Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

well whatever - can we park the premier league stuff

• TheCitizen wrote: »
    Ask Mick the Man U fan
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    You could have multi quoted Mick on Mourinho as well there from the various Ireland threads but that wouldn't suit your point though would it?

Are you struggling to understand, I did not bring up Man Utd in any of these threads. And done my best to avoid discussing him when I was consistently goaded about Utd. You are embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Children, who gives a flying f**k about Manchester United or Liverpool. They are English teams. Tonight is about the IRISH team. We are all on the one side here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You could have multi quoted Mick on Mourinho as well there from the various Ireland threads but that wouldn't suit your point though would it?

My point is that your posting is annoying and bad. I couldn't give a fiddler's fart what Mick thinks of Mourinho, something I suspect applies to the vast majority of non-eejits posting in this thread.

You know Ireland could qualify for the World Cup tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Not sure why you dragged it into this thread too TheCitizen, by all means keep going in the other thread!

Anyways....... nerves are a jangling already!! Meyler was talking tough on Sky, seems he's a definite starter, as he was out front with o'Neill in the presser too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any chance the thread could not be dominated by people sniping at each other and people could discuss the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

keane2097 wrote: »
    My point is that your posting is annoying and bad. I couldn't give a fiddler's fart what Mick thinks of Mourinho, something I suspect applies to the vast majority of non-eejits posting in this thread.

You know Ireland could qualify for the World Cup tonight?

Do you know what I find annoying, and 'bad' posting. It's when a point is illustrated that posters on here are being hypocritical when they carp and moan about MON being negative but then it turns out they are Man U fans that will defend similar tactics deployed by Mourinho. I also find it annoying and 'bad' posting; the proliferation of negative carping bile on here. I'm looking forward to tonights game and my view is we will qualify.

You're right, judging by a lot of the negative carping on here re the Irish management team, you wouldn't think we are heading into a second leg qualifier for the World Cup tonight that if we win would mean the second successful qualification for a major tournament in succession.

Annoying, 'bad' posting is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do you know what I find annoying, and 'bad' posting. It's when a point is illustrated that posters on here are being hypocritical when they carp and moan about MON being negative but then it turns out they are Man U fans that will defend similar tactics deployed by Mourinho. I also find it annoying and 'bad' posting; the proliferation of negative carping bile on here. I'm looking forward to tonights game and my view is we will qualify.

You're right, judging by a lot of the negative carping on here re the Irish management team, you wouldn't think we are heading into a second leg qualifier for the World Cup tonight that if we win would mean the second successful qualification for a major tournament in succession.

Annoying, 'bad' posting is right.

We could just do an experiment where you agree not to mention Mourinho and see how long it takes for someone else to care enough what Mick thinks about him to bring it up.

It's all you baby, it's all you.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    One would hope we get through.
    Very nervous about it all.
    I fear for MONs team selection and tactics, but hopefully a combination of luck and effort can scrape us to Russia.

Wonder will he use Hoolahan at all, tbf even the midfield he selected for the game Saturday was decent but as I've said it was completely bypassed with aimless long balls from the keeper and CBs

He's going to have to attempt something constructive, he cannot allow them have the ball so easily, it was like watching a bunch of kids panic every time the ball was at feet. Get rid of it was the only instructed option it seemed.
    At least try and mix it up.

If we invite pressure and go a goal down then chasing the game will only suit Denmark more.
    Not sure why you dragged it into this thread too TheCitizen, by all means keep going in the other thread!

Anyways....... nerves are a jangling already!! Meyler was talking tough on Sky, seems he's a definite starter, as he was out front with o'Neill in the presser too?

You're right. I bit on this comment by Mick above, that's where it started again on this thread. I find the constant negative carping like that from Mick above in bold to be irritating. Under MON we are capable and have played some decent football when required. There doesn't seem to be a recognition of this from those of a ultra negative mindset.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    We could just do an experiment where you agree not to mention Mourinho and see how long it takes for someone else to care enough what Mick thinks about him to bring it up.

It's all you baby, it's all you.
    I've made my point and the point stands.

• TheCitizen wrote: »
    You're right. I bit on this comment by Mick above, that's where it started again on this thread. I find the constant negative carping like that from Mick above in bold to be irritating. Under MON we are capable and have played some decent football when required. There doesn't seem to be a recognition of this from those of a ultra negative mindset.

It's a perfectly viable opinion and I'd take a strong guess in saying some posters agree with my assessment.
    You are simply throwing your toys out the pram because it irritates you.

I hear ya Citizen, certain people have been ridiculously negative, but best to ignore them today and just focus on the game and be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Jesus this thread makes for grim reading already. And I fear that it has been more entertaining than the match will be tonight.

But, on a serious note, if the game plan is to give the ball back to the Danes for 90 minut s then I hope they score first and Ireland have to at least attempt to put a bit of control on the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whatever about the rest of it: we all want Ireland to succeed tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hows about this lads everyone who wants to tell them to stop discussing non relevant EPL nonsense instead just post about tonights match and eventually their voices will be drowned down.

I'm expecting Meyler in and no other change to personal or tactics until after the 60th minute when Long and Wes will come on if were still level.

Wouldn't mind if Long does or doesn't start but expect him from the bench and although I'd like Wes to start as one of 5 in midfield I'd expect all but O' Dowda who started the last game to start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Memo to MON NO hoof ball tonight. Precision passing, Shane Long on from the start so McClean has someone to play off of, we can do this tonight duck Fenmark

MrKingsley wrote: »
    But, on a serious note, if the game plan is to give the ball back to the Danes for 90 minut s then I hope they score first and Ireland have to at least attempt to put a bit of control on the game

That's a fantastic tactic, hope the opposition scores first.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do people reckon we should start with Rashford or Martial?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do people reckon we should start with Rashford or Martial?

May be a bit too late to check their family trees :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought the united rubbish would be left festering in the first leg thread. Wishful thinking shoulda known it would contaminate here aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Memo to MON NO hoof ball tonight. Precision passing, Shane Long on from the start so McClean has someone to play off of, we can do this tonight duck Fenmark

Steady on. We're not Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Hows about this lads everyone who wants to tell them to stop discussing non relevant EPL nonsense instead just post about tonights match and eventually their voices will be drowned down.

I'm expecting Meyler in and no other change to personal or tactics until after the 60th minute when Long and Wes will come on if were still level.

Wouldn't mind if Long does or doesn't start but expect him from the bench and although I'd like Wes to start as one of 5 in midfield I'd expect all but O' Dowda who started the last game to start again.

Can you imagine the reaction if we get knocked out and Wes hasn't played? Or, if we go through because Wes scored? Dunphy would explode either way.

I agree with you, though. Meyler in for O'Dowda and the rest as is.

Control the game for 60-65 and then introduce Long's pace up top. Not sure that it is what I would do, but it's what I expect us to try and do.

Would like us to hold the ball a bit better today. Not talking silky Barca passing, but we struggled with simple passes on Saturday so holding on to it, even in our own area, would be nice.

Steady on. We're not Spain.

neither are they, as long as we turn up and the keeper plays like he did on Saturday we will do them, tonight it's an extra large tin of bachelor's we need to be, they ain't opening us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That's a fantastic tactic, hope the opposition scores first.....

Yeah its a stupid thing to say alright but I just cannot cheer on the team anymore really playing as they have been.

I would love Ireland to go out and even attempt to keep the ball but I dont see that as being a feasible option in MON's eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Would it be a traditional penalty shootout.... or the new 'ABBA' technique?

E.g. Ireland Denmark Denmark Ireland Ireland

Is that the Uefa rule rather than FIFA, these games haven't had the extra behind goal linesman so I think some of the rules are only in Uefa sanctioned games, could be wrong on that mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The way the weather is at the moment (pissing down) the game could well be decided by an unfortunate slip or a fumble by a keeper due to a greasy ball. For that reason players will be reluctant to pass much and we can expect more of the same i.e. hoofing.
    Let's hope that any slip-up is made by the Danes.

• Is that the Uefa rule rather than FIFA, these games haven't had the extra behind goal linesman so I think some of the rules are only in Uefa sanctioned games, could be wrong on that mind.

What I find strange they implemented the technology for the recent England v Germany friendly.
    Why can't they put it into a game that actually you know, means something.

bureaucracy short answer, long answer im sure it still needs testing done I believe it was trialed at the under 17 world cup and the women's world cup but it wouldn't be acceptable to introduce it at the end or post game period of a qualification stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What I find strange they implemented the technology for the recent England v Germany friendly.
    Why can't they put it into a game that actually you know, means something.

Because it was only a trial. Would you prefer them to trial new video technology in a World Cup Final instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Randolph proving to be a great shot stopper. But not sure if either have been in an actual peno shootout that I remember.

Randolph was in the papers during the week saying that the last peno shootout he was in was when he was 14.

He's had some great performances in the past great one being the 3-2 against Man Utd last season for West Ham a night like that and we will win this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The way the weather is at the moment (pissing down) the game could well be decided by an unfortunate slip or a fumble by a keeper due to a greasy ball.
    Where are you?
    It's been dry all morning where I am in South Dublin, and it's mild out there today.
    Not much rain forecast, so I expect conditions to be perfect.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Where are you?
    It's been dry all morning where I am in South Dublin, and it's mild out there today.
    Not much rain forecast, so I expect conditions to be perfect.

North Louth. Pelting down all morning here.

• Wilberto wrote: »
    Because it was only a trial. Would you prefer them to trial new video technology in a World Cup Final instead?

I wasn't aware it was a trial. Still an argument to be made that using a trial method is better than not having it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, I'm honestly more nervous now than I was getting my Leaving Cert results or when the missus whipped out a pregnancy test kit last year. We have to get it done in 90 mins and I genuinely won't be able to watch if it goes to penalties.

Unbelievably jealous of anyone going to the game, and those who are make your voices heard! I'm finished work at half 5 and heading around to a mates with 6 cans straight after. COYFBIG!

10fqcms.jpg

North Louth. Pelting down all morning here.

Connacht lashing down aswell

I hope RTE have a few mics near the crowd to enhance the atmosphere for t.v. viewers. In some of the televised games you could hardly hear the crowd at all.

• I hope RTE have a few mics near the crowd to enhance the atmosphere for t.v. viewers. In some of the televised games you could hardly hear the crowd at all.

The win against Germany in the Euro qualifiers was the loudest I can remember over the last 2 years or so.
    Last game I was at was the Austria match and the atmosphere was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Damn it, if we only got an away goal wouldn't be half as nervous as i am now.

Going to be insanely squeeky bum time for 90 mins :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Ireland earned 11 points on the road.

Just eight points at the Aviva.

It's not a fortress.

If it's quiet like the San Siro last night, the Danes will take heart.

The Aviva needs to be to 'rocking' like the late 80s or early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I hope the organisers have as much fanfare and a big welcome for the team sorted out as the Danes got on Sat.
    We need the 12th man tonight.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hope the organisers have as much fanfare and a big welcome for the team sorted out as the Danes got on Sat.
    We need the 12th man tonight.

Just as long as they don't break out the fake band again :pac:

I'd imagine the crowd will be well up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I hope RTE have a few mics near the crowd to enhance the atmosphere for t.v. viewers. In some of the televised games you could hardly hear the crowd at all.

Thats became the crowd have been brutal.

Make the danes Moldova tonight they're the last competitive team we scored 2 goals against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

How nervous would the players be now? Maybe alot of them are used to the it as they are playing in the PL etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Ireland earned 11 points on the road.

Just eight points at the Aviva.

It's not a fortress.

If it's quiet like the San Siro last night, the Danes will take heart.

The Aviva needs to be to 'rocking' like the late 80s or early 90s.

Yep agree completely. Take away any rubbish attempt at atmosphere building tonight with a clown and a microphone or anything resembling a firework. Make it raw and make it loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It being called the Aviva is honestly part of the problem. Corporate nonsense. There was a fire in Landsdowne Road back in 2002 when we put the Dutch to the sword with 10 men.

The last quote those fvckers gave me for my insurance has made it clear I'll call it Lansdowne Road forever :pac:

vicwatson wrote: »
    Press on Edit, then go Advanced then you can change thread title

Cheers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement