Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options

Comments

• Penn wrote: »

What this clearly shows is how with the click of a finger a monetized gambling system can be adjusted however they (EA in this case) deem fit.
    All controlled server side I'd assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Is there a thread for discussing the game anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was genuinely going to get it and then all this blew up, now I have no interest in it. Probably need to start a thread to discuss the game away from our EA bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had 0 interest in the first after they made a hash of that one, and i now have less than 0 interest in the second one thanks to the P2W element of this.

Cost of all these things is all relative. Someone who spends something like €50k on a watch doesn't live in my world. Plenty of people won't see the P2W thing as an issue. Getting murdered by rich people doesn't appeal to me in real life or in gaming.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

I love Star Wars but I HATED the first one and based on the beta I won't be buying this either. Rubbish maps. No squads. No teamwork. No choosable spawn points. Sure, it looks and sounds AMAZING but the rot sets in quick. I'm happy playing the 2003 version. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Played through the EA Access 10 hour trial and it's a lot of fun but a little basic. The main Galactic 40-player mode had me wishing that it had more of the objective complexity and team work of Battlefield. Even having a medic class would make a big difference.

Think I'll probably still pick it up on Friday mind you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think I'll just boot up and play the 2005 Battlefront 2. At least I know I'll have a bit of fun with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I read online that although the cost of unlocking the hero cards have reduced by 75%, so too have the rewards for playing.

If that's true (I can't confirm and can't find the link sorry), it means that the time needed to unlock the items will stay the same.

Can anyone verify this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've cancelled my pre-order anyway. Will give it a week or two and see what the lay of the land is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I read online that although the cost of unlocking the hero cards have reduced by 75%, so too have the rewards for playing.

If that's true (I can't confirm and can't find the link sorry), it means that the time needed to unlock the items will stay the same.

Can anyone verify this?

Not fully true. The cost to unlock the top tier heroes has indeed been reduced 75%, and the lesser tiers adjusted accordingly.

The amount of credits received for the single player campaign has also been reduced as the reward for this was supposed to only allow the unlocking for Iden. (or used on whatever else you wanted). With her original cost being reduced, so too has the credit reward for the single player.
    All other credits are still the same afaik.
    I've cancelled my pre-order anyway. Will give it a week or two and see what the lay of the land is then.

I cancelled mine after the beta as I wasn't overly impressed. I have the 10 hours from Origin Access available to me though so I'll boot that up in the coming weeks after things are tweaked and see what it's like then.

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Death threats" Yeah, from edgy 13 year olds who think they're being funny.

Clearly shouldn't happen but if he actually fears for his life, he's an idiot.

If I was in his position and got a message saying "I'm going to kill you" and another saying "You're a cúnt." I know which one I would roll my eyes at and which one might annoy me.

How are you supposed to differentiate between an "edgy 13 year old" and someone who legitimately means harm? F*ck sake, people have been killed for much less.

Also "edgy 13 year olds" can still cause a sh1tload of harm. Remember when swatting was a real thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thepoet85 wrote: »

Can anyone verify this?

From what I'v read online, the reward for completing the campaign has been cut down from 20k to 5k but the rewards from playing MP matches have not been touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Angron wrote: »
    I think I'll just boot up and play the 2005 Battlefront 2. At least I know I'll have a bit of fun with that one.

I'll just play one of the hundreds of other incredible games released this year that dont have microtransactions or loot boxes. Not sure why more people dont do that rather than try to decide just how screwed over they're willing to let themselves be

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I'll just play one of the hundreds of other incredible games released this year that dont have microtransactions or loot boxes. Not sure why more people dont do that rather than try to decide just how screwed over they're willing to let themselves be

There's a Star Wars game coming out. People have the desire to play a Star Wars game as a result. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sieghardt wrote: »

Or you know, you can do both. Fundamentally Battlefront is a really fun shooter that does a good job with the Star Wars licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

For the lads that are cancelling pre-orders, why did you pre-order in the first place? I just don't understand the logic? Not having a go or anything just genuinely curious. Only games I've ever pre-ordered are GTA vice city when I was teenager and a couple of versions of FIFA/PES to get the packs for FUT or whatever pre-order bonus I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For the lads that are cancelling pre-orders, why did you pre-order in the first place? I just don't understand the logic? Not having a go or anything just genuinely curious. Only games I've ever pre-ordered are GTA vice city when I was teenager and a couple of versions of FIFA/PES to get the packs for FUT or whatever pre-order bonus I get.

Can't speak for Battlefront II as I didn't pre-order it, but any game I've pre-ordered in the last year has almost purely been because of pre-loading so I have the game ready to go when it's officially released (given how many games are 40gb+). That's mostly due to now living somewhere with good internet and buying more games digitally.

• Advertisement

I have pre-ordered Destiny 2 and Wolfenstein 2, this year. I regret nothing. Probably pre-ordered Battlefield 1 come to think of it.

I'll pre-order TLOU2 once ND start marketing it.

• They have time gated the arcade mode like a mobile f2p game

EA people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw that. "Earn more credits in 3 hours" or something similar.

Candy Crush levels of nonsense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They have time gated the arcade mode like a mobile f2p game

EA people

Seriously? That's absolutely ridiculous. I actually find it hard to believe that they thought this would be ok. Anyone who buys the game in it's current form is just asking for this **** to become normal.

• Kiith wrote: »
    Seriously? That's absolutely ridiculous. I actually find it hard to believe that they thought this would be ok. Anyone who buys the game in it's current form is just asking for this **** to become normal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7crz6w/star_wars_battlefront_ii_arcade_mode_credits_time/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think that downvote now stands at 679,000 plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think that downvote now stands at 679,000 plus!

They're doing an AMA on Reddit today.

This will not end well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's an utterly bizarre move given the way credits are even earned. If they're based on playtime with some performance modifiers then just scale how many credits are rewarded based on the time taken to complete the Challenges and the difficulty selected. That would have been a far friendly way to handle it rather than actually gating whether you can earn any rewards from repeated playthroughs.

It's similar to the credits reward changing for completion of the campaign. If the idea was to give you enough credits to unlock Iden as a Hero then why not just unlock her automatically and, if a player has already unlocked her from playing enough multiplayer before completing the campaign, then just make it clear you're rewarded for the amount she costs. Instead you have even more unnecessary bad press piling on top of everything else.

Penn wrote: »

Here is the link for it https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7d0793/information_about_the_ama_on_wednesday/

/readies popcorns :pac:

Actually some zingers there already
    Finally tomorrow we will feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment by finally unlocking some answers after the hard grind of over 670.000 downvotes credits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Penn wrote: »

End well? I doubt it will even start well.

I try to avoid any games with micro transactions and loot boxes, which contain elements that are essential to game progression or give players an unfair advantage. Otherwise I don't really mind them.

Advertisement