Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No it won't

He didn't start Hoolahan

When he put him on he took off the wrong players

A double failure

Agree the subs were bad but people thinking that Long and Hoolohan are the answers for this team are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Even with that scoreline Randolph was man of the match for Ireland again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’ll say it again,

Fcuk. Neil. Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

mzungu wrote: »
    The second half subs did not make much impact. The damage was done in the first half.

The damage was done in the first leg never mind the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SlickRic wrote: »
    MON will use it as justification for not playing Hoolahan, but it was set up to fail when MON threw any structure out the window with that HT double substitution.

He knew what he was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

adox wrote: »
    Ref playing rugby style advantage? Wtf?

Anyway really hope that’s the last we see of O Neill. Despite what others think most are aware of the limitations of the squad but his “tactics” have been pure cowardice for large parts of the campaign.

We were top of the group and chickened out for the last four games. We got what we deserved in the end.
    In a way its good that we won't have another euro 2012 style tournament getting spanked in every game.

Glazers Out!

• murpho999 wrote: »
    Agree the subs were bad but people thinking that Long and Hoolohan are the answers for this team are wrong.

Long has been dreadful, I agree not starting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a sad state of affairs too, when people try to defend performances like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Trapatoni > MON

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes... Because the RTE analyst is the real issue at hand here after that.

It was a bit of comic relief, lighten up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes... Because the RTE analyst is the real issue at hand here after that.

Stephen Kenny too I’m betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Long has been dreadful, I agree not starting him

Should have brought Cillian Sheridan into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Oh well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

nullzero wrote: »
    We were top of the group and chickened out for the last four games. We got what we deserved in the end.
    In a way its good that we won't have another euro 2012 style tournament getting spanked in every game.

Ya remember Poland!!!! We can only get away with 'best supporters' for so long

SlickRic wrote: »
    MON will use it as justification for not playing Hoolahan, but it was set up to fail when MON threw any structure out the window with that HT double substitution.

O'Neill is just an awful coach. Simple as that. I can't stand his tactics.

I hear many people (not on this forum) rate him highly as a coach and I just don't get it.

His club career is littered with leaving clubs in sh1te and now he's destroying Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This result has seriously damaged our chances of winning the World Cup next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Should have brought Cillian Sheridan into the squad.

I'm fairly sure it's written into every Irish managers contract that they're only allowed to select players playing in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tbh at this Id say **** Qatar in 22 even. We clearly need an overhaul from the bottom up, which goes to grassroots. We need to be rid of the likes of Delaney for any hope in the medium to long term.

If the public and the FAI supported local football we'd be in much better shape. Neither will though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It means much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO MCCLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He even made a balls of going for it by completely throwing structure out the window

Get rid of him

°°°°°

quarryman wrote: »
    This result has seriously damaged our chances of winning the World Cup next year.

33rd team

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This interview is horrible, leave him alone Tony you sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Fair play Denmark though. I wish them the very best in Russia next summer.

Thought the fans let themselves down a bit tonight when booing Ericsen

Class act, not easy to have the weight of expectation of his country on his shoulders and to react like that.

First half he did not get in between the lines, (his goal in the first half came from a mistake) he spent all his time in between in the second half, made all the difference, probably the two centre mids off was a bad mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Where are you going with this?
    I just can't see how anyone could stand over getting beaten 5-1 at home. All the things you said should have obvious answers, balance shouldn't be lost at this level, not 5 times, get real.

Where am I going with it? If players make mistakes that lead to goals, what can a manager do to stop that? The system didnt cause a player to leave himself open to be nutmegged , or cause one to loose his footing when trying to clear a ball or make McLean trip Bentner

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jesus McClean is fcuking gutted. Tony can fcuk right off.

lol is all I can say to that

Raw emotion me hole. Talk about overcooked

Nice to see that a player cares but the wrong time to interview him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hear many people (not on this forum) rate him highly as a couch and I just don't get it.

Surely thats a bit extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Omackeral wrote: »
    This interview is horrible, leave him alone Tony you sap.

Yea this just isn't fair on the lad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Jesus McClean is fcuking gutted

So much love for that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The best fans in the world did more cheering at 1-4 down than we were still potentially in the game at 1-2.

Ultimately, we are a squad of average players, with no right to take the Danes lightly. They have far more pedigree in the world game than we have.

I mean the fact that Stephen Ward is our highest ranked player in terms of league position (well together with anonymous duo Brady and Hendrick), shows how far our stock has fallen in terms of producing players of a higher standard. And that isn't meant to be patronizing to the great start to the season Burnley have had.

I have put my neck on the line with my friend predicting that there won't be an Irish player playing consistency for a top-six PL team for the next decade. The game in this country is lagging far behind most of Europe in terms of structure.

33rd team

Norniron have that sewn up

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The second half subs did not make much impact. The damage was done in the first half.

The subs had an impact for sure, just the wrong sort. McGeady was anonymous and taking off the two holding midfielders killed Ireland.

Dunphy: "you can't fault them for effort"

gtfo

• Advertisement

My god, everyone here is just crumbling. It's 2 goals we need, not 5

Last time I looked at this thread was 8:20 and this ^^^ was the first new post.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s like Donoghue goes out of his bloody way to track down the most devestated person on the pitch and shove a microphone in his face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Poor James McClean. I feel for the guy. He gave his all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Like interviewing a boxer directly after he's been knocked out, no need for it.

Dunphy nearly in tears too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

alta stare wrote: »
    The damage was done in the first leg never mind the first half.

Nonsense, we showed we could hold them to zero in their own stadium and while an away goal would have been nice, we got one for ourselves 5 minutes in today to have the lead in the tie.

Then they dropped five on us in about 60 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pjohnson wrote: »
    Surely thats a bit extreme

Hes very comfortable im told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dunphy is nearly in tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Going to be plenty of retirements in the wake of this result. Hoolahan, Whelan, O'Shea, Murphy, etc will all most likely call it a day now.

The manager's job is a rebuilding job now and I don't think O'Neill is the right man for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy result, given all our underage success! An no wait...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He even made a balls of going for it by completely throwing structure out the window

Get rid of him

Yup. It exposed how archaic he is.

The bad omen aka Roy Keane should go too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

That early goal was the worst thing that happened to us. We were defending like a side holding a lead in stoppage time fifteen minute into the match.

°°°°°

Where am I going with it? If players make mistakes that lead to goals, what can a manager do to stop that? The system didnt cause a player to leave himself open to be nutmegged , or cause one to loose his footing when trying to clear a ball or make McLean trip Bentner

Train the side to defend properly, hell why not go nuts and go the whole hog and set the side up to play football, that's what the manager is meant to do.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Right us, Italy, The Netherlands, Chile, Scotland, Wales, Nor Iron and The USA need to start our own World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Even if MON leaves, the way Irish football is structured and governed is just piss-poor. That won't be talked about on RTE and it will not change.

Relying on a 35 year old in the second tier of English football to be our creative spark sums it all up. It would be nice if this humiliation resulted in some tough soul-searching and eventual changes but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement