Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA messed up - the huge backlash about SW : BF2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not sure if its been posted yet but that EA game dev who claimed they received death threats looks to have been a phony

https://kotaku.com/the-curious-case-of-the-ea-game-dev-who-said-he-receive-1820474458

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The thing is a lot of devs are gonna be pissed as hell about this, lootboxes have been chugging along quietly making everyone money but EA had to be the d1cks who made this go public through their own insatiable greed and now its a very real possibility they might get classed as gambling which will fvck over everyone. Whatever about AAA and other console/PC games using lootboxes just think about the mobile market how the hell is that gonna be affected if they get classed as gambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

VinLieger wrote: »
    The thing is a lot of devs are gonna be pissed as hell about this, lootboxes have been chugging along quietly making everyone money but EA had to be the d1cks who made this go public through their own insatiable greed and now its a very real possibility they might get classed as gambling which will fvck over everyone. Whatever about AAA and other console/PC games using lootboxes just think about the mobile market how the hell is that gonna be affected if they get classed as gambling?

I think it will be fantastic if they get classed as gambling and treated as such - because that's exactly what they are. As a pretty stable adult, I have the wherewithal to see these scummy practices for what they are but I'd imagine it's a very different story for impressionable kids or people with addictive personalities.

• Advertisement

I think it will be fantastic if they get classed as gambling and treated as such - because that's exactly what they are. As a pretty stable adult, I have the wherewithal to see these scummy practices for what they are but I'd imagine it's a very different story for impressionable kids or people with addictive personalities.

Ohh i definitely agree they are 100% gambling, its just gonna be an almighty mess and huge shakeup of the mobile market if it does happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ohh i definitely agree they are 100% gambling, its just gonna be an almighty mess and huge shakeup of the mobile market if it does happen

Wouldn't be a bad thing, the mobile market is overflowing with cynical excrement, generally aimed at extracting as much money as it can out of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Fcuk that wanker.

He was super quick to throw gamers under the bus over the false death threats and apologize on behalf of all gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

bigphil2 wrote: »

Who is Stan_Rock EA's CEO?

• Advertisement

• Venom wrote: »
    Fcuk that wanker.

He was super quick to throw gamers under the bus over the false death threats and apologize on behalf of all gamers.

He would be fairly right in calling it out.
    The source was incorrect tho, but regardless death threats make any argument look ridiculous and it's happened plenty of times by some lunatic rabbid fanboys in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

well here's all the AMA answer from reddit, that went well ! (no not really)
    https://www.reddit.com/user/d_FireWall

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Venom wrote: »
    Fcuk that wanker.

They werent known to be false at the time and there is history with death threats over stuff like this..

He would be fairly right in calling it out.
    The source was incorrect tho, but regardless death threats make any argument make every look ridiculous and it's happened plenty of times by some lunatic rabbid fanboys in the past.
    bigphil2 wrote: »
    They werent known to be false at the time and there is history with death threats over stuff like this..

Calling it out is perfectly fine but when you put the blame on everyone and not just those that made the threats, you are way over the line.

Let's also not forget that zero evidence of death threats were provided at the time either.

Calling it out is perfectly fine but when you put the blame on everyone and not just those that made the threats, you are way over the line.

Let's also not forget that zero evidence of death threats were provided at the time either.

Did he blame everyone? Link?

Did he blame everyone? Link?

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/930191981057372163

He pretty much sticks to his argument of all gamers being responsible for the actions of a few in later tweets as well.

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/930191981057372163

He pretty much sticks to his argument of all gamers being responsible for the actions of a few in later tweets as well.

I think that reads exactly what I stated earlier. He's not directly blaming everyone. He's indicating that when someone is being a pyscho rabbid fanboy it paints a picture on everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Honestly the death threat stuff has become normalized for some people online. I get told to kill myself pretty much everyday I play mobas, every week or so I will get someone directly threating my life, saying they they are going to track my IP and murder my family ect, no joke, this has happened countless times over the past few years.

I remember when doing that stuff was an insta ban in most games. Not so much anymore. So it's not surprising it's spilling over to game devs.

I view it as a completely seperate issue to EA's ****ty practices however. Recieving death threats doesn't absolve you of double billing people for your ****ty pay to win game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honestly the death threat stuff has become normalized for some people online. I get told to kill myself pretty much everyday I play mobas, every week or so I will get someone directly threating my life, saying they they are going to track my IP and murder my family ect, no joke, this has happened countless times over the past few years.

I remember when doing that stuff was an insta ban in most games. Not so much anymore. So it's not surprising it's spilling over to game devs.

I view it as a completely seperate issue to EA's ****ty practices however. Recieving death threats doesn't absolve you of double billing people for your ****ty pay to win game.
    Except no one gave this guy death threats, he's some internet nobody who wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

• Advertisement

This **** is a bit of a circus really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Except no one gave this guy death threats, he's some internet nobody who wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

Yeah but lets be honest, while this particular incident may be a hoax, there are hundreds of examples when it's genuine - http://www.gamesradar.com/7-instances-where-gamers-threatened-kill-their-favorite-game-developers/

It's not even seen as unusual anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah but lets be honest, while this particular incident may be a hoax, there are hundreds of examples when it's genuine - http://www.gamesradar.com/7-instances-where-gamers-threatened-kill-their-favorite-game-developers/

Not to mention on this particular project with the actual Community Manager getting them. Even with this more accurate example though, Boogie's assertions in that tweet and its follow ups are still almost entirely off base imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And?

Games sell in the millions.
    Fanbases can be larger than sales even (think pirates, or kids who play on their sibling's / friend's accounts).

Now add in the G.I.F.T.
    4fc.jpg

Probably 1 threat in a million is genuine.

This is a seperate issue to what EA are doing. It's a great deflection to the criticism they are getting over this.

I do think death threats are different from calling someone a ****wad, one is just being a dick and mostly letting off steam, while the other is harassment. It does affect people, even if you know that most of it is total bull****. I don't think condoning death threats is a good stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well how many game developers have been murdered because of unpopular game features? None, I'd guess. Unfortunately a large subset of gamers are dicks, not just to developers but to other gamers too. I don't even play online anymore despite being fairly active in UT99 & BF2142. That said, taking these threats seriously is just playing into the hands of theses losers. As with all Internet trolls, ignoring them is the best option.

Of course I won't be buying BF2 either way. It just sounds boring to me regardless of my love SW. KOTOR 3 or nothing 😀

Some gameplay footage of Darth Vader ;)

https://imgur.com/5lKYfh6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And the microtransactions are gone... for now:

https://kotaku.com/ea-temporarily-removes-microtransactions-from-star-wars-1820528445

Remember when EA said 'oh boy the Star Wars licence, what could possibly go wrong?'*

*actual quote from actual press release

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/eastarwars/status/931332890717143040

"Will become available at a later date."

Translation; "We didn't expect this shítstorm, we'll wait until things quiet down and then make a few extra quid from you saps."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And the microtransactions are gone... for now:

https://kotaku.com/ea-temporarily-removes-microtransactions-from-star-wars-1820528445

Remember when EA said 'oh boy the Star Wars licence, what could possibly go wrong?'*

*actual quote from actual press release
    CNNMoney contacting Disney for comment?!

riggity_wrecked_son_rick_morty.gif

EDIT: Ugh, and yet another DICE representative sent out to take the flak on this...

Advertisement