Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homelessness: The disgrace that is Varadkar and the Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

but t matters not if Zimbabwe has less or more homeless than us..

Ah yes glad you took the time to compare homelessness statistics between of one of the most developed countries in the world with a sub-saharan African dictatorship:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ach, I wouldn't really see it as shameful, more ill-advised. It was the wrong figure to be focussing on. And in the next sentence he said it should be lowered:
    “That is a good thing in Ireland, that we have a low level of homelessness compared to our peer countries. But what’s better than that is we don’t think that’s good enough, and we want to continue to reduce homelessness in the years ahead,” he said.

I'd question the "continue" though because AFAIK, it's still going up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The thing I don't understand is that the people who say they don't want property taxes or service charges and instead want everything paid for through income tax are often PAYE workers, the people who end up shouldering most of the load in a system heavily reliant on income tax.

Yes, but it is usually increasing someone else's income tax. I also don't see why there is so much emphasis on income tax.

Taxes and subsidies can discourage some activities while encouraging others. Hence we tax cigarettes to stop people using them (theoretically) and subsidise home insulation to encourage less electricity consumption. That being the case, why do we constantly as a society put the bulk of our taxation burden on produtive labour? Is working hard such a bad thing that if you earn over €35,000 a year you have to give away half of what you earn from that point onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Yes, but it is usually increasing someone else's income tax. I also don't see why there is so much emphasis on income tax.

Taxes and subsidies can discourage some activities while encouraging others. Hence we tax cigarettes to stop people using them (theoretically) and subsidise home insulation to encourage less electricity consumption. That being the case, why do we constantly as a society put the bulk of our taxation burden on produtive labour? Is working hard such a bad thing that if you earn over €35,000 a year you have to give away half of what you earn from that point onwards?

Do you not think that our high income tax rates do just that - I'm positive it effects peoples decisioning when they take full time vs. part time work - or take work over social welfare. It even makes me personally not work harder to move up the ladder in my career, why would I to only work harder and longer to see most of it go on tax. Nope ain't doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The thing I don't understand is that the people who say they don't want property taxes or service charges and instead want everything paid for through income tax are often PAYE workers, the people who end up shouldering most of the load in a system heavily reliant on income tax.
    hundreds of thousands of workers pay in virtually nothing in income tax. Im sure they want the people already crippled by it to pay more. Taxing labour on a low income at that rate is insane! We keep on hearing how damaging tax is, on capital gains, the leisure industry etc, keep it down around 12.5%. Bloody lpt at a farcial .18% (yes less than a fifth of a percent)! yet labour, and people can choose if they work in ireland or abroad, if they take overtime, if they take the promotion, if they prefer a bonus or more time off for example) many in these cases at the insane marginal rate will opt for time off, or my girlfriend for example is getting a bonus, she is investing it in company shares, instead of going for the cash, only due to the outrageous rate at which the bonus will be taxed. Labour is flexible, land and housing arent. To tax income at a low rate, at outrageous rates is so ridiculously anti entereprise and employment, it is ridiculous!

Id say at that rate its well past the point of diminishing returns!!!

and I frankly couldnt give a toss about the "what about the low paid" argument, if you are in Dublin and on 35k ish a year, frankly, you are low paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    and I frankly couldnt give a toss about the "what about the low paid" argument, if you are in Dublin and on 35k ish a year, frankly, you are low paid!

Thing is - to get that low paid job you had to work hard in school and college and at the end of it you'll be happy to pay your income taxes but moan about water charges and crap that probably won't effect you. That seems to be the route people are going down - it astounds me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Ah yes glad you took the time to compare homelessness statistics between of one of the most developed countries in the world with a sub-saharan African dictatorship:rolleyes:

Last time I checked, Ireland wasn't sub-saharan.

Varadkar compared outdated stats, with a different measuring mechanism than our own, to our own, to downplay a crisis worse since his predecessor accepted it was a crisis.
    He may as well compared us to Goats.

Varadkar compared outdated stats, with a different measuring mechanism than our own, to our own, to downplay a crisis worse since his predecessor accepted it was a crisis.

No he compared us to our International peers which wouldn't be Goats or Zimbabwe, it would be the OECD countries of which he also provided a report.

You may debate the differing definitions of homelessness all you want but I would imagine not many countries would consider putting people up in hotels as meeting the definition of homeless the way we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No he compared us to our International peers which wouldn't be Goats or Zimbabwe, it would be the OECD countries of which he also provided a report.

You may debate the differing definitions of homelessness all you want but I would imagine not many countries would consider putting people up in hotels as meeting the definition of homeless the way we do.

he used out of date figures. i'd bet that other countries wouldn't be relying on the private sector to deal with all social housing needs like ireland and britain does so that they can funnel hundreds of millions of tax payers money into private hands.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

He took numbers from countries were they count people living with their parents and living with friends as homeless, to Irish figures where we don't include such people. So it was not a like for like comparison. There is no debate. He might as well have compared Irish homeless figures to salmon spawning rates.

As regards people in emergency accommodation, (the increasingly record breaking numbers mind) because they are homeless, we count them as people in emergency accommodation because they are homeless.

You can't fudge the facts regardless of how much misinformation Varadkar spins.

• Advertisement

if they are so concerned about our most vulnerable, like the homeless, maybe the E400,000,000 or so they sent up in smoke on welfare increases, could go towards the homeless situation and social housing etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

According to Peter McVerry, Varadkar compared outdated stats, with a different measuring mechanism than our own, to our own. That doesn't make it fact.

He took numbers from countries were they count people living with their parents and living with friends as homeless, to Irish figures where we don't include such people. So it was not a like for like comparison. There is no debate. He might as well have compared Irish homeless figures to salmon spawning rates.

As regards people in emergency accommodation, (the increasingly record breaking numbers mind) because they are homeless, we count them as people in emergency accommodation because they are homeless.

You can't fudge the facts regardless of how much misinformation Varadkar spins.

You are going on what Peter McVerry has told you not the real truth. McVerry never has a good word to say and we are always facing a disaster. Go back to 2014:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-homeless-industry-also-has-questions-to-answer-30804937.html

"Champion of the homeless Fr Peter McVerry recently said Ireland was facing a "tsunami of homelessness". But the problem does not appear to be new or growing wildly out of control, as he and others seem to suggest."

That was 2014. The homeless are always with us, as the article suggests. If you want a real shocking quotation from the article, here it is:

"It is estimated that the "homeless industry" receives between €100m and €120m from state funding sources."

DIT only got €71m from the State to educate thousands of students and they graduated most of them.

Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown got less than €100m from the state, and treated thousands of patients, curing most of them.

It seems like the success rate for the money spent on the homeless is tiny by comparison, given all the bleating we here.

McVerry has previously said that we have more homeless now than at any time since the Famine. This is another lie, there were over 40,000 in workhouses in 1900. Exaggerate, shout, claim, get another grant, exaggerate, claim, get another grant, spend loads of money and nobody has ever questioned why the problem isn't getting better when the homeless industry is spending €100m a year. Is it all spent on briefing journalists and press releases?

Agreed, but t matters not if Zimbabwe has less or more homeless than us. It's the fact that it has risen year on year. It matters that Varadkar's only input of late it to down play it. The man is an international disgrace to even broach the crisis in that manner. It's worse since the days of Kenny, when it was broadly accepted to be a crisis. Now, worse, years later, Varadkar and his supporters are questioning it? Shameful. The expected young bright thing is playing cover for the conservative comedy of errors that is the Fine Gael party. No integrity and no plan beyond 'looking after our own". A damp squib in the history books, more so than Kenny. At least Kenny was around when things of note took place and he made us laugh.

Do you think there's any actual value in your ranting hyperbole against Varadkar?

Do you have a preferred Taoiseach and govt you'd like to nominate so that they can be given the same gimlet eye of judgement?

Always good to have some cards on the table when all someone wants to do is fling muck at the govt, which is a far handier number than actually getting things done.

blanch152 wrote: »
    According to Peter McVerry, Varadkar compared outdated stats, with a different measuring mechanism than our own, to our own. That doesn't make it fact.

You are going on what Peter McVerry has told you not the real truth. McVerry never has a good word to say and we are always facing a disaster. Go back to 2014:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-homeless-industry-also-has-questions-to-answer-30804937.html

"Champion of the homeless Fr Peter McVerry recently said Ireland was facing a "tsunami of homelessness". But the problem does not appear to be new or growing wildly out of control, as he and others seem to suggest."

That was 2014. The homeless are always with us, as the article suggests. If you want a real shocking quotation from the article, here it is:

"It is estimated that the "homeless industry" receives between €100m and €120m from state funding sources."

DIT only got €71m from the State to educate thousands of students and they graduated most of them.

Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown got less than €100m from the state, and treated thousands of patients, curing most of them.

It seems like the success rate for the money spent on the homeless is tiny by comparison, given all the bleating we here.

McVerry has previously said that we have more homeless now than at any time since the Famine. This is another lie, there were over 40,000 in workhouses in 1900. Exaggerate, shout, claim, get another grant, exaggerate, claim, get another grant, spend loads of money and nobody has ever questioned why the problem isn't getting better when the homeless industry is spending €100m a year. Is it all spent on briefing journalists and press releases?

Do you think there's any actual value in your ranting hyperbole against Varadkar?

Do you have a preferred Taoiseach and govt you'd like to nominate so that they can be given the same gimlet eye of judgement?

Always good to have some cards on the table when all someone wants to do is fling muck at the govt, which is a far handier number than actually getting things done.

deny, deny, deny. sweep it under the carpet, pretend it never happened or doesn't exist, or that it goes away. the fact is, varadkar spun, used out of date figures, and was inaccurate in his statements.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

let me say something here, from a former FG voter, including in the last election. I read articles that we are doing the least on climate change in europe earlier in the indo, that dublin comes 47th worst out of 51 cities in global expats survey

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-ranked-as-one-of-world-s-most-expensive-cities-1.3292814

Idbatterim wrote: »
    let me say something here, from a former FG voter, including in the last election. I read articles that we are doing the least on climate change in europe earlier in the indo, that dublin comes 47th worst out of 51 cities in global expats survey

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-ranked-as-one-of-world-s-most-expensive-cities-1.3292814

Absolutely, we are not doing enough on climate change. Most important issue (after financial issues) and this government is failing on it.

It absolutely does. McVerry explained the fact that Varadkar used figures derived from a different measuring method to our own.
    What do you read as up for debate in that factual reality?

It's a case of flinging the government's muck back at it.
    There is a lot of value in calling out fudged figures on a national crisis, used to downplay a national crisis by the political leader of the country. Most certainly. If some are content to let false narratives be spun to deflect and downplay real serious issues, that's sad and has us with the caliber of politician we have.

Absolutely, we are not doing enough on climate change. Most important issue (after financial issues) and this government is failing on it.

third world transport system in dublin, linked to climate change, doesnt help much either. The housing situation is beyond a scandal and crisis! They are world class talkers, Ill give them full credit for that, about the only thing they arent a joke at... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A big problem with the homeless crises is the number of vested interests, ie charities. How many of them are paying their "Volunteers". This money could be better spent - on the Homeless.
    Then you have the likes of Erica Fleming, who refused to leave hotel accommodation until she got what she wanted.
    One lady made a very good point about the rough sleepers knowing where to go to get food at night. Food often delivered by unregistered and unchecked people.
    Homelessness is an industry in itself. It will always be with us. Screaming for more homes to be built is futile, as there is a process to go through. One that involves people willing to allow developments in their areas.
    Many, if not all rough sleepers don't want to have a roof over their heads. Not if it means taking responsibility for themselves by refraining from drinking or taking drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Putting someone in a hotel means they're no longer homeless?

Not sure about that tbh. My definition would differ.

I reckon someone is no longer homeless when they've a home, maybe Alan Partridge might disagree with me on this one, but a hotel room isn't a home.

A big problem with the homeless crises is the number of vested interests, ie charities. How many of them are paying their "Volunteers". This money could be better spent - on the Homeless.
    Then you have the likes of Erica Fleming, who refused to leave hotel accommodation until she got what she wanted.
    One lady made a very good point about the rough sleepers knowing where to go to get food at night. Food often delivered by unregistered and unchecked people.
    Homelessness is an industry in itself. It will always be with us. Screaming for more homes to be built is futile, as there is a process to go through. One that involves people willing to allow developments in their areas.
    Many, if not all rough sleepers don't want to have a roof over their heads. Not if it means taking responsibility for themselves by refraining from drinking or taking drugs.

When the Taoiseach of the country belongs to the 'NIMBY' gang, these social housing programmes might be further away than ever so.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar's reported opposition to high-rise buildings in his own constituency.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    When the Taoiseach of the country belongs to the 'NIMBY' gang, these social housing programmes might be further away than ever so.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar's reported opposition to high-rise buildings in his own constituency.

against 4 floors in his own constituency, I am sure he's all for 40 floors in the docklands though, given how "liberal and progressive" he is :rolleyes:

Grand, or;

A big problem with the homeless crises is the number of vested interests, ie Fine Gael. How many of them are paying their "landlords/Hotels/B&B's". This money could be better spent - on the public by helping to provide affordable accommodation owned by the state.
    Then you have the likes of Jack Watson, who died sleeping outside a shop.
    Homelessness is an industry in itself. It will always be with us. Screaming for more homes to be built is futile, as there is money to be made by landlords/hotels and B&B's keeping things as is.

This idea that the homeless are a subspecies within our society is outdated and very lord of the manor. Like everyone, some had bad luck, some are alcoholics, some are junkies. This takes nothing away from the situation. The fact that the numbers change should prove to you that people become homeless they don't leave the womb for the street, (some probably do actually). The fact that the numbers rise in tandem with the ongoing policies of Fine Gael should also be telling you something. What the state is doing is presiding over the problem as it gets worse. This isn't a natural state for so many people.
    Ah sure we'll always have homeless, what socks has Leo on today?

It absolutely does. McVerry explained the fact that Varadkar used figures derived from a different measuring method to our own.
    What do you read as up for debate in that factual reality?

It's a case of flinging the government's muck back at it.
    There is a lot of value in calling out fudged figures on a national crisis, used to downplay a national crisis by the political leader of the country. Most certainly. If some are content to let false narratives be spun to deflect and downplay real serious issues, that's sad and has us with the caliber of politician we have.

Sorry there boss I missed your nom for govt

We all know you have one let's hear it

• Advertisement

This is a classic deflection tactic.

When a crisis is being discussed, wheel out the "name a better alternative govt" line.

How's about just demanding better from the govt already there?

Did I read somewhere that the state is currently throwing €2m a week to the hotel/b&b and private landlords to try and solve the problem? I'm no quantity surveyor, but that's surely better put towards constructing social housing, than enriching private individuals, No?

Trying to downplay and normailse a homeless epidemic is a new low for the state.

Social housing rather than dead money on hotels/B&B's/rent subsidies, buying from the market etc. I don't care which government, preferably the current.

What's yours?

Grand, or;

A big problem with the homeless crises is the number of vested interests, ie Fine Gael. How many of them are paying their "landlords/Hotels/B&B's". This money could be better spent - on the public by helping to provide affordable accommodation owned by the state.
    Then you have the likes of Jack Watson, who died sleeping outside a shop.
    Homelessness is an industry in itself. It will always be with us. Screaming for more homes to be built is futile, as there is money to be made by landlords/hotels and B&B's keeping things as is.

Do you honestly think having a home would have made any difference to Jack Watson? His issues were very complex and building or buying a house for him wouldn't have been the solution.

Do you honestly think having a home would have made any difference to Jack Watson? His issues were very complex and building or buying a house for him wouldn't have been the solution.

Agreed, taking one example from a commonly agreed, very complex issue, just because it suits your narrative is a little disingenuous. Sorry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Agreed, taking one example from a commonly agreed, very complex issue, just because it suits your narrative is a little disingenuous. Sorry.

Mod note:

This is not the place for point scoring or oneupmanship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have to laugh at the suggestions that landlords are fgs pals or some other rabble.

FG have basically made thousands of landlords actually sell up because of all the new rules.

Landlords are pissed at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Have to laugh at the suggestions that landlords are fgs pals or some other rabble.

FG have basically made thousands of landlords actually sell up because of all the new rules.

rarely agree with you but i will on this one, its an absolute mess, and its not gonna improve

if one wishes to rent out their property they must conform to a high standard and abide by the rules. if they don't wish to do any of that then they don't get to rent their property.
    the private rental market and the hotel and hostel market has benefeted hugely from tax payer support in the form of subsidies to house social tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Consonata

People may dislike the fact that homelessness exists, but when viewed comparatively we're no worse than any other nations. Nobody on the "society" side seems to be aware of the fact that building massive amounts of social housing isn't going to solve homelessness in the slightest.

Its disingenous to compare statistics on homeless as different countries have hugely varied definitions on what it is to be homeless.

Take Japan for example. Statistically, it is stated by their government that they have low levels of homelessness, however many in japan do not own a home and instead book into internet Cafes and hostels for near nothing and aren't recognised on the homelessness figures.

Varadker knew what he was saying was misleading, and fundamentally dishonest. It was just fodder for his base. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This new homelessness narrative coming from the government spin doctors is a nasty turn of events and I am far from left wing

You'd have to wonder where people get such crazy ideas to be honest.
    One in four TDs is a landlord, the latest Dail register of interests has revealed. Of 158 deputies, 42 (26.5%) have declared themselves as landlords, with Fine Gael having the highest proportion — 18 of its 50 TDs (36%) have an income from renting out property or land.

One-third of Fianna Fail’s 45 TDs are landlords, including Stephen Donnelly, the party’s newest recruit. Only two of Sinn Fein’s 23 TDs have that status, while former environment minister Alan Kelly is the only one of seven Labour TDs to register as such.

source

Not if it means taking responsibility for themselves by refraining from drinking or taking drugs.

Some of these people cannot help themselves, due to a variety of social circumstances such as mental health, addiction etc.

Does the state not have a duty of care to these people?

Consonata wrote:

No they don't. Why would they?! The role of government is to ensure the individual rights of its citizens as written into the constitution.

It's up to society as a whole to look after it's citizen's that may not be as well of as some. We can do that how we have been doing that for years through private and voluntary charity.

It is not the role of the state to provide that.

Consonata wrote: »
    Some of these people cannot help themselves, due to a variety of social circumstances such as mental health, addiction etc.

I agree that they are victims of circumstance but the Government cannot be blamed totally. One now deceased homeless person went through a couple of properties before dying on the street. He’d gotten help from all quarters but it was all in vain. One can lead a horse to water....

No they don't. Why would they?! The role of government is to ensure the individual rights of its citizens as written into the constitution.

It's up to society as a whole to look after it's citizen's that may not be as well of as some. We can do that how we have been doing that for years through private and voluntary charity.

It is not the role of the state to provide that.

it is the job of the state to provide that. private and voluntary charity is not enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The issue of housing will be arguably the biggest domestic issue to beset the nation for the next few years. Supply is the biggest issue here. Also, though is planning. Irish people want lots of houses but don't want high rise, so what do we do?

Varadkar's attitude about those worse off is unbecoming of a national leader.
    With Welfare, we saw him concentrate on fraud, with homelessness we see him use bad data to downplay the crisis.
    Then we have apologists within his own party and in daily life vetting and judging people like they may or may not be less worthy of concern based on their bad luck or illness. It's all very despicable.
    Yes we'll always have a homeless element, but presiding over many years as it gets worse, likely heavily linked to your own policies, to come along and down play it with spin, is a disgrace. Based on the government policy of using tax payer money for hostels/hotels/B&B's and rent subsidies as a quick costly fix, shows an inability or unwillingness to manage the states finances in that regard.
    Varadkar and all levels of government have a duty not to add to or dismiss the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

With Welfare, we saw him concentrate on fraud, with homelessness we see him use bad data to downplay the crisis.
    Then we have apologists within his own party and in daily life vetting and judging people like they may or may not be less worthy of concern based on their bad luck or illness. It's all very despicable.
    Yes we'll always have a homeless element, but presiding over many years as it gets worse, likely heavily linked to your own policies, to come along and down play it with spin, is a disgrace. Based on the government policy of using tax payer money for hostels/hotels/B&B's and rent subsidies as a quick costly fix, shows an inability or unwillingness to manage the states finances in that regard.
    Varadkar and all levels of government have a duty not to add to or dismiss the problem.

For the tenth time, I think we get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Consonata wrote: »

If we say it does, then the usual neo liberal suspects start whinging about the 'nanny state'.

Would you rather they were left to themselves and not housed in B & Bs, hotels and the new hubs? The Government are doing something. They are taking people off the streets if they want. What type of home should be provided for a homeless person? A one, two or three bedroom house? An apartment? Where are these to be built? In the back end of beyond? In O’Connell Street?

MayoSalmon wrote:

So why bother build roads, hospitals, schools, improving the quality of life in the state?

Is the governments exclusive function to police the individual rights of people, and aside from that theyre on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

This new homelessness narrative coming from the government spin doctors is a nasty turn of events and I am far from left wing

Real bang of the master race off FG at the moment tbh.

Consonata wrote:
    So why bother build roads, hospitals, schools, improving the quality of life in the state?

Can all be provided by private enterprise but to be honest not interesting in getting into that debate.

Merely responding to the point that many people look to the government to solve a myriad of issues and problem that they are not responsible for.

The government cannot and do not have any ability to create wealth, they merely take the peoples wealth sometimes 50% of it and spend it as they see fit.

Would you rather they were left to themselves and not housed in B & Bs, hotels and the new hubs? The Government are doing something. They are taking people off the streets if they want. What type of home should be provided for a homeless person? A one, two or three bedroom house? An apartment? Where are these to be built? In the back end of beyond? In O’Connell Street?

it is not sustainible or cost effective to house people in hotels, b&bs or hostels, or rely on the private rental market to meet all accommodation needs. i'm aware it's not as simple as throw up houses but we have to make a start. families are living in 1 room of a hotel or b&b, that is not justifiable in modern ireland, we were supposed to have eradicated that issue with the tenaments. there is also a potential for an issue in terms of public health for those living in those hotels.
    Can all be provided by private enterprise but to be honest not interesting in getting into that debate.

anything can be provided by private enterprise. however, it won't be as it's not profitible, without an absolutely ridiculous cost to the user. so yes, it's not worth getting into a debate for as there is nothing to debate. the government have to provide services to keep the services availible to all to insure the health and wellbeing of the nation, which in turn means a healthy and fit nation, who can contribute.

• Advertisement

anything can be provided by private enterprise. however, it won't be as it's not profitible, without an absolutely ridiculous cost to the user

Look your just trolling now frankly. If states can provide services cheaper wonder why Bus Eireann, Irish Rail and Aer Lingus struggled so badly under there management. Wonder why RTE is looking for more license money why the water system is crumbling, the list goes on..theres a common denominator there but sure theres no debate to be had.

Advertisement