Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 8th July 2018

Options
  • 13-11-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Might as well start a new thread for next years event...all going well.

Buddy of mine was talking to ship my bike the weekend and the lad will give us a deal if we get 5 people to book in...
    Any body interested..I have 3 so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Interested..will give you a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I'm interested too.
    Any idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

sbs2010 wrote: »
    I'm interested too.
    Any idea of cost?

For the event itself or for the bike shipping? €265 is what im told and if we get 5 not sure but it will be a bargaining chip.
    I wasn't really clear on my opening post....

The event itself you can do DIY which is our chosen route...
    Booked online €116 with insurance (not sure what the one we bought what your covered for it was only €5 so cant imagine its much and going to book a separate one anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mavic09

Has registration opened for this event yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I'm afraid that was a rush of blood to the head from me the other day.

Its not really doable for me this time around. 2019 perhaps.

Best of luck to all who do make the trip.

• Advertisement

Mavic09 wrote: »
    Has registration opened for this event yet?

Opened for solo events 13th...
    http://www.marmottegranfondoseries.com/index.php

sbs2010 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that was a rush of blood to the head from me the other day.

Its not really doable for me this time around. 2019 perhaps.

Best of luck to all who do make the trip.

As Mrs Doyle in Father go wan, go wan, go wan go wan...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Doc07

Might as well start a new thread for next years event...all going well.

Buddy of mine was talking to ship my bike the weekend and the lad will give us a deal if we get 5 people to book in...
    Any body interested..I have 3 so far.

Recommend it. Did it last year. Will do it again but in another couple of years when I'm 40 so get a few extra minutes to try for gold medal.
    You can obviously cycle all the famous climbs plenty of other days without the same expense but it really is a special event.

My only advice is to consider renting a bike. You have to act fast as the shops seep out months in advance. You can get fantastic bikes for 3 days rental for half the price of shipping your bike.
    That been said the shipmytribike lads are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

How is the training going? Turbo for me only. Time and weather causing havoc.

There are 5 of us going over again from Limerick. Flying into Lyon on July 6th. Have rented 2 car/vans. Bikes already hired from shop on top of Alpe d'Hueze. Staying 20 mins outside of Bourg D'Oisans.

• Advertisement

Kyran7 wrote: »
    How is the training going? Turbo for me only. Time and weather causing havoc.

Training outdoors consistent albeit havent broke a century yet,
    Eating less on the other hand is a taking a bit of getting used to...
    Trying to shed a bit of timber....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

There are 5 of us going over again from Limerick. Flying into Lyon on July 6th. Have rented 2 car/vans. Bikes already hired from shop on top of Alpe d'Hueze. Staying 20 mins outside of Bourg D'Oisans.

Also signed up. Had been hoping to take my bike but now checking out rentals. Can you recommend a reputable bike rental shop?

Also signed up. Had been hoping to take my bike but now checking out rentals. Can you recommend a reputable bike rental shop?

We have used Rocky Sports for the past 4 years. Using him again this year. He is situated just a little bit from finish line on Alpe D’Hueze. Can’t fault him. But there are others there also and more in the town of Bourg D’ Oisans under the Alpe. My advice woulld be to book now or as soon as possible.

Ive not done it before but this lad was the only crowd who got back to me from a few emails id sent off earlier.
    He’s based in Bourg D’Oisian (start line).
    He did say he was taking some time off during the ski season in case you dont get a response but you can book it all online.
    Having saved on accomodation costs we’ve decided for the extra €100 or so to ship our own bikes.

https://www.prompt.cc/lamarmottecyclehire.aspx?coldate=06/07/2018&hiredays=4&order=&filter=&size=

Ive not done it before but this lad was the only crowd who got back to me from a few emails id sent off earlier.
    He’s based in Bourg D’Oisian (start line).
    He did say he was taking some time off during the ski season in case you dont get a response but you can book it all online.
    Having saved on accomodation costs we’ve decided for the extra €100 or so to ship our own bikes.

https://www.prompt.cc/lamarmottecyclehire.aspx?coldate=06/07/2018&hiredays=4&order=&filter=&size=
    Good stuff! Do you mind me asking where about ye are staying? I had accommodation in Bourg D Oisans but lost it. Like that little town. No about 20-25 mins outside the town.

Good stuff! Do you mind me asking where about ye are staying? I had accommodation in Bourg D Oisans but lost it. Like that little town. No about 20-25 mins outside the town.

Staying in Alp Dhuez itself not sure of the exact hotel or name but its very central.
    I’ll check the details and pm you Monday when I get to a computer.
    Did it through the main website (same you booked the event on) accom partners section...they had places reserved for attendees as we were strugglng to get accom before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

Thanks to you both. Good luck with the training. It’s going to be a tough day out. The last I did it, the climb up Alpe was in 40 degree heat and had bodies littered on both sides of the road.

Here you go Kryan... Hotel available for 3 nights arriving 6th in Alpe Dhueuz
    Just go into the link below accommodation section it will bring you through.

http://www.marmottegranfondoseries.com/epreuve.php?C=1#villes

We just paid a deposit balance to be paid 4 weeks before...

Thanks to you both. Good luck with the training. It’s going to be a tough day out. The last I did it, the climb up Alpe was in 40 degree heat and had bodies littered on both sides of the road.

Where they dead or alive bodies:eek:

Rigtheo next batch of questions for past participants...

i keep getting an email to upload my medical form (I will sort it soon)

Do I need a cycling Ireland membership? If so what version is best?

How are the pen numbers dished out? Is it on the morning of registration or does your CI membership dictate the pen you get entry too?
    I want to try get started quick as possible on the morning.

All looks a bit straight forward but just to ask the experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

i keep getting an email to upload my medical form (I will sort it soon)

Do I need a cycling Ireland membership? If so what version is best?

Im not a past participant, first year doing it too but...

I used my CI license and they accepted it.

Im really really looking forward to this day in the saddle :)

Any excuse to buy a new bike ;)
    Hows the training going Chumpski?

Quite well.

I did the Etape in 2015. I started training for that in March. Very late! I was going well for July, but not good enough. I regretted not being more prepared as i would have enjoyed the day much more. I totally underestimated how hard it would be. Col du Glandon is an absolute monster.

This time, my aim is to road race all year and my main aims are in that. Im not taking Marmotte lightly, but I just want to enjoy the day and the week overall as a cycling holiday. I started winter training back in October and ive logged alot of hours with a structured training plan, plus 1 long Z2 spin a week to balance endurance.

From mid May, ill combine racing and longer rides to prepare for Marmotte. I think that should work well.

EDIT:
    How is yours going Noble?

Yeah going grand the training is easier than trying to lose the few kg,
    I am working on consistency as in 3 spins a week two short (50k 700m ish) during the week and a long spin at the weekend.
    Filling in the gaps then with strength and conditioning, hill running, MTB and adventure racing (until April),
    Narrowly ahead of the lads who just road bike in the group but I've just done Gaelforce Dublin (I've to be very careful how I word that they are known lurkers in here :) not to mention a few oulwans who watch for grammar)
    Looking at a few sportives WW200, Mick Byrne, Orwell Randonee and the likes for May/June..

Hey, question for past La Marmotte entrants.

I registered for La Marmotte with my cycling ireland license which was an A4 license at the time. Now i have been upgraded to A3 and my license number has changed.

La Marmotte approved my entry ages ago and my registration letter refers to my old A4 license. It also has a UCI ID.

There is no way i can see to update the entry to use the new A3 license. Should I try to update it or does it matter that my current license does not match?

Im thinking its doubtful this will be a problem and I could just hang onto my A4 license card for a while just in case and present that on the day (if asked).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _waldo_

Hi Chumpski,
    You could email them to change it. I found them to be responsive via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hey, question for past La Marmotte entrants.

I registered for La Marmotte with my cycling ireland license which was an A4 license at the time. Now i have been upgraded to A3 and my license number has changed.

La Marmotte approved my entry ages ago and my registration letter refers to my old A4 license. It also has a UCI ID.

There is no way i can see to update the entry to use the new A3 license. Should I try to update it or does it matter that my current license does not match?

Im thinking its doubtful this will be a problem and I could just hang onto my A4 license card for a while just in case and present that on the day (if asked).
    chances are you wont even be asked to show your licence . i have 4 done and neither myself nor any of the group were asked to produce licence on the day , just proof of entry email . Have also done another event a few times organised by same people and never been asked . If you have a licence you don't need medical form

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

chances are you wont even be asked to show your licence . i have 4 done and neither myself nor any of the group were asked to produce licence on the day , just proof of entry email . Have also done another event a few times organised by same people and never been asked . If you have a licence you don't need medical form

+1... 3 marmotte for me and never asked for anything other than entry email.

I thought so, ill keep the A4 license on me for a while just in case, thanks guys, hope the training is going well, crunch time now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Chumpski wrote: »
    I thought so, ill keep the A4 license on me for a while just in case, thanks guys, hope the training is going well, crunch time now!
    while its important to be in shape , be prepared to hold back on the early climbs .
    even when racing I was never a strong climber and the first year i went too hard , 85 - 90% on first climbs and thought i was flying until i hit alpe d'huez . 2 and a half hours to get up the f..king thing . went back the following year and climbed at 70- 75%and did the alpe in about 1.20 . Don't ride the hills at anybody else's pace .
    enjoy ... its a fantastic day

Advertisement