Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was your second birth a lot different to the first?

Options
  • 13-11-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Just curious to get people's stories on this! I'm due my second and a few friends have all said their second was faster. One said it was much easier but others were shell shocked as they had no epidural and just had to go!! I'm a bit worried about getting a babysitter in when I go into labour and getting on to hospital in good time. I'm not far from Holles street, but still worried!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

The woman was into delivery ward about 10pm, baby born about 40 mins later. a LOT easier on her than the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Both my births were very similar. Both fast, the second faster like statistics say so half the time of the first at just under 40 mins.
    I had no time for an epidural on either, fast labours are intense definitely, I haven’t experienced anything different though so while intense for such a short period of time manageable. Gas and air got me through and on both I went in with the tens machine going.

I had the same worries as you after my first only being shy of 1.5hr labour, in fact I remember asking the question here too! I went two weeks over due but went naturally in the end so for a lot of those two weeks #1 stayed with my folks on and off and when she was with us they were “on call”. If we needed to our plan was to pop #1 in the car and have my folks meet us there to pick her up but as it happened she was with them anyway.

After all my worrying I made it to the hospital in time, no giving birth on the steps of Holmes street! I was advised throughout though given the speed of the first not to hesitate to call the fire bridgade on my second if I felt the need, it’s apparently quite common!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Beanybabog for me it was much more painful and faster. Didn’t have epidural etc on my first boy and it was sore don’t get me wrong, exhausting and long! Baby came on due date.

This time the pain was a lot more painful....husband said I nearly broke his arm I was squeezing it so much!!! The midwives in emergency tried to send me home but I told them my consultant said I had to come to hospital straight away. Thank God as I wouldn’t have made it back. Labour lasted 50odd minutes. Consultant made it in to stitch me and check placenta. Again didn’t have epidural etc. Baby came 2 weeks early. I had been getting pains all week......didn’t get them first time around. Thanks
    So next time will be a little worried about making it to hospital!

The afterpain contractions when I was breastfeeding were horrific. Jeekers one time they actually mad me vomit it was so sore! No one warned me about them!!!! Never got them first time round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Definitely knock a couple of hours off, or even halve the time, of your first.7 hours no.1, about five no.2.Pain was more intense but then I was more controlled in my intake of gas and air, and kind of wanted to be more aware of what was going on (don't ask me why).Also on no.1 my waters broke first and my contractions stsrted an hour later as I arrived at the hospital but with no.2 I woke up one night to intense pain, contractions were well-established. So they were different that way.No epidurals on either.I did a LOT of worrying about whether I would get there in time or whether I could get someone to mind no.1 on time.I really wanted to go at night.(turned out that I did, well, dawn).The one thing I will say was that I wasn't waiting til contractions were five mins apart, I decided I was going in.well ahead of that!

And yes, the aftermath!!Breastfeeding in the bed, with toe curling contractions for about two days, they were not nice.I had been warned but still!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve only been born once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

endacl wrote: »
    I’ve only been born once.

I laughed way too much at this 😂😂

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I shall be paying close attention to this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gee_G wrote: »
    I laughed way too much at this ����

On that note, I wonder do born again christians have two belly buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

First was fairly standard 24hrs, had epidural but ended up pushing for well over an hour. Was just about heading for emergency c section when I finally managed to get the little man out, with the help I should add of an extensive episiotomy. The stitching went on for 40 mins so was afraid to ask how many stitches there were but was very uncomfortable for weeks after.

Second was 3 hours start to finish, started getting back pains just after 10am, got ready (had just moved into new house 4 days earlier so had to find bags and I was 37 weeks and it was Xmas day so wasn't really expecting it!!), dropped little man to nannys (where I probably shouldn't have stayed for coffee) arrived at hospital just after 12 and she was born at 1.05.
    No pain relief at all on that one, was very intense but had only 3 bad contractions before she was out, slight tear that needed 2 stitches.
    All in all, looking back second time round was a breeze in comparison to first, especially with regards to recovery after.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

coffeyt wrote: »
    First was fairly standard 24hrs, had epidural but ended up pushing for well over an hour. Was just about heading for emergency c section when I finally managed to get the little man out, with the help I should add of an extensive episiotomy. The stitching went on for 40 mins so was afraid to ask how many stitches there were but was very uncomfortable for weeks after.

Second was 3 hours start to finish, started getting back pains just after 10am, got ready (had just moved into new house 4 days earlier so had to find bags and I was 37 weeks and it was Xmas day so wasn't really expecting it!!), dropped little man to nannys (where I probably shouldn't have stayed for coffee) arrived at hospital just after 12 and she was born at 1.05.
    No pain relief at all on that one, was very intense but had only 3 bad contractions before she was out, slight tear that needed 2 stitches.
    All in all, looking back second time round was a breeze in comparison to first, especially with regards to recovery after.

My two were almost exactly the same. Not as long with the first but got the epidural and pushed for 2 hours and third degree tear.

2nd-had a show and mild cramping in the morning, decided to leave for the hospital around 1pm. Got there at 1.30pm and second daughter born at 2.01pm.

Expecting third and no idea what's ahead of me:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My first was fast and intense (went from 2cm to 10cm in less than two hours), so I’m terrified about the second. We don’t have family nearby to drop our wee boy off with in a hurry either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks all. I'm more worried about this one than the first! Ignorance is bliss I suppose. I'm hoping it's not too fast that I can get epidural again, on the other hand, part of the reason I couldn't cope was the whole thing felt long I was exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My 1st was induced at 14 days, had 2 lots of gels and oxytocin and he arrived 2 days later.

On second, waters went at 9am 8 days over, no contractions until evening and then they stopped, was put oxytocin next morning and had her at 5 pm day after. So shorter but still long. Epidural needed both times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Was kind of hoping you'd all say the first was horrendous, the second you sneezed and it fell out! lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not quite but I will say that I was a lot more nervous in the weeks leading up to the second due date!
    I definitely reached a stage where I just wanted her out though (she went way over, yet I was up every night with contractions....).And once things get going, you are fine, you just get on with it.
    Bit like the Leaving Cert.The waiting is the worst part!!!!😂

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yes,it was super quick. From 1st pain to holding baby it was less then an hour. it was the worst pain in the world ever.
    I went on to have 2 more each one was quicker then the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Moonbeam wrote: »
    yes,it was super quick. From 1st pain to holding baby it was less then an hour. it was the worst pain in the world ever.
    I went on to have 2 more each one was quicker then the last.

Did your husband do a midwifery course in preparation?!

Surely you can’t have made it to the hospital?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Was kind of hoping you'd all say the first was horrendous, the second you sneezed and it fell out! lol

TBH- id almost say this! My first was about 48 hours from first contraction to birth (though 36 hours of it were very low grade pains). Baby was OP- I had my waters broken at 9am, and he was born just before 7pm. I’ve very little concept of the time, but it seemed like pushing went on for hours. It probably did actually. I had an epidural, but it didn’t really work.
    On my second, I woke up having pains at 5am, I laboured at home until around 3.30 (grand, and very manageable). I think I got to the hospital at 4.15, and he was born before 6. No pain relief, and pushing was literally 20 min or so.
    My third was similar but quicker again, woke at 5-6am with pains, and he was born before 1pm.
    So progressively quicker each time, but always with plenty time to arrange childcare!

Advertisement