Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just turned off the radio in absolute anger

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ok, so you accept irish fans may have been abusive, threatening or been arrested for similar. You just haven't heard of it personally.

Never saw it. Never heard it reported from friends. Never saw it in the press. How the fcuk else would I know about it?! Your debating style is abysmal.

We're straying into strawmaning now

That good ship sailed a long time ago. You can't have a proper discussion when someone posts like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Omackeral wrote: »
    Never saw it. Never heard it reported from friends. Never saw it in the press. How the fcuk else would I know about it?! Your debating style is abysmal.

I'm stating it's ludicrous to suggest no Irish fan has ever been arrested or charged abroad for unruly behaviour.

I'm not debating. You are in denial if you think all Irish fans abroad are top guys that no matter how drunk, always behave in a dignified fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I suppose if you were so mortified coming out of a lingerie shop encountering a couple of thousand away fans then you probably wouldn’t enter the same lingerie shop with a couple of thousand hanging about.

She was hardly in there for hours and completely taken by surprise.

Also there are many great things that I don’t like it that I might feel morto about. But I dont expect the rest of the world to tip toe around me. It really is getting silly now.

And as to those saying these fans are being dumb eejits. Maybe they are maybe they’re not. They’re harmless and they’re alright. All these killjoys can f*** ***.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

In fairness the girl in the Video didn't need to be outraged, because there are some amount of people who are outraged on her behalf.

Get any group of lads together, throw in some alcohol and they can revert to teens very quick! It was harmless, the girl wasn't outraged, nobody died or got hurt. To suggest this group gathered and got drink in the same length of time she was in the shop is stretching the argument too much.

We have become such an outraged society, and usually over silly things.

Let's get outraged over the big things and not over petty little things just for the sake of outrage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

SAMTALK wrote: »
    In fairness the girl in the Video didn't need to be outraged, because there are some amount of people who are outraged on her behalf.

Get any group of lads together, throw in some alcohol and they can revert to teens very quick! It was harmless, the girl wasn't outraged, nobody died or got hurt. To suggest this group gathered and got drink in the same length of time she was in the shop is stretching the argument too much.

We have become such an outraged society, and usually over silly things.

Let's get outraged over the big things and not over petty little things just for the sake of outrage

Tbf I haven't seen anyone outraged here except the OP, who now claims it was only posted for a reaction so this whole thread is based on baiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I spent a month in Italy in 1990. Similar type of stuff went on there and then, 27 years ago folks, so it is not new. How many reports of bad behavior have we heard since?
    Large groups of football fans gather outside bars, wine bars, cafes drinking, getting progressively loud, boisterous, annoying and daft the longer they are there.
    Some people don't appreciate the "humour" and the noise late into the night.
    Fair enough, it can be a pain.

Trouble, vandalism, damage, intimidation, bullying - no
    I think, like what was previously suggested, there is a cross section in this type of gathering of football fan, and if behaviour is getting out of hand, a few more sensible types quell the rowdier element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

pilly wrote: »
    Tbf I haven't seen anyone outraged here except the OP, who now claims it was only posted for a reaction so this whole thread is based on baiting.

Ok, outraged wrong choice of words. Offended, mortified.

In fairness a lot of posts are calling the fans some unfair names, and then with the added "what if's", its gone a bit OTT

Yes some women would be uncomfortable in this situation but this woman obviously wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A bit immature and childish,is my take.

A lot of these lads think they are great crack, and sometimes they are, ut not on that occasion.

Childish.

With apology to children (over 2.5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was in Poznan for a full week in 2012, the Mayor asked us all to come back.

You mean a person in political office engaged in public relations puff? That has never happened before ever.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    You mean a person in political office engaged in public relations puff? That has never happened before ever.

I'm sure he really, really meant it though :D

I suppose if you were so mortified coming out of a lingerie shop encountering a couple of thousand away fans then you probably wouldn’t enter the same lingerie shop with a couple of thousand hanging about.

Don't know why I have to keep saying this but you can easily spend an hour or more in a shop like that. Bra-fitting is quite time-consuming.

I don't think there are thousands there. And there might have been even less when she went in.

Plus, why would she anticipate that happening when she left the shop? Why would anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m sure it has Dara, and I acknowledge your irony.

Why would a town or area ‘ invaded ‘ by a group who would gannet down more drink in a night than the locals would in six months not invite them back.

Answers on a postcard from Cyprus.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Don't know why I have to keep saying this but you can easily spend an hour or more in a shop like that. Bra-fitting is quite time-consuming.

I don't think there are thousands there. And there might have been even less when she went in.

Plus, why would she anticipate that happening when she left the shop? Why would anyone?

If you can spend more than an hour buying a bra then by Jesus you have too much free time on your hands.

If you can spend more than an hour buying a bra then by Jesus you have too much free time on your hands.

Lol. Yes, it's her fault.

Lol. Yes, it's her fault.

"FAULT"???? I think you'll find I admire the woman in the video for acting normally.

But sure never let a little thing like fact get in the way of a good old knee jerk pro feminist dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tigger wrote: »
    i listen to spotify

is that on am or fm?

You are in denial if you think all Irish fans abroad are top guys that no matter how drunk, always behave in a dignified fashion.

There you go again. I never said that! Not once. I think they're attention seeking buffoons a lot of the time. I don't consider them The Best Fans In The World or anything close to it. A lot of them arte like court jesters. I'm simply saying they're not aggressive or violent and haven't a reputation for it. I've seen them first hand myself, as well as these reports. It's shocking how you're not picking up on this.

Not outraged. Have already stated that twice. Started the thread to get a conversation going. Chose the title to get a bit of interest in the story. That's what boards is for.

• Advertisement

There you go again. I never said that! Not once. I think they're attention seeking buffoons a lot of the time. I don't consider them The Best Fans In The World or anything close to it. A lot of them arte like court jesters. I'm simply saying they're not aggressive or violent and haven't a reputation for it. I've seen them first hand myself, as well as these reports. It's shocking how you're not picking up on this.

It's hardly shocking , you are being overly dramatic. The last few pages you have insinuated that the Irish are not violent, abusive fans because you have not witnessed it. I have pointed out that just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean all of them are great fans. It's not possible that everyone that drinks to excess remains cool and calm.

You have got quite irate and angry at this. I'm not entirely sure why. The idea that Irish fans can be baying pain in the srses seems to be something you are reluctant to process

I’m sure it has Dara, and I acknowledge your irony.

Why would a town or area ‘ invaded ‘ by a group who would gannet down more drink in a night than the locals would in six months not invite them back.

Exaaactly. :D

Maybe getting a measuring done (and you might have to queue for that), finding ones you want to try on, trying them on (maybe having to queue at the changing rooms depending on how busy the place is), swapping out ones that don't fit quite right for others, trying those. Easily eats up an hour or more. Not all women will have gone through this ritual but many have. It's an awkward process for some. Nothing to do with having lots of free time.

I've never seen unicorn ****e either.

Doesn't mean I'm going to surmise it exists.

Maybe getting a measuring done, finding ones you want to try on, trying them on, swapping out ones that don't fit quite right for others, trying those. Easily eats up an hour or more. Not all women will have gone through this ritual but many have. It's an awkward process for some. Nothing to do with having lots of free time.

It's underwear ffs. IT has one job.

Who cares what it looks like???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's hardly shocking , you are being overly dramatic. The last few pages you have insinuated that the Irish are not violent, abusive fans because you have not witnessed it. I have pointed out that just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean all of them are great fans. It's not possible that everyone that drinks to excess remains cool and calm.

You have got quite irate and angry at this. I'm not entirely sure why. The idea that Irish fans can be baying pain in the srses seems to be something you are reluctant to process

Huge difference in being a pain in the arse and being violent.
    He's saying he has never known them to be violent based on the fact he has travelled as a fan and been a part of the culture of it.
    You're saying that this isn't the case based on what exactly?
    At least he has something to support his theory- what have you only a big pot of "what if"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Well, actually......I do.

It has to be fit right. And if it doesn't, it actually can look terrible. Bigger boobed women have to put a bit of thought and time into it, believe it or not.

But you're just being awkward. You know all this.
    anna080 wrote: »
    Huge difference in being a pain in the arse and being violent.
    He's saying he has never known them to be violent based on the fact he has travelled as a fan and been a part of the culture of it.
    You're saying that this isn't the case based on what exactly?
    At least he has something to support his theory- what have you?

Some of the videos from last summer - I'd class some of the behaviour as a pain. The public transport ones - MAN, would I find that annoying if I was there. Many people just like to zone out on public transport, chat quietly, read. I've frequently been irritated by drunken and tipsy fools on public transport in Ireland and UK. So I'm sure a lot of the locals would have been the same. They're a captive audience.

EDIT: Never mind, read your post wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I hear she came out wearing an edible bra and crotchless panties screaming ...
    "Irish boys eat from my fine Danish body"
    To which the Irish ensemble replied....
    " Ah heor love! Put it away unless you've a Guinness tap stuck in there"......

Tis as true as I'm standing here or my names not Don Kiddick

I've never seen unicorn ****e either.

Doesn't mean I'm going to surmise it exists.

I have never seen anyone murdered, unfortunately it happens. Possibly a better example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have been to 26 Ireland away games(maybe 1 or 2 more but its what I counted there) and have never seen so more as few drunks lads doing bit of roaring.

Yes you do see few Dodgy lads on flights and around, but never seen them cause much hassle at worst.

Worst I saw at the Euros last year, was actually on flight over and a guy was drunk and standing up throughout the flight. He was a knob even if drunk, but other then that saw very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Maybe you dont care but i can assure you there are many women who do care about how their underwear looks and dont consider it as something that is just purely functional. Sure victorias secret wouldnt make the profit it does if people didnt care.

Underwear has more than one job in my life!

Oh man. I said I've never seen it and I've never read about it. If it was a problem it would surely be reported on like it is with loads of other countries when they play in major tournaments. That's where I drew my logical synopsis from. Maybe fellas get arrested, I'm sure they do. As a whole and as a travelling group, it's not what we're known for.
    You have got quite irate and angry at this. I'm not entirely sure why.

Ha ok. No though, it's just a discussion.
    The idea that Irish fans can be baying pain in the srses seems to be something you are reluctant to process

Well no cos I've said so many times that they're exactly that. Ive called them buffoons, annoying, jesters, eejits and far from the best fans in the world. It's not me who has the processing difficulties.

Omackeral wrote:
    Not outraged. Have already stated that twice. Started the thread to get a conversation going. Chose the title to get a bit of interest in the story. That's what boards is for.

Nope, you admitted that you posted it for a "reaction", not a conversation.

Nope, you admitted that you posted it for a "reaction", not a conversation.

Nope, said the thread title was for a reaction and it got one. Plenty of people clicked and and seemingly agreed with the sentiment expressed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I have never seen anyone murdered, unfortunately it happens. Possibly a better example.

Considering you have such a big imagination about what could happen it’s hard to comprehend why you can’t accept what does happen.

FFS.

FFS.

What do you mean ffs? The OP is saying he hasn't seen any abusive behaviour or bad behaviour. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You can only be in one place at one time.

Of course it happens.

Simple to understand.

OnDraught wrote: »
    Considering you have such a big imagination about what could happen it’s hard to comprehend why you can’t accept what does happen.

A big imagination? To think pissed up people can be abusive or harrass?

What do you mean ffs? The OP is saying he hasn't seen any abusive behaviour or bad behaviour. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You can only be in one place at one time.

Of course it happens.

Simple to understand.

Yea let me stop you right there.
    I'll be damned if I'm spending my evening getting into a back and forth with a stranger on the interwebs about something something somewhere that may have happened but never actually happened.
    Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Of course it happens.

Simple to understand.

So sweeping generalisations are the name of the game now?.... For 250 bonus points will you chuck in a little whataboutery to complete the hattrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Of course it happens.

Simple to understand.

The op isn’t the only one that has been on these trips. Lots of us have. We know what happens!

It should be simple to understand but it seems to be beyond you!

Yea let me stop you right there.
    I'll be damned if I'm spending my evening getting into a back and forth with a stranger on the interwebs about something something somewhere that may have happened but never actually happened.
    Have fun.

Of course it's happened. It happens in pubs across this country every night. Assuming people don't behave the same when on holiday at an away match is ludicrous.

Not that you will see this.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you can spend more than an hour buying to a bra then by Jesus you have too much free time on your hands.

if people want to spend their free time shopping buying whatever how is this relevant to this discussion.?

I've spent hours deciding on shoes or clothes which also have one function.

Personally I hate football, it bores a hole through me, but I'm not going to say that people who spend hours watching grown men chase around a ball of air have too much time on their hands.

We all have different interests, whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

A bunch of men hanging around outside an underwear store, cheering at people coming out is a bit juvenile imo. What's next - Cheering someone as they come out of the toilet?

We're in a "soundness" arms race.

I'm Irish, LOVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement