Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark 15/11/2017 - Various

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭

https://www.runinthedark.org/

Anyone done this before?

Thinking of giving the one in Limerick a go....wasn't really on my radar at all but heard an interview with Mark Pollock last week which kind of inspired me.

I won't be racing as such...will be a tempo session I think if all goes to plan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

I've going to take a jog around Cork on Wed evening. It's only ten mins walk from where I live so way too convenient to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭brevity

I've signed up for the 10k run in Cork. Ive never done anything like this before but I'm really looking forward to it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cartman78 wrote: »
    https://www.runinthedark.org/

Anyone done this before?

Thinking of giving the one in Limerick a go....wasn't really on my radar at all but heard an interview with Mark Pollock last week which kind of inspired me.

I won't be racing as such...will be a tempo session I think if all goes to plan.

I think I've successfully registered for the 10k at UL. I got the confirmation email at least. What distance/time are you aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think I've successfully registered for the 10k at UL. I got the confirmation email at least. What distance/time are you aiming for?

Doing the 10K - will be aiming for something like a 42:30 tempo run if the course is ok.

I'm guessing some of the river bank sections will be in the dark (:confused:)...haven't been down that way in a while. My old head lamp went kaput last week and the one I've ordered hasn't arrived yet so could be an interesting night ahead.

Hopefully there's a good turnout anyway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I registered for it last night, and only then did I spot that registration was supposed to close at 18:00 sharp. :pac:

I'll be aiming for about 52:00 anyway. Maybe a little slower with the narrow path and the dark.

• Advertisement

Doing the 10K - will be aiming for something like a 42:30 tempo run if the course is ok.

I'm guessing some of the river bank sections will be in the dark (:confused:)...haven't been down that way in a while. My old head lamp went kaput last week and the one I've ordered hasn't arrived yet so could be an interesting night ahead.

Hopefully there's a good turnout anyway

2.5k registered for the Cork event going by the email I just got. Weather looks like it's going to be ok so should be a good nights. All of the route here is on city street so well lit although fully expect to have to walk at times cause of congestion.

This was my first 10k event so I have nothing to really compare it to but I really enjoyed it.

Everything was laid out quite well, there were marshals dotted around the place giving clear directions. Good Garda presence too.

I didn't find too much issue with the narrow sections, maybe at the start but once the field thinned out I didn't encounter much issue with the crowds.

I was aiming for under an hour and did it in 57 mins so happy enough with that.

Think if caught the running bug though, I'm already looking for the next event.

brevity wrote: »
    Think if caught the running bug though, I'm already looking for the next event.

Well done! Best of luck with your next one. :)

The Limerick event didn't go exactly according to plan. It was very well marshalled, and I was impressed with the registration/pack collection area. The course had to be changed though, due to the amount of traffic around UL. The 10k run was only a few metres over 9km in the end. Still a lovely night for a run, and a great atmosphere.

It was very congested at the start. I'd been hoping to maintain a 5:20 pace, but I did the first ten minutes at 6:15 pace. Had a bit more space to start over-taking people then. Eventually managed to do the 9k in 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Enjoyed that - full race report here

Great to see the decent turnout in Limerick - can't believe I didn't know the river bank was fully lit now....will be handy for longer runs in the coming weeks hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

. It was very well marshalled, and I was impressed with the registration/pack collection area.

I marshall with the Limerick Tri Club frequently and have to admit they consistently run excellent events!

I did run in the dark while living in Dublin and really enjoyed the novelty of running through the city centre streets at night. It's disappointing to see another 'Limerick' event being held out in UL. Between Park Run, Limerick Sports Partnership and other running events, UL is just totally saturated with runs and there is no novelty to running out there anymore for me. Is the Great Limerick run the only run that actually takes place in Limerick city centre? i can't think of any others? It would be great to see this actually in the city next year!

• Advertisement

Enjoyed that - full race report here

Great to see the decent turnout in Limerick - can't believe I didn't know the river bank was fully lit now....will be handy for longer runs in the coming weeks hopefully.

Glad it went well. Life was a bit easier in Cork as the roads in the city centre were cordoned off where people were running, bit of congestion as you'd expect with ~1700 taking part.

I was doing something similar to yourself and aiming for ~42:30 but ended up a bit faster mainly as I followed people as they opened up gaps. But then the Cork route is clearly a fast course as I noticed in the results from last year that both the women's & men's 10k world records were broken on the same route :)

433615.png

Just imagine the perfomances the first two could do on a track instead of wet, slippery roads with lots of sharp corners & 100's of people walking to get past!

panda100 wrote: »
    It's disappointing to see another 'Limerick' event being held out in UL. Between Park Run, Limerick Sports Partnership and other running events, UL is just totally saturated with runs and there is no novelty to running out there anymore for me. Is the Great Limerick run the only run that actually takes place in Limerick city centre? i can't think of any others?

St. Michael's Rowing Club Urban Run is the only one I can think of. Mungret St. Paul's 10k does Mungret/Raheen/Dooradoyle, and the Stephen's Day and New Year's Day runs on the Old Cratloe Road and Caherdavin are good too (I think the Country Club AC organise those but I may be wrong).

opus wrote: »
    Glad it went well. Life was a bit easier in Cork as the roads in the city centre were cordoned off where people were running, bit of congestion as you'd expect with ~1700 taking part.

I was doing something similar to yourself and aiming for ~42:30 but ended up a bit faster mainly as I followed people as they opened up gaps. But then the Cork route is clearly a fast course as I noticed in the results from last year that both the women's & men's 10k world records were broken on the same route :)

433615.png

Just imagine the perfomances the first two could do on a track instead of wet, slippery roads with lots of sharp corners & 100's of people walking to get past!

The cork one might have a new women's world record

https://www.sportsplits.com/home/quickresults?clientId=74&raceId=350&culture=en-US

opus wrote: »

433615.png

And based on half the time, the men's European 5k record fell in the middle of a 10k! That's a new pacing strategy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Anyone else do the Dublin event last night...
    Miserable conditions but a great show of runners/walkers,
    Well done to the volunteers who gave up their time...

Advertisement