Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Omackeral wrote: »
    Copenhagen police: From a police pov Ireland is welcome to play here again. No registered incidents regarding fans all night. Thank you.
    Københavns Politi‏Verified account @KobenhavnPoliti

Set fra et politimigt synspunkt er Irland velkommen igen for at spille i Parken. Ingen registrerede episoder med fodboldfans i nattelivet. Tak for det. #politidk

I'm offended that you translated that for us and assumed we can't read Danish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The world is turning anti-craic.

As long as one person finds something offensive, it'll have to be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes... they are crowded around the door of the shop. Aimless standing around outside a pub is a different thing. And, once again, there could have a lot less people standing outside the pub with drinks in their hands half an hour before. What difference to what I said does them holding drinks make?

They are beside a pub which is obviously busy holding drinks in their hands. Do you honestly think all that could happen in half an hour?

Listened to this on the radio, all three thought it was harmless fun until told otherwise and then changed their mind.

The woman in the video wasn't offended by it. So why should you be?

It's all about the patriarchy making victims of women, when more often then not it's other women making them feel like victims. Just because it has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

They are beside a pub which is obviously busy holding drinks in their hands. Do you honestly think all that could happen in half an hour?

Sure. I've seen crowds coalesce in far less time than that, drinks in hand. I worked in a bar that could go from zero to crowded in twenty minutes.

And the way they are gathered around the entrance to the Victoria's Secret shop? Seriously, that could come together in five minutes. No waiting at the bar for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Sure. I've seen crowds coalesce in far less time than that, drinks in hand.

And the way they are gathered around the entrance to the Victoria's Secret shop? Seriously, that could come together in five minutes. No waiting at the bar for that to happen.

Do you think that big a crowd coming together would leave a hell of a mess for the people who had to clean it up afterwards

• Advertisement

Do you think that big a crowd coming together would leave a hell of a mess for the people who had to clean it up afterwards

Yeah, but it's ok, in Denmark, they have special ectoplasm-removing street cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The two premises are literally next door. Inevitable there's be a bit of sophmoric joking going on. It was probably an organic bit of craic.

ZZZ-Dublin-pub-3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Yeah, but it's ok, in Denmark, they have special ectoplasm-removing street cleaners.

Surely ectojism removing machines are what's needed

NIMAN wrote: »
    The world is turning anti-craic.

As long as one person finds something offensive, it'll have to be banned.

It's not thankfully.

People on the internet hundreds of miles away however :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Sure. I've seen crowds coalesce in far less time than that, drinks in hand. I worked in a bar that could go from zero to crowded in twenty minutes.

You can clearly see the people gathered around the shop with drinks in their hands.

So yes there was waiting around for drinks for that. Now you are just denying reality and creating your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

the sooner that 2FM start playing a bit of music, and stop trying to fill time with phone-in cranks, the better. You'd almost think they were doing this type of thing on purpose, to avoid having to pay royalties to recording artists.

So I flick over to Today FM, more blather. RTE1, same thing.

I am finding myself relying on the Northern channels and BBC for a few tunes.. all you hear is ads and blather in the South.

You can clearly see the people gathered around the shop with drinks in their hands.

You said that already. You asked if I thought that could happen in half an hour. I said yes, based on my own experiences. Why so fixated in them standing outside? Wait at bar. Get drink. Walk outside with it.

What are you having difficulty with here? Of course they have wait to get drinks. On a busy match day, it's a slick operation behind bars. Again, talking from experience here.

And, on top of all that, it's not hard to spend up to an hour in a shop trying on underwear. Talking from experience of that also.

So, what's all this about "denying reality"? Would you care to elaborate on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

God it's really hitting parody levels now. So on Saturday the Irish football team had a crunch World Cup qualifying match against Denmark in Copenhagen. A good number of fans of the Boys in Green made their way to the Danish capital and were in party mode. Hanging out in the main squares and generally having a good time. One video surfaced of a group of fans cheering customers leaving the lingerie store Victoria's Secret. Have a look;
    The lady that the supporters cheered was clearly having fun and got in on the act with them. she even took her sexy purchases out of the bag and showed them off. A great bit of craic. The lady was interviewed after and said it was great fun. However, just ten minutes ago I was coming home in the car and flicking through the stations. They were discussing this on 2FM. Some woman, dunno who but maybe someone here can enlighten me starts up. ''No, no this isn't right. It's intimidating. A large group of men forcing their ideals onto a vulnerable woman.'' The host replied that the lady in question was interviewed and said it was a blast and enjoyed getting in on it. The woman started up again, ''That's all well and good but what if she cried or got scared, we'd be the subject of an international incident of shame.''

Fun is outlawed now chaps and girls. I'd just kindly like to tell this woman on the radio, this offense seeker, to kindly fcuk the fcuk off.

So you were offended by someone else being offended by someone else not being offended. ?

I'm offended by you quoting the whole OP!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You wouldn't have gotten this kind of lark back in Italia 90.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I'm offended by you quoting the whole OP!

When I read the thread title, I read it to the tune of Don't Look Back in Anger. "I just turned off the radio in anger.....I heard you say".

mzungu wrote: »

I wonder though. Probably attention-seeking fucks in every generation! Just no social media back then.

But no in all honestly I'm not offended. I just find it baffling how there's always a victim in nearly everything these days, even when there's literally not one here. In this instance, not one person had a bad time, everyone had fun and it was light hearted and joyful. Then someone has to come along and search for a victim angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Attention seeking idiots sum of those irish fans that websites like Joe.ie and Ladbible make out to be living legends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Back when women knew their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Okay, another view shows that there are a good few people there, crowding around the door. Jebus! :eek:

If she went in after seeing that crowd, she was probably totally fine with it. But if she was in there for a while and that happened in the interim...

I would really hate that attention, but yeah I'd avoid it if I approached the shop and saw that crowd.

Jesus! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It's all going a bit too far too pc imo supported by the namby pamby males, not reflecting the attitudes that make up the diverse population we have. To shout loudly "shame on you" to stifle people is not progressive and ignores the differences between male and female attitudes and ways of living, trying to homogenise us. It's just a passing phase that won't work.

From what I understand at a chipindale performance the females act rather like males in heat. Not much difference there then.

The nutjobs who are going to criticise men, are going to do it anyway, whether they have good reason to or if it's just another excuse to hear her own voice. The solution? Contact the media outlet and complain.

I find the act itself a bit odd tbh...the group cheer shows that they were watching and waiting for her to come out. The gorilla grunting after was embarassing. But was it an ordeal? Pfftt!

They are bloody gathered around the door! Bunch of neanderthals!! :mad:

But no in all honestly I'm not offended. I just find it baffling how there's always a victim in nearly everything these days, even when there's literally not one here. In this instance, not one person had a bad time, everyone had fun and it was light hearted and joyful. Then someone has to come along and search for a victim angle.

The video I posted later on in the thread shows a different angle and for longer. There does appear to be people leaving the shop who are not interacting with the cheering crowd.

Oldtree wrote: »
    From what I understand at a chipindale performance the females act rather like males in heat. Not much difference there then.

As a former Chippindale myself, I can tell you that certainly is the case. The women in their 40/50's are worse than the 20 something males. I'll link a pic of one of my gigs and you can see for yourself. (No nudity)

9-friends-moments-danny-de-vito-hen-party.jpg?itok=z2-r98RE

This post has been deleted.

Very much so. There is a guy standing in the centre of the doorway with a camera focused directly into the shop. 'Best fans in the world indeed!' :mad:

You do know if we qualify for Russia tomorrow night, then we have a full month next summer of quirky and hilarious videos of Irish fans on the Indo website to look forward to.

The video I posted later on in the thread shows a different angle and for longer. There does appear to be people leaving the shop who are not interacting with the cheering crowd.

The pic I put up shows the proximity of the bar and the store, side by side. That plus the place was absolutely heaving with folks drinking so spillover was inevitable. Leering in the windows like that is a bit much though, I'll agree with you there.

• Advertisement

Yes... they are crowded around the door of the shop. Aimless standing around outside a pub is a different thing. And, once again, there could have a lot less people standing outside the pub with drinks in their hands half an hour before. What difference to what I said does them holding drinks make?

There are a few circling around the door in a predatory fashion. Can you imagine the reception the woman would have received if she had not reacted as she did?
    And well she knew it, I'm sure!

NIMAN wrote: »
    You do know if we qualify for Russia tomorrow night, then we have a full month next summer of quirky and hilarious videos of Irish fans on the Indo website to look forward to.

Do you know what gets me worse than anything else about the Best Fans in the WorldTM. It's the fact that these fellas wouldn't entertain the notion of actually supporting a team week in and week out in the flesh. Fans that do that are the best. don't have to make a viral song and dance every week, they just go for the love of the game. It's easy to be a cheeky leprechaun every 4 or 6 years in the public eye, try going every week as a normal guy or girl to some proper unglamorous sh*tholes and get back to me!

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Very much so. There is a guy standing in the centre of the doorway with a camera focused directly into the shop. 'Best fans in the world indeed!' :mad:

Yeah, I noticed that on second view. That's pretty bad actually.

There are a few circling around the door in a predatory fashion.

Ah come on now, that's charged language, circling like predators?! They're not rapists. They're not hyenas. They're not rapey hyenas.
    Can you imagine the reception the woman would have received if she had not reacted as she did?
    And well she knew it, I'm sure!

You're sure? How are you sure? Cos the thing is she liked the craic she had, she said as much herself afterwards. As for your point of 'imagine the reception she'd get if she didn't react', well spell it out for us there? What would it be? :confused:

Do you know what gets me worse than anything else about the Best Fans in the WorldTM. It's the fact that these fellas wouldn't entertain the notion of actually supporting a team week in and week out in the flesh. Fans that do that are the best. don't have to make a viral song and dance every week, they just go for the love of the game. It's easy to be a cheeky leprechaun every 4 or 6 years in the public eye, try going every week as a normal guy or girl to some proper unglamorous sh*tholes and get back to me!

Stand up for the boys in green
    Sit down for the boys in green

Irish and UK football fans, Connor McGregor and Darts fans seem to be a similar breed. I wonder how much some of those lads know about the sport. Ever see the group's of women who latch onto the sporting bandwagon and get the most attention (not all female fans btw, some females are very knowledgeable about sports)

I remember one of the main streets in Derry during 2002 WC being absolutely jammed with people. But most of them were only out for the beer, nothing else.

I don't want to post the picture as there is a naked guy in it, but if you Google for:

shipquay street during world cup

You'll see the photo, and it shows a naked man having the craic and probably ruining a poor guys car roof at the same time.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Stand up for the boys in green
    Sit down for the boys in green

Irish and UK football fans, Connor McGregor and Darts fans seem to be a similar breed. I wonder how much some of those lads know about the sport. Ever see the group's of women who latch onto the sporting bandwagon and get the most attention (not all female fans btw, some females are very knowledgeable about sports)

I think fairweather lady Rugby fans are the biggest offenders here to be honest.

I think fairweather lady Rugby fans are the biggest offenders here to be honest.

After getting beaten 90-3

'ah were all proud of the lads, it wasant there day but they'll be back I tell ya'. 3 cheers for the lads

I'm a moody ****er after my team loses and the last thing I want to hear walking out of the ground/pub is ****ers singing and dancing like we won. Part of sport is to feel pain and it takes a few hours to see any joy after defeat

Ah come on now, that's charged language, circling like predators?! They're not rapists. They're not hyenas. They're not rapey hyenas.

You're sure? How are you sure? Cos the thing is she liked the craic she had, she said as much herself afterwards. As for your point of 'imagine the reception she'd get if she didn't react', well spell it out for us there? What would it be? :confused:

If you were a woman inside that shop listening to all that gorilla sounding whooping and baying outside and seeing some guys facing into the shop, camera phones in hand, waiting for someone to exit, you might find that behaviour intimidating. I know I would! Am I allowed to say that without being attacked for not having the requisite 'sense of humour'?

From what I can see in the first video, the woman is stopped by a few guys who seem to be looking at her shopping bag. She seems to play along with the guys, fair play to her. What might have happened if she had not 'cooperated' with them and had shown annoyance/anger at being stopped by them? Well, that is anyone's guess!! I had thought it was a bit of fun when I had only seen the first video, but things look considerably less benign in the second one.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm a moody ****er after my team loses and the last thing I want to hear walking out of the ground/pub is ****ers singing and dancing like we won. Part of sport is to feel pain and it takes a few hours to see any joy after defeat

I didn't realise my husband posted on boards.

• Advertisement

If you were a woman inside that shop listening to all that gorilla sounding whooping and baying outside and seeing some guys facing into the shop, camera phones in hand, waiting for someone to exit, you might find that behaviour intimidating. I know I would! Am I allowed to say that without being attacked for not having the requisite 'sense of humour'?

Of course you're allowed to say that and feel that. I already agreed that looking in the windows was too much. What's the story with you saying you're being attacked though? It lessens the legitimacy of whatever point you're making.
    From what I can see in the first video, the woman is stopped by a few guys who seem to be looking at her shopping bag. She seems to play along with the guys, fair play to her. What might have happened if she had not 'cooperated' with them and had shown annoyance/anger at being stopped by them? Well, that is anyone's guess!!

They would've most like just kept drinking and singing I'd say. Why the sinister vibe though?! she wasn't under pressure to cooperate. Sure she freely takes the things out of her own accord and shows them off with a big smile on her face and walks off not a bother.

I've been away following Ireland. There's no malice anywhere. Have never seen anger of any sort. Copenhagen police said they had zero issues with the fans, that's pretty damn good when there's thousands on the beer all day. You wouldn't get that record in Temple Bar any given weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I'm deeply offended that there are people who aren't deeply offended by this! :mad:

This fragile delicate little womxn surrounded by a pack of large loud brutish MEN, using all kinds of unsavoury language no doubt and ready to attack and ravage her if she didn't play along!
    Why, she must have been petrified out of her wits, poor thing. I'd imagine she's taken to her bed, safe amongst her fluffy cushions and frilly throws, never to leave the safety of her home again. :(

There's only one answer to this and I think we all know it: Ban Men!
    Only then will womxn be free to go about their lives in peace.

I'm deeply offended that there are people who aren't deeply offended by this! :mad:

This fragile delicate little womxn surrounded by a pack of large loud brutish MEN, using all kinds of unsavoury language no doubt and ready to attack and ravage her if she didn't play along!
    Why, she must have been petrified out of her wits, poor thing. I'd imagine she's taken to her bed, safe amongst her fluffy cushions and frilly throws, never to leave the safety of her home again. :(

Are you purposefully censoring the word man when you type the word woman? That's pretty good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Side A - Someone else could have been intimidated and scared by this, maybe react in a bad way. People in that group may have been too drunk and too rowdy, to the point that she could have been mobbed and assaulted. Maybe she was pressured into revealing what she bought, because with 200 men in your face, it might be a little difficult to refuse.

Side B - It was all in good intentions, a bit of harmless fun. The woman in question didn't mind the experience, which in the end, she could have said that is was horrible, objectifying and embarrassing, but she didn't. So we take her word on that.

I think myself that if it were a different woman who was threatened or what not, then it may have been painted in a bad way. Once she was let walk away peacefully without any altercations, then great. It was never their intentions (imo) to put the fear of god in someone. Just to have a laugh, and I think if she reacted badly then the crowd wouldn't have. I like to think so anyway.
    People in other countries are more relaxed than Ireland as a whole (catholic generation n'all) in general. I get the feeling over here, the lady would be shamed after been filmed and jeered coming out of a lingerie shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Are you purposefully censoring the word man when you type the word woman? That's pretty good.

Of course. The word "woman" was designed by the Patriarchy to degrade womxn.

Yakult wrote: »
    People in other countries are more relaxed than Ireland as a whole (catholic generation n'all) in general. I get the feeling over here, the lady would be shamed after been filmed and jeered coming out of a lingerie shop.

Not sure if that would happen but you've strayed into an interesting area. Isn't the fact that it was a lingerie shop interesting? Like, does it say something about the Catholic upbringing many of those lads would have had? A childishness around people buying underwear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Personally, I don't find this behaviour ok.

Th gorilla type chanting is quite aggressive. A lot of people would not like this coming out of a shop. You should not have to put up with it.

Irish people would go ballistic if other countries came here and behaved like that.

I don't like these videos, even the title. "Hilarious" Whats hilarious about it?

It's downright embarrassing. The usual excuse ' the boys in green were having the craic"

It kind of shows what a repressed country we are if people are baying and chanting over someone buying underwear.

It's hardly a hanging offence, but can see how people would not get the "joke"

the hilarious bit for me is the Op who Turned off the radio in "absolute" anger he was that outraged. Absolute anger is very serious. It's very middle aged and repressed to turn off the radio in absolute anger. Should have rang Joe. It's disgrace Joe, they objected to showing me their knickers!

Imagine, the gall of a womxn who does not want to show her knickers to the boys in green as they communicate using monkey impressions against the window. It's a disgrace, it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭RubyGlee

Seriously?? People think that’s funny. They look like fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Or maybe ask them to kindly bear in mind that as they evolved from Apes a very long time ago, it's ok now not to have to grunt like a gorilla?

Womxn?

Ah come on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Carlow, we'd like to hear from someone from Carlow...

Well Dympna, the questions just didn't suit you today, thats the way it goes

*Ads, more ads*

News, weather, ads

1 song, (the Lighthouse Family, or Coldplay remix)

rinse and repaet

• Advertisement
Advertisement