Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options

Comments

I don't think that the arcade mode is time-gated, just that you can only earn a certain number of credits at a time. You can still play arcade mode, just not earn credits for a few hours once you hit the limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i saw that. I guess when credits are used to purchase actual player improvements in MP, i can understand that.

Everything else is still total bull**** though :P

• I don't think that the arcade mode is time-gated, just that you can only earn a certain number of credits at a time. You can still play arcade mode, just not earn credits for a few hours once you hit the limit.

So earn a set amount of credits within a time period and you are forced to stop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think that the arcade mode is time-gated, just that you can only earn a certain number of credits at a time. You can still play arcade mode, just not earn credits for a few hours once you hit the limit.

Yeah you can still play Arcade mode, you just don't earn credits for it after a point, and have to wait a number of hours (I've seen 3 hours and 14 hours mentioned, I'm guessing it goes in 24 hour periods).

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So earn a set amount of credits within a time period and you are forced to stop :pac:

You're not forced to stop, you just don't earn credits for awhile.

• Advertisement

• You're not forced to stop, you just don't earn credits for awhile.

Exactly. I highly doubt anybody will play it without earning credits.
    It's indirect time-gating of a game mode. They no that the majority of people will not play it once the credits stop rolling in.

Exactly. I highly doubt anybody will play it without earning credits.
    It's indirect time-gating of a game mode. They no that the majority of people will not play it once the credits stop rolling in.

So what you are saying is that people only play games now to earn credits? That if the game had no microtransactions or in-game currency that people would never have bothered to play arcade mode as there is nothing to gain from playing it?

• So what you are saying is that people only play games now to earn credits? That if the game had no microtransactions or in-game currency that people would never have bothered to play arcade mode as there is nothing to gain from playing it?

Take your head out of how you play as an individual, think of the target audience here.

People will play arcade mode for the enjoyment however;

The majority will play it to earn credits alongside that enjoyment. Especially if from a mechanical perspective it is directly built into progression.
    The power of that additive feeling of progression has been popularized in multiplayer titles like COD 4.
    That's the thought process behind stopping you earning beyond a certain time period.
    EA could not directly prevent you from playing the game mode, this is just a sneaky way of doing it. (although honestly nothing surprises me when it comes to them)

So what you are saying is that people only play games now to earn credits? That if the game had no microtransactions or in-game currency that people would never have bothered to play arcade mode as there is nothing to gain from playing it?

The point is that for a game which uses rewards to progress and whose whole system revolves around earning credits to upgrade or unlock items, limiting the rewards you get based on the mode you choose to play for no reason other than to slow down your progression to entice you further to spend actual money to unlock items and progress, is sh*tty.

Boogie2988 said it best when he found out about the limit while streaming the game; "We're sorry, you were enjoying Arcade Mode too much, so we have to stop giving you prizes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So what you are saying is that people only play games now to earn credits?

That's not what he said at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i saw that. I guess when credits are used to purchase actual player improvements in MP, i can understand that.

Everything else is still total bull**** though :P
    Aye, it'll solely be designed to stop farming credits but like I said above, there are way better ways of doing that without pissing people off along the way.

At this stage I feel bad for the actual developers at DICE, they're actively being ****ed over by nonsensical decisions like this.

Take your head out of how you play as an individual, think of the target audience here.

People will play arcade mode for the enjoyment however;

The majority will play it to earn credits alongside that enjoyment. Especially if from a mechanical perspective it is directly built into progression.
    The power of that additive feeling of progression has been popularized in multiplayer titles like COD 4.
    That's the thought process behind stopping you earning beyond a certain time period.
    EA could not directly prevent you from playing the game mode, this is just a sneaky way of doing it. (although honestly nothing surprises me when it comes to them)
    Penn wrote: »
    The point is that for a game which uses rewards to progress and whose whole system revolves around earning credits to upgrade or unlock items, limiting the rewards you get based on the mode you choose to play for no reason other than to slow down your progression to entice you further to spend actual money to unlock items and progress, is sh*tty.

Boogie2988 said it best when he found out about the limit while streaming the game; "We're sorry, you were enjoying Arcade Mode too much, so we have to stop giving you prizes!"

No one is saying that it isn't a bad decision, just that not every aspect of the game has to be about earning credits. I played Arcade mode last night for a bit, earned some credits and then played on after I stopped getting them because it was enjoyable. Can I ask M!ck, will you be buying Battlefront 2?

• No one is saying that it isn't a bad decision, just that not every aspect of the game has to be about earning credits. I played Arcade mode last night for a bit, earned some credits and then played on after I stopped getting them because it was enjoyable. Can I ask M!ck, will you be buying Battlefront 2?

Again you are thinking of you as an individual. I'm commenting on the obvious thought process used by EA towards majority of consumers. It's surely not that hard to understand. The whole progression system is built around it.

If you must know, I won't be purchasing it. Maybe a second hand copy form CEX a couple of months down the line and dependent on what happens over the next few weeks.
    What does that have to do with discussing the issues? I'm not understanding why that has any relevance.

Again you are thinking of you as an individual. I'm commenting on the obvious thought process used by EA towards majority of consumers. It's surely not that hard to understand. The whole progression system is built around it.

If you must know, I won't be purchasing it. Maybe a second hand copy form CEX a couple of months down the line and dependent on what happens over the next few weeks.
    What does that have to do with discussing the issues? I'm not understanding why that has any relevance.

I understand it fine, I just find the outrage out it a little over the top. Sure loot crates aren't ideal and not something I support but then again when I get the game I'll most likely play the campaign and leave it at that beyond playing a small big of online. I'm not a fan of loot crates or microtransactions and as such don't support games with them but at the same time have no problem with how a developer or publisher uses them. I loved Red Dead Redemption but with Take Two introducing them to all games, will happily skip the game so as not to support them and if I do support it will wait till it costs a tenner.

It has relevance in that many of the people outraged over loot crates will still buy the games in question all the time complaining about how awful it is. Gamers need to vote with their wallets.

• I understand it fine, I just find the outrage out it a little over the top. Sure loot crates aren't ideal and not something I support but then again when I get the game I'll most likely play the campaign and leave it at that beyond playing a small big of online. I'm not a fan of loot crates or microtransactions and as such don't support games with them but at the same time have no problem with how a developer or publisher uses them. I loved Red Dead Redemption but with Take Two introducing them to all games, will happily skip the game so as not to support them and if I do support it will wait till it costs a tenner.

It has relevance in that many of the people outraged over loot crates will still buy the games in question all the time complaining about how awful it is. Gamers need to vote with their wallets.

My outrage surely doesn't seem that over the top.
    It's about time gamers who have invested huge time and money into the pass-time they love speak out against what's arguably the worst inception of a f2p model in a paid game.
    And it's obviously having some effect as EA are reacting to it all week.

My outrage surely doesn't seem that over the top.
    It's about time gamers who have invested huge time and money into the pass-time they love speak out against what's arguably the worst inception of a f2p model in a paid game.
    And it's obviously having some effect as EA are reacting to it all week.

Just don't support games you have issue with. It's that simple. And yes this may mean that you stop playing franchises you love but if you care this much about something then you should just not support it. Of course they will listen, they said from day one that they would react to feedback and already did after the Alpha and Beta. Also calling it F2P model is wrong, it's not. You can still access everything in game and never spend a cent, you just have to grind a little more. It's not the end of the world and again, if people are so morally opposed to them they should just say no. But we all know that many of those redditers who downvoted and posted about how evil it was will buy the game on launch day or before.

• Just don't support games you have issue with. It's that simple. And yes this may mean that you stop playing franchises you love but if you care this much about something then you should just not support it. Of course they will listen, they said from day one that they would react to feedback and already did after the Alpha and Beta. Also calling it F2P model is wrong, it's not. You can still access everything in game and never spend a cent, you just have to grind a little more. It's not the end of the world and again, if people are so morally opposed to them they should just say no. But we all know that many of those redditers who downvoted and posted about how evil it was will buy the game on launch day or before.

It's really not that simple. But I've been here explaining this yesterday.
    It really is the closest thing yet to a F2P system in a paid game.
    You got to a lot more than a little grinding too. That has already been calculated.
    And yes, it's not the end of the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's really not that simple. But I've been here explaining this yesterday.
    It really is the closest thing yet to a F2P system in a paid game.
    You got to a lot more than a little grinding too. That has already been calculated.
    And yes, it's not the end of the world :pac:

Ah come on now, it's only a year and a half to unlock everything if you play 8 hours a day :confused:

As for it not being end of the world, that requires the upcoming DLC :D Seems the single player campaign is kinda unfinished and you need to wait for the Resurrection DLC in December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hopefully this hits them hard and the lesson is learned. I will never pay a micro transaction after buying a game. I've only ever bought dlc once and that was because I got the super edition of a game for a good price pre release and it included all the dlc. No issue with games like gears or War and their money making on things like skins for characters and weapons when they don't give you a gaming advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Guy who claimed he got death threats, turns out doesn't even work at EA:

https://kotaku.com/the-curious-case-of-the-ea-game-dev-who-said-he-receive

He seems to some obsessive fan boy, who fooled a lot of people.

Guess I learned a lesson that just because someone claims they received threats on Twitter doesn't mean it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Or he's some dude who got a contract job in QA, talked himself up to "Game dev @EA" and realised he wasn't going to have a job for much longer if he stayed in the spotlight like that.

In any case Mat Everett most definitely does work there...

On a considerably lighter note though...

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/930865648808448001

:pac:

So far the responses on their AMA are basically just "Oh we'll be monitoring and adjusting things going forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Single player campaign only 4-5 hours :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just don't support games you have issue with. It's that simple. And yes this may mean that you stop playing franchises you love but if you care this much about something then you should just not support it. Of course they will listen, they said from day one that they would react to feedback and already did after the Alpha and Beta. Also calling it F2P model is wrong, it's not. You can still access everything in game and never spend a cent, you just have to grind a little more. It's not the end of the world and again, if people are so morally opposed to them they should just say no. But we all know that many of those redditers who downvoted and posted about how evil it was will buy the game on launch day or before.

I don't think that's a great solution to be honest, I know Mick is a Man Utd fan and it would be like saying in the three years under David Moyes and Louis van Gaal (which were terrible for so many reasons beyond just results, if you're not a football fan) "just stop watching them rather than complaining about it" - it's not a good solution ultimately.

Furthermore, not making noise about your displeasure at what I'd consider entirely unethical carry only allows it to become more and more prevalent, and before long it can become the norm more or less across the board, not just for a few franchises or publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The more that people are digging into the actual systems behind it, the worse it looks. I finished the 10 hour trial today and while I enjoy the fundamentals of the game and they way it plays for the most part, there's just too much dodginess going on in the progression for me to buy it at launch. I'll give it a few weeks and see where it lands now, where as I was fully ready to pick it up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I see some youtubers talking up the game and downplaying the impact of playercards.
    One I saw tore it apart, intimated he'd buy it anyway and all he could really do in protest is post a video to say whoever came up with the implementation of loot crates sucks. I've a feeling the game will do ok on the basis "there's no such thing as bad publicity"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimli2112 wrote:
    I've a feeling the game will do ok on the basis "there's no such thing as bad publicity"

I dunno Mass Effect Andromeda & Assassins Creed Unity I think damaged both of those franchises long term.
    The new movie will help this but I hope it doesn't do well as what they tried to do looks like a total piss take that has been badly handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I am starting to think any time some thing like happens with a huge backlash they plant the death threats themselves in some sort of attempt to shut down any criticism as if those threats hold any weight anyway. Well i suppose Americans but the rest of us are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Big star wars fan. I was going to buy it. Not anymore. The more I heard/read about it leading up to launch....the worse it got.

These sort of business practices have been building for years....because of apologists and people making excuses. "This is how the industry is now!" "You don't understand how game development really works!" "They HAVE to do this to stay in business!"

Bollox to that. Leaving aside the microtransaction f*ckeroo for a minute, loot boxes are gambling. Plain and simple. They are marketing gambling to children. It's going to take time for the regulations to catch up and you best believe the publishers are going to make as much hay as possible until they do.

So you have to vote with your wallet. And I will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kirby wrote: »
    Big star wars fan. I was going to buy it.

I even bought the prequel book in anticipation of the game. Had 0 interest in the multi player. Just wanted to play the campaign, but I can't stomach this at all.

I might pick if up second hand for 10 euro or wait for the price to drop to 10 euro and I may pick it up.

At this point, I may just watch the story bits on youtube instead.

Advertisement