Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final payslip being paid over a number of weeks?

Options
  • 13-11-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have a question.

I recently left a job and the employer owed me holiday pay and my final week of working there.

I got the payslip from the company and all of my wages where in the payslip, since I had 40-60 hours of holiday built up the pay was quite large and the tax was even worse for me.

However my employer informed me that they will be paying me across 2 weeks, so I got 50% of the pay this week and will get the other 50% next week.

Surely if they are splitting my pay should they not have split the payslips as well and allowed me to pay lower taxes?

I'm just a bit confused on why they did this? I sent them an email but they are just ignoring me since I have left.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It's not their problem. Why are you hassling them? They are correct to put everything through the one payslip.
    The tax will sort itself out at the end of the year (log on to ros online and get a balancing statement), or phone the tax office. If you won't be working for the rest of the year and you'll be out of the country, I believe there's a declaration you can complete to get your tax overpayment refunded earlier.
    As for splitting your pay between 2 weeks, they're probably doing that for their own cashflow purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Who said anything about hassling them? you're awfully defensive for me just wondering why my pay was split between 2 weeks instead of getting it all in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Columc wrote: »
    Who said anything about hassling them? you're awfully defensive for me just wondering why my pay was split between 2 weeks instead of getting it all in one.

Just based on "I sent them an email but they are just ignoring me since I have left".. they deducted tax correctly and paid you.

As for splitting your pay between 2 weeks, as I said it's probably for their cash flow purposes. Not ideal but not a lot you can do about it. Maybe they just didn't have enough in their bank account to cover your holiday pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As tenigate says.

You don't pay less tax if the pay is split across two weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Tenigate wrote: »
    As for splitting your pay between 2 weeks, as I said it's probably for their cash flow purposes. Not ideal but not a lot you can do about it.

actually yes thers is something that can be done.

But it would depend on whats in your contract. Contracts can determine when payments are required to be paid to employees. (late)Payment in contravention to the contract can lead to one party suing the other, especially where they can show a loss occurred due to the breach of contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement