Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 8th July 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There are some gels available I think, but I never used them. I think it is not the type of event to trying out new stuff. You are going to push yourself to the limit, which has effects on digestion etc and taking stuff you haven't tried before is not, IMO, a good idea.

In terms of food, its bananas, oranges, dried fruit, biscuits. Water and juice. If I recall right there is also some small baguettes.

Some jellies as well. So plenty really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

From the organisers email about their partners..

“PowerBar’s expertise in sports nutrition builds on more than 30 years of experience will be present on the village of the Marmotte 2018. You can fill up with energy and make your last purchases for your race.

Moreover PowerBar will offer you free provisionning of arrival with recovery drink in order to take back strengths”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

yes you can buy Powerbar products in the "Village" at the sports centre when you sign on/ collect your welcome pack and yes, when you cross the finishline, they'll hand you a cup of this sweet tasting brown crap! :)

I never saw any energy bars at the food stops in valloire etc. So if your like me and like real food like ham sandwiches.....bring your own.

I'm doing the Etape this year and on the morning of the event, I plan on raiding the breakfast buffet And grabbing some bread, ham and cheese and making my own breakfast roll and I'll bring it with me. For me, there only so many bananas, oranges and biscuits I can eat before I crave real food!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    yes you can buy Powerbar products in the "Village" at the sports centre when you sign on/ collect your welcome pack and yes, when you cross the finishline, they'll hand you a cup of this sweet tasting brown crap! :)
    I take it that wont be sweet tasting Guinness :D

I never saw any energy bars at the food stops in valloire etc. So if your like me and like real food like ham sandwiches.....bring your own.
    Toast them on the way round in the George Forman pocket ;D

I hear you on the real food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 _waldo_

Cheers.
    Will bring the packed lunch so!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Well thats some great advice, thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm doing the Etape this year and on the morning of the event, I plan on raiding the breakfast buffet And grabbing some bread, ham and cheese and making my own breakfast roll and I'll bring it with me. For me, there only so many bananas, oranges and biscuits I can eat before I crave real food!

Doing it myself, and Im exactly liek you, I dont really like sports nutrition at all, much prefer real food, a good sambo (plain), a cake, a mars bar or similar and biscuits and jellies.
    Need to find out actually if porridge is available in my hotel the morning of the event. Wouldnt assume its a guarantee on the continent.
    Where are you staying?

terrydel wrote: »
    Doing it myself, and Im exactly liek you, I dont really like sports nutrition at all, much prefer real food, a good sambo (plain), a cake, a mars bar or similar and biscuits and jellies.
    Need to find out actually if porridge is available in my hotel the morning of the event. Wouldnt assume its a guarantee on the continent.
    Where are you staying?

Bring some porridge with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Where are you staying?

Tesco and most supermarkets have small tubs of Porridge for about 80 cent and you just add hot water and leave it for 3 minutes.
    They are really handy and nice and i'm sure you'll be able to get hot water in the hotel.
    You don't even need a bowl with these, just a plastic spoon and throw it in the bin when finished

• Advertisement

Tyres albeit a personal choice im sure...
    Punctured on Gatorskins last night first in a while so theyre gone!!
    Im looking at Continental GP4000’s2 or the 4 seasons?
    Are the bead a bit easier to work with in a puncture scenario?

On road surfaces I presume we wont encounter tar and feathering/loose gravel in the French alps?

Any of those will be grand. I used Michelin Pro 3 and then 4's. Also used the 4000's.

TBH, the road surfaces are so much better than over here than the difference in that will overtake any tyre choice. Its not that they have no potholes or rough patches, they do, but the surfaces is more rolling friendly (although you don't think so on the climbs!)

Its probably to do with the materials used in construction, I have no knowledge (or if I'm honest interest!) of the area, but it is defo easier.

The roads are open roads, and Alpine roads do suffer from falling roads etc. So there is always the chance of gravel/broken road. But unlikely and you will have plenty of other around so more than likely it will have already been cleared.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Bring some porridge with you!

Thats the plan, only bringing carry-on luggage so hopefully its ok to do so.

Tesco and most supermarkets have small tubs of Porridge for about 80 cent and you just add hot water and leave it for 3 minutes.
    They are really handy and nice and i'm sure you'll be able to get hot water in the hotel.
    You don't even need a bowl with these, just a plastic spoon and throw it in the bin when finished

They will be added to the (ever-increasing) list!

Where are you staying?

Were staying in "Hotel Nova Mamma"..why, you coming around for Breakfast? :)

Most Hotels will put on an early breakfast (5-6am) and it's usually a continental breakfast. some might include some Pasta, but if you want porridge, as Leroy says...bring your own, just to be sure.

Tyres albeit a personal choice im sure...
    Punctured on Gatorskins last night first in a while so theyre gone!!
    Im looking at Continental GP4000’s2 or the 4 seasons?
    Are the bead a bit easier to work with in a puncture scenario?

On road surfaces I presume we wont encounter tar and feathering/loose gravel in the French alps?

I use Conti GR4000 II's (23mm)...I've never had a problem. I can take the tyre off without levers and they go back on quite easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You'd be mad to bring a packed lunch. There's tonnes of food at the stops. They've thousands to feed and they do it every year. It's France for God's sake, they know their snacks.

We’re not suggesting people bring a basket with sandwiches, cheese, a bottle of wine and a flask of tea! I’m simply saying that instead of bringing a few energy bars, I’ll have a small bread roll(s) with some ham/cheese in it. It’ll fit in a jersey pocket along with a banana and a few gels.

IMO, Relying on the food stops and not bringing your own food is bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We’re not suggesting people bring a basket with sandwiches, cheese, a bottle of wine and a flask of tea! I’m simply saying that instead of bringing a few energy bars, I’ll have a small bread roll(s) with some ham/cheese in it. It’ll fit in a jersey pocket along with a banana and a few gels.

IMO, Relying on the food stops and not bringing your own food is bad idea.

I understand yeah, my overriding memories of France are a complete absence of bread rolls with ham and cheese in em.
    :pac:

fat bloke wrote: »
    I understand yeah, my overriding memories of France are a complete absence of bread rolls with ham and cheese in em.
    :pac:

Agreed, their bread is great! thats why im waiting until the morning of the event and i'll take some freshly baked french bread with me! ;)

• Advertisement

Question on gearing.

I have a 34 - 32. Would anybody recommend a 34 - 34 or even 34 - 36 on some of these climbs ?

Id like to spin as much as possible at 70+ rpm, 80-90 if not too steep.

I think i may have trouble with that on some of these climbs with a 34-32.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Did most of the route yesterday, all except huez. Make it as easy as you can for yourself I had 34/32 and found that 65 cadence kinda worked for me but I looked for more gears constantly on the climbs. All you need for the descents are good clothing very cold on the descent from galibier, good brake blocks , and good nerves .
    Best of luck.

moonshadow wrote: »
    Did most of the route yesterday, all except huez. Make it as easy as you can for yourself I had 34/32 and found that 65 cadence kinda worked for me but I looked for more gears constantly on the climbs. All you need for the descents are good clothing very cold on the descent from galibier, good brake blocks , and good nerves .
    Best of luck.

I have the Shimano 105 6800 groupset, might be a good time for an upgrade to the new Ultegra, although I wonder if the rear derailleur I have would support a 34 or 36 ultegra cassette?

I’ll ask in the shop next weekðŸ‘

I love that feeling when you know I’m in my lowest gear but you click anyway in case an extra one materializes :)

Were staying in "Hotel Nova Mamma"..why, you coming around for Breakfast? :)

Most Hotels will put on an early breakfast (5-6am) and it's usually a continental breakfast. some might include some Pasta, but if you want porridge, as Leroy says...bring your own, just to be sure.

Only if they have porridge :D

Was up huez today lovely new surface being laid from the last turn for ye, tbh I was kinda nervous about the hype of this climb but it was by far the easier of the ones we done over the last few days.

On clothing Castelli or RH which would be the better brand same money by the looks of it....
    I didn't think much of Assos branded gear from my last purchase,
    Every 2nd person I see has Castelli on..any recommendations? I see 9 options in bibshorts alone!!
    Personal choice im sure LBS saying RH is better and guess what is the brand they sell :D

On clothing Castelli or RH which would be the better brand same money by the looks of it....
    I didn't think much of Assos branded gear from my last purchase,
    Every 2nd person I see has Castelli on..any recommendations? I see 9 options in bibshorts alone...
    Personal choice im sure LBS saying RH is better and guess what is the brand they sell :D

There are a number of companies who have their stuff made in same factory as Castelli for a fraction of the price.
    Castelli gear is only ok in my opinion and completely overpriced, but beloved of those who want to look 'authentic'. Assos are an even bigger ripoff imho.
    Dont know anything about RH.
    My own personal favourite is Ale (again not cheap but I only buy on sale) but the quality I find is superb.

Had a look at Le Col stuff recently after seeing them advertised on Euro Sport during racing. My wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran away :pac:

Had a look at Le Col stuff recently after seeing them advertised on Euro Sport during racing. My wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran away :pac:

I had a £50 Strava related Le Col voucher recently couldnt give it away...then checked the website and found out why. When I win the lotto maybe.

• Advertisement

Right so, can’t sleep and getting up in an hour or so to drive to Cherbourg .
    What a week....all the iconic climbs , the river in bourg doisan is so refreshing .. reaches just to your shorts / fab recovery .
    Advice for a spin...
    OUILLS
    Mankiller/ scary descent , no coffee stop at the top just a jacks and a water trough .
    Best of luck on the Marmotte guys , hit Galibier and your done.. huez is a tough start but enjoyable .

Advertisement