Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I get ya.

Joe.ie and the other few sites are what spoil it, IMO, by going overboard.

OK, I guess here's what annoys me. I'm an Irish person and I'm well-behaved. I don't want a pat on the head for that. Most Irish people are every bit as refined and mannerly as continental Europeans and I feel like the paddywhackery that Joe.ie and its ilk promote casts us in a sort of Jester role, the lovable eejits of Europe. I think that's why some of us have such a strong reaction to the needy, self-aware fan videos that flood the internet during football tournaments. They are just a small portion of Ireland fans.

It's because I love Irish people than this stuff annoys me, not because I hate Irish people!

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I get ya.

OK, I guess here's what annoys me. I'm an Irish person and I'm well-behaved. I don't want a pat on the head for that. Most Irish people are every bit as refined and mannerly as continental Europeans and I feel like the paddywhackery that Joe.ie and its ilk promote casts us in a sort of Jester role, the lovable eejits of Europe. I think that's why some of us have such a strong reaction to the needy, self-aware fan videos that flood the internet during football tournaments. They are just a small portion of Ireland fans.

It's because I love Irish people than this stuff annoys me, not because I hate Irish people!

I agree with all of that. Good post. Another thing that annoys me is that ''oh we're such good craic'' but it's so easy to be great craic when everyone speaks English to accommodate you. You chat away to Czechs, Germans or Danes and shure aren't ya a great lad. The craic like. It's so easy for us and we don't even realise it. The Swiss could be having a ball in any of their multitude of languages but we simply wouldn't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I get ya.

100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

greenspurs wrote: »
    Its the football fans equivalent of Selfies , - "looking great hon , mwah"

Just ignore em, and concentrate on how bad we play :)
    COYBIG ......

Yes, COYBIG!!!

Yes, COYBIG!!!

Stop looking for a pat on the back with your big colourful letters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I get ya.

Have you been to an away match out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yes, COYBIG!!!

Jaysis, youre great craic boy ....

Someone tell Joe.ie ....... :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

OnDraught wrote: »
    Have you been to an away match out of interest?

I'm a fantastically broke cancer patient so no. And before that, my career had not taken off and I was broke then too. My whole adult life, I've been broke. And I have never been one to bankrupt myself to take trips of any kind.

I don't understand the away match measure. My hubs is the least fair-weather Ireland fan you can think of. Very knowledgeable too. But he hasn't been to an away match ever for a multitude of reasons. Does that make him less of a fan? Many of the people who travel for the games are just going for a weekend away which is grand, by the way. Have at it. But let's not pretend that they are all the best fans.

I'm a fantastically broke cancer patient so no. And before that, my career had not taken off and I was broke then too. My whole adult life, I've been broke. And I have never been one to bankrupt myself to take trips of any kind.

I don't understand the away match measure. My hubs is the least fair-weather Ireland fan you can think of. Very knowledgeable too. But he hasn't been to an away match ever for a multitude of reasons. Does that make him less of a fan? Many of the people who travel for the games are just going for a weekend away which is grand, by the way. Have at it. But let's not pretend that they are all the best fans.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope things are looking up for you.

I wasn’t questioning you or anyone that doesn’t travels support of the team.

I do think everyone commenting on what goes on when they have never been is a bit like having an opinion on Santa Ponsa because they saw their cousins pictures on Facebook. It’s not representative of the full experience.

OnDraught wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that. I hope things are looking up for you.

I wasn’t questioning you or anyone that doesn’t travels support of the team.

I do think everyone commenting on what goes on when they have never been is a bit like having an opinion on Santa Ponsa because they say their cousins pictures on Facebook. It’s not representative of the full experience.

Of course. That’s what I was saying. Logically one has to conclude that most Ireland fans are nothing like that. There just seems a small attention-seeking contingent. I would absolutely imagine that most fans just get on with drinking and mingling in a much less showy way.

After the Wales game, a poster here posted a video that some Irish lads put up on FB showing their “mad” goal celebration in their living room. It was nothing out of the ordinary but they actually went to the trouble of setting up a camera and filming themselves watching the game. Very strange, self-regarding stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lets say we do qualify tonight.

I wonder how the Russians would take to the BOYSIG.

Probably not too kindly. I could see beatings being doled out.

They wouldn't be too fond of us. They didn't view our neutrality too favourably in the war. Thought we were a bunch of cowards and that the brits were bigger eejits for letting it happen.

They wouldn't be too fond of us. They didn't view our neutrality too favourably in the war. Thought we were a bunch of cowards and that the brits were bigger eejits for letting it happen.

The Polish police were taking no **** from anyone and they still loved us. The Russians will be the same. Money in the bank and no threat of violence. Why would they react any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

They'll be too busy trying to control the English fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

It is very easy to spend an hour in a shop like that. Plenty of time for a crowd to gather. I’ve worked in bars that have gone from zero to heaving in much, much less time. So my objection to your post still stands.

You object to my post? I thought you were confused.

All I commented on was a hypothetical situation where if any women who might have been mortified by such boorish behaviour wouldn't have gone near that street let alone that shop.
    but you seem obsessed by the timeline of the video in question, how long was she in there for? When did the crowd arrive?? Did she pay by credit card? etcetc none of which I commented on. But sure object away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Lots of Danes drinking cheap beer in Temple Bar tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They'll be too busy trying to control the English fans.

Yawn, judging by what happened at the Euros their primary focus will be on their own local gangs, who train for fights at these tournaments. I am an England fan and I know a good few people who have traveled to away games for years. These people, group of 30, set up camp an hour or so away from the city that the game is on to avoid any nonsense but I'm guessing that you would not be interested in hearing about them. Anyway, they will not be going to Russia, they did bother with any away games in this campaign and the same is the case for a good number of people who were away game regulars. I have a feeling that we won't travel to this tournament in great numbers. Fan numbers will be down overall. Cost and the travel distance will be a turn off for people.

Also, Irish fans weren't given too much of a welcome on their second last trip to Russia. I worked with a man, in his 50s at the time and he got a hiding getting off the tram at the game. The same happened to him in Turkey at a game but the media here seems to turn a blind eye to bad behaviour when it comes to Irish away games. He rang Joe Duffy about the Turkey game because they were chased down the streets there but it never made it to air.
    Donal55 wrote: »

€7 a pint? That's probably half price for them.

milehip wrote: »
    You object to my post? I thought you were confused.

All I commented on was a hypothetical situation where if any women who might have been mortified by such boorish behaviour wouldn't have gone near that street let alone that shop.
    but you seem obsessed by the timeline of the video in question, how long was she in there for? When did the crowd arrive?? Did she pay by credit card? etcetc none of which I commented on. But sure object away.

You said she wouldn't go in with such a crowd there if she was the type to be intimidated by that. The timeline is very important. The crowd might not have really been there when she went in. What is so difficult about this? What do you not understand?

Avoiding a whole street? What? There are very few people who would avoid a whole shopping street (which that appears to be) because of a congregation centred on one building on the street. Especially if it wasn't that big when you first arrived.

Depending on how long she was there (and it could have been a good while), there might have been no or only a small crowd. In those circumstances, why would she avoid the place?

Unless it's out of a can there's no cheap beer there. Maybe for them it is I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

You said she wouldn't go in with such a crowd there if she was the type to be intimidated by that. The timeline is very important. The crowd might not have really been there when she went in. What is so difficult about this? What do you not understand?

Avoiding a whole street? What? There are very few people who would avoid a whole shopping street (which that appears to be) because of a congregation centred on one building on the street. Especially if it wasn't that big when you first arrived.

Depending on how long she was there (and it could have been a good while), there might have been no or only a small crowd. In those circumstances, why would she avoid the place?

OK once more for the people in the cheap seats,

I NEVER mentioned the woman in the video, why can't you grasp that?

Re read my post
    I wrote that any woman who would have been mortified by the scenario would have avoided the situation,
    the woman in the video obviously wasn't mortified, so I was neither including her in that hypothesis nor referencing her in any way shape or form.

Round peg,square hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

There's cheap beer in Temple Bar ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

OK once more for the people in the cheap seats,

I NEVER mentioned the woman in the video, why can't you grasp that?

Re read my post
    I wrote that any woman who would have been mortified by the scenario would have avoided the situation,
    the woman in the video obviously wasn't mortified, so I was neither including her in that hypothesis nor referencing her in any way shape or form.

Round peg,square hole.

She probably didn't think they'd be so lame as to carry on like that, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://forum.ybig.ie/best-fans-in-the-world_topic55864_page1.html

Plenty of insight into the chimps behaviour at the weekend.
    thing compare to the incidents of sexual assault.

Just read all of that. Best fans in the world, indeed!! :eek:

Don't think we will hear much of the above in Dinny's rag where they will no doubt continue with the myth that the boys are 'only having the craic'. More like the 'crack', from what I have just read!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well one good thing about tonight...we don't have to go through the nauseating spectacle of irish fans trying to out do each other in youtube videos

"shure look at us aren't we the great craic!" "everyone loves us "

no they don't :cool: you're annoying !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

philstar wrote: »
    well one good thing about tonight...we don't have to go through the nauseating spectacle of irish fans trying to out do each other in youtube videos

And we won't have to listen to that James McClean song either. Would love to know what he thinks about that song.

^^^^^^^^^^

i'm sure he loves it ....makes his living in Britain but hates all things British

what a hypocrite

anewme wrote: »
    Theres one or two of those lads gawking round the front door, that its fair to say standing outside Victorias Secret is probably the nearest they will ever get to a womans knickers.

:D Off their heads on coke probably. (Several fans seen snorting 'white powder' outside The Dubliner'.) Gave them the 'Dutch courage' (pun intended!) to 'greet' women exiting Victoria's Secret, no doubt! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

brooke 2 wrote: »
    :D Off their heads on coke probably. (Several fans seen snorting 'white powder' outside The Dubliner'.) Gave them the 'Dutch courage' (pun intended!) to 'greet' women exiting Victoria's Secret, no doubt! :rolleyes:

‘Dutch courage’? We were planning Denmark, not the Nederlands...

Maybe Martin O'Neill has a point making the team play ****e, so that the world doesn't have to suffer the "great craic" antics the fans get up to just to get YouTube likes.

Greatest fans in the world?? Only half of them seem to know a match is on ffs.

And we don't have to suffer hearing about them on radio and TV! :D

• Advertisement

Re read my post

Sure, they would have avoided it if they knew it was going to happen. But as I've said, many many times, we don't how long that crowd had been there. It would be very easy to enter the shop when the crowd was much smaller and still be there when it had built up. So if that was the case, to avoid the scenario, you'd have to stay in the shop until the crowd dissipated. OR you'd have to leave the shop and to be confronted with that crowd.

If someone entered a shop before a crowd built up and wanted to leave the shop but avoid the crowd, how would you suggest they resolve that?

AND as someone else said, many people wouldn't expect grown adults to behave in such a juvenile manner. Why would any shopper expect that situation to happen?

Silly me, I forgot a single post on the internet was evidence.

Way more than a single one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Sure, they would have avoided it if they knew it was going to happen. But as I've said, many many times, we don't how long that crowd had been there. It would be very easy to enter the shop when the crowd was much smaller and still be there when it had built up. So if that was the case, to avoid the scenario, you'd have to stay in the shop until the crowd dissipated. OR you'd have to leave the shop and to be confronted with that crowd.

If someone entered a shop before a crowd built up and wanted to leave the shop but avoid the crowd, how would you suggest they resolve that?

Back door

^^^^^^^^^^

i'm sure he loves it ....makes his living in Britain but hates all things British

what a hypocrite

Nothing wrong with that . I know people who hate their jobs but still make a living from it.

jmayo wrote: »
    It is not just one poster on coybig, but there a couple of accounts of really sh*tty behaviour.
    Some mention behaviour by fans on a flight.

Actually your whole attitude to attacking anyone that voices concerns reminds me of our An Garda Siochana where the immediate response to someone spilling the beans is to attack them.

I don't think anyone can label the lads outside the shop as sex pests, but the stories elsewhere of guys grabbing young women in a bar or abusing a stewardess on an airplane most definitely are closer to that description.

Looking at some of those stories it aint going to be long before some Irish fans or other are all over some British tabloid for being turfed off a flight and being shoved on a no fly list or for being arrested for an assault on someone whilst away.
    They will just love to dispel the idea of the happy friendly good natured Irish fan.
    It can be very easy to lose a good reputation.

+100

Nothing wrong with that . I know people who hate their jobs but still make a living from it.

totally different scenario

• Advertisement

totally different scenario

Your view.

Back door

Possible but unlikely anyone would bother or be allowed to. And who thinks "Better go out the back in case I'm cheered for buying underwear". You'd just think... well nothing really because nobody would expect a crowd of adults to act like that, even with booze in them. You'd just expect them to act like adults and not a crowd of horny teenagers. So nobody would really avoid going about their daily business in this scenario realistically.

Your view.

nothing to do with my view, its a fact

if he feels so strongly about it why doesn't he put in a transfer request and play in another country...but no he chooses to bite the hand that feeds him

As said, football fans who cause problems are the exception rather than the rule. England fans, Russian fans, a few Eastern European countries. And even then only a minority. Can you think of any others?

So yes, behaving well is the norm and should be an expectation. Not something you pat yourself on the back over. What about this concept “baffles” you?

Oh and, as I said earlier in the thread, I actually found these types of videos impossible to avoid during the Euros and, believe me, I was trying. The internet was flooded with them and I’m not going to avoid my social pages for a few weeks. Friends were sharing them etc.

We should be thankful for small mercies, Dara! :pac: There should be no more videos of 'the best fans in the world having the craic' for the near future, thanks to that dismal performance tonight.

nothing to do with my view, its a fact

if he feels so strongly about it why doesn't he put in a transfer request and play in another country...but no he chooses to bite the hand that feeds him

Same scenario as my work colkeague. Hates the job but does his shift and stays just because the wage are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Dara if the lads had half the presence and persistence in the match tonight as you've had on this thread sure they'd be away with it :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

brooke 2 wrote: »
    As said, football fans who cause problems are the exception rather than the rule. England fans, Russian fans, a few Eastern European countries. And even then only a minority. Can you think of any others?

So yes, behaving well is the norm and should be an expectation. Not something you pat yourself on the back over. What about this concept “baffles” you?

Oh and, as I said earlier in the thread, I actually found these types of videos impossible to avoid during the Euros and, believe me, I was trying. The internet was flooded with them and I’m not going to avoid my social pages for a few weeks. Friends were sharing them etc.

We should be thankful for small mercies, Dara! :pac: There should be no more videos of 'the best fans in the world having the craic' for the near future, thanks to that dismal performance tonight.

Happy your country lost. Should be ashamed.

Same scenario as my work colkeague. Hates the job but does his shift and stays just because the wage are good.

we're not talking about a 9 to 5 job here...we're talking about a man making a political statement that he feels strongly about, its got nothing to do with money

Nah, more of a silver lining. But of course, there is no obligation to support your national team either.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    ‘Dutch courage’? We were planning Denmark, not the Nederlands...

Oops! :o

anna080 wrote: »
    Dara if the lads had half the presence and persistence in the match tonight as you've had on this thread sure they'd be away with it :) :pac:

I'm choosing to take this as a compliment. #eternaloptimist :pac:

Possible but unlikely anyone would bother or be allowed to. And who thinks "Better go out the back in case I'm cheered for buying underwear". You'd just think... well nothing really because nobody would expect a crowd of adults to act like that, even with booze in them. You'd just expect them to act like adults and not a crowd of horny teenagers. So nobody would really avoid going about their daily business in this scenario realistically.

If she was in fear of her life I'm quite sure they'd have let her use the back door,

If she was in fear of her life I'm quite sure they'd have let her use the back door,

She wouldn't have been though at all. She just would likely wouldn't expect the kind of reaction she got. Why would you?

Plenty of wives and girlfriends of the 'best fans' also happy, I'm sure! ;)

She wouldn't have been though at all. She just would likely wouldn't expect the kind of reaction she got. Why would you?

I got a round of applause and a cheer when I came out of a toilet in Prague....made me smile, didn't know any of the beggars...random things...no need to be getting all offended on her behalf

• Advertisement
Advertisement