Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is your career on track?

• 13-11-2017 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Is your career on track i.e. are you in a role you want, or on the path to one that you do want? Or does that not apply to you, are you just happy (or unhappy!) enough doing what you're doing?

How much, or little, does your career contribute to your overall sense of happiness?

Personally yeah I am on track, I'm in software and pretty much know how I want the next few decades ( :eek: ) to go. My herself however doesn't really have any set job or role she wants, so has a completely different outlook on this all. I find the differences between the viewpoints fascinating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm a train driver so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Nope, not in the slightest. I'm in my 40's and still haven't a clue what I want to do.

If I could give up my job tomorrow I would, without the slightest hesitation (Lotto win permitting!). It means absolutely nothing to me except having enough money to pay my way in life. I would walk away without a backward glance.

I guess I'll just muddle through life until retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Which each passing day I'm more and more convinced that the modern day PC-based office job commuting megacorp city lifestyle is the greatest con job ever pulled on mankind.

I'd nearly prefer a job emptying bins or sweeping the road at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Which each passing day I'm more and more convinced that the modern day PC-based office job commuting megacorp city lifestyle is the greatest con job ever pulled on mankind.

I'd nearly prefer a job emptying bins at this stage.

My ideal job (aged 8) was scouring skips for salvagable furniture and stuff. The abuse this garnered was ferocious, but 40 years on, I think I would have been better off if thats the route I had taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Odhinn wrote: »
    My ideal job (aged 8) was scouring skips for salvagable furniture and stuff. The abuse this garnered was ferocious, but 40 years on, I think I would have been better off if thats the route I had taken.

There are reality TV shows that have been built around that type of premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There's money in that yet I'd say. Not just furniture but also electronics. People don't know much about repairing that kind of thing and are happy to throw out seemingly useless equipment.

There are reality TV shows that have been built around that type of premise.

Every summer, there'd be skips all over the shop with bookshelves, chairs, tables and the like left by previous tenants. I didn't understand why it was in there at the time, as there was SFA wrong with it.

There's money in that yet I'd say. Not just furniture but also electronics. People don't know much about repairing that kind of thing and are happy to throw out seemingly useless equipment.

These days, quite probably yep. It's been shamed out of me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

c_man wrote: »
    Is your career on track i.e. are you in a role you want, or on the path to one that you do want? Or does that not apply to you, are you just happy (or unhappy!) enough doing what you're doing?

How much, or little, does your career contribute to your overall sense of happiness?

Personally yeah I am on track, I'm in software and pretty much know how I want the next few decades ( :eek: ) to go. My herself however doesn't really have any set job or role she wants, so has a completely different outlook on this all. I find the differences between the viewpoints fascinating.

I would say I'm definitely in a role I enjoy, and that my career greatly contributes to my overall happiness. I work in software development myself and it means I've been able to provide for my family and the people I care about, and that again contributes towards my overall happiness.

My wife has pretty much the same outlook as your herself :D But she's planning on enrolling in third-level education soon because it's something she's always wanted to do and feels she is now in the right place mentally and physically to do it. We aren't together any more but I'd still want to support her in any way I could and that contributes both to her overall happiness and mine and our child.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Nope, not in the slightest.

This ^^^ I'm early 30's though, I'm studying a short term Software Dev C# course atm with a view too doing a more advanced one in January and I do like it and would love too make a career out of it, I enjoy writing code and its a great feeling when my programs work but I find the problem solving side of things difficult, always had a problem with that and its showing here unfortunately some of the exercises he gave us I was left scratching my head :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

smooth sailing here, one day closer to death than 1 was yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Yes, I left school and went straight to Dunnes Stores to stack shelves. Its great cos I know all the people I work with because they were in my class in secondary school.

It's all I ever aspired to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

D3V!L wrote: »
    Yes,  I left school and went straight to Dunnes Stores to stack shelves.  Its great cos I know all the people I work work because they were in my class in secondary school.

It's all I ever aspired to ;)
    You would want to hope that a former class mate of yours isn't starting threads on internet forums about you!

I'm in a profession I am passionate about but the whole notion of "career" for me is irrelevant. Chasing a big wage and looking for promotions is of no interest to me. I do have a bit of an issue with feeling not good enough at times and this definitely holds me back but overall I'm content enough career wise.

Looking back I remember the excitement I had about starting out in life. I was definitely more ambitious about my future career. Where would I live, what would my job be like, how will things look when I'm 30, when will my first child be born. There was an element of fear as well but mostly a giddy sort of anticipation. I

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Nope, not in the slightest. I'm in my 40's and still haven't a clue what I want to do.

If I could give up my job tomorrow I would, without the slightest hesitation (Lotto win permitting!). It means absolutely nothing to me except having enough money to pay my way in life. I would walk away without a backward glance.

I used to really like what I do. Less so now. I chose a career in science but decided that doing dozens of hours of unpaid overtime per week was something I just didn't fancy. Now, I have a nice technical role with a University in Cancer Research but I fancy moving on.

It's important to bear in mind that things could be worse though. Perhaps that's just me becoming a cranky old git...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am probably in the upper percentiles of boards users, age wise. I was an IT consultant but fairly recently changed career. It is tough starting at the bottom, and the pay cut hurt, but I know it was the right decision. Love the new job, working in a great firm and hopefully career progression will come at the appropriate time.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Mine's fuct. Can't get a break. I can't shake off the recession - I've had it at my door for a decade and am still waiting for my re-training to bear fruit. I'm in my 30's and one of my major life's goals is to move back out of me ma's house.

I thought I finally had some luck earlier this year but it turned out to be the worst work experience of my life having to deal with a bully with a 19 year tenure head start. Whenever I think about the place I experience a sharp stabbing pain in my back. I'm actually in a major funk because things have been so bad for me for so long and I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted at this point. I have a final year of my part time degree to complete and I have no motivation left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Love my job. I have the privilege of helping people everyday and making a difference in their lives. Sometimes its small, sometimes its significant. It can be tough but I care a lot about what i do so it means a lot to me but not as a career as such, more that the people mean a lot to me. But anybody else could take my place (within reason!), so i dont take it too seriously as a job if that makes sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I like my job. Some days are boring but I feel like I'm making a difference.

There aren't too many rungs in the career ladder, so if I want promotion I'll have to wait for one of my seniors to retire which will be about 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Early 40's, career is exactly where I want it. Did the eating and sleeping for the company, and realized when redundancy came round I was only a number.
    Took a few steps back down the ladder, now work to live and not the other way round. Time with wife and kids can never be replaced by a bigger cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On track? Not really because I'd no real 'track' planned :D

Or rather the track I'd planned to take diverged yonks ago and I'm not even sure how I could get on it.

Kind of fell into the current area of work but really enjoy it. My current role is interesting enough but occasionally, in respect of certain clients, one is required to hold one's nose, lie back and think of the money.

Started in Data analysis >> Credit controller >> Management Consultant >> English teacher >> University lecturer >> Now Games Development.

Always thought about planning a career, but... :D

Also in my early 40s, and much happier now with what I'm doing. But, hey, I get bored after a few years with most jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Nope. I'm about ten years behind where I should be. In saying that though, I'm not one for conforming to the idea that we need to achieve certain things by certain ages. Life isn't that fluid or black and white for most of us.
    I'm happy right now so I guess that's what matters most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Yes, I'm not in the job I thought I'd be when I was 17. I wanted to be a stockbroker, and worked 2 summers in a brokers before going to college, went to do Economics in UCD and left after first year.

Went to an IT then to study computers, and thought I'd be either into developing or some kind of network engineer - nope. Ended up in a tech support call centre, and a few redundancies later I ended up right back at the bottom of the call centre ladder, skilled myself in Excel of all things and went from there into a pretty niche area of call centre management. Spoofed my way into the company I'm in now and currently I can't get a move away because as soon as companies hear my current salary/bonus/extras package they lose interest. There are other opportunities here and my manager gives me decent experience and I get a yearly increment and fairly substantial bonus, so I'm not "stuck", I enjoy working for the company I work for.

Between me and my wife we make enough to raise a child (3), run a couple of cars, go on modest trips in Ireland once every three or four months. We have a couple of hobbies between us, and we go out for coffee pretty regularly and for dinner about once every couple of months.

I work 7.30-4 every day and my boss tells me to leave at 4, there is no expectation to be seen to be working extra hours or being a martyr or anything like that.

Mortgage will be paid off by the time the child is a teenager too, so I'm not in any rush chasing a higher payday, I'm happy with there we are. Could we be better off? No I don't think so, moving to another company may mean I need to change my work-life balance, and mine is pretty sweet at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Things are not going too bad I suppose in that I have a decent job, wage, and a good team working for me.

The issues are the commute now and the salary could be better, but by far my biggest issue is that every year the management above me changes meaning that any plans, asks or other ideas for myself and the team are reset in a Groundhog Day fashion. In 5 years I've had 7 managers, almost all of whom have had no real link to the job I do.

I've never been one to just sit back in a job but it's becoming increasingly frustrating. I've been looking for alternatives, but that's slow going too - mainly because where I want to be working (closer to my son) is a much smaller market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Had a complete career change about ten years ago and blundered into what I do now.
    I love my present role in saying that I'm just having having my dinner in work, two pork chops , baby potatoes , gravy and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I've had the career I wanted. I'm winding down now. I never wanted high office, just to get in, get it done and get home. I've performed well and been well rewarded for it. It was always a means to an end for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I enjoy writing code and its a great feeling when my programs work but I find the problem solving side of things difficult, always had a problem with that and its showing here unfortunately some of the exercises he gave us I was left scratching my head :o.

I'm doing similar and I know the solution. It's these little fuks: ; ; ; ; ; It's always them. :mad:

They're there when they shouldn't be and not there when they should. They are erections basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I really enjoy what I do and my career is pretty solid. I could push it a bit more over the next few years if I wanted to make more money, but I like the balance I have right now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm a plumber....people ****e on my work ( they do, think about it)....I hate my choice of "career".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I know a lad that drives a skip lorry, he tells me the things people just simply discard is astonishing.

Obviously, as he is the man that comes to collect the skip, he gets first refusal on some of the stuff that's in there.

He's had electric scooters, bikes, go karts, and various other things with shag all wrong with them, bar their owners upgraded or tired with them.

What he doesn't recycle via his own kids, he throws up on done deal, and proceeds of which goes into a family holiday fund.

He literally takes the wife and kids abroad (they were in Florida this year) purey on funds from other people's rubbish.

Fair phucks to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

No... I'm a 27 year old accountant with no idea what I want to do with my life, but I know for certain it's not this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'm the eternal 'could do better' Muppet. I never pushed myself education-wise, so all I have is a diploma and I really need a degree. I have a decent amount of experience and knowledge, but can go no further with it because I'm too much of a gobsh*te to go get a qualification. So all my experience is helping other people, who have gone and educated themselves, embellish their salary by being their lapdog...so no, my career isn't on track. But I do like my job :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Im 29, did a dead end college course in my teens and went back as a mature when was 23.

Graduated 3 years ago and I've moved around a few jobs since then. Loved every one of them though they've mostly been stepping stones to get experience and more qualifications

Started a new job earlier this year and its fantastic. I get to propose my own projects and work on them, set the budgets and i have full control over the direction and execution. Plenty of international travel, set my own hours and the pay is great. Plenty of room for advancement and I've done up a three year plan for advancement and maybe relocation to the US or Germany.

Timmyr wrote: »
    No... I'm a 27 year old accountant with no idea what I want to do with my life, but I know for certain it's not this!

If you're unattached/single, I highly recommend moving to a country outside of Europe for a few years. Accounting gives some options for the initial start, and I found businesses in other countries to be more helpful in suggesting more interesting career paths. Admittedly I didn't take their advice but...

Accounting/finance is definitely not the career to dislike and stay in. You'll get old quick. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

If you're unattached/single, I highly recommend moving to a country outside of Europe for a few years. Accounting gives some options for the initial start, and I found businesses in other countries to be more helpful in suggesting more interesting career paths. Admittedly I didn't take their advice but... 

Thanks for the advice, and you are right. :D I live in New Zealand and I'm working in a pretty interesting analyst role For the first time I'm not miserable going into work because its a much more relaxed environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m at a level below where I outdone be and where most of my college class are. Illness is largely to blame for that along with a slight change in direction which wasn’t on the plan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

eeguy wrote: »
    Im 29, did a dead end college course in my teens and went back as a mature when was 23.

Graduated 3 years ago and I've moved around a few jobs since then. Loved every one of them though they've mostly been stepping stones to get experience and more qualifications

Started a new job earlier this year and its fantastic. I get to propose my own projects and work on them, set the budgets and i have full control over the direction and execution. Plenty of international travel, set my own hours and the pay is great. Plenty of room for advancement and I've done up a three year plan for advancement and maybe relocation to the US or Germany.

Ecxellent! Good on you. Worthwhile also to do a long stint in a company you like, future employers value retention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

9 to 5, made sure I got into an area without too much stress, earn enough to pay the bills, enjoy myself a few times a month and gobon holidays so that will do.

**** the corporate ladder, stressing over a company that could replace you in a second, bull**** speak such as " touch base, going forward and brain storming sessions"

Not for me thanks, I have a life and family id rather spend my time and effort on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The recession torpedoed any chance of reaching the dizzying heights that I should have reached

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tastyt wrote: »
    9 to 5, made sure I got into an area without too much stress, earn enough to pay the bills, enjoy myself a few times a month and gobon holidays so that will do.

**** the corporate ladder, stressing over a company that could replace you in a second, bull**** speak such as " touch base, going forward and brain storming sessions"

Not for me thanks, I have a life and family id rather spend my time and effort on

Thank you for *reaching out*. Your experience is valuable to us.

Timmyr wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, and you are right. :D I live in New Zealand and I'm working in a pretty interesting analyst role For the first time I'm not miserable going into work because its a much more relaxed environment.

I went to Austalia when I hit 30. I'd always considered myself to be lazy in Ireland, but in Australia, I was praised for my speed and dedication. :pac:

Living in other countries tends to give you a fresh perspective on your life and career. It's very easy to get tunnel vision in your own country. I've heard the same from other nationalities who moved around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Yes, I'm not in the job I thought I'd be when I was 17. I wanted to be a stockbroker, and worked 2 summers in a brokers before going to college, went to do Economics in UCD and left after first year.

Went to an IT then to study computers, and thought I'd be either into developing or some kind of network engineer - nope. Ended up in a tech support call centre, and a few redundancies later I ended up right back at the bottom of the call centre ladder, skilled myself in Excel of all things and went from there into a pretty niche area of call centre management. Spoofed my way into the company I'm in now and currently I can't get a move away because as soon as companies hear my current salary/bonus/extras package they lose interest. There are other opportunities here and my manager gives me decent experience and I get a yearly increment and fairly substantial bonus, so I'm not "stuck", I enjoy working for the company I work for.

Between me and my wife we make enough to raise a child (3), run a couple of cars, go on modest trips in Ireland once every three or four months. We have a couple of hobbies between us, and we go out for coffee pretty regularly and for dinner about once every couple of months.

I work 7.30-4 every day and my boss tells me to leave at 4, there is no expectation to be seen to be working extra hours or being a martyr or anything like that.

Mortgage will be paid off by the time the child is a teenager too, so I'm not in any rush chasing a higher payday, I'm happy with there we are. Could we be better off? No I don't think so, moving to another company may mean I need to change my work-life balance, and mine is pretty sweet at the moment.

Enjoy it ! And don't make any mistakes by leaving !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes I have to say as regards career I have all my ducks in a row. I figured out what engages me and I built my career around that. I had to change companies to actually find a good balance but that's ok. I'm delighted with my career and my life in general. I do find one feeds the other and a positive can do attitude helps you to soar up the ladder as you leave the negative Normans behind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm doing similar and I know the solution. It's these little fuks: ; ; ; ; ; It's always them. :mad:

They're there when they shouldn't be and not there when they should. They are erections basically.

Ohhh I wish it was that simple for me :pac: the logic catches me out,there always seems too be a better of doing things than the way I do it, need too practice more I guess and keep at it because I do enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I’m happy with where I am. I’m a freelance artist and I run a small commercial printing business. I can pay my bills, save and live comfortably and that’s all I want. I’m not interested in spending all my time to earn more money.

This is what I’ve pretty much wanted to do my entire life, even though a lot of people thought it was stupid or risky. I’m glad I took the chance and while it’s hard work it’s worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Still in career recovery nearly 10 years from graduating with perfect timing in 2008, fell into where I am now, don't love but don't hate it.

Recession killed-off any career directly related to my degree. A spell of long-term unemployment and receiving abuse from the dole office meant I was just happy to get an unrelated job in another industry

Worked my way up a level in my current company, salary gone up in that time but still 20% below for similar roles elsewhere. After 5 years there and 3 years in my current role hitting career/salary glass ceiling territory now with being taken for granted and no whiff of promotions

Working hard on the side completing industry related exams for the past 2.5 years so hopefully that will help finally get myself on a proper career trajectory next year in a new company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Stuck in my current role for almost four years. I'm studying towards an accounting qualification, and need career progression to gain more relevant experience.

I am being well underpaid, I recently received a paltry wage increase, and am not progressing. I did ask! It's nothing to do with me. It's just internal stuff in the business. Even recruiters have been shocked by the salary, even after the wage increase.

I have had numerous job interviews, and have been unsuccessful with them. But, I'm not giving up. At this stage, I don't feel motivated, And feel put off by continuing my journey towards a qualification. The exams are tough to get, but I am really trying, and I will get them. But, part of me now wants a change of career. If my job was better, I'd be in a better position.

So, to answer the question, no, I'm not where I want to be. I'm not where I should be, at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement