Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

• 13-11-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

God it's really hitting parody levels now. So on Saturday the Irish football team had a crunch World Cup qualifying match against Denmark in Copenhagen. A good number of fans of the Boys in Green made their way to the Danish capital and were in party mode. Hanging out in the main squares and generally having a good time. One video surfaced of a group of fans cheering customers leaving the lingerie store Victoria's Secret. Have a look;
    The lady that the supporters cheered was clearly having fun and got in on the act with them. she even took her sexy purchases out of the bag and showed them off. A great bit of craic. The lady was interviewed after and said it was great fun. However, just ten minutes ago I was coming home in the car and flicking through the stations. They were discussing this on 2FM. Some woman, dunno who but maybe someone here can enlighten me starts up. ''No, no this isn't right. It's intimidating. A large group of men forcing their ideals onto a vulnerable woman.'' The host replied that the lady in question was interviewed and said it was a blast and enjoyed getting in on it. The woman started up again, ''That's all well and good but what if she cried or got scared, we'd be the subject of an international incident of shame.''

Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Omackeral wrote: »
    God it's really hitting parody levels now. So on Saturday the Irish football team had a crunch World Cup qualifying match against Denmark in Copenhagen. A good number of fans of the Boys in Green made their way to the Danish capital and were in party mode. Hanging out in the main squares and generally having a good time. One video surfaced of a group of fans cheering customers leaving the lingerie store Victoria's Secret. Have a look;
    The lady that the supporters cheered was clearly having fun and got in on the act with them. she even took her sexy purchases out of the bag and showed them off. A great bit of craic. The lady was interviewed after and said it was great fun. However, just ten minutes ago I was coming home in the car and flicking through the stations. They were discussing this on 2FM. Some woman, dunno who but maybe someone here can enlighten me starts up. ''No, no this isn't right. It's intimidating. A large group of men forcing their ideals onto a vulnerable woman.'' The host replied that the lady in question was interviewed and said it was a blast and enjoyed getting in on it. The woman started up again, ''That's all well and good but what if she cried or got scared, we'd be the subject of an international incident of shame.''

Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off.
    i listen to spotify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sure who doesn't love a crowd of men shouting and jeering to show us yer knicks? :pac:

Ah no. The woman clearly doesn't give a hoot.
    Why are people getting offended on the behalf of people who aren't even offended in the first place.

Sure look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone is entitled to their my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

Probably one of these perma offended types so no point taking her seriously.

But! Some Ireland fans are right numpties and I cringe at some of their antics such as the above (I'm a LOI and Ireland ST holder)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

anna080 wrote: »
    Sure who doesn't love a crowd of men shouting and jeering to show us yer knicks? :pac:

Why are people getting offended on the behalf of people who aren't even offended in the first place.

They get double offended, for themselves and for the unoffended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Using moral superiority to control the outrage of other people is a staple of 21st century media. It's a cheap and easy way of filling up air time which is always welcomed by radio producers and media companies. Get a real job, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

anna080 wrote: »

It gets them on radio, paid 'charity' work, and a book for the Christmas market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Let's just introduce an "I'm offended" tax at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If what if’s were horses. We’d all be driving Lamborghini’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

cantdecide wrote: »
    Using moral superiority to control the outrage of other people is a staple of 21st century media. It's a cheap and easy way of filling up air time which is always welcomed by radio producers and media companies. Get a real job, lads.

Its also a very effective way to silence others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I actually listened to this and I thought WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Could you not just do a wee mental shrug and change the channel?

Getting angry that easily isn't good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Nothing to be offended about, yer 1 clearly didn't mind.
    Not funny though imo, they just make ireland fans look like sad *****, that'd be my issue with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Could you not just do a wee mental shrug and change the channel?

Getting angry that easily isn't good for you.

I wrote that thread title to get a reaction exactly like this from the likes of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wrote that thread title to get a reaction exactly like this from the likes of you.

What, the likes of me that couldn't gave two hoots what some eejit on the radio was banging on about?

Patww79 wrote: »

That offends me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Have to say I find that behaviour fairly awful. I can absolutely see why women would feel threatened by that crowd.

Its also a very effective way to silence others.

You mean 'raise awareness' right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Social justicing is business now. Great for advertisers, the likes of Off The Ball and Sky Sports News have gone crazy on it lately. But as we have seen with the fall of ESPN in America, it is a disaster for ratings.

Have to say I find that behaviour fairly awful. I can absolutely see why women would feel threatened by that crowd.

The woman here seemed to love the fun. Fun, an awful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

tupenny wrote: »
    Nothing to be offended about, yer 1 clearly didn't mind.
    Not funny though imo, they just make ireland fans look like sad *****, that'd be my issue with it

A load of middle aged lads hanging around outside a lingerie shop roaring at women is fairly sad alright.

Morons and doaps. Ashamed to be Irish watching that clip even if the lady thought it was fun.

Never listen to Joe Duffy OP- your knob will fall off with the amount of turning off in anger you'll be doing.

tupenny wrote: »

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That feminist bore Ciarawhateherface on Newstalk took exactly the same line, and having warmed to her clearly pre-prepared theme (she started the show with this rant) she was happy to extrapolate one moment to represent man's war on women.

I switched off - and I wonder what the ratings are like for George Hooks replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

That woman played along, possibly as a defence. If you don't see the 'fun' is actually demeaning and almost completely on one side, then you don't see it!

I know many women I know would be fūcking mortified in that situation, and let's face it, that was what the 'fun' was all about.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure who it was but she was saying that this is bordering on gender abuse. She said if it was a Holland&Barrett store it wouldn't be happening, that these men are purposefully using sexuality. That's not true, that crowd would and do cheer anything. Sure at the Euros last year in France they were cheering a man for just walking onto his balcony. A man! They're eejits, but harmless eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think they were threatening or any similar nonsense but they were fairly pathetic. I bet you they would be embarrassed to do that in front of lingerie shop in Dublin but when people go away everything goes.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Morons and doaps. Ashamed to be Irish watching that clip even if the lady thought it was fun.

Doaps indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

The only downside of potentially qualifying for the World Cup next year in my opinion will be the flooding of the internet of Irish fans looking to outdo each other in the 'look how sound Irish fans are' video stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

That woman played along, possibly as a defence. If you don't see the 'fun' is actually demeaning and almost completely on one side, then you don't see it!

I know many women I know would be fūcking mortified in that situation, and let's face it, that was what the 'fun' was all about.

She was interviewed afterwards and said it was great fun.

I think if it was my mother she would've gotten a great bit of skit out of it too. Then again, she's got a sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I'm not sure who it was but she was saying that this is bordering on gender abuse. She said if it was a Holland&Barrett store it wouldn't be happening, that these men are purposefully using sexuality. That's not true, that crowd would and do cheer anything. Sure at the Euros last year in France they were cheering a man for just walking onto his balcony. A man! They're eejits, but harmless eejits.

They were cheering all the residents on the Boulevard de Clichy if they came out on their balconies to play along. It was the residents decision whether they wanted to come out or not. Completely different situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A bunch of men hanging around outside an underwear store, cheering at people coming out is a bit juvenile imo. What's next - Cheering someone as they come out of the toilet?

Barlett wrote: »
    The only downside of potentially qualifying for the World Cup next year in my opinion will be the flooding of the internet of Irish fans looking to outdo each other in the 'look how sound Irish fans are' video stakes.

Oh 100%. I'm not here to sing the praises of the Best Fans in the WorldTM. That stuff was painful last year and very self aware and self indulgent. It's relatively harmless but yeah it got very annoying very quick.

It's not the police they'll have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Well the woman didn't seem to mind, and she was interviewed afterwards so I reckon she really didn't mind. I don't think the lads meant any harm either. Though if it were me coming out of a lingerie shop and saw a giant group of lads cheering me on I'd probably laugh and smile but I'd also be mortified and quickly scuttle off. I wouldn't care about people looking at me coming out of an underwear shop, it could be any shop at all, I'd just be embarrassed by everyone looking at me all at once.

• Advertisement

Doaps indeed.

You knew my misspelling was irony, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I couldn't care less about this, but is anyone else slightly embarrassed at the way in which Irish fans seek attention. It's like anytime we play abroad there has to be a viral video so everyone can say how great we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

A bunch of men hanging around outside an underwear store, cheering at people coming out is a bit juvenile imo. What's next - Cheering someone as they come out of the toilet?

By all accounts the shop is next door to the Irish pub. Possible reason for 00s of Paddy's to be hanging about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They weren't hanging about a lingerie store they were filling a square that was happy to take 'teh' euros being spent on 'teh craic'

These are men hanging about a lingerie store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

<snip>
    Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off. <snip>

...and the (clothes) horse she rode in on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I suppose the issue is what if she wasn't into it? She didn't get much choice, it just happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

you are right , they used their position of power to coerce her into doing their bidding..

then later when she was interviewed the crowd of men used their patriarchal mind control techniques to control her emotions into thinking she had a good time .
    in short the rabble of men caused her mind to internally misogynise (is that a word) herself .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Most of those drunken morons having the "craic" are in fact just a bunch of drunken morons shouting in the street and being a pain in the hole to people just trying to go about their lives.

The joe.ie version of the "best fans in the world" aren't half as funny as they think they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

bum_community_offended_961755.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

She has very little to be worrying her.

I mean considering the heinous accusations emerging from the entertainment industry on pretty much a daily basis, there is no way this is even newsworthy in comparison.

Although I suppose it fits into the current "every man is a misogynistic/creepy/sexist bastard" narrative that is so in vogue right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement