Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to abandoned bikes in dublin

Options
  • 13-11-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

Every few weeks i see a bike locked up with a blue label on it,
    This bike will be taken by dublin city council in 2 weeks ,its considered abandoned .
    Theres usually a broken wheel or one wheel missing at least.
    What happens to those bike,s , are they taken to a landfill or a dump.
    I know the gardai sell off bikes at an auction every year.
    I know when someone moves out of a council flat the council just throws everything
    into a skip .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Probably recycled at scrap yard of an inginius employee rebuilds them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't be surprised if the rediscovery centre in ballymun takes them, it's run in conjunction with DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

The rediscovery centre does some good bike refurbishment it must be said. Pricey, but decent quality.

http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/rediscover-cycling/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that pricey, depending - a friend recently picked up a freshly serviced 21 speed MTB for €90. was in fine nick for the price.
    i picked up a single speed there about six months ago for (i think) €150. that bike would have been same price on adverts, from the quick look i had, but i got a six month warranty with it (not that i expect to have to make use of that, if anything happens it's probably as easy for me to have a go at it myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Irish Times had an article about this a while ago, seems bikes in any sort of ok condition are retained securely for another 4 weeks following removal, and then they go to Rothar: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/council-removes-126-abandoned-bikes-from-dublin-city-centre-1.2845374
    All bicycles that are in reasonable consition are kept in asecure storage for a holding period of four weeks during which time the owners will be able to reclaim them.

A spokeswoman for the council said “after storing the bicycle in our depot for a minimum of 4 weeks they are donated to the Rothar charity if not claimed”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Great to see that they don't go to scrap.
    Rothar is a fantastic organisation and have been hugely supportive of Rebike here in Waterford...
    www.facebook.com/rebikeireland

Advertisement