Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ivan Yates had 'Davy Keogh says hello' on to defend the fans, he actually introduced him as that, sure he's the leader of the idiot army.

Here's a very good post from that ybig forum
    The boys in this group now are the joe.ie, viral video seeking, "we are here to take over" immature clowns. The reality is that most of them are probably very insecure and follow their mates like absolute sheep (I suppose we did that too at some point). Anyone who craves attention and more importantly validation from a staged video outside some Irish bar isn't really being themselves in my opinion. Which is a shame. The sense of adventure on away days must be lost as these lads are too busy trying to visualise and manufacture something with a smart phone for the "craic". Last summer in Bordeaux, myself and my mate had an amazing time bar hopping in the old town, meeting loads of sound Irish and Belgium fans. We had other mates who refused to go anywhere other than the Connemara. Such is life I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

anewme wrote: »
    Theres one or two of those lads gawking round the front door, that its fair to say standing outside Victorias Secret is probably the nearest they will ever get to a womans knickers.

Have to love the casual sexism against men here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I don’t think any police force in the world sees every crime committed within its jurdistriction.

Fair play to you for sweeping sexual assault under the carpet though.

Where do you work? BBC or RC Church?

What police station was the sexual assault reported to and how did the press find out?

What police station was the sexual assault reported to and how did the press find out?

I imagine its sexual assault 2.0 - Millennial Version.

Anything from not liking Taylor Swift's hairdo to saying "nice jeans".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Maybe Martin O'Neill has a point making the team play ****e, so that the world doesn't have to suffer the "great craic" antics the fans get up to just to get YouTube likes.

Greatest fans in the world?? Only half of them seem to know a match is on ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sexual assault ?????

Did you read the ybig thread about Irish fans groping women? :rolleyes:

Who said it was reported and who said the press found out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The unsubstantiated hearsay?

Silly me, I forgot a single post on the internet was evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

https://forum.ybig.ie/best-fans-in-the-world_topic55864_page1.html

Plenty of insight into the chimps behaviour at the weekend.

Seems like the sex pests harassing women were nothing compare to the incidents of sexual assault.

The vast majority of fans are fine.
    It is the morons who will earn us a bad name in the end.
    Yes it's almost as if the people policing the streets saw something that the self hating poster on YBIG didn't!

AH FFS.
    Were you the one who posted the reply "it's all a bit of craic" ?

There now seems to be some "fans" who just want to go to away games and treat them as stag dos.
    They of course want to video themselves doing something "cool", but more often than not doing something cringey, then they get so sh** faced that they can't actually stand up never mind watch the games.

Even worse are the fookers who think supporting Ireland gives them the right to grab any passing female as was evidenced by the accounts on YBIG.
    That is not cool and it definitely is not "the craic".
    Lot of anti football bias creeping in here from the GAA lads I'd say.

I could say grow up.
    And there can be some right fooking spanners at GAA games for your information.
    Now they don't get the opportunity to go foreign for a few days and go on a multi day bender, but nevertheless you still get the muppets.

Getting pi**ed drunk and acting the gobsh*te comes very naturally to some Irish people.
    It was a reputation we earned in UK and US which led to an Irish stereotype.
    We had largely actually through our soccer fans dispelled it, but now some seen intent on resurrecting it through their sh*tty behaviour.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Harmless, albeit adolescent behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I wonder how many ladies decided to give that shop a swerve on Saturday with all the sex pests swarming around outside?

Will the same losers be repeating the act tomorrow in Dublin?
    :rolleyes:

Sex pests? Cop on will yaa ffs.... Lads on the p1ss , singing songs outside a pub, that happens to have an underwear shop beside it.....

Would you prefer them to wreck the street instead ? Then you could lose your rag with some justification ....
    #Butterfly #OutragedPermanantley

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Is it just me now wondering what the tone of this thread would be like if the "lads" had happened to be Muslims?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Is it just me now wondering what the tone of this thread would be like if the "lads" had happened to be Muslims?

Oh I think we can guess given the deafening silence after Cologne.

Who said it was reported and who said the press found out?

Who said there www a sexual assault? You believe a single post by a WUM on coybig....
    I wonder

Who said there www a sexual assault? You believe a single post by a WUM on coybig....
    I wonder

Well given that the Beeb cancelled a Xmas Day show they'd spent millions on because of one unsubstantiated allegation - I guess that's how the world works now.

See ya due process, we tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Good chance some of them were Muslims. Third biggest religion in Ireland.

Some people can't see past the stereotypical soccer 'lad' fan. Irish soccer fans are young and old, male and female, from all over the country and span all social strata.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Good chance some of them were Muslims. Third biggest religion in Ireland.

Some people can't see past the stereotypical soccer 'lad' fan. Irish soccer fans are young and old, male and female, from all over the country and span all social strata.

Hear hear!

Well I don't think they'd all be on the p*ss now would they? That's some leap you're performing by the way to weirdly shoehorn an islamophobe angle in, hopefully you've done your stretches before hand because it's quite a reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I wonder

It is not just one poster on coybig, but there a couple of accounts of really sh*tty behaviour.
    Some mention behaviour by fans on a flight.

Actually your whole attitude to attacking anyone that voices concerns reminds me of our An Garda Siochana where the immediate response to someone spilling the beans is to attack them.
    greenspurs wrote: »
    Sex pests? Cop on will yaa ffs.... Lads on the p1ss , singing songs outside a pub, that happens to have an underwear shop beside it.....

Would you prefer them to wreck the street instead ? Then you could lose your rag with some justification ....

I don't think anyone can label the lads outside the shop as sex pests, but the stories elsewhere of guys grabbing young women in a bar or abusing a stewardess on an airplane most definitely are closer to that description.

Looking at some of those stories it aint going to be long before some Irish fans or other are all over some British tabloid for being turfed off a flight and being shoved on a no fly list or for being arrested for an assault on someone whilst away.
    They will just love to dispel the idea of the happy friendly good natured Irish fan.
    It can be very easy to lose a good reputation.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    It is not just one poster on coybig, but there a couple of accounts of really sh*tty behaviour.
    Some mention behaviour by fans on a flight.

Actually your whole attitude to attacking anyone that voices concerns reminds me of our An Garda Siochana where the immediate response to someone spilling the beans is to attack them.

I don't think anyone can label the lads outside the shop as sex pests, but the stories elsewhere of guys grabbing young women in a bar or abusing a stewardess on an airplane most definitely are closer to that description.

Looking at some of those stories it aint going to be long before some Irish fans or other are all over some British tabloid for being turfed off a flight and being shoved on a no fly list or for being arrested for an assault on someone whilst away.
    They will just love to dispel the idea of the happy friendly good natured Irish fan.
    It can be very easy to lose a good reputation.

It seems unsubstantiated claims are spreading doesn't it...and added whataboutery for good measure ;)

No, it was gobshytes standing outside a lingerie shop harrassing the female customers. But sure it's only Joe.ie approved bantz, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

You get to a point when you see/hear so many of these 'Irish fans having the craic' stories that you just think: cringe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I find it gas at times some of the comments and views about Irish fans abroad for sport.

At times there are cringey moments alright but I'd much rather stories of cringey signing/dancing/chanting than stories of fans going around thrashing a place, fighting and racist chanting.

Believe it or not, it’s not either or. You don’t have to fall into either category.

milehip wrote: »
    That's basically the gist of my initial post that you were so confused about (hence the penny dropping).

There no way in hell she entered the shop on a deserted street and exited to the #bfitw unless she tried on every item in the shop.

It is very easy to spend an hour in a shop like that. Plenty of time for a crowd to gather. I’ve worked in bars that have gone from zero to heaving in much, much less time. So my objection to your post still stands.

• Advertisement

No, it was gobshytes standing outside a lingerie shop harrassing the female customers. But sure it's only Joe.ie approved bantz, isn't it?

Did the lady seem offended ? Afraid? Embarrassed? Harassed ?
    It didnt look like she was in the video !
    And she said in an interview afterwards that it was funny....

But well done on being Outraged/harassed on her behalf .......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Believe it or not, it’s not either or. You don’t have to fall into either category.

Believe it or not, I never said it had to be. You don't have to fall into either category, but a few cringey videos of people looking for attention isn't the worst case scenario.

Believe it or not, I never said it had to be. You don't have to fall into either category, but a few cringey videos of people looking for attention isn't the worst case scenario.

You’d rather one to the other. I’d rather neither.

Plus, in a separate point to your post, why is a big deal made of Irish fans behaving well in other countries? Shouldn’t that be an expectation? There are only a handful of countries for whom a small minority of their football fans cause trouble. The rest behave themselves. So why do some people seem to want a pat on the back for NOT committing public order offences? Er... well done?

You’d rather one to the other. I’d rather neither.

Quite baffling really. I can understand people being up in arms about terrible behaviour but do these cringey videos really upset you this much if they aren't hurting anyone in the process? You aren't forced to watch them or be a part of them, you can simply choose to ignore them.

Plus, in a separate point to your post, why is a big deal made of Irish fans
    behaving well in other countries? Shouldn’t that be an expectation? There
    are only a handful of countries for whom a small minoroty of their football fans
    cause trouble. The rest behave themselves. So why do some people seem to want a
    pat on the back for NOT committing public order offences? Er... well done?

Another baffling remark to me if I'm being honest. The police tweeted a compliment because the last international match Denmark hosted there had been violence between supporters and police.

Surely the whole idea of praising positive or good behaviour is about encouraging it?

Another baffling remark to me if I'm being honest. The police tweeted a compliment because the last international match Denmark hosted there had been violence between supporters and police.

Surely the whole idea of praising positive or good behaviour is about encouraging it?

As said, football fans who cause problems are the exception rather than the rule. England fans, Russian fans, a few Eastern European countries. And even then only a minority. Can you think of any others?

So yes, behaving well is the norm and should be an expectation. Not something you pat yourself on the back over. What about this concept “baffles” you?

Oh and, as I said earlier in the thread, I actually found these types of videos impossible to avoid during the Euros and, believe me, I was trying. The internet was flooded with them and I’m not going to avoid my social pages for a few weeks. Friends were sharing them etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Personally, I would think less of those men. If for nothing more than being complete fools.

Personally, I would think less of those men. If for nothing more than being complete fools.

They just look a bit gormless, don’t they?

You would think less ? Less than what ? What is your standard?
    Comparing the Irish fans to ... English fans ? Polish ? Russian ? Chinese ? Welsh?
    And i dont think they are "complete fools" for going on an away trip, drinking beer and singing songs, as these lads in the video are doing!
    The 'lads' that are acting the cnuts by fighting would be the complete fools imo.

Snowflakes with keyboards :rolleyes: Outrageous i tell ya ..

They just look a bit gormless, don’t they?

They look like they're having a good time to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hope the serial groper is brought to task by Ireland fans the next time he is spotted. Scumbag.

Also sick of all these aren't we the greatest fans in the world articles. Yes, I bloody well know we have fantastic fans, no need to put a fcuking article in the paper after every trip saying how loved we are. Pure cringe!

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/you-represented-your-country-in-the-best-way-danish-fan-says-green-army-did-ireland-proud-in-copenhagen-36317787.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You would think less ? Less than what ? What is your standard?
    Comparing the Irish fans to ... English fans ? Polish ? Russian ? Chinese ? Welsh?
    And i dont think they are "complete fools" for going on an away trip, drinking beer and singing songs, as these lads in the video are doing!
    The 'lads' that are acting the cnuts by fighting would be the complete fools imo.

Snowflakes with keyboards :rolleyes: Outrageous i tell ya ..

Obviously they are better than the Russian fans going around smashing everyone's heads in with brass knuckles. Irish fans behave quite well compared to most countries. If this is the worse they do, then we can count ourselves quite lucky.

But that doesn't mean they aren't acting like fools. If anybody I knew was there I would be embarrassed. Not because they're singing or drinking but because they are grown men acting like 12 year olds.

Omackeral wrote: »
    They look like they're having a good time to me.

Oh sure, they are certainly enjoying themselves. But they still look gormless.

As said, football fans who cause problems are the exception rather than the rule. England fans, Russian fans, a few Eastern European countries. And even then only a minority. Can you think of any others?

What has this got to do with my post? I said I would understand people complaining about fans if they were going over doing that.
    So yes, behaving well is the norm and should be an expectation. Not something you pat yourself on the back over. What about this concept “baffles” you?

What baffles me is it's not even their behaviour your criticising here, just the fact that they get praised for it, or if they are happy with themselves, as you feel they don't warrant any praise for something that should be expected. To me it's a bit of a crazy thing to be annoyed about.
    Oh and, as I said earlier in the thread, I actually found these types of videos impossible to avoid during the Euros and, believe me, I was trying. The internet was flooded with them and I’m not going to avoid my social pages for a few weeks. Friends were sharing them etc.

Everyone has friends who share stuff on the internet they don't want to see. If you're referring to FB you can click on options to not show posts from certain pages etc, but either way it's such a small inconvenience to normal everyday life I don't see the point in getting overly upset about it all. I have friends who are constantly sharing videos and pictures of shows for example that I don't like. Doesn't mean I'm going to become outraged that they're there, I'm not forced to watch them.

Personally think some people just like something to be annoyed with, and these cringey sort of videos online of fans doing good deeds or silly songs are just what the doctor ordered to fill that void.

It's quite clear you and I are completely different people. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong about the above but there's really not much more I have to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

First video looked fun and relatively harmless. Second video where the supporters are all crowded around looked creepy.

What baffles me is it's not even their behaviour your criticising here, just the fact that they get praised for it, or if they are happy with themselves, as you feel they don't warrant any praise for something that should be expected. To me it's a bit of a crazy thing to be annoyed about.

Everyone gets annoyed by inconsequential stuff. Absolutely everyone. You seem pretty annoyed by my post, for example. For me, looking for praise for behaving like an normal adult should is absolutely cringeworthy stuff.
    Everyone has friends who share stuff on the internet they don't want to see. If you're referring to FB you can click on options to not show posts from certain pages etc, but either way it's such a small inconvenience to normal everyday life I don't see the point in getting overly upset about it all. I have friends who are constantly sharing videos and pictures of shows for example that I don't like. Doesn't mean I'm going to become outraged that they're there, I'm not forced to watch them.

Yup and even with taking those measures, I still could not avoid those videos.

I think the word 'outrage' needs to be retired from the internet for a while. Though to be honest, you seem very het up yourself here. Maybe don't so readily call others outraged? You seem staggered that someone has a different viewpoint to you. Yes, we are different people.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    First video looked fun and relatively harmless. Second video where the supporters are all crowded around looked creepy.

It's mad how two different angles of the same event can be so different!

I think the word 'outrage' needs to be retired from the internet for a while. Though to be honest, you seem very het up yourself here. Maybe don't so readily call others outraged? You seem staggered that someone has a different viewpoint to you. Yes, we are different people.

That's it Dara, you've got my number ;)

Enjoy your day.

That's it Dara, you've got my number ;)

Enjoy your day.

Winky smiley deployed, betraying your feelings. I do indeed have your number.

For me, looking for praise for behaving like an normal adult should is absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

Praise was given by the police of Copenhagen, not asked for. Praise was given by the Mayor of Poznan, not asked for. The likes of Joe.ie make heroes out of them and they play up to that a bit I'd say, but that's the height of it. It's harmless in the long run, even if it is annoying.

Haha I have to admit that did make me chuckle.

Praise was given by the police of Copenhagen, not asked for. Praise was given by the Mayor of Poznan, not asked for. The likes of Joe.ie make heroes out of them and they play up to that a bit I'd say, but that's the height of it. It's harmless in the long run, even if it is annoying.

And anyone that goes to the Aviva will tell you , all these "SuperFans/Best in the World dont go to home matches. Its like a mortuary most games.

Here's a number for you, 41. It's your number of posts in this thread, the most of everyone. You secretly love the fans. Post posts for the Boys in Green!!! :D

And anyone that goes to the Aviva will tell you , all these "SuperFans/Best in the World dont go to home matches. Its like a mortuary most games.

Imagine them doing an away to Finn Harps in late March. No glamour, no inflatable hammers, no social media love in, just honest bread n butter football. Sure why would you bother your balls?!

I get ya.

Joe.ie and the other few sites are what spoil it, IMO, by going overboard.

OK, I guess here's what annoys me. I'm an Irish person and I'm well-behaved. I don't want a pat on the head for that. Most Irish people are every bit as refined and mannerly as continental Europeans and I feel like the paddywhackery that Joe.ie and its ilk promote casts us in a sort of Jester role, the lovable eejits of Europe. I think that's why some of us have such a strong reaction to the needy, self-aware fan videos that flood the internet during football tournaments. They are just a small portion of Ireland fans.

It's because I love Irish people than this stuff annoys me, not because I hate Irish people!

• Advertisement

I get ya.

Joe.ie and the other few sites are what spoil it, IMO, by going overboard.

OK, I guess here's what annoys me. I'm an Irish person and I'm well-behaved. I don't want a pat on the head for that. Most Irish people are every bit as refined and mannerly as continental Europeans and I feel like the paddywhackery that Joe.ie and its ilk promote casts us in a sort of Jester role, the lovable eejits of Europe. I think that's why some of us have such a strong reaction to the needy, self-aware fan videos that flood the internet during football tournaments. They are just a small portion of Ireland fans.

It's because I love Irish people than this stuff annoys me, not because I hate Irish people!

Its the football fans equivalent of Selfies , - "looking great hon , mwah"

Just ignore em, and concentrate on how bad we play :)
    COYBIG ......

Advertisement