Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 8th July 2018

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Well done Terrydel it was some day out alright! The Col De Romme nearly killed me!

You, me and about 13000 others!
    I was going really well up til then, I felt tired at top of Glieres but I was moving along nicely. I was thinking I was guaranteed a sub 7 hour finish, but I died going up Romme. Slowest I've ever climbed, it was like a war zone with all the people lying on the side of the road or walking!
    I got to the food stop at the base of Colombiere and had serious notions of quitting but told myself to cop on, and 15 mins there to get my head right and knew I'd only a 7.5km climb and it was over. I went up Colombiere ridiculously slow for fear that a blowup would just finish me off. The descent down was a bloody joy! Ended up with 7h42 which I was more than happy with.
    How'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

terrydel wrote: »
    You, me and about 13000 others!
    I was going really well up til then, I felt tired at top of Glieres but I was moving along nicely. I was thinking I was guaranteed a sub 7 hour finish, but I died going up Romme. Slowest I've ever climbed, it was like a war zone with all the people lying on the side of the road or walking!
    I got to the food stop at the base of Colombiere and had serious notions of quitting but told myself to cop on, and 15 mins there to get my head right and knew I'd only a 7.5km climb and it was over. I went up Colombiere ridiculously slow for fear that a blowup would just finish me off. The descent down was a bloody joy! Ended up with 7h42 which I was more than happy with.
    How'd you get on?

Sounds familiar! :) I Had stop on the Gilieres as i was moving so slowly that i couldn't eat or drink for fear of falling over! so I stopped on what turned out to be the only hairpin that was flat. took a drink and energy bar and set off again. On the Col de Romme again i had to stop, eat/drink and walk for a few minutes before getting back on again. By the time i got to the Colombier i was feeling better and even managed to sprint (for about 10 meters!) for the summit. I just rolled over the top and the last descent was a joy. Official time was 9:40:33, moving time was 8:33.

In short, i seriously underestimated just how steep those climbs are. I passed lots of people walking, riders stopped and vomiting into the ditch and even more riders simply sitting in the shade who appeared to be waiting for the broomwagon. I also witnessed one poor guy lying on the road receiving CPR! He looked in a bad way and i believe he was taken away by air ambulance. A tough,tough day on the bike but glad to have finished it.

Sounds familiar! :) I Had stop on the Gilieres as i was moving so slowly that i couldn't eat or drink for fear of falling over! so I stopped on what turned out to be the only hairpin that was flat. took a drink and energy bar and set off again. On the Col de Romme again i had to stop, eat/drink and walk for a few minutes before getting back on again. By the time i got to the Colombier i was feeling better and even managed to sprint (for about 10 meters!) for the summit. I just rolled over the top and the last descent was a joy. Official time was 9:40:33, moving time was 8:33.

In short, i seriously underestimated just how steep those climbs are. I passed lots of people walking, riders stopped and vomiting into the ditch and even more riders simply sitting in the shade who appeared to be waiting for the broomwagon. I also witnessed one poor guy lying on the road receiving CPR! He looked in a bad way and i believe he was taken away by air ambulance. A tough,tough day on the bike but glad to have finished it.

Well done on finishing mate. I have to say, over the last year I've probably taken climbing for granted as I've got better at it, but this event is the first time I've been really, genuinely proud of my achievement in a long time. I know that I was close to quitting/not being able to finish at one stage, so it meant a lot to me getting over the line.
    Those two middle climbs are probably 3-4% on average steeper than what would typically be the case and it makes a phenomenal different in my opinion. The poor surface and narrowness of Glieres only added to the difficulty. It was a truly savage, brutal day and we should be very proud to have got over the line. Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well done on finishing mate. I have to say, over the last year I've probably taken climbing for granted as I've got better at it, but this event is the first time I've been really, genuinely proud of my achievement in a long time. I know that I was close to quitting/not being able to finish at one stage, so it meant a lot to me getting over the line.
    Those two middle climbs are probably 3-4% on average steeper than what would typically be the case and it makes a phenomenal different in my opinion. The poor surface and narrowness of Glieres only added to the difficulty. It was a truly savage, brutal day and we should be very proud to have got over the line. Well done again!

7:42 is a great time! very impressive. Mind you, the first rider home did it in 5 hours and 15 minutes! I bet he didn't have to queue at the feed stations like the rest of us! :)

7:42 is a great time! very impressive. Mind you, the first rider home did it in 5 hours and 15 minutes! I bet he didn't have to queue at the feed stations like the rest of us! :)

Hahaha. The feed station at the top of glieres where you had to pay had me fuming, even more so when I realised the official one was over the other side of the gravel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

What do you do now! Any ideas?

What do you do now! Any ideas?

Eat everything in sight!

Eat everything in sight!

Did two days of eating and some drinking Terrydel and started to feel guilty!
    Straight back to work Tuesday had to postpone celebrations so no 5am alarm for a Saturday early spin and beer on a Friday night!! iTs been a while :D
    Didnt think id be up to much this week but got out Tuesday and last night
    Ill write up a report of the experience when I get a chance...

Did two days of eating and some drinking Terrydel and started to feel guilty!
    Straight back to work Tuesday had to postpone celebrations so no 5am alarm for a Saturday early spin and beer on a Friday night!! iTs been a while :D
    Didnt think id be up to much this week but got out Tuesday and last night
    Ill write up a report of the experience when I get a chance...

Was straight back to work Tuesday myself mate, but thankfully away with the missus Saturday for two weeks down in Kerry, so only had 4 days to get thru. Plenty of eating has been done! No cycling, it'll be 10 or so days off the bike at least following the Etape, I'll take it to Kerry and will maybe get out Tuesday.
    Not a drinker myself, but went out after the cycle for a burger and beer in Annecy (was over there on my jack jones :) ) and it was one of the best I've ever had! As much as I love cycling, its a really nice feeling not having to get out for 4-5 hours at the weekend. Looking forward now to 50-60kms in Kerry and having a right dig on Molls Gap and the climbs round there!

Was straight back to work Tuesday myself mate, but thankfully away with the missus Saturday for two weeks down in Kerry, so only had 4 days to get thru. Plenty of eating has been done! No cycling, it'll be 10 or so days off the bike at least following the Etape, I'll take it to Kerry and will maybe get out Tuesday.
    Not a drinker myself, but went out after the cycle for a burger and beer in Annecy (was over there on my jack jones :) ) and it was one of the best I've ever had! As much as I love cycling, its a really nice feeling not having to get out for 4-5 hours at the weekend. Looking forward now to 50-60kms in Kerry and having a right dig on Molls Gap and the climbs round there!

The Black valley via gap of Dunloe is a must on the bike lad...Enjoy the break

• Advertisement
Advertisement