Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

• 13-11-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

skysports-denmark-republic-of-ireland-football_4150359.jpg?20171108150836

Winner takes it all and makes it to Russia World Cup 2018!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Miriam Odd Zeal

Quick question, if anyone knows...ive been given a ticket to the game tomorrow, are the trains going or are the strikes going ahead...Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Rep of Ireland vs Denmark" OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Another opportunity to get that crucial away goal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

pjohnson wrote: »

Winner takes it all and makes it to Russia World Cup 2018!

unless it's a score draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

"Rep of Ireland vs Denmark" OP?

I imagine that 'Denmark vs Ireland' is probably technically correct per FIFA's naming convention as it's considered a single tie, but with two legs.

But for the sake of ease of reading and common sense, just make it 'Ireland vs Denmark' for this thread!? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I imagine that 'Denmark vs Ireland' is probably technically correct per FIFA's naming convention as it's considered a single tie, but with two legs.

But for the sake of ease of reading and common sense, just make it 'Ireland vs Denmark' for this thread!? :p

Hear hear

Quick question, if anyone knows...ive been given a ticket to the game tomorrow, are the trains going or are the strikes going ahead...Thanks in advance

Yeh they are, I live in walking distance you may as well give me your ticket and you can watch it on tv. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mods can rearrange title. I havent a notion how to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1 - 0 to ROI #COYBIG

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mods can rearrange title. I havent a notion how to

Press on Edit, then go Advanced then you can change thread title

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the "Two bald men fighting over a comb" quote seems right about now.

or do I mean "**** on a stick"? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will i say the dreaded P word....Penalties

who's the best goalie when it comes to saving a peno ??

• One would hope we get through.
    Very nervous about it all.
    I fear for MONs team selection and tactics, but hopefully a combination of luck and effort can scrape us to Russia.

Wonder will he use Hoolahan at all, tbf even the midfield he selected for the game Saturday was decent but as I've said it was completely bypassed with aimless long balls from the keeper and CBs

He's going to have to attempt something constructive, he cannot allow them have the ball so easily, it was like watching a bunch of kids panic every time the ball was at feet. Get rid of it was the only instructed option it seemed.
    At least try and mix it up.

If we invite pressure and go a goal down then chasing the game will only suit Denmark more.

• fryup wrote: »
    will i say the dreaded P word....Penalties

who's the best goalie when it comes to saving a peno ??

Randolph proving to be a great shot stopper. But not sure if either have been in an actual peno shootout that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Ireland to go out on away goals. 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least we will have a 'glamour' friendly v Italy to look forward to in the Aviva next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    One would hope we get through.
    Very nervous about it all.
    I fear for MONs team selection and tactics, but hopefully a combination of luck and effort can scrape us to Russia.

Wonder will he use Hoolahan at all, tbf even the midfield he selected for the game Saturday was decent but as I've said it was completely bypassed with aimless long balls from the keeper and CBs

He's going to have to attempt something constructive, he cannot allow them have the ball so easily, it was like watching a bunch of kids panic every time the ball was at feet. Get rid of it was the only instructed option it seemed.
    At least try and mix it up.

If we invite pressure and go a goal down then chasing the game will only suit Denmark more.
    You sound like a Man U fan complaining about Jose after the recent 0-0 draw at Anfield there Mick, ....oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

2-0 to Ireland. Set piece and a counterattack like against Austria.

A rare comfortable win!

KungPao wrote: »
    2-0 to Ireland. Set piece and a counterattack like against Austria.

A rare comfortable win!

Just like the win over Bosnia in the last qualifier 2nd leg. We'll take a repeat of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You sound like a Man U fan complaining about Jose after the recent 0-0 draw at Anfield there Mick, ....oh wait.

What relevance is this to the thread? Or this game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Peno Shootout

What relevance is this to the thread? Or this game?
    It's a comment about people being consistent. If they're going to criticise MON for being negative then you can't defend Mourinho's tactics at Anfield like Mick tries to 'cos he's a Man U fan.

Also you can't criticise MON for being negative and pretend Trap wasn't, when he was actually a damn site more negative than MON ever was, like Damian Duff and Liam Brady do on RTE.

A little bit of consistency and perspective wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Can't see it ending 0-0

It's the ultimate game of 'first goal wins'

Could go either way but I'll take a leap for Ireland

• What relevance is this to the thread? Or this game?

Nothing at all. Not the first times he's attempted to do this today either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It's a comment about people being consistent. If they're going to criticise MON for being negative then you can't defend Mourinho's tactics at Anfield like Mick tries to 'cos he's a Man U fan.

Also you can't criticise MON for being negative and pretend Trap wasn't, when he was actually a damn site more negative than MON ever was, like Damian Duff and Liam Brady do on RTE.

Mourinho, trap etc have no relevance to O'Neil.. Over the top whataboutery.

Mourinho, trap etc have no relevance to O'Neil.. Over the top whataboutery.
    Mourinho, Trap are brought up by other posters here and by others elsewhere when they go on another trip complaining about MON being negative etc.. You need to get your facts straight here pal.

Nothing at all. Not the first times he's attempted to do this today either.
    Unbelievable. Utter hypocrisy from Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think patience is the key tomorrow.

It could well go to extra time and penos.

In an ideal world we’d risk it, go at them and score 1 and then catch them on the break for a second to cruise home.

But that is highly unlikely and foolhardy given the stakes. I think they are the better team and with someone like Eriksen it would be madness to make it much more open than Saturday.

I would like to see Long though as I think he could hurt them on the break as I think they will be more offensive which could play into our hands.

Meyler for O Dowda too would be welcome.

I’d not start Wes. See how the game is going, and if we are not threatening at all, bring him on for Hendrick or Meyler at half time.

So excited now!

I think patience is the key tomorrow.

It could well go to extra time and penos.

In an ideal world we’d risk it, go at them and score 1 and then catch them on the break for a second to cruise home.

But that is highly unlikely and foolhardy given the stakes. I think they are the better team and with someone like Eriksen it would be madness to make it much more open than Saturday.

I would like to see Long though as I think he could hurt them on the break as I think they will be more offensive which could play into our hands.

Meyler for O Dowda too would be welcome.

I’d not start Wes. See how the game is going, and if we are not threatening at all, bring him on for Hendrick or Meyler at half time.

So excited now!
    I think we can get a goal start on them. I think we'll be positive. Go on the front foot. We're the home side. They're not that great. Ireland 2-0 Denmark.

• Advertisement

• TheCitizen wrote: »

Why hypocrisy? Not once have I tried to discuss Utd in any Irish thread. It has no relevance to MON Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Why is liverpool and united getting mentions in a match day thread involving ireland in a crucial world cup play off is madness. Forget uour personal squabbles with each other and talk about the actual game..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

We're all Ireland fans tonight let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Don't think Liverpool were actually mentioned.

Looking forward to being not able to enjoy the game tonight with the stress of it. I'd love a few early Ireland goals.
    Any chance we can have that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Narrow win tonight, but it will be tense as f*ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

This team has shown an incredible ability to pull massive performances out of no where under MON. I believe we will do it again. I honestly can't wait for it! The Aviva will be rocking tonight, can't wait for pints from 4 already and then head off into the ground.

Believe!

• Advertisement

Why hypocrisy? Not once have I tried to discuss Utd in any Irish thread. It has no relevance to MON Ireland.
    You were discussing it. When it was brought to attention that you're a Man Yoo fan it was put to you that Mourinho deployed similar tactics v Liverpool recently that you're criticising MON for using with Ireland. You then tried to stonewall in defence of Mourinho and you are now trying to pretend you didn't mention it at all. Rank hypocrisy Mick.

Number 850 on the 1st leg thread Mick. Check it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think tonight will be turgid stuff and either a 0-0 like the rest of the second legs or a tight 1-0 to either side, Ireland slight favourites.

I do hate MON's tactics though. Yes the squad is limited but they are pro-footballers who can do more than hoof the ball.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can we ban any mention of Mourinho in this thread please?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Can we ban any mention of Mourinho in this thread please?
    Sure, some of the Man U fans here don't like comparisons being drawn between some of the tactics that Mourinho deploys and the similar tactics that they criticise MON for. Yes we'll drop it, it makes for uncomfortable reading for those prickly Irish Man U fans on here.

I'm talking about perspective in the context of criticism of style of play etc.. Have a read of this article in the Irish Indo that I linked from the other thread for some perspective.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/eamonn-sweeney-mindless-scepticism-becoming-a-ritual-for-tv-pundits-36313316.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Can all the Utd/Liverpool supporters kindly find another play pen and gtfo of the thread if they don't want to discuss the match.
    It's really tiresome scrolling through the same crap all the time.
    On topic as another poster said I think there will only be the one goal in this game. Hopefully it's an irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Would like to see Brady at left back tonight with Meyler, Arter, Hendrick and Wes in Midfield, McClean and Long up top. Have a bit more mobility in there and the 3 other midfield lads could do Wes's trackign back. Doubtful I know but would love to see them give it a right go.

Leaving work here in Cork at 12 , train at 1.30. Cant wait going to be some atmosphere. COYBIG.

• TheCitizen wrote: »
    You were discussing it. When it was brought to attention that you're a Man Yoo fan it was put to you that Mourinho deployed similar tactics v Liverpool recently that you're criticising MON for using with Ireland. You then tried to stonewall in defence of Mourinho and you are now trying to pretend you didn't mention it at all. Rank hypocrisy Mick.

I did not bring Utd into any discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hate playoffs involving Ireland. I don't see tonight being any different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

PhilipsR wrote: »
    This team has shown an incredible ability to pull massive performances out of no where under MON. I believe we will do it again. I honestly can't wait for it! The Aviva will be rocking tonight, can't wait for pints from 4 already and then head off into the ground.

Believe!

Hopefully.

Hasn't been great in recent years.

More kids and families, less singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm as excited as I was back in 1990, 1994 and 2002.
    This is why I love this game. I couldn't even sit down on Sat watching it.
    I'm lucky enough to be going tonight. I except every Irish supporter to have sore throats tomorrow as we belt out support to the boys tonight.
    MON has a knack of doing what needs to be done. It's not a pretty sight at times, but the heart and passion is in those lads.
    I really hope we get control of the match early on. Should the Danes dominate possession from the start, our confidence will be hit and the over reliance on set plays could work against us.
    We need to take more control.

I had a dream we won 1-0 in the dying minutes the other night. I'll take that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

murpho999 wrote: »
    Think tonight will be turgid stuff and either a 0-0 like the rest of the second legs or a tight 1-0 to either side, Ireland slight favourites.

I do hate MON's tactics though. Yes the squad is limited but they are pro-footballers who can do more than hoof the ball.

Hoping for more than 2 passes then hoof tonight. An early goal is both a blessing and a curse for us. It might settle the nerves but as we've seen time and again, Ireland score early then retreat into their shells and invite pressure and can make even the most mediocre teams look like all stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mourinho, Trap are brought up by other posters here and by others elsewhere when they go on another trip complaining about MON being negative etc.. You need to get your facts straight here pal.

Sure, some of the Man U fans here don't like comparisons being drawn between some of the tactics that Mourinho deploys and the similar tactics that they criticise MON for. Yes we'll drop it, it makes for uncomfortable reading for those prickly Irish Man U fans on here.

I'm talking about perspective in the context of criticism of style of play etc.. Have a read of this article in the Irish Indo that I linked from the other thread for some perspective.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/eamonn-sweeney-mindless-scepticism-becoming-a-ritual-for-tv-pundits-36313316.html

If these posts were a dog they'd have to be put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What on earth is Mourinho doing in this thread?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What on earth is Mourinho doing in this thread?
    Ask Mick the Man U fan

keane2097 wrote: »
    If these posts were a dog they'd have to be put down.
    You could have multi quoted Mick on Mourinho as well there from the various Ireland threads but that wouldn't suit your point though would it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement