Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory Insulation (LL or Tenant)

Options
  • 13-11-2017 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, is it the LL or tenant responsibility to insulate a conservatory? It is freezing in there at the moment, roasting in the summer! I know LL will probably fob me off (no money to do it etc..) I was wondering should I as the tenant have to insulate it? or is it the LL duty to do it?

Is there a cheap way to to do it? there is a radiator in there but no use at all, might aswell be standing out the back garden.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Reminds of what your man Dermot Bannon says about conservatories, he hates them, too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, can't regulate temperature because it's got so much glass and external walls exposed to elements on 3 sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bigguns2 wrote: »
    Hi, is it the LL or tenant responsibility to insulate a conservatory? It is freezing in there at the moment, roasting in the summer! I know LL will probably fob me off (no money to do it etc..) I was wondering should I as the tenant have to insulate it? or is it the LL duty to do it?

Is there a cheap way to to do it? there is a radiator in there but no use at all, might aswell be standing out the back garden.

First off insulation is too expensive and permanent for somewhere you don't own.

Second there's no duty to insulate the conservatory. As the previous poster said a lot of conservatories are write offs during the winter and that's the way it is.

Thirdly if you are worried about heat from the rest of the house leaking into the conservatory and assuming you have another back door turning off the heating in that room and sealing off the door between the rest of the house and conservatory with tape can be a cheap option that reduces heat leakage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No-one has a responsibility to insulate a conservatory- and as the above posters have pointed out- being too hot in the summer- and too cold in the winter- is quite simply a feature of the vast majority of conservatories in Ireland. OP- I'm sorry- you're stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

It's frightening that a tenant would actually consider to think that a landlord should insulate a conservatory for him !!

You should have asked the landlord when you viewed the property initially and when he said no , you could have looked for another place that had an insulated conservatory

Advertisement