Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 8th July 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

while its important to be in shape , be prepared to hold back on the early climbs .
    even when racing I was never a strong climber and the first year i went too hard , 85 - 90% on first climbs and thought i was flying until i hit alpe d'huez . 2 and a half hours to get up the f..king thing . went back the following year and climbed at 70- 75%and did the alpe in about 1.20 . Don't ride the hills at anybody else's pace .
    enjoy ... its a fantastic day

Good advice, yeah for sure, I plan to ride the climbs at 65-70% FTP. I did the Etape a few years ago and made same mistake as you did. :)

I’m a good climber and thought It was grand to ride them at 80-90%. Ha, when I got near the top of Col du Glandon at 12% gradient it wasn’t pretty....

EDIT: likely less than 65% FTP at high altitudes, everything way harder the higher you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Lads,
     You could add a picture of your dog in place of the medical Cert and it would be accepted, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I was onto them myself some time back as i was getting emails on the medical and licence upload..
    You dont need both so emailed them the medical and it completed my registration.
    I also asked out the pens and how they are decided.
    If you haven't done it before they've no record of you/your times so you are automatically given a high number its on your account that you signed into the site on (6000 odd or so)...so i doubt the different licence grade will be considered.
    Hopefully the training is going well for everyone...Only 6 weeks away from last Sunday!!:D:eek::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Kyran7 wrote: »
    Lads,
     You could add a picture of your dog in place of the medical Cert and it would be accepted, just saying.

Hahaha, I've a ridiculously cute dog, so might try that at the Etape!

Kyran7 wrote: »
    Lads,

Could be very interesting in court if it came to that...
    The Mrs finding a picture of her dog as a medical cert..after she sold the bikes for how much you told her they cost... :D:D
    Theres a funny meme somewhere im sure..

• Advertisement

To finish under 8 hours 39 minutes for gold chaps from past participants any advice??

Oh and clothes wise bring everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

To finish under 8 hours 39 minutes for gold chaps from past participants any advice??

Oh and clothes wise bring everything?

You'll lose a lot of time if you stop at the food stops. if you must stop, bear this in mind and don't hang around too long.
    the first stop at teh top of the Glandon is usually mental, so i suggest you bring some food with you and skip this stop. Just bear in mid the next food stop is not until Valloire, which is at the 100k point (there is a water stop at the base of the Telegraph)

The Water stop at the top of the Galibier can also be very busy, so again, don't hang around..another option is to buy some water from the shop at the Pantani monument (about 4k from the summit) which is quicker and then just roll over the top of the Galibier and keep going.

when you get the bottom of the alpe, jettison anything you don't need...just have some gels and one water bottle (500ml). There is a water stop at hairpin 5.

How are you at descending? practice it and turn a 52x11 on the descents.

As for what clothes, check the forecast. bring arm warmers and a gillet. if the weather is bad, i suggest you forget going for a good time and just aim to finish the event. enjoy!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You'll lose a lot of time if you stop at the food stops. if you must stop, bear this in mind and don't hang around too long.
    the first stop at teh top of the Glandon is usually mental, so i suggest you bring some food with you and skip this stop. Just bear in mid the next food stop is not until Valloire, which is at the 100k point (there is a water stop at the base of the Telegraph)

The Water stop at the top of the Galibier can also be very busy, so again, don't hang around..another option is to buy some water from the shop at the Pantani monument (about 4k from the summit) which is quicker and then just roll over the top of the Galibier and keep going.

when you get the bottom of the alpe, jettison anything you don't need...just have some gels and one water bottle (500ml). There is a water stop at hairpin 5.

As for what clothes, check the forecast. bring arm warmers and a gillet. if the weather is bad, i suggest you forget going for a good time and just aim to finish the event. enjoy!

Im a first timer, was also planning to skip the one on Glandon too. I think 100k is doable to get to the Valloire food stop considering there will be a water stop in St Micheal at base of telegraph.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Im a first timer, was also planning to skip the one on Glandon too. I think 100k is doable to get to the Valloire food stop considering there will be a water stop in St Micheal at base of telegraph.

Its 100k, with about 2000 meter's of climbing in what could be 28 degree heat! ;) it's tough Bring food.

Oh yeah, i dont doubt it. My water bottles will def be empty when i hit St Micheal!

• Advertisement

Chumpski wrote: »
    Oh yeah, i dont doubt it. My water bottles will def be empty when i hit St Micheal!

When you get to the bottom of the Glandon, sit up and wait for a group of riders to come along and draft along with them until the Telegraph. Its the flattest/windyist part of the route and you need to conserve as much energy as you can. fight the urge to try and make up time by working on the front of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

I'm going to be in alpe d'huez at the time of the marmotte and am thinking of doing it. Is there still places available for the day of the marmotte only or can you book it when your over there does anyone know?!?

Farloo wrote: »
    I'm going to be in alpe d'huez at the time of the marmotte and am thinking of doing it. Is there still places available for the day of the marmotte only or can you book it when your over there does anyone know?!?

Still places on the Marmotte as far as I know...

https://inscription.sportcommunication.info/index.php

Its 100k, with about 2000 meter's of climbing in what could be 28 degree heat! ;) it's tough Bring food.

Id calculated 2200m in the first 37km...I have it scribbled down somewhere (dont hold me to it yet) ...I’ll have to dig it out and mark all these places. Keep the tips coming thanks Lapierre

Has anyone a strava file for it?

No it's 36k from the start line to the summit of the Glandon, so that's about 1600meters climbing. The Telegraph is about 1000meters climbing and then there's a 5k descent to valloire. If the weather forecast is for a hot day, you'll be climbing the Telegraph around mid-day/1pm, so it could be hot. i think there's a water stop at the summit of the Telegraph, but as Valloire is only 5k further, I never stopped there.

Here's the route:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/162512781

The Marmotte is on July 8th this year.

That's only just over two weeks away. At this stage you're as prepared as you can be. If your using your own bike I recommend you give it a good going over now.

Fit new tyres, tubes, brake blocks, brake and gear cables. How old are the batteries in your speed/cadence and heart rate straps? If your unsure, replace them now. You've spent months training so the last thing you want is a mechanical problem on the day itself.

If your staying in Alp D'huez, take it easy cycling down to the start. It can be quite cold at 6am and you'll be freewheeling downhill for 14k. Wear an old tracksuit on the descent. They usually have bins at the start where you can dump this stuff, so you don't have to carry it with you all day.

Any other questions ask away.

That's only just over two weeks away. At this stage you're as prepared as you can be. If your using your own bike I recommend you give it a good going over now.

Fit new tyres, tubes, brake blocks, brake and gear cables. How old are the batteries in your speed/cadence and heart rate straps? If your unsure, replace them now. You've spent months training so the last thing you want is a mechanical problem on the day itself.

If your staying in Alp D'huez, take it easy cycling down to the start. It can be quite cold at 6am and you'll be freewheeling downhill for 14k. Wear an old tracksuit on the descent. They usually have bins at the start where you can dump this stuff, so you don't have to carry it with you all day.

:D Im making a list...and will be back..
    Mine will be more gear and route related..done all the training so tapering after this week.

1st one did you use 3 bottles?
    Changed saddle last week and rear cage doesnt suit the new saddle so might buy another..
    Reduce the stopping for refills was my thinking albeit carrying extra weight I find it helps me go further for longer..

:D Im making a list...and will be back..
    Mine will be more gear and route related..done all the training so tapering after this week.

1st one did you use 3 bottles?
    Changed saddle last week and rear cage doesnt suit the new saddle so might buy another..
    Reduce the stopping for refills was my thinking albeit carrying extra weight I find it helps me go further for longer..

I used two 500ml bottles and refilled as I went. By the time I got to the bottom of the Alpe, I discarded one bottle and anything else I didn't need. I'm not a great climber, so weight was important to me. If your a good climber (and you drink a lot) maybe 3 bottles is the way to go, but it's a personal choice. I'd go with just two as there are plenty of opportunities to refill along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

the last year did it we actually put some 5 ltr bottles of water in the the grass at the top of the glandon the day before, just out sight of the heard . just rolled up next morning and refilled , it avoided the big scrum for water .
    do they still turn off timers at top of glandon , it was like a war zone when they used to leave them on for descent

The last bit is great advice.
    Get those Italia 90 Ireland tracksuits out of the wardrobe!

• Advertisement

the last year did it we actually put some 5 ltr bottles of water in the the grass at the top of the glandon the day before, just out sight of the heard . just rolled up next morning and refilled , it avoided the big scrum for water .
    do they still turn off timers at top of glandon , it was like a war zone when they used to leave them on for descent

Yeah the Glandon descent is timed out...
    I was looking at the option of refuelling and refilling in the time out zone.

Hard to call Lapierre on claiming to be good at anything really having no real mountains to gauge yourself here...
    Im average at climbing steady and slow.
    On descending again here I dont really have any fear but I would know most descents very well....

Hard to call Lapierre on claiming to be good at anything really having no real mountains to gauge yourself here...
    Im average at climbing steady and slow.
    On descending again here I dont really have any fear but I would know most descents very well....

Ah if you can climb well here, a lot of the climbs abroad will feel handier, given the more steady gradient and better surfaces.
    Climbing here is tough, length of climb has little to do with it for me.

terrydel wrote: »
    Ah if you can climb well here, a lot of the climbs abroad will feel handier, given the more steady gradient and better surfaces.
    Climbing here is tough, length of climb has little to do with it for me.

That brings a welcome smile to my face.......

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

On descending again here I dont really have any fear.

Understatement of the year :D

colm18 wrote: »
    Understatement of the year :D

Ha!! :D What goes up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On placing food at top of Glandon, if you are not being supported and have the time, I drove up the Glandon the day before with spare bottles and some real food (sandwiches, biscuits etc) and placed them on a straight part of the descent (think it was about 3k after the top) which meant I didn't have to bother with the stop at the top of Glandon and having some real food does help. If you placed some ice cubes in the bottles and leave them under some leaves they should be ok.

If you don't have the time for that, then bring two bottles with you on the climb. It will be cool enough on the Glandon as its both early in the day and many parts of it are shaded, but you need plenty of fluids. You need to bear in mind that its all about arriving at the base of Alpe as fresh as possible (that a very relative term) so everything to that point should be about that.

Yes you can gain time on other parts, but if you ar cooked at the base of Alpe you are going to struggle and give back everything and more.

Whilst they say the Alpe is not the toughest climb, they mean that in terms of vs the Galibier etc. Alp is a significantly difficult climb on its own, and compound that with the afternoon heat and the fact that you have already cycle 160k just to the base.

The Glandon is itself quite a demanding climb, many tend to forget just how hard it is given that it is early and cool. So regardless of how you feel, stay within yourself and don't get into a group that you struggle to hold. Better to turn down the wick a bit and hold something in reserve.

The initial 15k (I think, maybe a bit shorter) from the start to the base of the Glandon will be fast, no matter what group you are in. I have started in each pen and its amazing how similar the times are to that point. This is mainly flat, open road section so best to sit within a group. If you see faster groups passing jump on. It is very little effort and you can 'save' a good few minutes.

You will then see the road turn to the right and up the switchbacks to the reservoir. Barrage du Verney. This is pretty short, but when I first did it I thought this was the start of the climbing, when in fact there is a good bit more a flattish section after.

You will head down a short descent, across a small bridge and go straight into the climb proper. Be sure to be in the right gear heading into this, the amount of dropped chains you hear is incredible. This starts the grind up the Glandon. Settle in, spin, stay within yourself and enjoy the suffering of those around you!

Don't worry if others go by you with ease. Let them do their own thing. I tried to break the climb into sections so that I could keep a tab of how I was doing. The first section up to Le Rivier D'Allemont. You then descend a bit, quite a bit actually which gives the total climb a lower average grade. Some switchbacks, and then a road across a river (right then left) then straight onto 10%! Again, be aware of this as people seem to get caught in the wrong gears.

Keep her steady, as you reach the higher reservoir you will have a short downhill and then the last uphill section (smile the photographers are around here!). You take the left at the cafe at the top and then across the timing mat which stops the official time and the top of the Glandon.

The descent of the Glandon is not timed for a reason. It is really difficult. I would count myself as a pretty decent descender, but particularly the first few km's are tricky. Its really steep, tight corners, the road is skinny. Its a place to remain on your line, remain calm and don't panic. If you want to put on jackets etc do that before your start as the 1st few k you won't have much opportunity. But relax, take the time to recuperate, get some fluids and food into you on the easier sections of the descent.

Its a tricky descent but really really fun.

As Lapierre said, get into a group on the flattish section between the bottom of the descent and the telegraph. If you didn't already get some food into you and drinks. You cross a number of traintracks on the roads, nothing too bad but just to be aware. I always found this section difficult. Its about 20k, open roads. Its not beautiful scenery. This is the airport lounge, just need to get through it to get to the Telegraph.

Telegraph is a nice climb. Its pretty steady, not big ramps and some nice sweeping corners to get your cadence up. Get into a rhythm. You can break this down to pretty even sections (I did 4x3km) and just aim to maintain your goal time. Certainly the 1st year I did it I felt afterwards that I went too hard on Telegraph. Again, you need to consider what coming up. I never stopped at the top, roll straight through and onto the descent. Through Valloire and the food/drink stop is a few K's outside the village.

Fill the bottles and maybe grad some bites, but don't hang around. The Galibier is waiting and you will need you legs from the off. The section to Plan Lachet always feels like your 'should' be going faster, but it is deceptively steep. Not bad, but its far from flat. As you approach you will see the road turning to the right (there is usually water here) and then onto the real serious stuff. This is the 2nd part of Galibier. It is steep, hard, soul destroying. You will probably question your life choices, maybe even contemplate your parentage and certainly question why you are friends with whatever fecker talked you into this!

But keep telling yourself that once at the top one will have 40k+ of downhill to enjoy (and it really is fun) and you will have conquered one of the great climbs in cycling. I'm not going to give too much detail of this section as that would only open up too way suppressed bad memories. It has taken my many months, and plenty of drinking, to get that nightmare from my mind and I don't want to go back to that place!

There is a food stop at the top, but it is normally wise to at least stop to put on a gilet. Just the change from the heat built up on the climb to the coolness of the descent means that a good idea. If it cold, get off the mountain as quick as possible. If will get warmer the lower you go. The 1st part to Jauteret is fast and technical. After that is opens up a bit more as you move onto larger roads.

There are 2 (I think) uphill sections during the long descent and these can be a bit of a shock as you are so used to descending. Groups will start to form and its a good idea to get into one, if for nothing else that to bring you over the last flat section to the base of Alpe. There is a food and drink section just at the roundabout to turn to the Alpe round.

As Lapierre has said, ditch anything if don't need. refill your bottles, get yourself cooled down. Then get back on your bike and get going.

The 1st 4k of Alpe of the steepest after which there is a water station. It gets slightly easier, but not by much. 10% to 8%!. Keep spinning. Your will be tired. You will be sore. You will probably be hot. But the finish line is up the hill so no other option but to keep going. You will have others around you. Use the corners to change your cadence, change your position. Did I mention it was going to hurt? Well it is. A lot. But keep ticking off the hairpins, keep ticking down the kms to go.

Some tips I have picked up:

Wear suncream. Factor 50. Sweat resistant. Put it on in the pen before you head off.
    Bring old clothes that you can discard before the start. It might be cool in the morning.
    Have a plan. Try to break down the course and have timings for each section. Doesn't need to be a lot, but something to gauge yourself as you go.
    If it is really hot, then you are going to suffer. You simply wont be able to perform as you do at home. But neither is anybody else. Drink lots.
    Stay calm. There are thousands are other cyclist around, of many abilities. Stick to your line, pay attention to what is around you.

Enjoy it. It is an amazing day. The climbs, the descents, the crowds, the cheering, the pain, the struggles. THis is what you have worked so hard for, take it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Excellent advice from Lapierre and Leroy. If I would emphasise one thing, it is stay within yourself at all times. Resist the temptation to fly up the final parts of the Glandon and the Telegraph, and don't kill yourself trying to stay with a fast group. Whatever you gain will be more than lost if your legs, and more importantly your mind, start to weaken on the Galibier or the Alpe.

It's a brilliant day, enjoy it.

Thanks Leroy for time and effort posting will read now...
    Correction thank you All!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 _waldo_

Hi,
    Thanks all for the good advice.

What kind of food is available at the food stops? Gels, bars, sandwiches?

Advertisement