Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing In Private Lakes Ireland.

• 13-11-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

So Question for you all..... If you could only have 5 flies to cover you in Irelands Private Lakes fishing for Trout.... what flies would you use / take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd bring 5 of The Blackbirds Fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

So Question for you all..... If you could only have 5 flies to cover you in Irelands Private Lakes fishing for Trout.... what flies would you use / take?

By private lakes do you mean stocky bashing lakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

That's exactly what I mean ;) just wondering what 5 flies would people take if they could only have 5.... for all of Ireland.... tough one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's exactly what I mean ;) just wondering what 5 flies would people take if they could only have 5.... for all of Ireland.... tough one....

It's not that tough really. I gave up going near stocked lakes, as the fish would take just about anything - I found no sport in that.

It's not that tough really. I gave up going near stocked lakes, as the fish would take just about anything - I found no sport in that.
    So what do you do during the winter? what are your 5 go-to flies for Rainbows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

So what do you do during the winter?

dream about 1st March...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So what do you do during the winter?

Fish for Cod and Pike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So what do you do during the winter? what are your 5 go-to flies for Rainbows?

I fish other species and prepare for Brown Trout season.

So Anybody willing to stay on point here? If you could only have 5 flies to cover you in Irelands Private Lakes fishing for Trout.... what flies would you use / take?

So Anybody willing to stay on point here? If you could only have 5 flies to cover you in Irelands Private Lakes fishing for Trout.... what flies would you use / take?

• Advertisement

What lakes are you on about - If they are private I wouldnt know what flies to be using as I wouldnt be allowed on the lakes!

Anyway - what time of year is it?

Sunny or overcast - What depth is the lake?

Is this going how you planned??

Private Paid fisheries. Its going perfect how about for you?

Private Paid fisheries. Its going perfect how about for you?

Getting better :D

Any clues as to which ones? It really does depend on region! Some of the lads out west will swear by some, the east will not fail others.

Someone said to me the other day perdigons are murdering everyrthing in every lake at present - You'd have to have a mayfly in the kit - An aul olive - Something black and something size 36 for when your been driven mad :D

I dunno anyway - Im off out for a perch now!

Did you not see the first response?

I did see your first post, personally I wouldn't have 5 of the same flies but mabe that's just me 

I did see your first post, personally I wouldn't have 5 of the same flies but mabe that's just me 

Well as we are personally speaking, I'd be ashamed of my life if I had to ask anyone for advice on what to use to catch stockies.

But maybe that's just me.

Lol good to see you know me so well to read my msg in the context you portray.

Lol good to see you know me so well to read my msg in the context you portray.

I don't know you at all, or need to know you.

All I need to remember, is that if at anytime in the future, I am ever restricted to five flies while trying to catch Rainbow trout and find myself in the unlikely situation of not knowing which flies to use in an attempt to fool this not so elusive quarry, I should perhaps read this thread or take up a different sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

A blob, a Bloody Butcher, Hares ear, March brown and a lure type fly would be my choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Jesus lads if you dont fish for rainbows then fair enough but no need for the sarky responses surely?

Plenty of people fish for bows (I dont) but there is hardly a need for all the superior attitude posts. Each to his own.

No wonder there is very little genuine content on this board when someone looking to start a thread gets this sort of response.

• Advertisement

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Jesus lads if you dont fish for rainbows then fair enough but no need for the sarky responses surely?

Plenty of people fish for bows (I dont) but there is hardly a need for all the superior attitude posts. Each to his own.

No wonder there is very little genuine content on this board when someone looking to start a thread gets this sort of response.

In fairness your right - I apologize, i was in a humour :D Far to many threads go this way - if you were a junior angler we'd all be here wondering why no kids are taking up the sport! Give us another chance we'l be nice!!

Anyway - Ive caught 1 bow in my time - on a fly made from a mop :D
    I'm no good to talk to about lakes. i'd say if your looking for a pattern with the flies though i dont think you'l get one, every area is different. Why the interest if you dont fish for them yourself? What fishing are you into?

Bows?

Is this a new name now?

I'm not trying to be facetious by the way in case you think I am.

Bows?

Is this a new name now?

I'm not trying to be facetious by the way in case you think I am.

You know its short for rainbows. This will be the last time I ever reply to you. Would you not better off on After Hours or something. Your kind of posts would be more suited there.

ardinn wrote: »
    In fairness your right - I apologize, i was in a humour :D Far to many threads go this way - if you were a junior angler we'd all be here wondering why no kids are taking up the sport! Give us another chance we'l be nice!!

Anyway - Ive caught 1 bow in my time - on a fly made from a mop :D
    I'm no good to talk to about lakes. i'd say if your looking for a pattern with the flies though i dont think you'l get one, every area is different. Why the interest if you dont fish for them yourself? What fishing are you into?

My interest was more in the way the thread was heading which I didnt think was fair to the OP. I have caught a few rainbows over the years but dont really target them. Went through a phase of catching a few on our club river a while back. escapees from a local stocked fishery I think (that got flooded).

I was brought up on salmon and trout as thats what my father fished for. Not catching many salmon nearly put me off the sport but trout fishing got me interested. Began fly fishing when I was about 10 but dont do too much of it anymore. In my teen years I mainly specimen fished for coarse and sea fish. Carp, tench, catfish, pike, wrasse, anything I could get really.

Currently I fish very little due to having young kids but when I do I am happy to fish for most things. Sea, coarse, game. I would class my favourite fish as wrasse, pike, trout, perch and maybe tench.

You know its short for rainbows. This will be the last time I ever reply to you. Would you not better off on After Hours or something. Your kind of posts would be more suited there.

Says the lad complaining of posters having a superior attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

All jokeing aside i have caught wild brown trout between 4 and 9 lb on sheelin loads of them over the years but stockey rainbows of the same weight will out fight the wild browns any day,but are not as hard to fool.

blackpearl wrote: »
    All jokeing aside i have caught wild brown trout between 4 and 9 lb on sheelin loads of them over the years but stockey rainbows of the same weight will out fight the wild browns any day,but are not as hard to fool.

I have no doubt you are telling the truth blackpearl, I've never fished Sheelin and I very, very rarely land brown trout over 2lb never mind 4lb.

From my own experience of trout fishing which would be about 90% river fishing, (The Laune, The Sullane, The Lee, The Suir, The Maigue and their tributaries) any brown trout I've encountered would be far superior sport to stockies, pound for pound there is no comparison.

I fish small and big lakes for brownies as well.

Maybe the stockies you've encountered come from a different farm than the ones I've caught, all the stockies I catch are in Munster and as far as I know they are all supplied by the same fish farmer.

Maybe the one's you catch have been mostly over wintered fish, I've caught a few of those over the years and they gave a good account but nowhere near the fight a wild brown trout of the same weight would give.

It could be that the brownies in Sheelin between 4lb and 9lb are past their peak, that has nearly always been the case with any stockie I caught and was reflected in the fight.

Sorry Biomech I thought you were the OP :D

blackpearl wrote: »

I caught an escapee rainbow on the Liffey. 7lbs but fought like a demon. I was brown trout fishing but was sure it was a big salmon. When I saw the big magenta flank come into view I was f**king gutted. Fought every inch as hard as a salmon of the same size would have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Op to answer your question, for stockie rainbows buzzers would be the best most consistent approach fished in various ways i.e static, swung, sink and draw, twiddled etc.
    As to fight capability I’ve fished for rainbows and wild brownies in approx equal measures for 20 years or more and I’m in no doubt all variables concidered that rainbows fight harder. Blues if you’ve ever been fortunate enough to fish for them fight on a whole higher level again despite being the same species as rainbows. I know that doesn’t make much sense but it’s a fact!

Advertisement