Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Reminds me of the sex shop sketches on some tv show years ago ahhhh I dunno!?!?
    anyway they'd wait for someone to go into a sex shop.
    And when the person was inside, the crew would rush over, set up a BIG 'thing' with balloons all around and a man standing there with a microphone and some other stand ins..
    When the poor unfortunate came out he/she would be cheered and rushed by people camera flashing etc etc and congratulated for being that sex shops 1,000,000 customer or something or other.. Know what I mean.
    It was foookin hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sounds like you're making that up, Sam. Sure if there was the TV show like that we'd all have heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sounds like you're making that up, Sam. Sure if there was the TV show like that we'd all have heard of it.

How would you have heard about it?
    Shir it was only the people outside the sex shop that knew about it ahhhhhh hahaha ahhhhh hahaha :P

I'm only messing with ya, was posted twice (1,2) already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think I would feel a bit embarrassed and a tiny bit vulnerable if I was in that lady's position, I don't know if I would feel comfortable engaging with the lads. HOWEVER, she clearly didn't mind at all so why are people desperate to get offended on her behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

erica74 wrote: »
    I think I would feel a bit embarrassed and a tiny bit vulnerable if I was in that lady's position, I don't know if I would feel comfortable engaging with the lads. HOWEVER, she clearly didn't mind at all so why are people desperate to get offended on her behalf.

Well personally, I’m not. I’m just saying that she sort of had to be alright with it. If she’d lost her shit, she’d have a crowd of people laughing at her. And unbeknownst to her, that freak out would end up on Youtube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We can't sanitise everything. And if we did, I don't think we would like the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Sweet Jesus when did women turn pathetic ????

I'm off to have that op Cher' s kid had. I'd hate to think anyone thought I was like that just for being a bird. Ffs.

Sweet Jesus when did women turn pathetic ????

Not being comfortable with that situation is pathetic if one found themselves in it? It's not even about women for me. I could see a guy being uncomfortable too in a similar scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Seriously?? People think that’s funny. They look like fools

Agreed 100%, i cringe everytime i hear of the wonderful irish soccer fans,
    they are usually not the most intelligent of sorts, just on a weekend pi*s up.
    Why shout at a woman at all, it's a gang against one, not nice, for male or female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

When she went into the shop the crowds where there, all having the "craic"( or so thry think)So she knew they'd be there when she came out, if she was that type of shy/retiring lady, she wouldnt have gone in to that shop that day or gone in and waited until things calmed down. Christ this outrage is gone to far..... how many of this outraged crowd have gone on a hens night/weekend and took the other piss out of the local lads and not batted an eye lid with some of the crazy bat sh*t they do for fun. World gone to pc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well personally, I’m not. I’m just saying that she sort of had to be alright with it. If she’d lost her shit, she’d have a crowd of people laughing at her. And unbeknownst to her, that freak out would end up on Youtube!

Heaps of assumptions and 'what ifs'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

OP is offended at someone who is offended by something done that didn't cause offence to the person in question...

Two wrongs really don't make a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Trigger Happy TV with Dom Joly. BBC show from the 90's or early 00's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

anewme wrote: »
    the hilarious bit for me is the Op who Turned off the radio in "absolute" anger he was that outraged. Absolute anger is very serious. It's very middle aged and repressed to turn off the radio in absolute anger. Should have rang Joe. It's disgrace Joe, they objected to showing me their knickers!

Already posted this on page one but here it comes again!
    Omackeral wrote: »
    I wrote that thread title to get a reaction exactly like this from the likes of you.

Sure what's the need to ring Joe, have plenty of people frothing at the mouth right here on the thread, from both sides. Just pull the pin off the grenade and toss it in :P

• Advertisement

Not being comfortable with that situation is pathetic if one found themselves in it? It's not even about women for me. I could see a guy being uncomfortable too in a similar scenario.

I wasn't referring to the woman in the video. She's sound.

I'm referring to the "but what if it was dark and they had their lads out... it could have been gang rape".

Off the stage ffs.

Keyzer wrote: »
    OP is offended at someone who is offended by something done that didn't cause offence to the person in question...

Two wrongs really don't make a right.

Except OP is not actually offended, as stated here;
    But no in all honestly I'm not offended. I just find it baffling how there's always a victim in nearly everything these days, even when there's literally not one here. In this instance, not one person had a bad time, everyone had fun and it was light hearted and joyful. Then someone has to come along and search for a victim angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Barlett wrote: »
    The only downside of potentially qualifying for the World Cup next year in my opinion will be the flooding of the internet of Irish fans looking to outdo each other in the 'look how sound Irish fans are' video stakes.
    This post has been deleted.

or the skinheads

iirc weren't the irish attacked in moscow during a WC qualifier many moons ago ?

I wasn't referring to the woman in the video. She's sound.

I'm referring to the "but what if it was dark and they had their lads out... it could have been gang rape".

Off the stage ffs.

Oh right. Who said that?

Donal55 wrote: »
    Heaps of assumptions and 'what ifs'.

No “what if” to the fact that she went outside and that just happened to her. And was filmed. Whether or not she would have been okay with it, it was going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I find it gas at times some of the comments and views about Irish fans abroad for sport.

At times there are cringey moments alright but I'd much rather stories of cringey signing/dancing/chanting than stories of fans going around thrashing a place, fighting and racist chanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Of course I hope Ireland win tonight.

But it will be some consolation if we get knocked out that we won't have to be subjected to these videos for another 2 or 3 weeks listening to some tell us how fabulous it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://forum.ybig.ie/best-fans-in-the-world_topic55864_page1.html

Plenty of insight into the chimps behaviour at the weekend.

Seems like the sex pests harassing women were nothing compare to the incidents of sexual assault.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Seems like the sex pests harassing women were nothing compare to the incidents of sexual assault.
    Oddly enough the Copenhagen police had a different take on it.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1113/919589-ireland-fans/

Yes it's almost as if the people policing the streets saw something that the self hating poster on YBIG didn't!

Wasn't at the event myself so can't comment on it specifically, this would be the first I've heard of anything along the lines of sexual harassment, something I've been lucky enough not to see or experience when I've travelled for anything.

From my experience in travelling to other events like other Irish football games, Rugby, Concerts, Motorsport, some people will tag along with no interest other than just going for a piss up, this isn't something unique solely to the Irish football fans. While you will always get some idiots there I would think that overall Irish fans tend to do themselves proud in terms of behaviour.

On the overall behaviour of the fans at the weekend, like the poster above mentioned the police had praised it, and after the violence that was seen during the Denmark Poland game last September the police were obviously concerned about how last weekend would go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Already posted this on page one but here it comes again!

Sure what's the need to ring Joe, have plenty of people frothing at the mouth right here on the thread, from both sides. Just pull the pin off the grenade and toss it in :P

To be fair, I dont see frothing at the mouth from both sides. the people who dont agree just think they were a pack of tools and there was no need for it. Not everyone would appreciate being jeered coming out of a shop (man or woman) by a bunch of drunk idiots. Imagine a load of English boozed up fans shouting at people coming out of shops on O'Connell Street, there would be killings!

The odd reactions are conspiracy type people who dont recognise women any more, rather womxn (how do you prounce that) wom-ex-n ? and think everyone is out to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Okay, another view shows that there are a good few people there, crowding around the door. Jebus! :eek:

If she went in after seeing that crowd, she was probably totally fine with it. But if she was in there for a while and that happened in the interim...

I would really hate that attention, but yeah I'd avoid it if I approached the shop and saw that crowd.

That's basically the gist of my initial post that you were so confused about (hence the penny dropping).

There no way in hell she entered the shop on a deserted street and exited to the #bfitw unless she tried on every item in the shop.

Jesus that's some grim reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mallow News‏
    @MallowNews
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    BREAKING Scores of Danish fans have gathered round the ladies toilets in Arnotts and are asking anyone coming out if they went ‘number two’ #2ndBestFansInTheWorld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I find it gas at times some of the comments and views about Irish fans abroad for sport.

At times there are cringey moments alright but I'd much rather stories of cringey signing/dancing/chanting than stories of fans going around thrashing a place, fighting and racist chanting.
    I 100% agree with this. Football fans are treated pretty terribly at times by authorities but we've had authorities actively praise our fans. In a world where there are Channel 4 documentaries singling out football fans on trains causing problems it's nice to be seen in a positive light. Football fans are treated as automatically guilty in the eyes of some. 

Due to football being one of the most popular sports in the world the fans are more likely to be a reflection of the society they are living in. Most of the problems with football fans behaviour is a wider societal issue. 

It's really got to an odd stage when we start analyzing the fun being had by supporters.

In regards to the original point about the fans outside Victoria Secrets, if someone is embarrassed by that (which could easily happen and would be understandable) is it really going to life altering embarrassment? We've all been embarrassed at some stage in life, if you haven't then you've really led a sheltered life. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

If I was discussing this situation with my daughter, I'd be focusing on the confident, fun loving Danish woman, as a wonderful example to women everywhere.

A marketing guru for Victoria's Secret should use it in a campaign, associating a smart, powerful woman, who is comfortable in the spotlight, with their brand.

Much more positive then Irish male bashing. I'm shocked at the lack of faith in the amount of common decency amongst Irish men.

There were plenty of female Irish fans outside that pub too BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

these lads and their bantz - crowd of moronic fu*king chimps really.

After Euro2016 and all those 'mad' lads and their videos; each away trip is going to be an exercise in trying to be the most 'craic'...

gang of fools

but better that than widespread rioting like our neighbors

Lot of anti football bias creeping in here from the GAA lads I'd say.

"Crowd of football fans in un-PC shocker"

Nokotan wrote: »

Due to football being one of the most popular sports in the world the fans are more likely to be a reflection of the society they are living in. Most of the problems with football fans behaviour is a wider societal issue.

Have to say I agree hugely with this point here.

There is a lot of talk of drunken behaviour as if it is just specific to Irish football fans. If you go out in Dublin or most other towns/city on a weekend you'll see people falling around drunk, throwing up, fighting and of course people using drugs. It's much wider of a problem.

The reason why Irish fans are normally praised is while there are some who go just for a drinking session, generally the fans don't appear to cause much trouble for local authorities. Of course some individual experiences can vary but I'm referring to travelling Irish fans as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

People justifying this incident as 'craic' - whatever that means- don't seem to understand that it's fundementally childish, and a bit creepy.

I remember a video that went viral during euro 2016 where some lads were singing to an elderly french nun on a train - making sure that it was being recorded of course. One of them approached her, grabbed her hands and started mock dancing. I found that very creepy, as I do this incident. And it's not about being offended - I'm not; I'm embarrassed.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Have to say I agree hugely with this point here.

There is a lot of talk of drunken behaviour as if it is just specific to Irish football fans. If you go out in Dublin or most other towns/city on a weekend you'll see people falling around drunk, throwing up, fighting and of course people using drugs. It's much wider of a problem.

The reason why Irish fans are normally praised is while there are some who go just for a drinking session, generally the fans don't appear to cause much trouble for local authorities. Of course some individual experiences can vary but I'm referring to travelling Irish fans as a whole.

If all we do is hang round outside a knicker shop when England have dozens arrested then we're grand.

lawred2 wrote: »
    these lads and their bantz - crowd of moronic fu*king chimps really.

After Euro2016 and all those 'mad' lads and their videos; each away trip is going to be an exercise in trying to be the most 'craic'...

Half of these people see it as a Stag weekend or something. Leprechaun hats plus add in a Father Ted quote onto a flag mixed with a group of them 'serenading' a local in an attempt to 'go viral' and all you can do is feel sorry for the proper football fans, the likes of who will be at the Georgia and Macedonia type of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Saw some of the press conference with Martin O'Neill and David Meyler on the news.
    Journos asking Meyler about a potential penalty shoot-out.

Is the team prepared for a shoot out?
    Yes.
    (journos sense the humour at him being blunt)

Have you taken some yourself?
    Yes.
    (more laughter)

Did you score?
    Yes.
    (even more laughter)

Then this clown Martin O'Neill, ruins the moment, when he chimes in with "but...he missed some as well!!!"

Way to motivate your players, Martin.

Remember the Simpsons episode where Lisa could predict the results in Football games? That little snippet made me worried about the team winning the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The state of yer man going through her knicker bag. Christ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wombatman wrote: »
    If I was discussing this situation with my daughter, I'd be focusing on the confident, fun loving Danish woman, as a wonderful example to women everywhere.

A marketing guru for Victoria's Secret should use it in a campaign, associating a smart, powerful woman, who is comfortable in the spotlight, with their brand.

I think Victoria's Secret sees itself as a bit classier than having to market itself by using a few sexually suppressed coked up Irish Bantermonsters.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Trigger Happy TV with Dom Joly. BBC show from the 90's or early 00's
    Eh, two posts later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don’t think any police force in the world sees every crime committed within its jurdistriction.

Fair play to you for sweeping sexual assault under the carpet though.

Where do you work? BBC or RC Church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

PARlance wrote: »
    I think Victoria's Secret sees itself as a bit classier than having to market itself by using a few sexually suppressed coked up Irish Bantermonsters.

I'm not advocating focusing on the fans.

Sexually suppressed???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I don’t think any police force in the world sees every crime committed within its jurdistriction.

Fair play to you for sweeping sexual assault under the carpet though.

Where do you work? BBC or RC Church?

Sexual assault ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wombatman wrote: »
    I'm not advocating focusing on the fans.

Sexually suppressed???

Theres one or two of those lads gawking round the front door, that its fair to say standing outside Victorias Secret is probably the nearest they will ever get to a womans knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ivan Yates had 'Davy Keogh says hello' on to defend the fans, he actually introduced him as that, sure he's the leader of the idiot army.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Jesus that's some grim reading.

Yeah, the grammar is awful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement