Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like blindboy, but I agree with you. It's as if we can't dislike anyone famous, if we do it's because they're successful. Some people dislike famous people because they think they're ****, simple as that. For instance, I really dislike Ryan Tubrity. Can't stand the guy. But I like Graham Norton. Surely I would dislike Norton more because he's doing so well for himself. Begrudgery almost doesn't exist, certainly not to the extent some famous irish people make it out.

It's sheer narcissism they think they can sprout away on any hot topic and it might be absolute rubbish and pomposity (as in blindboy) and when people disagree with him or question his rationale he just goes

"ah they all hate me because of my success, begrudging my success is all it is:rolleyes:'.

I'll say one thing.

He's played the Irish public like a fiddle. Jumping from hot topic to another like a frog in heat and immediately seeing himself as a 'voice of the people' or an intellectual and playing simpletons like Ryan Tubridy on the late late. If he had a pair of balls he would ask Blindboy simple logical questions like

'Why would you assume young men need feminism over all other things Blindboy?'.

Tubs hardly do that spineless shallow yoke he is.

So instead he has a unchallenged platform to sprout his nonsense.

And accuses people of begrudging when they point out his gibberish allowing him to go on unchallenged. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

It's sheer narcissism they think they can sprout away on any hot topic and it might be absolute rubbish and pomposity (as in blindboy) and when people disagree with him or question his rationale he just goes

"ah they all hate me because of my success, begrudging my success is all it is:rolleyes:'.

I'll say one thing.

He's played the Irish public like a fiddle. Jumping from hot topic to another like a frog in heat and immediately seeing himself as a 'voice of the people' or an intellectual and playing simpletons like Ryan Tubridy on the late late. If he had a pair of balls he would ask Blindboy simple logical questions like

'Why would you assume young men need feminism over all other things Blindboy?'.

Tubs hardly do that spineless shallow yoke he is.

So instead he has a unchallenged platform to sprout his nonsense.

And accuses people of begrudging when they point out his gibberish allowing him to go on unchallenged. :rolleyes:

You keep putting non-quotes in quotation marks - it's misleading. We get that you don't like him but don't get all het up because others on here are saying they do like him. I don't like Brendan O'Carroll but I have to accept that there's a huge audience for him - he's tapped into something. Not something I want to be part of but then I have the great privilege of not watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think some of his popularity is due to many people moving away from science and experts. We're living in a world now where opinions and wild assertions can be made to sound like facts without evidence to back them up. Take the vaccination debate as an example.

People like Blindboy fill the the vacuum for some and they would rather listen to him than a pyschologist or pyschiatrist (sic).

The internet too is allowing everyone have a bigger platform to air their views, which is both a good and a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think some of his popularity is due to many people moving away from science and experts. We're living in a world now where opinions and wild assertions can be made to sound like facts without evidence to back them up. Take the vaccination debate as an example.

People like Blindboy fill the the vacuum for some and they would rather listen to him than a pyschologist or pyschiatrist (sic).

The internet too is allowing everyone have a bigger platform to air their views, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Dosent he say get help and to ask for it and thats ok.
    Thats a big part of what he says

optogirl wrote: »
    You keep putting non-quotes in quotation marks - it's misleading. We get that you don't like him but don't get all het up because others on here are saying they do like him. I don't like Brendan O'Carroll but I have to accept that there's a huge audience for him - he's tapped into something. Not something I want to be part of but then I have the great privilege of not watching.

Fair enough, but If I want to whinge about him here too I'm entitled to!. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Blindboy seems to piss off the right kind of detestable cunnts (yes, you. Fucck you all) and that's badly fuccking needed in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Dosent he say get help and to ask for it and thats ok.
    Thats a big part of what he says

True but he also says that young men need feminism. That would only end up lowering a young man's self esteem, being told that they are inherently bad people and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

True but he also says that young men need feminism. That would only end up lowering a young man's self esteem, being told that they are inherently bad people and dangerous.

Feminism is a bit if a dirty word. It just invokes eye rolling and images of women looking like fish shouting at white males.
    Its not that at all really.

But anyway. The context it was said in was to accept that women can provide for themselves and arent helpless in life and dont need a man to dig them out of their unhappiness.
    That its ok to not play up to the masculinity and kill yourself of having to provide for a girl and pay for dinner or whatever.

Im sure there is some young chap out there trying to impress a women by playing up to the traditional masculine role of being able to provide.

Thats what i took from that anyway and i agree with that. If a mott expects me to pay for her drinks all night she can jog on but there is lads out there who think they should do that. Same as some women have the opposite take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The people that are most subject to ideologues are not dumb people (because they can't understand what you are saying) and not smart people (because they're usually less exposed to idealogues/can out-think what you are saying) but average intelligence to above average in intelligence people.

Do you mean ideologies?
    Feminism appeals to women who are smartish, but not very smart for example.

Really? Do you have some sort of study that shows this to be true or is this just some randomer on the internet who hates feminists?
    feminism ... is full of dem swiss cheese holes

Are you a scholar of feminism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Are you a scholar of feminism?

Feminist research ist gut research, ja? No biases in feminist research then?

*cough pay gap *cough

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Feminist research ist gut research, ja? No biases in feminist research then?

I know very little about it. I never heard of the subject of this thread except right here in After Hours, must take a bit of energy to seek out and get all rainy-faced about someone who you could easily ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Augeo wrote: »
    If he told the factual truth and didn't hop from homelessness, depression, male suicide etc etc etc depending on what was the populist speel to spout I'd find him more credible.

But he doesn't you see, the bit that you re missing is that just because you interpret someone s actions a particular way doesn't necessarily make it true.

He happens to be left wing and has an opinion I work with similar people. But the only ones who are angry with them are the conservative alt righters, not for having an opinion but for the nature of that opinion.

2 questions for you

1] Do you think he shouldn' t talk about issues he cares about?

2] Do you think people in the public eye should be discouraged from expressing opinions in the way say someone not in the public eye like you or I can rant and rave about whatever we like on here?

OnDraught wrote: »
    I’m aware of their output. I actually quite like their comedy and their songs. I’ve been to see them as well.

A couple of years ago recreational drug use was a big thing for them. I haven’t heard reference of that since then. Same with all the craic around 1916. There are still commemorations and various events happening all the time but these lads have abandoned that cash cow to move on to something else.

They are still posting support for the legalisation of recreational drugs. Do you think they are not doing it enough?

They wrote a documentary about 1916, should they have stayed talking about it do you feel?

Dannyriver wrote: »
    If he told the factual truth and didn't hop from homelessness, depression, male suicide etc etc etc depending on what was the populist speel to spout I'd find him more credible.

But he doesn't you see, the bit that you re missing is that just because you interpret someone s actions a particular way doesn't necessarily make it true.

He happens to be left wing and has an opinion I work with similar people. But the only ones who are angry with them are the conservative alt righters, not for having an opinion but for the nature of that opinion.

2 questions for you

1] Do you think he shouldn' t talk about issues he cares about?

2] Do you think people in the public eye should be discouraged from expressing opinions in the way say someone not in the public eye like you or I can rant and rave about whatever we like on here?

I'm left wing (not alt right, right, centre or fascist) and I think he's talking tripe in an effort to stay edgy and relevant. He is not expert enough to propose definitive solutions ESPECIALLY when these solutions are politically and ideologically motivated.

There's a difference between speaking about issues he cares about and using vulnerable people for personal marketing goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

They are still posting support for the legalisation of recreational drugs. Do you think they are not doing it enough?

They wrote a documentary about 1916, should they have stayed talking about it do you feel?

No I don’t think they are doing enough. If it is a topic they felt strongly about and it hasn’t progressed at all why has it taken a back seat?

The 1916 and War of Independence / Civil War stuff is only getting going. There will be years of it. Again everyone kind of got sick of it by the end of last year.

So now it’s mental health and feminism. It’ll be something else next year and so on. It’s soapboxing and it’s hard to really get excited about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feminism is a bit if a dirty word. It just invokes eye rolling and images of women looking like fish shouting at white males.
    Its not that at all really.
    Oh its not the scary haired nutters with loudhailers, they're the college age(usually US based) types. I care little of them, though they are organised enough in such institutions to effectively shut down any dissent from the Correct Think. A crazy situation in a university. It's the mainstream feminism I have much more concern about and that mainstream pretty much in every single case and talking point boils down to blaming men/patriarchy for all the ills of the world. Try finding an example in the mainstream that doesn't, or find one even slightly critical of women as a group the way they are about men as a group. You will be digging a loooooong time MG. Any critique of individual women is again nearly always blamed on patriarchal influence, so it's still men's fault.
    I know very little about it. I never heard of the subject of this thread except right here in After Hours, must take a bit of energy to seek out and get all rainy-faced about someone who you could easily ignore.
    TBH T, as I've said before I would have happily self described as a feminist back in the day, because I assumed it was about gender equality, as most people did and do. But down the years hearing and reading more on the philosophy I noticed that while it was claiming to be about gender equality, it became very clear that only one gender was under scrutiny and considered "toxic" and it wasn't women. It also became clear that in some areas it sought for women to become preferentially "more equal" as it were. EG in the courts and the law. Where once the suffragettes fought to have women the equal of men for the same crimes, including hanging offences, these days it's more about seeking reduced sentences for women for the same crimes. And this is something that happens in a real practical sense. If you are up before the courts for a crime, it is statistically provable that you will be less likely to get a conviction and if convicted will serve a shorter sentence as a woman than if you were a man. Even the few feminists that acknowledge this as an inequality place the blame on - take one guess - the patriarchy. So it's still men's fault.

This. In a big way. One might argue that humans have had this tendency forever. That in the past people looked at experts, but because expertise was complex and often hard to boil down to the simplistic, they looked to superstition, old wives tales, even spirituality. These days those are much less in play in the west, but one could argue we're living in a time of the superstition of the popular and simplistic and those who promote it(not always for their own ends by the way. I wouldn't see Blindboy like another Deepak Chopra pimping nonsense to line his pockets).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Mental health in Ireland is deteriorating and has been doing so for a long time.

Marketing 101.

A lad makes the bad feelings go away and you hand over your cash, thank you very much sir and the bad feeling goes away. Profit.

Hence the absolute mad increase in mental health, not a stigma articles in recent times.

I think the most interesting thing about the most modern wave of feminism is that it has far more in common characteristically withe the issue of sensibility in the 18th Century than anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensibility

If Jane Austen was alive today, she would have been loving this shìt.

And if I was more of a sociopath, I'd be on the talk show circuit making a big pile of cash for myself.

Also, do these feminist waves develop in this patterns or waves?

If so, then the next step is a sort of prudent, Victorian era, paranoid or having a distaste of sex kind of feminism.

Which might actually be happening as Millenials are having less sex than previous generations.

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH T, as I've said before I would have happily self described as a feminist back in the day, because I assumed it was about gender equality, as most people did and do. But down the years hearing and reading more on the philosophy I noticed that while it was claiming to be about gender equality, it became very clear that only one gender was under scrutiny and considered "toxic" and it wasn't women. It also became clear that in some areas it sought for women to become preferentially "more equal" as it were.

I was talking about LON as the subject of the thread rather than feminism as a whole. I'm sure feminists exist on a spectrum just like people of most political or ideological persuasions. I'd say the bat-**** crazy feminists should be largely ignored. It'd be like a extreme leftist advocating the nationalisation of Apple, better ignored.
    EG in the courts and the law. Where once the suffragettes fought to have women the equal of men for the same crimes, including hanging offences, these days it's more about seeking reduced sentences for women for the same crimes. And this is something that happens in a real practical sense. If you are up before the courts for a crime, it is statistically provable that you will be less likely to get a conviction and if convicted will serve a shorter sentence as a woman than if you were a man. Even the few feminists that acknowledge this as an inequality place the blame on - take one guess - the patriarchy. So it's still men's fault.

You do realise that the judiciary is heavily male-dominated field don't you? So the claim that aberrations in judgements and sentencing are largely men's responsibility does hold water, right?

You do realise that the judiciary is heavily male-dominated field don't you? So the claim that aberrations in judgements and sentencing are largely men's responsibility does hold water, right?

Well it ain't much of a patriarchy if it penalises men and forgives women based on their gender. What would be the purpose of the patriarchy's existence if it gives preferential treatment to women? If feminism truly wished to oppose the boogeyman inequality, wouldn't you see them protest over at least one blatantly lenient sentence?

So is feminism for the patriarchy after all or is it an a la carte type deal? The point is that neither the patriarchy or feminism has these men's best interest at heart but you can't let that get in the way of lazy celebrity virtue-signalling.

Fair enough, but If I want to whinge about him here too I'm entitled to!. :)

Yeah but you're not allowed to attribute how you have decided he is thinking about himself as fact by putting the sentences in quotation marks as was astutely pointed out to you by optigirl. You should google the term projection as used in psychology ...then read this example....'Just because you think he thinks he is the voice of his generation doesn t mean that he thinks it himself' or that he thinks he s super smart...or that he thinks he has all the answers..or any of the other **** that s been projected on to him.

• Advertisement

I'm left wing (not alt right, right, centre or fascist) and I think he's talking tripe in an effort to stay edgy and relevant. He is not expert enough to propose definitive solutions ESPECIALLY when these solutions are politically and ideologically motivated.

There's a difference between speaking about issues he cares about and using vulnerable people for personal marketing goals.

Oh so YOU think when he gives an opinion YOU think he believes he is an expert and that it's more than an opinion but something that he believes to be definitive...plus YOU believe he only speaks out so he can use vulnerable people.

No wonder you re angry with him.

If ever he says that he is an expert or that his opinion is definitive or give me eveidence that he s not just expressing an opinion about things like your left wing self then I promise ill be back here to call him a dick with you.

Righto :)

Righto :)

Sound..to be honest, I figured you d struggle with it :)

Well it ain't much of a patriarchy if it penalises men and forgives women based on their gender.

I don't think it's that black and white although I do acknowledge the inconsistencies in convictions and sentencing when it comes to men and women. How do we solve it? Surely you wouldn't be advocating a 50% quota for women in the judiciary, would ya? :eek:
    What would be the purpose of the patriarchy's existence if it gives preferential treatment to women?

It doesn't generally.
    If feminism truly wished to oppose the boogeyman inequality, wouldn't you see them protest over at least one blatantly lenient sentence?

Is that not an issue for the prosecution?
    The point is that neither the patriarchy or feminism has these men's best interest at heart but you can't let that get in the way of lazy celebrity virtue-signalling.

What men?
    virtue-signalling.

Oh dear, you've used one of those terms that damages its user's credibility.

Oh dear, you've used one of those terms that damages its user's credibility.

Oops. Rookie error on my part :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

panda100 wrote: »
    Have gone off the Rubberbandits in a big way in the last couple of years. I find them to be very hypocritical. Blindboy proposes to be a champion of women's rights/repeal campaign yet they parade women in their underwear and treat women as sex objects in most of their videos/advertising.

They also claim to champion Limerick yet put on these ridiculous accents which neither of them sounds like IRL and think they play up to a very negative, stereotype of what a Limerick person is like.

Also not a fan of their approach to mental health. They very much frame it in a medical way and promote Pieta House a lot and I am very dubious of the approach Pieta House takes to mental health supports.

Do yourself a favor and listen to any of the multitude of interviews/podcasts with Blindboy where he articulates the misconceptions you have just outlined in your post.

I would recommend this one with Scroobius Pip.

https://www.acast.com/distractionpieces/blindboyofrubberbandits-distractionpiecespodcastwithscroobiuspip-89

Aidric wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and listen to any of the multitude of interviews/podcasts with Blindboy where he articulates the misconceptions you have just outlined in your post.

I would recommend this one with Scroobius Pip.

https://www.acast.com/distractionpieces/blindboyofrubberbandits-distractionpiecespodcastwithscroobiuspip-89

Thing is hes a smart guy but very arrogant and interested in his ego which prevents himself from looking at alternative views as his are Gospel to his ego, he even called his book the gospel!.

Case in point. He whinges about religion being taught in schools yet I gurantee ya he wont listen to a drug addict in Limerick who will tell him Jesus helped them massively overcome their addiction. Many many people with mental health problems turn to God, and pray to Jesus they get help. Will he listen to them?. Of course not his gargantuan ego wont allow it.

He hasnt the gumption either to see that a personal relationship with Christ can be obtained without religion. Jesus saves from religion, he in book of Matthew spoke strongly against religion and religious leaders.

Feeling Gods grace can massively help with mental health issues, sadly hes too ignorant to see religion is man made but God isnt!.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thing is hes a smart guy but very arrogant and interested in his ego which prevents himself from looking at alternative views as his are Gospel to his ego, he even called his book the gospel!.

Case in point. He whinges about religion being taught in schools yet I gurantee ya he wont listen to a drug addict in Limerick who will tell him Jesus helped them massively overcome their addiction. Many many people with mental health problems turn to God, and pray to Jesus they get help. Will he listen to them?. Of course not his gargantuan ego wont allow it.

He hasnt the gumption either to see that a personal relationship with Christ can be obtained without religion. Jesus saves from religion, he in book of Matthew spoke strongly against religion and religious leaders.

Feeling Gods grace can massively help with mental health issues, sadly hes too ignorant to see religion is man made but God isnt!.

What in the name of Fuck are you shiteing on about now? :confused:

You've literally just created a whole scenario out of your imagination, based on nothing but your weird prejudices. Go away and do something worthwhile instead of wasting everyone's time posting rubbish here.

I have never ever heard him give out about anyone s belief in God/Allah or whoever anyone wants to believe in ...The only thing I ve ever heard him question is the fact that the Catholic religion is written into our constitution, which is undeniably a fair point and one held by many people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

OnDraught wrote: »
    I’m aware of their output. I actually quite like their comedy and their songs. I’ve been to see them as well.

A couple of years ago recreational drug use was a big thing for them. I haven’t heard reference of that since then. Same with all the craic around 1916. There are still commemorations and various events happening all the time but these lads have abandoned that cash cow to move on to something else.

How dare they evolve from singing about glue sniffing and fingering girls in nightclubs. I'd like to think that we've all matured from the dumb sh!t we were doing ten years ago.

What in the name of Fuck are you shiteing on about now? :confused:

You've literally just created a whole scenario out of your imagination, based on nothing but your weird prejudices. Go away and do something worthwhile instead of wasting everyone's time posting rubbish here.

Haha. Nope based on what he said.
    Ah calm down lad you'll give yourself a stroke or maybe a hernia over a point that is pretty blatantly obvious.

See I have listened to him unlike you.

My refernces are online in video no less.
    Youtube Blindboy boatclub on mental mealth and his passionate plea to Simon Harris.

He moans on religion numerous times. He Hasn't the gumption to see religion and God are two different things. Would his ego allow him to listen to depressed people who state they got better through Gods grace? Of course not.

He also mentions to Simon Harris in that video many psychotherapists use angel reading.

Total lie. Show me one!.

Ah calm down lad you'll give yourself a stroke or maybe a hernia over a point that is pretty blatantly obvious.

Youtube Blindboy boatclub on mental mealth and his passionate plea to Simon Harris.

He moans on religion numerous times. He Hasn't the gumption to see religion and God are two different things. Would his ego allow him to listen to depressed people who state they got better through Gods grace? Of course not.

He also mentions to Simon Harris in that video many psychotherapists use angel reading.

Total lie. Show me one!.

http://www.citynorthhotel.com/en/Counselling%20&%20Healing/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You're literally relying on the notion of miracles now. "God's grace", you say. Marvellous stuff.

Prayer is just another form of meditation, or mindfulness, or whatever name you want to put on it. It just takes the onus off the individual and places it on some mysterious external force, much like the artists and philosophers of old claimed to be inspired by Muses or genius. It helps keeps certain exceptional people modest, and takes the pressure off them when they fail. It's a recognised and effective coping mechanism, no question. The "grace" of some all powerful creator, however, it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

How dare they evolve from singing about glue sniffing and fingering girls in nightclubs. I'd like to think that we've all matured from the dumb sh!t we were doing ten years ago.

He was as talking about this two years ago.

You're literally relying on the notion of miracles now. "God's grace", you say. Marvellous stuff.

Prayer is just another form of meditation, or mindfulness, or whatever name you want to put on it. It just takes the onus off the individual and places it on some mysterious external force, much like the artists and philosophers of old claimed to be inspired by Muses or genius. It helps keeps certain exceptional people modest, and takes the pressure off them when they fail. It's a recognised and effective coping mechanism, no question. The "grace" of some all powerful creator, however, it is not.

You obviously never felt it. I hope you do.Maybe someday. Grace is not a miracle either.

Oh ye of little faith!.

However You are very confused.
    Prayer isnt mindfulness or meditation you are confusing spiritual New Age practices with sacred or holy practices.
    Very very different things.

Many atheists turn believer everyday when they see how flawed atheism is.

Look at two atheist schlors and writers atheist "megastars" if you will Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens get mauled when Dawkins debated John Lennox and Hitchens William Lane Craig.

Understandly Dawkins(whom Im sure you admire) refuses to debate William Lane Craig as he easily rebuked every argument Hitchens had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You obviously never felt it. I hope you do.Maybe someday. Grace is not a miracle either.

Oh ye of little faith!.

Prayer isnt mindfulness or meditation you are confusing spiritual New Age practices with sacred or holy practices.

Look at two atheist schlors and writers atheist "megastars" if you will Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens get mauled when Dawkins debated John Lennox and Hitchens William Lane Craig.

Understandly Dawkins(whom Im sure you admire) refuses to debate William Lane Craig as he easily rebuked every argument Hitchens had.

Thread has reached the point where it needs to be taken out back and put down.

elefant wrote: »
    Thread has reached the point where it needs to be taken out back and put down.

The irony.
    Yet you will still post on it LOL.

Point is Blindboy cant see the difference between organised man made religion and God and Insect Overlord cant see the difference between prayer and meditation.
    Both trying to knock something they have no clue about.

Classic Dunning-Kruger effect in both cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The irony.

Point is Blindboy cant see the difference between organised man made religion and God and Insect Overlord cant see the difference between prayer and meditation.

You know God is a made up character yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Case in point? No it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

God could have a bag on his head too xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The irony.

Where are you pulling this from exactly, because I went through a good many of his YouTube videos last night as you said, including the one referring to Simon Harris, including the interview with Scroobius Pip (whatever his name is), and I couldn't find anything even remotely like what you're claiming. Sure, he takes a pot shot at Catholicism here and there, but that's standard fare for any Irish comedian. It's expected of them, and there was no malice in it.

Hell, even Tommy Tiernan was on the Late Late the other night and I fully expected his usual shtick about Catholicism, I expected him to be screaming his head off as was his usual style of comedy around the time I just gave up giving him an audience (went to see him a couple of years ago in UL, walked out at the interlude because I couldn't understand a word so I just didn't get the comedy), been to see the rubberbandits in Dolans a few times, not really my thing if I'm honest, but it was good last night when I was looking for what you were talking about, to be reminded of when they were funny with the fake phone calls. This was long before the Joe Duffy show. Back to Tommy anyway - there was none of his usual shtick, I could actually understand what he was saying, and he was measured and there was none of the manic shìt, I think Ryan was disappointed as he kept poking and poking for a brief glimpse of the old Tommy to generate a few ripples on social media, but none was forthcoming. Actually 'twas all a bit bland as Tommy came off a bit pious if I'm honest!

Now I've already said I have no great love for blindboy, his style of comedy is just mediocre, I don't get the genius label at all, let alone the subversive art, it's just not very clever or creative at all. However, having said that, I still don't see where you're getting your claims from. I don't particularly care for his waffling on about emotional intelligence, because to me he really does come off like an evangelist who has "seen the light", and his shtick about feminism, capitalism, neoliberalism, etc is exactly the kind of ranting I'd expect from a first year LCAD student, but, I still don't see any evidence of your claims.

All I see is yet another Irish comedian who could have been a contender, but chose to go the way of what's current in social justice circles right now. He admitted as much himself in the Joe Duffy interview when he said "I'm an artist Joe, but I love money". He is a product of the very culture and society he claims to rally against, he's no different to the many who have gone before him, Russell Brand being another prime example, because while he may enjoy the scraps off the table of the real elite socialites for now and think he's finally been accepted as one of them, they find him mildly amusing and useful for their purposes (we're so in touch with the yoof!), and when they tire of his antics too, he will fade back into the obscurity from which he emerged.

Total lie. Show me one!.

Here s an example I pointed it out yesterday are you at least going to acknowledge that what he said has some truth in it and take back the total lie assertion.

Oh ye of little faith!.

It' s lunacy to debate with anyone who can use the get out clause of 'you of little faith'. I used to when I was younger but I ve learned that the 'God card' is the ultimate debate ender because one person is debating about what is real tangible and provable and the other is coming back at you with stuff that is not real tangible and provable and using 'faith and belief and the mystery' as a bargaining point.

In no other realm of life or debate can one person be allowed to use imaginary beings as a basis for a solid argument ever and I mean ever. In fact in real life it would be used as a serious indicator of schizophrenia. Don t get me wrong here as John Lennon says 'whatever gets you through the night' is fine with me and I know for sure that many people have used religion and belief to get them through dark times, bereavement in particular but it's not for everyone and by having it enshrined in our constitution the implication is that it is for everyone.

Religion, in particular the one espoused by the catholic church has been the root of many wasted lives in Ireland where grown men and women were expected to never mature to adulthood in many aspects of their lives most glaringly in the sexual. We as a nation are still carrying the guilt and shame of the rigid strictures that were placed upon the preceding generations by an obsessively controlling church and indeed state on their behalf. That by the way is documented history not made up ****.

Where are you pulling this from exactly, because I went through a good many of his YouTube videos last night as you said, including the one referring to Simon Harris, including the interview with Scroobius Pip (whatever his name is), and I couldn't find anything even remotely like what you're claiming. Sure, he takes a pot shot at Catholicism here and there, but that's standard fare for any Irish comedian. It's expected of them, and there was no malice in it.

Hell, even Tommy Tiernan was on the Late Late the other night and I fully expected his usual shtick about Catholicism, I expected him to be screaming his head off as was his usual style of comedy around the time I just gave up giving him an audience (went to see him a couple of years ago in UL, walked out at the interlude because I couldn't understand a word so I just didn't get the comedy), been to see the rubberbandits in Dolans a few times, not really my thing if I'm honest, but it was good last night when I was looking for what you were talking about, to be reminded of when they were funny with the fake phone calls. This was long before the Joe Duffy show. Back to Tommy anyway - there was none of his usual shtick, I could actually understand what he was saying, and he was measured and there was none of the manic shìt, I think Ryan was disappointed as he kept poking and poking for a brief glimpse of the old Tommy to generate a few ripples on social media, but none was forthcoming. Actually 'twas all a bit bland as Tommy came off a bit pious if I'm honest!

Now I've already said I have no great love for blindboy, his style of comedy is just mediocre, I don't get the genius label at all, let alone the subversive art, it's just not very clever or creative at all. However, having said that, I still don't see where you're getting your claims from. I don't particularly care for his waffling on about emotional intelligence, because to me he really does come off like an evangelist who has "seen the light", and his shtick about feminism, capitalism, neoliberalism, etc is exactly the kind of ranting I'd expect from a first year LCAD student, but, I still don't see any evidence of your claims.

All I see is yet another Irish comedian who could have been a contender, but chose to go the way of what's current in social justice circles right now. He admitted as much himself in the Joe Duffy interview when he said "I'm an artist Joe, but I love money". He is a product of the very culture and society he claims to rally against, he's no different to the many who have gone before him, Russell Brand being another prime example, because while he may enjoy the scraps off the table of the real elite socialites for now and think he's finally been accepted as one of them, they find him mildly amusing and useful for their purposes (we're so in touch with the yoof!), and when they tire of his antics too, he will fade back into the obscurity from which he emerged.

Actually read his book and come back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Many many people with mental health problems turn to God

Ain't that the truth, it might even be a prerequisite .

jonski wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth, it might even be a prerequisite .

Many do and like i said whatever gets you through the night is fine with me, however another way of dealing with mental health issues is to examine the rules and beliefs about yourself and others that you learned as a child which [clearly if you are having mental health issues] aren t working any longer , and that takes the courage to challenge these beliefs and ultimately change them therby finding real meaning in this life rather than peace because of a belief in the after life and the notion that 'God s will will prevail'.

Often religion is what people turn to because the pain of change is too much, many Irish marriages that should have ended in divorce plodded along at the expense of the children as a result of religion as did many lives . Change is difficult and to question deep set beliefs and find out they are no longer working is even harder so like I said if religion can being solace to those that find change difficult all good with me, but not for me if you know what I mean.

Here s an example I pointed it out yesterday are you at least going to acknowledge that what he said has some truth in it and take back the total lie assertion.

Well done medal on its way.
    Surprised to see that to be honest. Still a lie he said many!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Many do and like i said whatever gets you through the night is fine with me, however another way of dealing with mental health issues is to examine the rules and beliefs about yourself and others that you learned as a child which [clearly if you are having mental health issues] aren t working any longer , and that takes the courage to challenge these beliefs and ultimately change them therby finding real meaning in this life rather than peace because of a belief in the after life and the notion that 'God s will will prevail'.

Often religion is what people turn to because the pain of change is too much, many Irish marriages that should have ended in divorce plodded along at the expense of the children as a result of religion as did many lives . Change is difficult and to question deep set beliefs and find out they are no longer working is even harder so like I said if religion can being solace to those that find change difficult all good with me, but not for me if you know what I mean.

I agree wholeheartedly .

I wonder if I had put a ' :D ' after my initial comment would you have read it differently .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Actually read his book and come back to me.

Danny I believe we covered this earlier?

I've read his book, and I read that review. It reads like it was written by Brian Badonde. It's certainly not as creative as The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct: A Sokal-Style Hoax on Gender Studies. I still laugh every time I read their explanation of "manspreading" -

Manspreading — a complaint levied against men for sitting with their legs spread wide — is akin to raping the empty space around him. :pac:

And I'm not the first person to suggest it's not a particularly riveting read either -

Blindboy Boatclub book: A mixed plastic bag of mad ideas

I take it ur not too fond of Blindboy there one eyed jack, sorry to hear you got burnt with his book. sleep well.

It' s lunacy to debate with anyone who can use the get out clause of 'you of little faith'. I used to when I was younger but I ve learned that the 'God card' is the ultimate debate ender because one person is debating about what is real tangible and provable and the other is coming back at you with stuff that is not real tangible and provable and using 'faith and belief and the mystery' as a bargaining point.

In no other realm of life or debate can one person be allowed to use imaginary beings as a basis for a solid argument ever and I mean ever. In fact in real life it would be used as a serious indicator of schizophrenia. Don t get me wrong here as John Lennon says 'whatever gets you through the night' is fine with me and I know for sure that many people have used religion and belief to get them through dark times, bereavement in particular but it's not for everyone and by having it enshrined in our constitution the implication is that it is for everyone.

Religion, in particular the one espoused by the catholic church has been the root of many wasted lives in Ireland where grown men and women were expected to never mature to adulthood in many aspects of their lives most glaringly in the sexual. We as a nation are still carrying the guilt and shame of the rigid strictures that were placed upon the preceding generations by an obsessively controlling church and indeed state on their behalf. That by the way is documented history not made up ****.

What a crazy arrogant post. So the several billion peoe who believe in God are ALL schizophrenic?!? Least diagnosed illness in the World there doc!.

I was atheist til I reached the age of reason.

Again you are confusing man made religion with God as Ive highlighted blindboy doing. Personally cant stand the Catholic Church.

In your post Same old tired tripe then follows.

Catholic Church is bad I dont like em therfore God is bad.
    Its a pathetic argumemt.

Surely surely it cant be that hard to see a difference between non denominational Christianity and the Romam Catholic Church?!?!!?.

I know a 5 year old who sees the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement