Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rathfarnham to enniskerry

Options
  • 13-11-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Used to cycle this a fair bit during the summer at night time (while there was light).....wondering what people think about cycling it now in the dark, albeit with decent lights on the bike......

tried cycling to Stillorgan, down the n11 and back up through Rathgar recently and that was no a fun experience.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good lights then Up-n-Over
    https://goo.gl/maps/1neMXQXkXM62

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Me personally I have no problem cycling at night, it eliminates the biggest problem for cars (they didn't see me) make sure you have a plan b in terms of light backup just incase one fails

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

usually going through stepaside.....must look at that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jrby wrote: »
    usually going through stepaside.....must look at that route.
    Most of that route posted above is on unlit roads with along climb over the Featherbeds and then a long descent from Glencree to Enniskerry. Long descents on unlit roads on dark nights are not particularly appealing especially if it's also wet. I'd be going via Stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Long descents on unlit roads on dark nights are not particularly appealing especially if it's also wet.
    I love the last right hand bend coming into Enniskerry from the road that goes to the right of the petrol station.

It's blind and pitch black, so you have to just steer bravely into the void.

For what seems like several seconds you can see absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    I love the last right hand bend coming into Enniskerry from the road that goes to the right of the petrol station.

It's blind and pitch black, so you have to just steer bravely into the void.

For what seems like several seconds you can see absolutely nothing.

Poggio in the dark!

Eh, I'm mixed on this one. I agree with the above comments that it's easier to cycle in the dark because of blindingly bright LEDs making the "I didn't see him" a redundant excuse.

On the other, the slow expanse of Dublin's suburbs in the direction of Enniskerry means that you get a lot of "hurry-the-fup-up-I-need-to-get-home-to-my-unsupervised-kids" SUVs racing to overtake when they really shouldn't.

My advice: Do it, but try and avoid the rush hour. Post 7pm and it's a lot more enjoyable.

Advertisement