Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well the woman didn't seem to mind, and she was interviewed afterwards so I reckon she really didn't mind. I don't think the lads meant any harm either. Though if it were me coming out of a lingerie shop and saw a giant group of lads cheering me on I'd probably laugh and smile but I'd also be mortified and quickly scuttle off. I wouldn't care about people looking at me coming out of an underwear shop, it could be any shop at all, I'd just be embarrassed by everyone looking at me all at once.

Yeah, I'd be mortified at the attention, tbh. This lady wasn't but you only find that out after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think most women I know would have been fairly mortified to have a huge group of pissed men shouting at them coming out of shop after buying underwear.

I'm more mortified, however, for how simple you'd have to be to be a part of the group. Absolute LADS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

arayess wrote: »
    you are right , they used their position of power to coerce her into doing their bidding..

then later when she was interviewed the crowd of men used their patriarchal mind control techniques to control her emotions into thinking she had a good time .
    in short the rabble of men caused her mind to internally misogynise (is that a word) herself .....

I didn't attempt any faux intellectualalism. The idea that a woman might feel embarrassed upon leaving a lingerie store and by a crowd of leering, jeering drunks is straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Donal55 wrote: »
    By all accounts the shop is next door to the Irish pub. Possible reason for 00s of Paddy's to be hanging about there.

Yep, The Dubliner, one of Copenhagens main Irish pubs is right next door to the VS shop. It's not like they went out of their way to source a lingerie shop.

https://goo.gl/images/JQD3c8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm not offended, but I don't think it's funny either.

But hey ho. No one got hurt.

Reminds me of this Trigger Happy TV sketch.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Yep, The Dubliner, one of Copenhagens main Irish pubs is right next door to the VS shop. It's not like they went out of their way to source a lingerie shop.

https://goo.gl/images/JQD3c8

But when it's right there, like, obviously you can't let the opportunity pass you by. Bras and knickers! Tee hee hee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The fact that this particular woman wasn’t offended doesn’t mean that in general other women wouldn’t be.

Thinking about general cases is difficult it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Taking bets on what date Una Mullally feature this in one of IT columns... Perfect material for her to let it rip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Does anyone know who the outraged woman was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I switched off - and I wonder what the ratings are like for George Hooks replacement.

In fairness George Hooks High Noon never came close breaking any records for listenership

I've listened to Ciara Kelly most days and at times she's very good. Today she was bad. She was looking for a story that was there.

A female listeners rang in & Ciara tried her best to get her to say that she felt like a victim to men at some point in her life. I was delighted when she said no. She'd never laugh something off. If a man made her feel uncomfortable she'd tell him. Nip it in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Dj Ciara Kelly was one of them.

:P

Donal55 wrote: »
    Dj Ciara Kelly was one of them.

:P

shock horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The Neediness of the travelling Irish football fans with their attention-seeking tripe is mortifying, I must say... just once, I wish once of em would throw a wheelie bin through a shop window or something.

That being said - the woman in the video didn't give a f*ck. The woman on the radio has an agenda and will shout it at the top of her voice at every given opportunity.

Like videos of Irish football fan eejitry, she's best ignored...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    The Neediness of the travelling Irish football fans with their attention-seeking tripe is mortifying, I must say... just once, I wish once of em would throw a wheelie bin through a shop window or something.

That being said - the woman in the video didn't give a f*ck. The woman on the radio has an agenda and will shout it at the top of her voice at every given opportunity.

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Look, I don't think this incident is worthy of outrage. My only objection to it really is that many people are not comfortable with lots of attention being on them, male or female. This lady took it well, but they didn't know beforehand that she would. And it was posted to Youtube. Did she get a say in that? (I have a big problem with people's faces being plastered on other people's social media and places like Youtube without their permission. Maybe she gave permission. But I bet she didn't.)

Plus, it's a tad juvenile.

God be with the days when you could go to away matches, get hammered on the pitch and off it and no one never had any inclination of fixing punctures or helping old ladies with bags etc.

'The past is a foreign country,.....'

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Look, I don't think this incident is worthy of outrage. My only objection to it really is that many people are not comfortable with lots of attention being on them, male or female. This lady took it well, but they didn't know beforehand that she would. And it was posted to Youtube. Did she get a say in that? (I have a big problem with people's faces being plastered on other people's social media and places like Youtube without their permission. Maybe she gave permission. But I bet she didn't.)

Plus, it's a tad juvenile.

Exactly, I'm no fan of outrage for outrage's sake but these fans are an embarrassment to the country. It's something I would expect from a group of teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Omackeral wrote: »
    Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off.

Ah it's not but it had the potential to go pear shaped on them, you have to admit. The lady took it well. If a bunch of lads did that in Dublin, the feminazis would be outraged. Elaine on TV3 would run with the story for a week and Leo would have to make a speech in the Dail about it.
    pat ticket wrote: »
    But! Some Ireland fans are right numpties and I cringe at some of their antics such as the above (I'm a LOI and Ireland ST holder)

Yeah, friend of mine was showing me a thread on the RoI football supporters forum and some of the them didn't cover themselves in glory over there, as reported by other Irish fans.

I'd say yer one in the video (coming out of the shop) is probably great fun to be around. She seemed to embrace it as the bit of a laugh that it was intended as. She definitely seems confident.

At the same time.. a bunch of adults (Irish or otherwise) making their way to an Ann Summers in a crowd and cheering people on is all just a bit too embarrassing for me, personally. If they were 8 year old boys fascinated at the thoughts of seeing a bra you might understand. But a swarm of fully grown men... can't help but feel a little sense of desperation and 'look @ d sex lolz' going on there.

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    The only downside of potentially qualifying for the World Cup next year in my opinion will be the flooding of the internet of Irish fans looking to outdo each other in the 'look how sound Irish fans are' video stakes.

I have to admit that I too will absolutely dread this. During the Euros, I actually found these videos difficult to avoid, and I was really trying to avoid them.

And you know it's just a minority of eejits looking for attention. I have no problem at all with Irish fans having the craic, cutting loose, getting drunk. And many will be family men and women enjoying a well-deserved mini-break. It's just this neediness in a small portion of the fans that lets the side down. Something of the Jester about them.
    At the same time.. a bunch of adults (Irish or otherwise) making their way to an Ann Summers in a crowd and cheering people on is all just a bit too embarrassing for me, personally.

Apparently the shop is right beside an Irish bar. Because, that completely justifies it. They had to do something, right? :pac:

LOL, bras and knickers.

Had to change the channel on my way home from work while they were ****ing on. Then iRadio were on about yet another suicide/mental health hotline. It was a pleasant spin from then. Have to admit I'm impressed just how smooth the modern 1.8 diesel engine actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Forget trees falling in the forest, do the best fans in the world even exist if Joe.ie isn't around to show videos of them shouting "wahay" outside pubs?

Didn't hear much of this outrage from Ciara et al when those German women were assaulted in Cologne and other cities last Christmas by certain religious groups.

Drunken Irish acting the clown however and its open season here.

But a swarm of fully grown men... can't help but feel a little sense of desperation and 'look @ d sex lolz' going on there.

There is but it's a window into the mindset of a section of Irish society. One of the most popular and richest, I would think, comedians in this country, Brendan O' Carroll, made his name and career off the back of knickers and bra related gags. There stands his audience. It's infantile, immature but it's harmless, once the recipient doesn't take offence, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I suppose the issue is what if she wasn't into it? She didn't get much choice, it just happened.

Exactly. She really had no choice but to go along with it.

For me it reminded me of the numerous cringey and uncomfortable moments in my life where you just go along with this type of 'fun' as its just whats expected. Personally, I find nothing unfunnier than this type of lads 'banter' and would have died in that shop before having to walk through that front door. I think I have a pretty good sense of humor but I really fail to see how hilariously fun this is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

elefant wrote: »
    I think most women I know would have been fairly mortified to have a huge group of pissed men shouting at them coming out of shop after buying underwear.

I'm more mortified, however, for how simple you'd have to be to be a part of the group. Absolute LADS!

I think any women who would have been mortified by that scenario
    wouldn't have gone within an asses roar of the shop in the first place.

You're right on how simple 'da lads' are tho.

panda100 wrote: »
    Exactly. She really had no choice but to go along with it.

For me it reminded me of the numerous cringey and uncomfortable moments in my life where you just go along with this type of 'fun' as its just whats expected.

Exactly. As a teenager, that stuff can happen fairly frequently and you go along with it because you don't want to be seen as square. But these are adults.

Oh my god, I've just plugged my mother into this scenario and thought of how she would react if it was her. She'd be mortified. She'd be really upset actually, I think. She hates attention.

People have said on-thread that if you wouldn't enjoy this, it signifies a lack of a sense of humour. Hardly. Different people find different things funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

panda100 wrote: »
    I think I have a pretty good sense of humor but I really fail to see how hilariously fun this is :confused:

whatever about being there at the time and absolutely pissed (where anything can be hilarious) the comments on social media beat all. jeez some people are embarrasingly easily amused

Extra points for "I'm from x but I would love the Irish to qualify cos they've the best fans in the world" comments. CRINGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

There is context to the way the Irish fans behave abroad. In the days leading up to the Euros when the Irish fans were due to travel the English were clashing with the French police, French teenagers, Russian hooligans. So this cringey being extra nice craic is designed to wind up the English. It’s quite funny when you’re there and everybody has their tounge firmly in cheek. It doesn’t carry properly in the videos but that’s what it’s about.

These saps outside the undies shop are a bit wide of the mark though. Similarly with the lads that think it’s great to sing the Toure song at every black lad that walks by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

OnDraught wrote: »
    It’s quite funny when you’re there and everybody has their tounge firmly in cheek. It doesn’t carry properly in the videos but that’s what it’s about.

These saps outside the undies shop are a bit wide of the mark though. Similarly with the lads that think it’s great to sing the Toure song at every black lad that walks by.

Yeah exactly this!

milehip wrote: »
    I think any women who would have been mortified by that scenario
    wouldn't have gone within an asses roar of the shop in the first place.

:confused::confused::confused:

It's a lingerie shop. Pretty much every woman wears a bra.

Someone said it's an Ann Summers. It's not, it's just an underwear shop.

In the days leading up to when the Irish fans were due to travel the English were clashing with the French police, French teenagers, Russian hooligans. So this cringey being extra nice craic is designed to wind up the English. It’s quite funny when you’re there and everybody has their tounge firmly in cheek. It doesn’t carry properly in the videos but that’s what it’s about.

Sorry, I don't buy it. They are crying out for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Clearly nothing to take exception to from a sexist or intimidation angle, but jeez Irish football fans are needy fcukers altogether.

There is context to the way the Irish fans behave abroad. In the days leading up to the Euros when the Irish fans were due to travel the English were clashing with the French police, French teenagers, Russian hooligans. So this cringey being extra nice craic is designed to wind up the English. It’s quite funny when you’re there and everybody has their tounge firmly in cheek. It doesn’t carry properly in the videos but that’s what it’s about.

I dunno. Euro 2012 was where it all started with the videos and the "best fans in the world" stuff and I don't recall that there was trouble from English and Russian fans at that tournament. Was there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I dunno. Euro 2012 was where it all started with the videos and the "best fans in the world" stuff and I don't recall that there was trouble from English and Russian fans at that tournament. Was there?

The Polish hooligans and police were well able for the English and Russians. There was clashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

_Dara_ wrote:
    Someone said it's an Ann Summers. It's not, it's just an underwear shop.

Victoria's Secrets I think. As you say an underwear shop

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Clearly nothing to take exception to from a sexist or intimidation angle

It's a bit intimidating. Not in a threatening way, but it would very overwhelming to many people to be ambushed like that whilst going about their daily business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

It a bit of a craic and I thought it was pretty funny! The amount of people getting their knickers in a twist over a pair of knickers is just as hilarious. A girl I know posted it online, and it only took a few minutes for comments like "I don't get it" to start rolling in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I wonder what she thought of the lad sucking a Diddy during the last World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Omackeral wrote: »
    Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off.
    [/LEFT]

And when she gets there she should fúck off some more.

The Polish hooligans and police were well able for the English and Russians. There was clashes.

England didn't play any games in Poland in EURO 2012 ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I wonder how many ladies decided to give that shop a swerve on Saturday with all the sex pests swarming around outside?

Will the same losers be repeating the act tomorrow in Dublin?

Nope, it’s the desperate attention seekers who think Irish Abroad = Endless Craic & Social Media Attention. Never mind any inconvenience to the locals. Sure everyone loves the Irish, right?

And joe.ie. Makes The Sun look like a reputable media outlet. The Indo even worse. “Look at überbantz best fans in the world do something marginally interesting in a foreign city!!!”. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It makes me really angry when women try and speak on behalf of women in general, with all this what if x, what if y crap, especially in cases like this when the lady was clearly having a good time (a strong, independent women mind you getting in on the antics of how many lads!). I feel like some women just want to make us all victims of phantom sexist crimes that aren't even a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So they aren't morons, they're just being ironic?

Suuuuuuuuuure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'd have died of mortification I think. :o

Seriously though, unless these lads all came out of nowhere like a flash mob, surely they would have all been outside when she went in? In that case, I just wouldn't have gone in, knowing what the likely response would be on me leaving with a bag. That she went in would indicate to me that she wasn't worried or embarrassed about it. There's very very few occasions you'd need an urgent new bra or knickers like, shy people would have just given it a miss. I don't find it funny, more cringey in an attention-seeking way like has already been said.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Let's just introduce an "I'm offended" tax at this stage.

Does that include the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Looks to me like she went into the shop when there was nobody around and was caught by surprise by the 3000 or so Irish fans gathered outside. I'd say they were following her all day and she thought to herself surly they will respect my privacy if I go shopping for underwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not offensive, the woman involved took it in good spirit so nothing to discuss. I do agree the forced hilarity of the Irish fans is getting tedious at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And another thing

Stop with the cheap ****e unfunny flags

When a group of lads travel abroad it's the name of your town/local hand stitched in black is all that should be seen

• Advertisement
Advertisement