
    So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is that each? Like 15000 for Luke and 15000 for Vader. So 20 hours play, assuming they don't buy any other characters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Translation: "Oh, fúck. Oh, fúck. Oh, fúck. Please buy the fúcking game or we are in serious trouble."

Its really simple: cancel the loot-boxes. Make everything unlockable via in-game play just like Battlefield 1 and every other Battlefield before it. But, naaah, they are still holding out for some tasty, juicy greed.

EA: 'Always pushing boundaries to the limit in every possible way.'

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So is that each? Like 15000 for Luke and 15000 for Vader. So 20 hours play, assuming they don't buy any other characters

Originally they were 60k each and they thought it would take about 40 hours to unlock them so now at 15k it should take 10 hours. So 20 hours for both now yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Falthyron wrote: »
    Translation: "Oh, fúck. Oh, fúck. Oh, fúck. Please buy the fúcking game or we are in serious trouble."

Its really simple: cancel the loot-boxes. Make everything unlockable via in-game play just like Battlefield 1 and every other Battlefield before it. But, naaah, they are still holding out for some tasty, juicy greed.

EA: 'Always pushing boundaries to the limit in every possible way.'
    I wonder what the reaction online would be if EA released a statement saying "Hey, we ****ed up with the lootboxes so what we're gona do is unlock everything from the start but any future content will now be paid DLC and there'll be a Season Pass available for those wishing to purchase it all, just like Battlefield 1".

Would folk here prefer that?

Well some.good news. I am surprised that the did anything at all for players.

They're doing an AMA on Wednesday. That'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw comments elsewhere about how Battlefield 1 and the last BAttlefront both dropped off pretty quick on PC. Don't know about consoles. So could imagine with less of a userbase due to this how fast it would drop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I saw comments elsewhere about how Battlefield 1 and the last BAttlefront both dropped off pretty quick on PC. Don't know about consoles. So could imagine with less of a userbase due to this how fast it would drop off.

Battlefront did, because it was an incredibly shallow game.

Battlefield 1 is very healthy overall and reasonably OK on PC.

Battlefront - Currently online players (Total: 20,185)

BF1 - Currently online players (Total: 90,785)

BF1 has a 24h peak of 23,162 on PC which is a fairly good figure for a game on that platform, that's now a year old.

They're doing an AMA on Wednesday. That'll be fun.

Looking to break the record they set today maybe??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

wes wrote: »
    Here is hoping that 391k don't buy the game.

People if they absolutely have to have this game, only need to hold off buying it for a week or two after launch and EA will be freaking out.

I'd have quite a large and varied friends list on ps4 and Xbox and nobody plays those, hell nobody even playing Destiny 2 already. Anyone playing multiplayer on my lists are playing Overwatch, with the odd 2 or 3 a night in COD WW2

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    People if they absolutely have to have this game, only need to hold off buying it for a week or two after launch and EA will be freaking out.

It will probably be on sale before Christmas as well......

Advertisement