Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 inch 2TB hard disc drive for DVR

Options
  • 13-11-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I have a Sannce CCTV system on the way which needs a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive. I could not find any online that were specified as being for DVRs. Is it important to get a Surveillance HDD or will any type work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

king2 wrote: »
    I have a Sannce CCTV system on the way which needs a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive. I could not find any online that were specified as being for DVRs. Is it important to get a Surveillance HDD or will any type work?

Yes it is important to get a Surveillance HDD.
    Standard HDD are designed to work in desktops which are designed to be used during the day. Surveillance HDD are designed to be used 24hr a day. Yes both can fail but its designed to do the job in a DVR as opposed to a standard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Something like the Seagate Skyhawk is designed for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

Seagate and western digital have Hard Drives specifically for surveillance but only 3.5 inch. Cannot find any 2.5 inch.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Something like the Seagate Skyhawk is designed for this purpose.

Would a SDD do in a DVR, havent used one but cant find a 2.5 surveillance HDD?

This is not to expensive compared to others.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    This is not to expensive compared to others.

Thats not an ssd though its a sshd, some sort of hybrid....

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/hdd/firecuda/

I think a SSD wouldn't be suitable.

Their major failure mode is too many writes/re-writes. compared to HDD which aren;t affected by this.

So if you are constantly writing data 24/7 I think might be best sticking to a HDD.

Could you not just use a 1tb, it just means it will end up writing over the disk earlier, but 1tb should allow plenty of days recording before it needs to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Are you sure it needs a 2.5 inch HDD? I got a Sannce system last year and it used a 3.5 inch hdd, I would think its unusual for the system to require a 2.5 inch HDD.

I think a SSD wouldn't be suitable.

Their major failure mode is too many writes/re-writes. compared to HDD which aren;t affected by this.

So if you are constantly writing data 24/7 I think might be best sticking to a HDD.

Could you not just use a 1tb, it just means it will end up writing over the disk earlier, but 1tb should allow plenty of days recording before it needs to do this.

It has 4 1920x1080 hd cameras, I think 1TB would only give you 5 to 7 days recording of full hd

derekbro wrote: »
    Are you sure it needs a 2.5 inch HDD? I got a Sannce system last year and it used a 3.5 inch hdd, I would think its unusual for the system to require a 2.5 inch HDD.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANNCE-Full-HD-1080P-4CH-Wireless-NVR-CCTV-Security-System-2-0MP-IP-Camera-1080P-Wifi/32828990655.html

Yup, needs 2.5inch unfortunately

• Advertisement

derekbro wrote: »

This seems right.

If you search for hdds for surveillance, you can't see to get a 2.5" anywhere. They all come up as 3.5"

This seems right.

If you search for hdds for surveillance, you can't see to get a 2.5" anywhere. They all come up as 3.5"

The Western Digital 1TB that Sugarman linked to above seems to be the only one available

sugarman wrote: »
    Wester Digital do, but only in 1TB or smaller. See here.

If you want 2TB, id suggest a 2.5 NAS drive. They are almost identical to surveillance drives, designed to be on and written to 24/7 only theres some small differences in firmware to optimize the tasks.

Have You used NAS drives in DVRs? Is there a greater risk of incompatibility than You might have with a standard drive?

sugarman wrote: »
    I worked in a company that built DVRs and used NAS drives as a cost cutting measure.

They're pretty much the same as Surveillance drives mechanically, designed to run 24/7 & have longer warranties. The only real difference is their firmware to optimise the tasks of each.

The difference between both NAS & Surveillance compared to a "Standard" drive is, mechanically they're just not designed to run 24/7 and more suspect to failure over time. They also usually have shorter warranty.

They're all compatible drives, and you won't find any issues there. Youre just really paying a premium for probable life longevity & longer warranty.

I've know plenty of people who use standard drives just fine. It's even debatable if it's
    cheaper to buy standard drives and then replace them IF they fail. Its really down to you and how you value your data.

Thanks for the info, might just go with a Standard Drive, Do you know where online I might get a 2tb nas 2.5inch? seem to be scarce also

Advertisement