Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

That won't work in Russia. I doubt the Russian police would be as tolerant.

The Russian Police. Stern. Stern but fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

cantdecide wrote: »
    Morons and doaps. Ashamed to be Irish watching that clip even if the lady thought it was fun.

A bit harsh.
    I couldn't care less about this, but is anyone else slightly embarrassed at the way in which Irish fans seek attention. It's like anytime we play abroad there has to be a viral video so everyone can say how great we are.

It certainly beats the hell out of hooliganism and the goings on of other fans around the world. Irish fans have some beers, have the craic and are welcomed everywhere.
    The fact that this particular woman wasn’t offended doesn’t mean that in general other women wouldn’t be.

Thinking about general cases is difficult it seems.

Offended at what? Wtf does it even mean to be "Offended" exactly?

That woman on the radio is looking to be upset, she's actively on the prowl for some misery. I mean, how in the fcuk is this sexist in any way shape or form? There's a woman involved? Fcuking idiotic mentality. God damn snow flakes. Melt them down I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And another thing

Stop with the cheap ****e unfunny flags

When a group of lads travel abroad it's the name of your town/local hand stitched in black is all that should be seen

No likes or RTs on social media unless it’s some “hilarious” quote from a crap comedy about priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It's a bit intimidating. Not in a threatening way, but it would very overwhelming to many people to be ambushed like that whilst going about their daily business.

Yeah I can certainly see where the issue is. Although I'd imagine that if someone didn't like the crowd they probably wouldn't have gone into the shop with them around in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No likes or RTs on social media unless it’s some “hilarious” quote from a crap comedy about priests.

1400419395950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Haven’t seen the video and don’t really want to. If the girl came out and didn’t like the attention, so what? It’s a bit uncomfortable but it’s hardly the end of the world for anyone. Jesus I’ve been in positions where I got attention I didn’t like from a group. It’s uncomfortable for a few minutes but isn’t going to ruin my day or anything.

It’s immature but I can see how, with a few pints, you’d find it funny.

It’s a nothing incident and I can’t for the life of me believe it’s generating this much publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Barlett wrote: »
    The only downside of potentially qualifying for the World Cup next year in my opinion will be the flooding of the internet of Irish fans looking to outdo each other in the 'look how sound Irish fans are' video stakes.

Drives me insane, and i’ve been going to home games for 30+ years with a few aways along the way.

The Indo, the tabloids, RTE and Des Cahill feed it incessantly. Nauseating.

Report on the football, not the circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Vela wrote: »
    It a bit of a craic and I thought it was pretty funny! The amount of people getting their knickers in a twist over a pair of knickers is just as hilarious. A girl I know posted it online, and it only took a few minutes for comments like "I don't get it" to start rolling in.

For me, it's not because it's a woman and it's not because it's underwear. It's bringing a lot of (drunken) attention on someone who might not be comfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Omackeral wrote: »
    The host replied that the lady in question was interviewed and said it was a blast and enjoyed getting in on it. The woman started up again, ''That's all well and good but what if she cried or got scared, we'd be the subject of an international incident of shame.''
    But she didn't cry or get scared. And "we'd" be the subject of an incident international incident of shame? These collectivist folk are awesome.

Eejity carry-on, to be honest, but dangerous and threatening? Gtfo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

But she didn't cry or get scared. And "we'd" be the subject of an incident international incident of shame? These collectivist folk are awesome.

Yea. Like nothing happened. A lady bought some knicks, walked outside, crowd cheered, they all had a laugh.
    "But what if?"..... Have people nothing else to do doing only getting outraged over hypothetical situations now?

I'd file this one under "pick your battles, people".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Well the woman didn't seem to mind, and she was interviewed afterwards so I reckon she really didn't mind. I don't think the lads meant any harm either.

They probably filmed several women leaving the shop and selected that part of the video as their clickbait social media friendly effort.

It'll be a sliver lining if we lose tomorrow to know we'll be spared more of these cringe videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, given that 1 woman appeared to think it was gas crack altogether, all sound women should be cool with it, right?
    ffs. How many other women (who aren't as poised and 'cool' as that woman) were also filmed but slunk off home feeling like crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Skid X wrote: »
    They probably filmed several women leaving the shop and selected that part of the video as their clickbait social media friendly effort.

It'll be a sliver lining if we lose tomorrow to know we'll be spared more of these cringe videos.

Then again maybe they only filmed one.

#ClutchingAtStraws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Well, given that 1 woman appeared to think it was gas crack altogether, all sound women should be cool with it, right?
    No, I dislike that carry-on - it's infantile, but from what the opening post says, the woman was not bothered by it, and then the other person on the radio backtracked and said "but what if". There's no point in that. If the woman had been intimidated, then of course what she says would be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Serious sense of humour fail with a lot of people.

You're giving these lads the credit that they went out of their way to stand outside a lingerie shop and be a bit cheeky. There's no way they did that!

They happened to be outside of a pub and that happened to be nearby. .....that's my guess. You might notice they are singing at the start of the clip. They were there for a sing-song, that's it. They were probably at least a bit tipsy too. They had a bit of craic with a customer of a lingerie store....big deal.....only a couple of people interacted with her directly, it didn't even go badly. Had it done so then it wouldn't be reflective of the large group either. Watching something on video is a poor proxy for understanding how it was there in person.

I suggest some of those offended go along on some of these trips and see the atmosphere. It isn't intimidatory. It's quite jovial. There has been a growing trend in recent years where something might happen because there's a camera/phone out but it's probably much the same as what it was 10 years ago bar the customised flags.

The fact is there is a real novelty element to the sport trip away, and given that the trip is only happening because of the football, the huge amount of time before and after the game are usually filled with whiling away the time in pubs and the like. It's not for everyone but there is a great sense of camaraderie there.

People might think it's juvenile. Yeah? They don't care. Nor should they.

The likes of Ciara Kelly have an agenda to push.....the perpetually offended. Maybe people like that should choose their battles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

For me, it's not because it's a woman and it's not because it's underwear. It's bringing a lot of (drunken) attention on someone who might not be comfortable with it.

But listen, she walks out of the shop and people are cheering playfully. Most people would probably chuckle to themselves in some form of disbelief at the absurdity of it all and then just walk on. Nobody impeded her movement. She stopped. She took the lingerie out. She waved it around in good spirits and most importantly had fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ciara Kelly should get herself up to the Galway Races or the Connacht Final next year. Not saying its right but similar antics, but the only thing missing is the lingerie shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Skid X wrote: »

Not sure about that Skid. We'll have to put up with the mandatory seven days of excuses on the national airways, the online petition looking for a replay and the Dail debate on the defeat.

Yeah I can certainly see where the issue is. Although I'd imagine that if someone didn't like the crowd they probably wouldn't have gone into the shop with them around in the first place.

I wouldn't expect a crowd of adults to say anything to me on leaving a shop. tbh. And it's kind of hard to tell how many are there. She might have been in there for a while trying stuff on. It can take a while to fit a bra. Might not have been so mobbed when she went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

:confused::confused::confused:

It's a lingerie shop. Pretty much every woman wears a bra.

Someone said it's an Ann Summers. It's not, it's just an underwear shop.

Eh what's so confusing about my post ? Yeah everyone knows it a lingerie shop,I wasn't disputing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ligerdub wrote: »
    They happened to be outside of a pub

Of course they were, the best fans in the world, where else would they be...

But listen, she walks out of the shop and people are cheering playfully. Most people would probably chuckle to themselves in some form of disbelief at the absurdity of it all and then just walk on. Nobody impeded her movement. She stopped. She took the lingerie out. She waved it around in good spirits and most importantly had fun.

Yep, so after the fact, all is well that ends well.

Also, people on here are too quick to say that anyone even slightly negative in commenting on it is outraged. Yer one on the radio was, sure, but discussing it here doesn't mean you are.
    milehip wrote: »
    Eh what's so confusing about my post ? Yeah everyone knows it a lingerie shop,I wasn't disputing that.

Why do you think she wouldn't have gone into that shop then? I don't understand your post. The crowd? I've been shopping in and around the Grafton Street when there have been large gathered crowds for various reasons, drinking and otherwise. I wouldn't avoid shopping because of that because I wouldn't expect anyone to take any notice of me. She's have no reason to think that because there's a crowd, that she'd be singled out for attention.

Of course they were, the best fans in the world, where else would they be...

Yes, because large groups of football fans from everywhere else but Ireland go on these trips to explore the local museums and libraries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

" Some woman, dunno who but maybe someone here can enlighten"

Fintan O'Toole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

It was also discussed on hard shoulder. I think the fact this is being discussed on radio programmes shows that the ongoing culture of reducing men and tut tutting at their behaviour is going very well.
    Im of the belief that there is a wider campaign a foot to discredit men and have cause for scrutinising them at every turn. The fact that shows are voluntarily picking this stuff for discussions shows the hard feminists are doing a very fine job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 daysaredust

i thought "Doctor" Kira Kenelly done a really good monollogue on the subject today, on denis o brien fm

Why do you think she wouldn't have gone into that shop then? I don't understand your post. The crowd? I've been shopping in and around the Grafton Street when there have been large gathered crowds for various reasons, drinking and otherwise. I wouldn't avoid shopping because of that because I wouldn't expect anyone to take any notice of me. She's have no reason to think that because there's a crowd, that she'd be singled out for attention.

Yeah you haven't read my post right at all, I never referenced the woman in question, try reading the post i quoted as well.

Yeah you haven't read my post right at all, I never referenced the woman in question, try reading the post i quoted as well.

Oh I read it. And the post you responded to. My post still stands. I've gone into shops near where large crowds of people are drinking. I wouldn't avoid it because I wouldn't expect juvenile or drunken behaviour that early in the evening. (it's during shopping hours) I can't think I'm unusual in that regard. It was a shop she wanted to visit. Why would she be wary of the people gathered outside the pub next door in the early evening? It's not clear that it's an absolutely huge crowd.

Okay, another view shows that there are a good few people there, crowding around the door. Jebus! :eek:

If she went in after seeing that crowd, she was probably totally fine with it. But if she was in there for a while and that happened in the interim...

I would really hate that attention, but yeah I'd avoid it if I approached the shop and saw that crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

It was also discussed on hard shoulder. I think the fact this is being discussed on radio programmes shows that the ongoing culture of reducing men and tut tutting at their behaviour is going very well.
    Im of the belief that there is a wider campaign a foot to discredit men and have cause for scrutinising them at every turn. The fact that shows are voluntarily picking this stuff for discussions shows the hard feminists are doing a very fine job.

The nutjobs who are going to criticise men, are going to do it anyway, whether they have good reason to or if it's just another excuse to hear her own voice. The solution? Contact the media outlet and complain.

I find the act itself a bit odd tbh...the group cheer shows that they were watching and waiting for her to come out. The gorilla grunting after was embarassing. But was it an ordeal? Pfftt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Berserker wrote: »
    Not sure about that Skid. We'll have to put up with the mandatory seven days of excuses on the national airways, the online petition looking for a replay and the Dail debate on the defeat.

And Ray Darcy going on about how sad it was for the team and their families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Radio presenters look for these lunatics to phone talk shows it gets ratings and creates talking points. It's pathetic though with the PC brigade.

Okay, another view shows that there are a good few people there, crowding around the door. Jebus! :eek:

If she went in after seeing that crowd, she was probably totally fine with it. But if she was in there for a while and that happened in the interim...

I would really hate that attention, but yeah I'd avoid it if I approached the shop and saw that crowd.

And the penny drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Haha that danish woman is gas. Fair play to her, Id probably crumple into a blushing gittery mess if a crowd were doing that to me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

tupenny wrote: »
    Nothing to be offended about, yer 1 clearly didn't mind.
    Not funny though imo, they just make ireland fans look like sad *****, that'd be my issue with it

Just embarrassing more than anything imo...ok she might not have minded..someone else might have..whats the point? Just go to the pubs sing a few songs and have a few beers why bother anyone else? The whole 'best fans in the world' thing gets on my tits anyway, looks like some of those clowns are starting to believe they can do no wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

And the penny drops.

Now who's not reading posts? ;)

As I said before, including in the post you quoted, we don't know how long she was in there for. She could have gone in before that crowd coalesced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Now who's not reading posts? ;)

As I said before, including in the post you quoted, we don't know how long she was in there for. She could have gone in before that crowd coalesced.

She must have been in there for hours.

She must have been in there for hours.

A crowd can come together like that in less than half an hour. It's easy to spend an hour on bra-fitting, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

A crowd can come together like that in less than half an hour. It's easy to spend an hour on bra-fitting, believe me.

It's beside an Irish pub and a lot of them are holding drinks in their hands.

• Advertisement

People getting offended about something that didn't offend.

If it was me(and a crowd of women), I'd be embarressed but would laugh it off. I'd imagine the majority might fall into this category.

It's a good sign when this is the worst type of stuff our travelling fans get up to.

It's beside an Irish pub and a lot of them are holding drinks in their hands.

Yes... they are crowded around the door of the shop. Aimless standing around outside a pub is a different thing. And, once again, there could have a lot less people standing outside the pub with drinks in their hands half an hour before. What difference to what I said does them holding drinks make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just embarrassing more than anything imo...ok she might not have minded..someone else might have..whats the point? Just go to the pubs sing a few songs and have a few beers why bother anyone else? The whole 'best fans in the world' thing gets on my tits anyway, looks like some of those clowns are starting to believe they can do no wrong.

How can they do any wrong? BFITW™️. Losers crying for an award after Euro2012 for singing a few songs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why did I just think of this clip?

Yes... they are crowded around the door of the shop. Aimless standing around outside a pub is a different thing. And, once again, there could have a lot less people standing outside the pub with drinks in their hands half an hour before. What difference to what I said does them holding drinks make?

Loitering, serious business.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why did I just think of this clip?

Already been posted! :pac:

Loitering, serious business.

What’s your point?

Me and a few other posters have been talking about whether she would have avoided the shop if attention bothered her.

Loitering... okay. What do you want to say about loitering? It’s a new and different point. Want to proffer any points of discussion on it to get us started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't think I've ever turned off the radio in anger. Apart from that time that Liveline "Funny Friday" came on unexpectedly and in my haste to switch it off, I swerved across three lanes of the N7 and nearly caused a pile-up.

Copenhagen police: From a police pov Ireland is welcome to play here again. No registered incidents regarding fans all night. Thank you.
    Københavns Politi‏Verified account @KobenhavnPoliti

Set fra et politimigt synspunkt er Irland velkommen igen for at spille i Parken. Ingen registrerede episoder med fodboldfans i nattelivet. Tak for det. #politidk

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever turned off the radio in anger. Apart from that time that Liveline "Funny Friday" came on unexpectedly and in my haste to switch it off, I swerved across three lanes of the N7 and nearly caused a pile-up.

Turning off the radio in anger seems like the actions of someone who is outraged. :D

Advertisement